Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kindest Forums User posted:

Has journalism always been this pathetic?

unequivocally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
One again, Glenn's right.

Man, does Kyle look like a cowardly little weasel in all this too

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

There really was a golden age of journalism after the war, when major TV news outlets and newspapers poured money into it because the competition was seen as via prestige as opposed to raw viewership/readership/engagement and shorter term profit. It faded away in the 70s and was completely gone under Reagan.

Not saying the major players weren’t propaganda outlets but it wasn’t as bad as now. Media outlet ownership rules were tighter then, Sinclair as it exists now would be expressly illegal for example. Another Cronkite wouldn’t be tolerated today

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Greg Legg posted:

Glenn's a peculiar man. You could even say he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that.

Everybody wants something, if not for themselves then for their families.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Kindest Forums User posted:

Has journalism always been this pathetic?
in country where politics is dead, politics and entertainment are one in the same. during the dem primary we opened up the political Schrodinger's box, and found Biden's dead body with ice cream smeared all over his mouth. this kind of feuding really ratcheted up to whole new level after that. energy (from the consumers and creators) is poured into these interpersonal dramas even more because there's nowhere for it go since we closed the door for any political and material change

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

it wasn’t as bad as now

it most assuredly was as poor quality. the only difference now is its ubiquity

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

The difference now is it's easier to access the alt media commentariat online, to get a better sense of just how much your consent is being manufactured. Not that it matters. You're at the same time more keenly aware of the manipulation and powerless to do anything to stop it. Hell you'll even assent to it sometimes, validate it, just to avoid pissing off coworkers or family. Fully aware of your own collusion.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

agreed but that’s a different point. everyone here agrees mainstream journalism has always been propaganda, but on top of that I’m saying that journalism has also always been tripe; poor quality nonsense with a veneer of legitimacy

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What, uh, does Ana Kasparian mean by 'that a friend got bullied by the perpetrator into falsely accusing me of blackmailing him'? Is she not just admitting that someone claimed she blackmailed them (Dore or the friend, I dunno which in this case), at the behest of Jimmy loving Dore? What, uh, leverage does Jimmy Dore have, professionally, socially, politically, PHYSICALLY even, to bully anyone into doing something like that?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Apoplexy posted:

What, uh, does Ana Kasparian mean by 'that a friend got bullied by the perpetrator into falsely accusing me of blackmailing him'? Is she not just admitting that someone claimed she blackmailed them (Dore or the friend, I dunno which in this case), at the behest of Jimmy loving Dore? What, uh, leverage does Jimmy Dore have, professionally, socially, politically, PHYSICALLY even, to bully anyone into doing something like that?

i think she’s trying to say jimmy bullied kyle kulinski into taking jimmys side in all this

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoXZP4m-Af8

glenn greenwald does a pretty good job summarizing whats going on with all this drama. also, defends against accusations of grooming out of nowhere several times? tell me glenn, why is that on your mind?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

glenn greenwald does a pretty good job summarizing whats going on with all this drama. also, defends against accusations of grooming out of nowhere several times? tell me glenn, why is that on your mind?

didn't know xeni jardin posts here

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Delta-Wye posted:

lol that alex morse thing has been known bullshit for over a year what are you talking about

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
lets bring back age-gap discourse on whether or not a man can gently caress another consenting man thats always fun

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

Safe to say Ana is clearly having a mental breakdown from all this. She’s only going to get more unhinged and stupid the more she doubles down :munch:

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1412278625907494912?s=20

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i think journalism just seems more pathetic now because twitter has exposed nearly all of them as self-important whiners. no doubt trump constantly making GBS threads on them for 5 years accelerated this

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
God bless trump

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The only relatable thing about Trump was his utter contempt for the media.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

On top of his contempt for Hillary, contempt for Cruz, contempt for Jeb!, contempt for Biden, and best of all his contempt for John McCain

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yossarian-22 posted:

On top of his contempt for Hillary, contempt for Cruz, contempt for Jeb!, contempt for Biden, and best of all his contempt for John McCain

I don't even know if he held Biden in contempt, exactly. I think he considered Hillary the more capable opponent and just assumed that the polls were even more wrong than 2016 and he'd just roll the guy. I think he thought of him as a nonentity.

But yeah, his contempt for McCain was loving hilarious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't even know if he held Biden in contempt, exactly. I think he considered Hillary the more capable opponent and just assumed that the polls were even more wrong than 2016 and he'd just roll the guy. I think he thought of him as a nonentity.

