Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

The Remastered version on Xbox One, sure, but not the original 360 version that's backwards compatible!

That version didn't even get boosted past 30fps on PC, officially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I bought the SX version of NBA2K21 on sale because I generally like the myplayer story. It's shut down my Series X completely twice now. Doesn't hang or freeze just blinks out during cutscenes. I've played a lot of games on it but this is the only one that I've played with multiple hardlocks.

And when I was in the high school baller phase my tits kept popping out of my jersey

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
All AAA sports games are bad now, it’s the sad truth

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Except the NHL games, EA don't care enough about those to ruin them.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why isn’t Gears 5 more popular? I just picked up a Series X and am catching up on Xbox franchises I haven’t touched in a decade. Gears 5 seems very polished and well made, but it’s way at the bottom of the most played games list?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I really enjoyed the early Gears of War games on the 360. Didn't own an xbox one, so after getting my XSX it was one of the first games I tried and I certainly found it to be a videogame.

I mean it wasn't great in my opinion, but it was also not bad. It is a perfectly serviceable videogame, I just see no reason to play it while there is so much else that could be played instead. It just seems bland, it plays it safe and does nothing bad but also nothing great. But yes it is polished and well made.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

beggar posted:

I bought the SX version of NBA2K21 on sale because I generally like the myplayer story. It's shut down my Series X completely twice now. Doesn't hang or freeze just blinks out during cutscenes. I've played a lot of games on it but this is the only one that I've played with multiple hardlocks.

And when I was in the high school baller phase my tits kept popping out of my jersey

Where’s your abs?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Papes posted:

All AAA sports games are bad now, it’s the sad truth

It’s crazy to say this when The Show is finally on Xbox.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Show is a baseball game and bad by definition.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It’s crazy to say this when The Show is finally on Xbox.

Sorry y’all got a bad version. Super mega baseball 3 is the best baseball game out now

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Seltzer posted:

I wish Xbox would try to compete there and also make a new KI but it doesnt seem to be a priority

It is a priority for them. The original KI devs were bought by Amazon and the devs that took over development want to avoid making a sequel because they're a small studio and it's a lot of pressure for them. They've said they're incredibly proud of what they accomplished but it was tough and with expectations being so high now they want to avoid all the stress and pressure. Phil Spencer & co. recently stated that they've been looking for a new team for a while now but they want it to be the right one, not just anyone, so a sequel is definitely coming but it may take a while.

The KI reboot was a lightning in a bottle scenario with all the right people at the right time, and now there's too much pressure for Iron Galaxy. Rare helped with development of the game and will presumably lend a hand again to whoever makes a sequel but at the time they had some big names and a lot of passion going into bringing the IP back. Unfortunately Amazon happened and despite their talents and help from Rare, Iron Galaxy had a tough time taking the reigns despite doing an incredible job.

Ninja Theory has multiple teams and I'm not sure what the split is for people working on Hellblade 2 and that other game but they could probably handle a KI sequel if they weren't busy. Wouldn't be surprised if Xbox created a small studio to handle the IP though, they could probably pick some of the talent from the first game and build around that, especially since Amazon's gaming ambitions seem to have sunk.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Akuma posted:

The Remastered version on Xbox One, sure, but not the original 360 version that's backwards compatible!

Yea, and aside from the frame rate its the better version. Literally almost all the changes they made to to the actual game were for the worse. I actually popped in the 360 disc the other week and played it a bit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

Yea, and aside from the frame rate its the better version. Literally almost all the changes they made to to the actual game were for the worse. I actually popped in the 360 disc the other week and played it a bit.
I mean being in 4K is also pretty good.

But what changes didn't you like? They all seemed like sensible QoL improvements to me...

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
do i get anything special for playing through the gears 5 campaign on the hardest difficulty

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why isn’t Gears 5 more popular? I just picked up a Series X and am catching up on Xbox franchises I haven’t touched in a decade. Gears 5 seems very polished and well made, but it’s way at the bottom of the most played games list?

A lot of the purists put Gears of War 2 or 3 as the pinnacle of the series and since then the design direction has changed quite a bit, which they don't like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalWT8oNxhk

Edit: Also maybe cover shooters are just a declining genre in general. The rumours say that The Coalition are working on an original title for their next game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Gears 6 announced for awhile.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 9, 2021

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Fanatic posted:

A lot of the purists put Gears of War 2 or 3 as the pinnacle of the series and since then the design direction has changed quite a bit, which they don't like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalWT8oNxhk

Edit: Also maybe cover shooters are just a declining genre in general. The rumours say that The Coalition are working on an original title for their next game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Gears 6 announced for awhile.

Thanks for posting this, it makes sense now. I never played a Gears game before so I never knew how the series had evolved. That video is quite… condemning.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I thought gears 5 was pretty good. Not too long ago a buddy of mine was visiting and we played 3 player local coop with my son through the hive busters campaign on experienced difficulty and had a great time. Might have been the Belgian quads...

