Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They're just ARGing the new edition of Pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Oof. At least Dragonmeet isn't until late November/December. Maybe it will all be over by then (one way or another).

I certainly won't be going if it isn't and they also gently caress around with mask policy.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, we were never going to be ready for UKGE. I was cautiously optimistic for Dragonmeet but the Tories' insistence on 'gently caress it, let 'em die' as official policy means that we may be in the middle of another lockdown come November.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lilljonas posted:

Sell deadpool, stormtrooper or pokemon masks or whatever and watch the free money pile up.
"It's a GM screen for my face"

e: I kind of want one that says that now

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I put on my mask and wizard hat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

GenCon is pulling the same poo poo

https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/1413247658580496392

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, we were never going to be ready for UKGE. I was cautiously optimistic for Dragonmeet but the Tories' insistence on 'gently caress it, let 'em die' as official policy means that we may be in the middle of another lockdown come November.

You think it'll take to November?At the current rate of increase I'm not sure we'll make it through August.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

potatocubed posted:

If the Tories are keen enough on "gently caress it, let 'em die" then they won't bother calling another lockdown...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah, so it's okay for two groups to go without masks: The vaccinated, and liars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If this stuff makes you guys mad you should get a load of the entire city of Las Vegas. Corporate America has finally decided that COVID is over, and if the Delta variant explodes as predicted it's not clear to me that the ship will come back into the harbor even then, because red states are way past giving a gently caress.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zereth posted:

Ah, so it's okay for two groups to go without masks: The vaccinated, and liars.

Pretty much. My workplace has the same policy starting this week and mysteriously, nobody is wearing any masks at all, not even the people who up until Friday were vocal about refusing vaccination, but apparently somehow got two shots over the weekend. And this is with copies of everyone's vaccination cards on file (by their consent, refusing to provide it is allowed but considered the same as not vaccinated). Gen Con won't even have that.

Enforcement is going to be a nightmare.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did either of you actually bother to read the announcement?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Toshimo posted:

Did either of you actually bother to read the announcement?

Yeah, and I'm in this same state, watching every attempt at documentation and tracking vaccination statuses fail even when you aren't dealing with thousands of strangers who can just take the bloody mask off and think they won't get caught. You seriously underestimate the resistance involved here. I gave my example because we have under threat of termination of employment zero compliance with a mask policy that has the same documentation requirements and procedures, with the sole difference being "wristbands" vs "list distributed to managers of who is approved". If the latter isn't being enforced, the former wouldn't be either at our management:staff ratio. And that's with a sub 1:10 ratio between people monitoring and being monitored, and direct line of sight at all times. I highly doubt GenCon is pulling thousands of rent-a-cops to conduct mask policing.

The only remotely effective step is "proof of vaccination or medical exemption, or you don't enter". Short of that they'll be spending more effort on enforcement than on the rest of the event combined if it's going to work, or more likely, it's just not going to work.

e: I take off my mask and have both hands in my pockets up past the wrist. Are you going to stop me to check status? Are you going to stop every single person with their hands in their pockets every time a rent-a-cop sees that? It rapidly spirals into unmanageable.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 9, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if theme park compliance is anything to go by, Gencon will be mostly maskless. there's no reason to say anyone can go maskless at all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

if theme park compliance is anything to go by, Gencon will be mostly maskless. there's no reason to say anyone can go maskless at all.
At least theme parks are outdoors

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

If you choose to go somewhere like that unvaccinated you have chosen to embrace death anyway. I personally would wear a mask at Gencon even though I am fully vaccinated, but I feel like at this point in America anyone who wants to be vaccinated is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If you choose to go somewhere like that unvaccinated you have chosen to embrace death anyway. I personally would wear a mask at Gencon even though I am fully vaccinated, but I feel like at this point in America anyone who wants to be vaccinated is.

If you are exclusively talking about white folks, maybe. Vaccine access has been a lot iffier in some communities, especially in certain states.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You do realize no vaccine has been approved for people under 12 yet right?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I think if I saw the lovely rules GenCon has embraced, I wouldn't take kids to it

But that's just me

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Definitely shouldn't be going to cons period, but not really a cool thing to say that someone without the autonomy to refuse attendance deserves it because they just don't want to be vaccinated.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Plastic Soldier Company announced they were skipping the UK games expo over the covid policy, I imagine a lot of other companies are as well.

Conventions were mass infection sites before covid. The decision to attend Gencon will literally kill people this year.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What. The. gently caress.