But yeah, his contempt for McCain was loving hilarious.

nah he knew he was in trouble, he even mentioned it in his campaign speeches. at one in PA he was like "before covid I never would have had to come here to talk to you people, now I have to go out and campaign instead of doing big work at the white house." in a vacuum I think he probably does roll Biden, but he knew which way the winds were blowing last year

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I finally got around to watching the big ol' 2 hour explainer video about The Lawsuit and holy gently caress is that salami lady a truly reprehensible piece of poo poo. I heard them mention Bellingcat a few times which isn't surprising. I wonder if they've caught wind of Bellingcat's propaganda activities on dead comedy forums? It's probably small fishes compared to the kind of stuff they usually report on but it sure would be something to see JoY's name thrown around on an episode of The Grayzone.

And while I do understand the need to move away from platforms like YouTube because they can and do use their algorithms to squash anti-state reporters, but some of the other content that makes up the front page of Rokfin is uh......worrisome, at best? Flat earth, vaccines are microchips, all sorts of uh...interesting stuff.

But then again, corralling good reporters like Max and Aaron off to flat-earth land is also kind of probably the point, and a mechanism that Media Explainers can use to tell people exactly why they can't listen to what they hear on GZ et al.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lib and let die posted:

I finally got around to watching the big ol' 2 hour explainer video about The Lawsuit and holy gently caress is that salami lady a truly reprehensible piece of poo poo. I heard them mention Bellingcat a few times which isn't surprising. I wonder if they've caught wind of Bellingcat's propaganda activities on dead comedy forums? It's probably small fishes compared to the kind of stuff they usually report on but it sure would be something to see JoY's name thrown around on an episode of The Grayzone.

And while I do understand the need to move away from platforms like YouTube because they can and do use their algorithms to squash anti-state reporters, but some of the other content that makes up the front page of Rokfin is uh......worrisome, at best? Flat earth, vaccines are microchips, all sorts of uh...interesting stuff.

But then again, corralling good reporters like Max and Aaron off to flat-earth land is also kind of probably the point, and a mechanism that Media Explainers can use to tell people exactly why they can't listen to what they hear on GZ et al.

i just listened to it too. cracked up laughing a few times, especially when they were talking about her lebanese fixer and max said "she was once again acting as an atm for drug dealers and various low level gangsters"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah it stops being funny that she's an "addict" knowing that she was just some white woman who got to snort up Iranian state assets because her dad was a dumbass marine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah it stops being funny that she's an "addict" knowing that she was just some white woman who got to snort up Iranian state assets because her dad was a dumbass marine.

It's really gross to see her use addiction like she did.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1413543070172422146

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

fart simpson posted:

i just listened to it too. cracked up laughing a few times, especially when they were talking about her lebanese fixer and max said "she was once again acting as an atm for drug dealers and various low level gangsters"

yeah and that dude being her most important media contact was a good laugh

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

if you're older than 14 you don't need to know who vaush is, you're not his type

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

parents should know about vaush so they can protect their kids of all ages from him

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

if you're older than 14 you don't need to know who vaush is, you're not his type

that's 45 in horse years

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1413577501872361475?s=20

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1413590944503320576

Stellar comebacks from Vaush here. Really impressive.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's really gross to see her use addiction like she did.
yeah I'm not sure if it's a typical addict struggle to file a lawsuit against those who criticize your erroneous reporting?

Seriously though where did this clown come from, his twitter reg date is only 2 years ago and he seems to be stupid, why does he have a following, because he says he's leftist but China is still bad?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

yeah I'm not sure if it's a typical addict struggle to file a lawsuit against those who criticize your erroneous reporting?

i like that using "stop being so mean im an addict" as a defense for bad reporting is just admitting that youre too yakked up to do your job but its fine because youre rich and you dont have a real job

imagine another addict nodding off as a cashier or something youd get your rear end fired so fast

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Seriously though where did this clown come from, his twitter reg date is only 2 years ago and he seems to be stupid, why does he have a following, because he says he's leftist but China is still bad?

Vaush's appeal is to former Bernie voters who just want Medicare 4 All, but have to rationalise voting for Biden somehow.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1413589471606362112?s=20

is this enough to trigger the Assad curse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think he has to say Assad must go in one way or another.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1413520348658638854

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm a huge loving moron how do i get in on this leftist youtube grift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jose posted:

i'm a huge loving moron how do i get in on this leftist youtube grift?

well vaush probably got some tips from....

https://twitter.com/maricallsforaid/status/1413521727624155140

L M A O