Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

TheJadedOne posted:

Started playing this cause it is on game pass. I have been playing a couple weeks. My normal play style for Fallout games has always been shotgun/sniper sneak person. I hit 45 and working through some of the Brotherhood quests and suddenly I feel completely underpowered plus constant ammo issues. Also I don't run with power armor cause it feels like getting power cores is an issue for me. Am I missing something or messing up with my perks since I have both shotgun and auto/semi rifle perks instead of focusing down on one?

Use this. Edit it to reflect your current loadout and post the result here.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=1111111

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I swear every time I log in to play this game it's night

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I am out of the house doing stuff so this isn't perfectly accurate but it is decently close and represents sorta how my build has gone. https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...i50s71at1au0a70

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Before you hit lvl 50 (and for a number of levels afterwards) your build is going to be pretty spotty purely because you don't have enough perk cards. Once you can specifically chose the ones you want it gets better.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Something that is a major difference between 76 and other Fallout 3+ is there are unlimited fusion cores compared to just the number that exist in the previous games. If you pick up a core, it will respawn (once you loot at least 200 other items and come back). In the old games the world had a fixed number that become harder and harder to find and only in new locations. 76 kinda throws off the whole "scavenge to stay alive" thing because everything respawns so there's infinite material and zero scarcity.

Not that I am suggesting you switch to Power Armor because it isn't needed, but know that you won't ever run out of cores and as it has been mentioned there's also a factory where you can just stand around and they'll come out the chute every so often.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is there a workaround to this freezing when you exit a weapons workbench situation other then "don't use the weapons bench"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Taerkar posted:

Before you hit lvl 50 (and for a number of levels afterwards) your build is going to be pretty spotty purely because you don't have enough perk cards. Once you can specifically chose the ones you want it gets better.

And if you get a build you're happy with once you hit 100-ish you'll find you stop picking perks when you level up and you end up with a nice backlog of picks if you want to try something new. Man I'm glad I only jumped in to FO76 when the new level 50 respeccing for free / saving SPECIAL builds was a thing, the old way of having to slowly change your point distribution sounded like hell if you felt like changing up your playstyle.

Also BIG note for noobs - when you choose a SPECIAL point in a level up on the way to 50, you don't need to pick the card from the same SPECIAL skill. I fell for this and have seen it mentioned elsewhere multiple times.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 8, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

TheJadedOne posted:

I am out of the house doing stuff so this isn't perfectly accurate but it is decently close and represents sorta how my build has gone. https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...i50s71at1au0a70

I made some changes.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...p10&w=p70au0l60

Strength:
I've ditched Sturdy Frame, Pack Rat and Strong Back. Learn to NOT hoard, scrap everything you find and you'll do just fine. I've ramped up your Shotgun damage and slotted in Blocker for good measure, one of the most important defensive builds and it should always be Blocker 3.

Perception:
Never mix Single shot rifles with Autos, you're crippling both types when it comes to damage output. Focus on one. I've also removed the Lockpick and the Bobblehead detector. The lockpick ones are situational and can be swapped in when needed. For Bobbleheads, you'll sooner or later know where all the spawn points are so it's a bit of a waste. I've focues on autos and upped Tank Killer to 3. And since you want food I've slotted in Green Thumb, with Butchers Bounty on "standby" depending on the Mutation route you want to go in the long run.

Endurace: I've removed everything you had. Quality of Life perks are fine, these 3, however, are a waste. You'll find food quite literally everywhere, same for water, and Rads stop being a problem by the time you realize that pretty much every camp has a decon arch you can use and that Rad Away is in lots of yellow chem containers. Same for Stimpacks. If you are lucky and run into me or any other high level who likes helping the little ones, we'll gladly drown you in those things. :)

I've slotted in Fireproof 3 adn Adamantium Skeleton 2. The first is what makes you immune to most fire damage hazards (excluding Earle's falling embers), shrug of Scorchbeast screams and laugh at explosives. It is one of the most important perks in the game and everyone not using it is doing it wrong. ;)

Charisma: Not much to say about this. 3 Charisma is all you need until you start dealing with mutations, at which point you want 4 Charisma. For now, Tendeizer, one of those little perks that increase your damage output, no matter the weapon type.

