Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

How did the pole grow from the top down idgi

av + post combo much lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hey is tampa like hours away from taking a cat 1 eye straight into the bay ? looks non optimal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But why didn’t they lower the road?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

nice poles. do they go all the way down?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
who even cares if the ground is lower. i never think about my altitude

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

who even cares if the ground is lower. i never think about my altitude

Jerry! No! Pull up!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shear Modulus posted:

all you need to measure the altitude of the ground relative to sea level is a barometer

No, barometers only measure atmospheric pressure, which varies constantly depending upon the weather.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

in order to get mslp from station pressure you'd have to know the altitude anyway, so it's definately from surveys

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Funny, there's a big storm on the way and my barometer says I'm now 100m higher above sea level than I was yesterday!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, barometers only measure atmospheric pressure, which varies constantly depending upon the weather.

An altimeter and a barometer are basically the same device

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You phone probably has a barometer in it with precision of ten pascals, sufficient to register the chagne between the surface of your desk and the floor.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Funny, there's a big storm on the way and my barometer says I'm now 100m higher above sea level than I was yesterday!

Please check that you aren't currently being lifted into the air by a tornado of some sort and get back to us

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Platystemon posted:

You phone probably has a barometer in it with precision of ten pascals, sufficient to register the chagne between the surface of your desk and the floor.

your mum just dropped ten pascals to give me dome

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a barometer is only an altimeter when calibrated to a station with a known altitude

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Maybe that's why California is sinking, too much pressure.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think the top sign on that pole is 52 years old.

Of course that poles 52 years old, and it will last centuries more.

They just really knew how to put in a pole deep to last back then. :colbert:

(The mutant deer that will rule the world in times future, shall come to worship the leafless tree who's top disappears into the clouds.)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

dr_rat posted:

Of course that poles 52 years old, and it will last centuries more.

They just really knew how to put in a pole deep to last back then. :colbert:

(The mutant deer that will rule the world in times future, shall come to worship the leafless tree who's top disappears into the clouds.)

poles grow out of the ground just like trees you dumb libs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Red Baron posted:

poles grow out of the ground just like trees you dumb libs

I will not hear such slanderous blaspheme against earth future god! :argh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nikosoft posted:

I used to think this, but then my grandma moved from there up to Bullhead City. I remember going to visit one summer and there being a health advisory about not drinking the tap water because it was flammable.

drat

Also from a WaPo article today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/07/06/california-west-heat-wave/

quote:

Needles, Calif., along Interstate 40 at the Arizona border, will crest above 115 degrees every day in the coming week, with highs around 120 degrees expected Saturday.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/fightfor15/status/1413234010080391168?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
why are chickfila workers standing outside in the first place, what do they need to be outside for

what am I misunderstanding about the anti-LGBTQ chicken sandwich industry

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

why are chickfila workers standing outside in the first place, what do they need to be outside for

what am I misunderstanding about the anti-LGBTQ chicken sandwich industry

Capitalism.

More workers outside can serve more cars faster. The Chick Fil As in my city are all upgrading to double wide drive thrus so teens can walk around taking iPad orders until they get heat stroke or run over.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They use humans with tablets to move up and down the line to take orders and payment and other humans with wheely carts to move up and down the line to deliver orders so that the speakerbox and window cease to be bottlenecks and orders can be served in non-linear fashion as soon as they're ready.

There was a big noise in the press a few months ago when the manager of one near here applied their methods to unfuck logistics at a vaccination site across the street.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Processor design has been moving toward shorter pipelines and more parallelism for years, nugget processing is no different

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Processor design has been moving toward shorter pipelines and more parallelism for years, nugget processing is no different

Wait. What thread did I just click on?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Is it wrong that the my first thought on seeing those human condoms was "at least they're not yellow?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is it wrong that the my first thought on seeing those human condoms was "at least they're not yellow?"

What kind of condoms do you typically use? :pwn:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BIG HEADLINE posted:

i would want them to be retroreflective neon yellow like a safety vest

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

BIG HEADLINE posted:

good evening mr musk

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It was a "Minions" crack, but whatever it's late on a Thursday. -_-

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i bet

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

What kind of condoms do you typically use? :pwn:

Weather balloons, why

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

This is kinda neat to watch.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSSanAntonio/status/1413563326693613574

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
If death valley set the #2 global air temp last year. If the all time record is decertified over sandstorm heating, and it does actually break 130 today, that'll be two global records in two years

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Spangly A posted:

If death valley set the #2 global air temp last year. If the all time record is decertified over sandstorm heating, and it does actually break 130 today, that'll be two global records in two years

It's happening!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Spangly A posted:

Looks like it happened
https://twitter.com/DrJeffMasters/status/1413662322896289794

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hot enough for ya!?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Still blowing my mind that that is only 10f higher than it was in canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Amazing, my upstairs AC ran for 16.5 hours yesterday. Guess it could be worse.