Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I have an FSA Orbit Z top half I can use. Only reason I don't use the bottom is cuz I'd steepen the HTA a bit. Assuming HTA is calculated with the specced headset stack, which... I dunno?

You can use the CC stuff just pilfer that one spacer from the FSA and you're golden. Once I put that in my CC10 has been perfect and I beat the poo poo out of that cross bike.

Speaking of cross the guy that organized the best race of the CX season stepped down, the venue is under new ownership, and their entire organization that hosted 2 of the best races of the year is apparently disbanding. Another two clubs stopped hosting their races last year (before the season got scrubbed completely) so that leaves at most 4 races if they happen at all this year. Glad I didn't buy a new CX bike.

I was thinking about not racing anyways because with CX being cancelled last year I started duck hunting which is the exact same weekends as CX and that's something I can do with my better half and mountain biking in the fall is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

You can use the CC stuff just pilfer that one spacer from the FSA and you're golden. Once I put that in my CC10 has been perfect and I beat the poo poo out of that cross bike.

Since I'm not a bike shop, I guess I'll go with the FSA top half instead of spending $1.50 plus shipping to get the spacer. At least I don't see anything that thin in my FSA set?

I could use the FSA compression ring... it'd sit more proud of the bearing. But more than 0.25mm.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh when you mentioned using the top cap from an FSA headset that meant you would have the spacer as well seeing as a lot of FSA headsets come with one. I just looked and yours doesn't.

Run the headset, it should be fine, and worst case if it starts coming loose is ya run the other ring. Hell, when mine started coming loose I literally field stripped it and put one of my 5mm spacers under the top cap on top of the compression ring. Ya it made my headset look gap toothed but it worked fine until I got the proper spacers.

The .25mm spacer is one of those parts that a shop might have in their poo poo bin and be willing to give away for free or at least super cheap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Run the headset, it should be fine, and worst case if it starts coming loose is ya run the other ring.

Yeah, I guess my main dread was having to pull the whole cup, for which I don't have a real punch. I split a piece of conduit and used it once and probably bent it enough that it couldn't be used again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL I tried the exact same thing to get the cup out of an old MTB I had before I started working in a shop but in my case it didn't work and I ended up having to just pay the shop to bang it out for me and press the new one in.

Running the entire FSA top assembly along with a CC bottom will work just fine if you go that route but before that seriously just throw the CC Ten on and see how it goes. My issue where I needed that spacer isn't common, tons of people run the Ten with no issues. Worst case if you run into problems of it just not staying tight over time do what I did. Throw a 5mm spacer under the top cap, it worked fine for me for several stupid hard rides last fall, and ride it like that for the week or two it takes to find that spacer or for a shop to put the Orbit top in.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
New bikes are coming out in shops with SRAM Rival Etap. They are anything but cheap and cost more than Ultegra DI2.
I thought that Rival was like 105 ? Was SRAM always more expensive than Shimano ?
It’s still 1 gear more and less câbles than Ultegra DI2… but 600g heavier.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krogort posted:

New bikes are coming out in shops with SRAM Rival Etap. They are anything but cheap and cost more than Ultegra DI2.
I thought that Rival was like 105 ? Was SRAM always more expensive than Shimano ?
It’s still 1 gear more and less câbles than Ultegra DI2… but 600g heavier.

Rival is roughly 105, although its 12 speed vs 11 like you said.

Where are you seeing Rival AXS more than an Ultegra di2 bike? Something like a Tarmac SL7 Comp is $4800 for Rival and the cheapest Ultegra di2 is $5500.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
BMC Roadmachine
Or maybe the DI2 was 2021 ans the Rival a 2022.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Krogort posted:

BMC Roadmachine
Or maybe the DI2 was 2021 ans the Rival a 2022.

For the Cervelo Caledonia - the Rival ETAP is the same price as the Ultegra Mechanical. Sir Lewis is right on this one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This Surly paint is thick and sloppy. No surprise.

All the larger differences in lighting are specks of paint.

A bit more disappointing is how seemingly not flat the HT and BB shell are, after I sanded down with a sanding block.
Top of HT is decent:

But bottom is pretty bad.