Intelligence: There really isn't much under Intelligence a non PA user needs. Gunsmith 5 and Scrapper. Scrapper because swapping that in and out all the time is annoying. Armorer and the Hacker perks are situational. If you find a terminal to hack or want to craft armor, swap them with Gunsmith.

Agility: I've slotted in Adrenaline, Gun Fu, Covert Op, Enforcer and Sneak. Adrenaline increases your damage output, Gun Fu is great for chaining vats targets, Covert Op increases your sneak ranged damage, Sneak is obvious and Enforcer is a crippler perk. You want this when you use shotguns. Just kneecap whatever annoys you and curbstomb them when they're lying on the ground.

Ammosmith is situational, swap it in when you craft ammo. White Knight is a waste, although I can see why you have it. At your level repairing stuff is not as easy as it is for us. Once you start killing the Queen, or at least participate successfully in Scorched Earth, you'll be drowning in repair kits. I've dropped 300 earlier today because I had over 500 and they do weigh a fair bit.

Until then, you can keep it in and ditch Gun Fu for now.

Luck: Until Ammo becomes a non issue you can leave Scrounger in although I never saw a real use for it. Enemies drop enough poo poo ammo you can convert at an Ammo Converter. Granted, that things is a UI shitshow but it gets the job done. Good with Salt is Ok, I've added Ricochet for additional protection. Even at 1* it fires often enough to keep you alive for much, much longer.

That's all for now. Feel free to ask if you need more help although you should expect more walls of text from me, I try to help people with their builds all the time. :)

And yes, it does get a lot easier from about level 70 on. 50 is the cap but you'll need a couple more to get enough perk points for the perks and their upgrades.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CapnBry posted:

Something that is a major difference between 76 and other Fallout 3+ is there are unlimited fusion cores compared to just the number that exist in the previous games. If you pick up a core, it will respawn (once you loot at least 200 other items and come back). In the old games the world had a fixed number that become harder and harder to find and only in new locations. 76 kinda throws off the whole "scavenge to stay alive" thing because everything respawns so there's infinite material and zero scarcity.

Not that I am suggesting you switch to Power Armor because it isn't needed, but know that you won't ever run out of cores and as it has been mentioned there's also a factory where you can just stand around and they'll come out the chute every so often.

It's 255 items. There is a house at the entrance of Summersville with a couple hundred burned books, it's perfect for world spawn resets. :)

It's also worth noting that the Legendary Perk Energy Absorption makes farming for Fusion cores absolutely redundant once you have 10 or so. Just let some mob with an energy weapon spray you and it's full again. Plus, it heals you.

I suggest annoying Assaultrons. Their face melter does gently caress all with that perk and your core and health bar will be full in a second or so. ;)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

And if you get a build you're happy with once you hit 100-ish you'll find you stop picking perks when you level up and you end up with a nice backlog of picks if you want to try something new. Man I'm glad I only jumped in to FO76 when the new level 50 respeccing for free / saving SPECIAL builds was a thing, the old way of having to slowly change your point distribution sounded like hell if you felt like changing up your playstyle.

It also cost a fortune in perk cards. I lost out on easily 150 or so just because I switched my build every 100-200 levels. :(

Sorry for the triple post. :shobon:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So is there a way to get my Atoms refunded if I accidentally bought something in the Atom Shop? I was getting the daily login freebie and hit the A button by mistake when looking at the power armor colors. There really needs to be a confirm prompt when buy something.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

MH Knights posted:

So is there a way to get my Atoms refunded if I accidentally bought something in the Atom Shop? I was getting the daily login freebie and hit the A button by mistake when looking at the power armor colors. There really needs to be a confirm prompt when buy something.