This is a comedy at this point. TSR is back! Michael apparently is real!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/just-when-you-thought-it-was-all-over-now-there%E2%80%99s-a-fourth-tsr.681245/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

https://www.enworld.org/threads/just-when-you-thought-it-was-all-over-now-there%E2%80%99s-a-fourth-tsr.681245/

Man I can't believe this thing keeps topping itself.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

If they can't keep it safe, gencon should not be run, and folks should boycott this.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

What the gently caress is going on anymore?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

StratGoatCom posted:

If they can't keep it safe, gencon should not be run, and folks should boycott this.

They can't keep it safe, but enough people disbelieve COVID that any boycott will fail.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Terrible Opinions posted:

You do realize no vaccine has been approved for people under 12 yet right?

Oh definitely. Too bad kids can't go to Gencon but it is just one of those things.

Mors Rattus posted:

If you are exclusively talking about white folks, maybe. Vaccine access has been a lot iffier in some communities, especially in certain states.

This is fair, for sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Michael K. Hovermale sounds like a made up name an alien would use.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kurieg posted:

"Josh Boyfriend, who is handsome like a F-22 fighter jet" - Thundercracker

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vaccines aren't 100% effective (a 95% effectiveness means, you could roll a d20 and if you roll a natural 1, you get infected, you'd think RPG nerds could internalize that) and vaccinated people can be carriers, and people who attend gencon - vaccinated or not - can carry the virus to unvaccinated people, such as children, even if they are personally asymptomatic. Unless/until we reach a total population vaccination rate that accomplishes effective "herd immunity" - and that may be impossible with variants continuing to pop up - it is not "safe" to gather lots of people together and allow unvaccinated people to go unmasked among them.

Individuals who have no contact with children, people who cannot be vaccinated (rare, but possible - there are people with allergies to vaccine components for example), recent immigrants from countries with little or no vaccination, immunocompromised individuals for whom vaccination may be less or non effective, etc, can make a personal choice whether or not to expose themselves.

But that group is tiny. The vast majority of people are capable of being spreaders. Despite the relaxation of mask mandates, it remains irresponsible to gather people indoors in large groups with no actual or effective mask mandate. Nevertheless, that's what's happening and will continue to happen.

I think it's reasonable to predict that at least one person will die because of gencon's policy. Not necessarily an attendee. Impossible to prove, inflammatory, sure, but defensible on the basis of statistics and facts about vaccine function and infection rates.

If you're vaccinated, and you decide to attend gencon, I'd encourage you to consider wearing a mask, even if you're the only one around doing it. If people ask, tell them you intend to model effective behavior, help unvaccinated or vulnerable people to feel "normal" when wearing a mask, and protect unvaccinated people you might encounter in the next two weeks, since even vaccinated there's a small but nonzero chance you could become a carrier.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like the bit where TSR now have no products.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-riNIqqtIRc

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given this TSR stuff I've got a question: how easy is it for a trademark to lapse? Poking around online it looks like one form at 5-6 years, another at 9-10, and then every 10 years afterward accompanied by a fee of $200-$300. I can understand something being lost for some big collection company or squatter dealing with hundreds of the things, but when it's one trademark that your whole business is based on? Set an alarm, you've got a year and a half (there's a six-month grace period) to do it, "we're still using the trademark, here's a list of our products with it as proof, and here's a check", you're done.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bruceski posted:

Given this TSR stuff I've got a question: how easy is it for a trademark to lapse? Poking around online it looks like one form at 5-6 years, another at 9-10, and then every 10 years afterward accompanied by a fee of $200-$300. I can understand something being lost for some big collection company or squatter dealing with hundreds of the things, but when it's one trademark that your whole business is based on? Set an alarm, you've got a year and a half (there's a six-month grace period) to do it, "we're still using the trademark, here's a list of our products with it as proof, and here's a check", you're done.

In most years? Probably pretty hard to forget.

Last year was 2020.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Nu White Wolf managed to let the Gangrel trademark lapse, somehow.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Forgetting a thing that happens every 10 years is remarkably easy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kurieg posted:

Nu White Wolf managed to let the Gangrel trademark lapse, somehow.

Does this mean it goes to the wrestler now?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, we found out because he registered it in his name.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

I like the bit where TSR now have no products.

Technically, they never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

"Join our community of Game Designer's"

edit: also there is a product called "My Name is Chezza not Pizza," which is also spelled "My Name is Cheezza not Pizza."

homullus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 9, 2021