Sides of the BB were a bit better than the above.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

uhhh you should really use a facing tool, not a sanding block.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I just got my bike back from my LBS and the freehub that was serviced in my vision 35 back wheel is noticeably quieter than it was before. Is this normal/could it have to do with the new bearings they put in? The person who serviced it broke the 11 speed body doing so and ended up also replacing that, could that have to do with it?

The wheel spins just fine, for what it's worth, but I'm curious

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

I just got my bike back from my LBS and the freehub that was serviced in my vision 35 back wheel is noticeably quieter than it was before. Is this normal/could it have to do with the new bearings they put in? The person who serviced it broke the 11 speed body doing so and ended up also replacing that, could that have to do with it?

The wheel spins just fine, for what it's worth, but I'm curious

Probably just has new/sufficient grease in it, quieting down the pawls.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I figured it'd be something like that! Thanks for the peace of mind :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

uhhh you should really use a facing tool, not a sanding block.

drat, where were you in the repair thread?
Yeah, the sanding was just to see how good or bad the situation was, not any attempt to correct the issue.
I'm indifferent on the BB shell since the threading should have as much an effect on the alignment.
With the headtube, just gambling that they're good enough.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

drat, where were you in the repair thread?
Yeah, the sanding was just to see how good or bad the situation was, not any attempt to correct the issue.
I'm indifferent on the BB shell since the threading should have as much an effect on the alignment.
With the headtube, just gambling that they're good enough.

I mean yeah, I know you know.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ream and face is a while-u-wait job at the shop. What's it cost, $10-15? Some guys might do it for free

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Caught a flat from a piece of wire today, and the little hose from my pump wouldn't unscrew without taking the valve core with it, so:

Got me the last three miles home. A nice dude stopped to see if I was okay too, turns out he's in town for a month-ish for work and has been looking for people to ride with. So I might get murdered by a stranger this weekend, but hopefully there'll be a fun group ride first.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you ride with removable valve cores always carry a valve core tool, so that you can tighten those fuckers down so they don't come out. They weigh nothing and are the smaller than a chapstick.

Learned that lesson the hard way, too. It seems that Continental tubes with removable cores do not come from the factory tight enough and any sort of screw-on pump will yank them right out.

And with tubeless its even more of a no-brainer.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 9, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
A smidge of blue loctite on your valve core thread will do wonders for preventing accidental removing. But like the person above me said, carrying a spare tool is probably wise too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Last night's group ride decided to give this a go

https://www.strava.com/segments/12559959

A few of us managed it, most (very much including myself) did not. Almost stacked it at the 40% bit and had to dive off

Oh did I mention it's on cobbles?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That looks brutal. I think that's the point where cobbles become a traction device. Whenever I saw these circular cutouts start showing up on the road I knew the next little bit was gonna suck. I called them gently caress You Dots.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If I get a Trek Domane with 2 sets of wheels:
1 with 28mm tires, 35mm carbon rims and a 33 cassette for the road
1 with 38mm tires, alloy rims and a 36 cassette for gravel

Can I swap both wheelsets and keep the same chain ?

I'm also worried the Trek Domane would be too sluggish.

Other option at the same price is a BCM Teammachine SLR 4 with 40mm mavics wheels. It looks faster but not as comfy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Depends on the drivetrain and what you're running for front rings if you're running a double. Because my cross and gravel bikes both have 46/36 on the front going from a 28 to a 34 hasn't been an issue for me but if I were to try that on a bike with a road crank it wouldn't work in small small.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
33 to 36 should be fine, wouldn't go below 32 though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krogort posted:

Other option at the same price is a BCM Teammachine SLR 4 with 40mm mavics wheels. It looks faster but not as comfy.

Sluggish in what way? My buddy just did a 27mph average speed race on his Domane with 32 or 38mm wheels

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Depends on the drivetrain and what you're running for front rings if you're running a double. Because my cross and gravel bikes both have 46/36 on the front going from a 28 to a 34 hasn't been an issue for me but if I were to try that on a bike with a road crank it wouldn't work in small small.

It’s got a double front: 46x33
It’s sold with a 10-36 cassette, which I want to use on the gravel wheels.