Local coop has much improved with the advent of gigantic televisions. Not sure how we ever played four player goldeneye on 19 inch crts.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

We made do. Things were simpler then. Plus the graphics weren’t as detailed.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Don't think I saw this mentioned, but the Kickstarter for that attachable Series S screen is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xscreen/xscreen-for-xbox-series-s/description

If I hadn't already bought a portable USB-C monitor a while ago, this would be very tempting. It's still pretty tempting, though obviously comes with all the usual risks of a Kickstarter

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

mem posted:

I thought gears 5 was pretty good. Not too long ago a buddy of mine was visiting and we played 3 player local coop with my son through the hive busters campaign on experienced difficulty and had a great time. Might have been the Belgian quads...

Local coop has much improved with the advent of gigantic televisions. Not sure how we ever played four player goldeneye on 19 inch crts.

Yeah, it's not a bad game. I enjoyed the co-op for it too and the Series X enhancements are great. The fact that it's still in the top 25 despite being 2 years old is a pretty good achievement tbh. It's doing better than Outriders and that came out this year. :v:

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

loudog999 posted:

Is there a certain headset that I should be suing with my Series X? My go to with my PS5 was the Gold headset but not sure if it works or if I would be missing out on "3D Audio."

I'm using my ("Playstation licensed" whoops) HyperX Cloud's.
On PS4/5 the system detects when I plug in the 3,5" jack to my controller, but on Xbox I have to change the output manually in Xbox settings to headset. Which kind of sucks.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sioux posted:

I'm using my ("Playstation licensed" whoops) HyperX Cloud's.
On PS4/5 the system detects when I plug in the 3,5" jack to my controller, but on Xbox I have to change the output manually in Xbox settings to headset. Which kind of sucks.

Are you talking about how the PlayStation mutes audio to the TV when a headset is plugged in? I've never had an issue plugging a headset into my Xbox controller, but the Xbox doesn't mute other output.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they mean routing the audio to the headphones, I've had that problem once or twice as well. Never had the issue on PS4 with the exact same headphones.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I don’t think I’ve played a gears campaign since number 1. I don’t find the popping out from cover to shoot bullet spongey enemies that fun.

I absolutely love shotgunning people in multiplayer though, one of the most satisfying feelings ever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The only feature I miss on the Xbox vs PS5 is the ability to auto-mute speaker output when connecting a headset to my controller.

It really sucks because I use a pc monitor that has decent speakers but sometimes my wife wants to use the office too without hearing monsters and zombies exploding.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Free game on Xbox Live.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1413501621804224516

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

time to get goonin'

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Cloks posted:

time to get goonin'

I like it, looks good!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cloks posted:

time to get goonin'

Nice. Mine is arriving later this afternoon :dance:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Watched that Halo MP trailer and I'm gonna be so annoyed if I can't buy an Xbox by the time that comes out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
From what I've read it's starting to get easier to pick one up. You still have to be watching for stock update alerts but you get a few minutes to check out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deathloop coming to Xbox on September 14th 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

From what I've read it's starting to get easier to pick one up. You still have to be watching for stock update alerts but you get a few minutes to check out.

When I got my S this week I just walked into a store and saw it on the shelf. The X might be a different matter but S’s are fairly easy to find around here at this point.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I suppose the situation is different in the US but over here the X is not that difficult to get, if you don't mind buying second hand.

(Czech MSRP is 13499 CZK)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

If you want a series x, use the hotstock app (its free). I started looking last Thursday and secured one this Monday. Hotstock is the way to go for Xbox because local targets are regularly getting stock in stores that you can buy via the target app (I used the Twitter method for PS5)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Deathloop coming to Xbox on September 14th 2022

May as well just wait since it'll be on gamepass.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Thing is I have a bunch of store credit so it makes the most sense for me to buy from Microsoft directly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m trying to find a S or X in Tokyo and it’s maddening. Amazon and Rakuten have some available…for $100/180 above MSRP, respectively. I’m real close to just biting the bullet on that for the Series S and justifying it as how much it would cost to have it shipped from the U.S.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

harperdc posted:

I’m trying to find a S or X in Tokyo and it’s maddening. Amazon and Rakuten have some available…for $100/180 above MSRP, respectively. I’m real close to just biting the bullet on that for the Series S and justifying it as how much it would cost to have it shipped from the U.S.

Get the X

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

In Western and Northern Europe the Series S is readily available in many countries. Amazon FR, DE, ES and IT all have it and I’ve found some other smaller retailers that have stock online. The very large Nordic chain Elkjøp has plenty of units too.

The X, however, is basically out of stock everywhere unless you are willing to pay extra to scalpers or small shops that just happen to have an extra on hand for $300-500 USD above RRP.

It looks like mid-late August will have more X shipments coming in. At least that’s what Elkjøp says.

The various stock monitoring solutions only serve US and UK results (and many of those retailers don’t do international shipping) so for everyone else it’s a real hassle trying to get one.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Seltzer posted:

Get the X
It's a given that anyone who posts on here should get the X

The S is for your kid who only plays warzone/fornite etc. or normies who will play like one game and nothing else