Only thing you really can do is contact customer support and hope for the best

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Why am I having fun on FO76

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Dear Bethesda,

I ran into a guy in Foundation who claimed to be from Pittsburgh, and speaking as someone from western PA, his accent is, well, :wrong:

Sounds like a bad mix of Chicago and Boston.

Next time, go on Youtube and search for "Pittsburgh Dad". That's a Pittsburgh accent.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Apparently the new update has resulted in people taking advantage of a way to dupe items that requires crashing the server, resulting in players on the public server getting disconnected repeatedly. The guide I found on YouTube explaining the dupe process is interesting because it seems to involve making use of several different bugs in the lead-up to the server crash, and presumably fixing any 1 of the issues would prevent the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rOAiaUbdE

It's unclear if this is an old method that had previously been 'fixed' and somehow became broken again, or if it's something that has always existed in the game and it's just the introduction of legendary power armor that has motivated people to start doing it again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think they know how to identify dupes or something, they did a thing awhile ago where they deleted some.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I think they know how to identify dupes or something, they did a thing awhile ago where they deleted some.
I think you're referencing an action they took over 2 years ago:

I don't think they could identify whether items had been duped or not, they just made a list of commonly duped items and removed duplicate instances of anything on the list from players' inventories (leaving players with just 1 copy of the item). Since it didn't result in bans and wouldn't affect the economy of selling duped items to others, it doesn't sound like much of a deterrent.

There are also reports about some ban waves in the past, but they revolved around the use of scripts or 3rd-party software to facilitate duping or hacking in Nuclear Winter.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I got another legendary perk leveled up and now I can't decide if I want to ditch either ammo factory or poison resistance so I can work on maxing out luck.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I just slot AF in when I need more ammo. Which isn't that often thanks to Bandolier and DO farming.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I did a lot of ammo crafting when I was using my HW build. Final Word eats .50 and the DOs don't quite return enough. I'm mainly using a shotgun now so I'm having to craft less, but there's been a couple of times that my ammo reserve has dropped from almost 1k rounds to just over 100.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Presto posted:

Dear Bethesda,

I ran into a guy in Foundation who claimed to be from Pittsburgh, and speaking as someone from western PA, his accent is, well, :wrong:

Sounds like a bad mix of Chicago and Boston.

Next time, go on Youtube and search for "Pittsburgh Dad". That's a Pittsburgh accent.

Drives me freaking insane. That one girl that yells out something like 'It's slippy out! YEAH!'. Doesn't even make any sense.

In general they just took generic words from all around W. Va. and PA and just randomly yell them out.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
lmao the binary choice at the end of the new content

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well those new quests were pretty meh but at least I got 50% of what I wanted.

I like how at the end they just give you a title because your not an npc and push you off the door.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Glad to see you made the only sensible choice

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Taerkar posted:

I did a lot of ammo crafting when I was using my HW build. Final Word eats .50 and the DOs don't quite return enough. I'm mainly using a shotgun now so I'm having to craft less, but there's been a couple of times that my ammo reserve has dropped from almost 1k rounds to just over 100.

My FW is primed, crafting UC .50 yields is reasonably cheap as you only need Violet Flux, not Cobalt. For DOs I'd recommend a different weapon for the mobs and FW only for the boss. The weapon the boss gets killed with determines the ammo reward.

My daily driver in PA is a Bloodied Flamer, those things are incredibly ammo efficient and the drops in DO are way more then I need to roast a mob.

Outside of PA I normally use a Fixer but running the season at the rate I'm going I'm constantly low on .45 and crafting it with all the perks yields 54 or so rounds a pop. That's a joke. So I switched to a Handmade as daily driver and use the Quad Fixer only on the queen or for earle. Half the muties in West Tek drop 5.56.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually having fun playing this time around in GamesPass. I got roped in early by a friend who…legit…loves FO76, but Jesus that game was atrocious back then and empty.