Sluggish as in a bit like a full suspension bike without lock. It seem that half the internet think the domane is slow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Krogort posted:

It’s got a double front: 46x33
It’s sold with a 10-36 cassette, which I want to use on the gravel wheels.
Putting on a 33 cassette is prob gonna be fine. RD might be a bit slack in 33x33.

quote:

Sluggish as in a bit like a full suspension bike without lock. It seem that half the internet think the domane is slow.
Afaik, there's no damping on the seatpost Isospeed, so it's not robbing you of energy while flexing.
In any case, putting it on max stiffness should help reduce the sensation of losing power under movement.
It's something probably best answered, unfortunately, with real test riding.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Krogort posted:

I have done 28 to 36 with the same chain, but it takes major b-screw adjustment, and still kinda sucks. Would not recommend.

Also: just get the faster bike. You can make any bike comfy by using the right size tires. All the road bike suspension poo poo like isospeed is marketing BS for old people.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

I have done 28 to 36 with the same chain, but it takes major b-screw adjustment, and still kinda sucks. Would not recommend.

Also: just get the faster bike. You can make any bike comfy by using the right size tires. All the road bike suspension poo poo like isospeed is marketing BS for old people.

Rear IsoSpeed works a treat and the Domane can fit way wider tires than the Teammachine.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Krogort posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but I was under the impression that you shouldn't run the same brake pads on carbon rims that have been run on alloy rims. Something to think about.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the rim material was just some extra notes. Domanes are disc brake now.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Krogort, what kind of riding do you want to do with this bike? You're posting a lot of different types of biek, from skinnytire-only endurance bike (the Cube), to full on racebiek (the BMC), to could-almost-be-a-gravel-bike (the Domane).

Hard to know how to offer input without knowing what you want to do.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

kimbo305 posted:

I think the rim material was just some extra notes. Domanes are disc brake now.

Oh duh. I totally forgot that all bikes are disc now. Ha! I only have disc brakes on my MTB, and am coming to terms with them. Looking forward to having them on my next road bike.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone have any recommendations for shoes that are good for riding flats that aren't chunky/heavy/hot MTB style shoes? I'm not opposed to buying some spd compatible casual road shoes but just not installing clipless pedals for a while. I've been eyeing these since they're cheap, but they look like they might not breathe very well: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=101601.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

That looks brutal. I think that's the point where cobbles become a traction device. Whenever I saw these circular cutouts start showing up on the road I knew the next little bit was gonna suck. I called them gently caress You Dots.

This isn't Tochigi prefecture, is it? They've got some great climbing. Irohazaka is definitely on my bucket list:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is where I grew up.

It’s an absolute killer, only since the 90s did they get the constant road closures because of rock falls fixed and sort the barriers out.

Here’s some much better cyclists than me’s report on it.

https://cyclinguphill.com/snake-pass/

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

bicievino posted:

Krogort, what kind of riding do you want to do with this bike? You're posting a lot of different types of biek, from skinnytire-only endurance bike (the Cube), to full on racebiek (the BMC), to could-almost-be-a-gravel-bike (the Domane).

Hard to know how to offer input without knowing what you want to do.

South of France roads, so generally good surfaces and goes from moderately hilly (difficult to climb less than 400m over 50km) to actual mountains.
I don’t race and I do solo and group rides of 50 to 100km depending on the mood. Sometime I might do some longer rides as part of a trip but it’s unusual enough not to matter.
I think a sporty endurance bike with 28mm tires would be best to be honest, but the Domane caught my interest because you can easily turn it into a gravel bike.
Except there are no gravel roads here, even farm roads have asphalt, sometime bad asphalt but still rideable with a road bike.
I am also very limited by what’s in stock.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 9, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Krogort posted:

I think a racey endurance bike would be best to be honest, but the Domane caught my interest because you can easily turn it into a gravel bike.
Except there are no gravel roads here, even farm roads have asphalt, sometime bad asphalt but still rideable with a road bike.

What do you see as the difference between this next bike and the Cube Agree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This isn't Tochigi prefecture, is it? They've got some great climbing. Irohazaka is definitely on my bucket list:

It's the Kuragari Pass between Osaka and Nara. It was a rough way to start an already late day, but the deer in Nara were worth it, and the night riding from Nara to Kyoto was gorgeous with how all the dams were lit up in blue after dark.

I was originally planning on going north from Kyoto through the alps to Nikko, but I realized there was no way I would make it to Tokyo in time so I did the Tokaido route instead from there. I think the next time I'm able to do a trip I'll start from Kyoto and do the mountain route; I was definitely looking forward to riding those switchbacks and was sad I had to put it on hold.