One thing I kind of like about this game is the setting being so soon after the war…well relatively speaking. I just feel having the same group of baddies kinds of stinks. But it is a nice change from 3/4 and kind of reminds me of Far Cry New Dawn, just not as good looking or gameplay wise, but it’s nice that everything isn’t set permanently to Terminator Salvation type color palette.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My ultracite gun is a 3 star explosive gatlin gun. It's slow as hell but ammo is never a worry. I make 10k rounds and I'm set for a week minimum.

In chinese stealth armor, with marsupial and speed demon. It's ridiculous and fun.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Doing the Foundation Wastelander line. Got the Trade secrets one and I think it is just bugged to unfixing. Got the first card, swiped it in basement, it opened the door but I can't enter the laser grid. Went up to console, it asked for secondary entry. I did that and nothing. Everything I've seen on google hasn't fixed it so I guess it is Raiders for me.

Edit: yo! Glad the age old solution of bitching about it on SA still works. Fixed.

TheJadedOne fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Explosive enemies in the Galleria is my favourite OP combo I think, impossible to get lost, long sightlines and Fireproof3 makes shooting at point-blank a nonissue.

The Blood Eagles are so squishy if you hit them with anything heavy, usually out in the world I use a handmade on humans & scorched - the TSE Railway is for Supermutants and big things, but in the OP where time is precious, it's explosive nails for all.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Minerva is in Foundation today and selling the War Glaive weapon plan for 2000 gold bullion.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
To conserve ammo I've decided to make a Bloodied Melee build and it's really absurd how easy this game is. 2 levels and I've yet to die even once.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Minerva is in Foundation today and selling the War Glaive weapon plan for 2000 gold bullion.

I saw this:

I have enough bullion to buy all the SS armor bits apart from the helmet, but that will knock me back a couple weeks on my previous plan of a buttressed jetpack chest piece first off (another 2500 bullion)

Q: is the SS helmet a required piece for Funky Duds and other 'all similar armor piece' perks, ie you need all 6 bits rather than just 5?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I saw this:

I have enough bullion to buy all the SS armor bits apart from the helmet, but that will knock me back a couple weeks on my previous plan of a buttressed jetpack chest piece first off (another 2500 bullion)

Q: is the SS helmet a required piece for Funky Duds and other 'all similar armor piece' perks, ie you need all 6 bits rather than just 5?

Helmets never count for any full set requirements in normal armor.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
For anyone interested in what Minerva will offer over the coming weeks, this has been datamined.

1 is the current cycle.

Every 4th cycle she'll sell everything from the last 3 at the same time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sensenmann posted:

For anyone interested in what Minerva will offer over the coming weeks, this has been datamined.

1 is the current cycle.

Every 4th cycle she'll sell everything from the last 3 at the same time.

Nice, the SS Jetpack comes up week three when I should have scraped enough GB together (and also week 4 if I'm a little short).

Shame the SS Limb Increased Capacity mod that week is only Pocketed and not Deep Pocketed though.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nice, the SS Jetpack comes up week three when I should have scraped enough GB together (and also week 4 if I'm a little short).

Shame the SS Limb Increased Capacity mod that week is only Pocketed and not Deep Pocketed though.

SS Jetpack owns. Too bad it spoils you as you'll never wear any other armor ever again. :)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Just hit level 1000 and spot 76 on the Scoreboard.

The PA paint you unlock at that point isn't bad but I still prefer the holo helmet from last season.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sensenmann posted:

To conserve ammo I've decided to make a Bloodied Melee build and it's really absurd how easy this game is. 2 levels and I've yet to die even once.

You don't even need perk cards outside of incisor and martial artist. That's why I keep those 2 slotted.

Str+15 str from legendary armor+bloodied+low life mutation+melee mutation= a boat load of melee dmg.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 13, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is the war glaive higher dmg than the bone hammer? I have a bloodied fast swings version, but with legendary crafting it might be that hard to get war glaive like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Is the war glaive higher dmg than the bone hammer? I have a bloodied fast swings version, but with legendary crafting it might be that hard to get war glaive like that.

Yes although not by much. However, unlike the Bone Hammer, it can be modded, so there's that.