Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Mod Organizer 2 still the standard mod manager recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yep. Don't bother with Vortex.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Can Sim Settlements 2 settlements run fine alongside other settlements without any plots? I'd like the Abernathys to just live in their house and farm normal, plotless plants for example.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yep. Don't bother with Vortex.

Just gonna quote this so people understand. Vortex is absolute poo poo and you will run into problems with it eventually. And when you do your install will probably be hosed cause of how vortex works

Just take the hour to learn how mo2 works

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Danaru posted:

Can Sim Settlements 2 settlements run fine alongside other settlements without any plots? I'd like the Abernathys to just live in their house and farm normal, plotless plants for example.

I've been doing just that and it works fine so long as you show up to harvest veggies yourself. From what I can tell SS2 adds another level of storage that your settlers consume first and the player can't access

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any jsawyer style rebalances for FO4?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Rinkles posted:

Any jsawyer style rebalances for FO4?

There's Horizon, which is mostly a rebalance for survival mode, and probably not for everyone.

Things I liked:
It's standalone. No huge mod list to try to get working!
Economic overhaul: It actually makes building stuff feel useful. For example, Survival mode normally means you can't quicksave, but Horizon let's you build a (fairly cheap) consumable to quicksave. Food, water, and sleep no longer heal, but you can produce various first aid consumables from the start, so cloth and antiseptic actually feel useful to find. There was basically no resource that felt useless and I pretty much always went back to base excited about what I could do with the stuff I found. And caps were useful and mainly came from quests - no more ending up with tens of thousands of caps by midgame like I do in every other Fallout game.
Perks feel useful/are rebalanced: Pretty much every perk feels useful, and some that were too useful have alternatives now (Like you can build auto-hackers or explosive charges with the right resources and perks, so hacking and lockpicking are no longer essential picks).
Settlements feel useful. They don't substitute for actual salvaging until the absolute lategame, if then, but you can fairly quickly get them producing useful stuff to help you. The quests to unlock new settlements are often a big deal because you can, with work, turn them into a steady flow of useful stuff.

Things I didn't like:
It's buggy: I didn't hit any crippling bugs but did have some crashes, plus some bug where I'd completely lose the ability to interact with the world without a restart (and considering in survival you interact with a bed to save, that was annoying).
The difficulty was inconsistent: The early game was brutally hard, and several times I felt on the ledge of my game being so wrecked (out of bullets, food, etc, for instance) I'd have to start over. But by mid-game things were feeling ridiculously easy, in no small part due to the cumulative effect of every perk feeling like a big bonus, and several of the crafting/townbuilding choices being basically "Pay x resources now and get .1x resources every day for the rest of the game" type choices.
It was just overcomplicated: It really feels like a mod where the author just kept adding new things because he could. There's a wiki for this game, and I was having to constantly look it up to understand the city building, and I was still confused because there's things like 3-4 completely independent systems for how settlements produce things for you. Overall it felt like adding complication for the sake of complication and it just drained the fun out of it, or maybe the author coming back every few months and deciding "I didn't like how I did it last time, I'll leave it in but do something completely different for this new feature!".

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 3, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah what I've seen of Frost indicates it's a bit more overkill than what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't mind an overhaul of legendaries either. Not sure exactly what I want, but I never liked how you got them in the base game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Horizon is good enough that I can't play without it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress i don't know why i misread that as frost

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
drat, Horizon looks pretty sick, I'll have to try making another MO2 profile for it since I imagine it's not going to play nice with many mods

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Have you guys heard the latest modder drama? NexusMods saw the revenue they were getting from people registering to use wabbajack, and want to make modpacks a part of the site, and set up an API for it (for premium users,) and part of that is making sure modpacks even when modders have a hissy fit and remove their mods. So now any mod file on Nexus will have a copy of it saved on site, that the api can always point too. Modders have been given a month to either remove all their mods or else they'll be grandfathered into this system.

A handful of mod creators are deciding to take down their mods, even though every other modding place does this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm morbidly intrigued to see what Arthmoor's (inevitably terrible) take is on that.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Yeah, I'm in the middle of gathering mods for a FO4 playthrough and having this drop in the middle isn't really helping since I'm now trying to move quickly and grab the mods I want in case they end up getting deleted.

Speaking of which, I'm actually debating between Sim Settlements and Sim Settlements 2 for the new playthrough and I'm a little iffy about SS2's expanded scope in terms of number of stuff it seems to touch, which seems like it'll be an issue with other mods I'm looking at.

In particular, anyone familiar with the various big quest mods that make alternative paths to the main quests + new content? (I'm talking about stuff like the Project Valkyrie, Outcasts and Emnants family of mods, which look like they do a lot but I haven't tried before). Overall thoughts on quality?

I doubt all of it will play together nicely, so it seems like I need to pick between SS1 and quest mods or SS2.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I dunno I just download Magnum Opus, 3 or 4 years ago I would download an unlimited companion mod and crank spawns to 100 once I got a few, but all of the unlimited follower mods are either broken, or don't work with modded companions :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay I'm trying Horizon and while I AM enjoying it so far, is combat supposed to be this hard? :shepface: I cant even one shot a mole rat with a machete at 8 strength, and I'm getting messed up by bloat flies. I cant even imagine what desolation mode must be like

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

Okay I'm trying Horizon and while I AM enjoying it so far, is combat supposed to be this hard? :shepface: I cant even one shot a mole rat with a machete at 8 strength, and I'm getting messed up by bloat flies. I cant even imagine what desolation mode must be like

I think I lucked out in my run, since I found an electrified baton early on that made things much easier (until I accidentally scrapped it). But yeah, combat started very hard and got easier, I suggest letting Dogmeat be your tank as much as possible and ducking in to smash things when they're distracted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bremen posted:

I think I lucked out in my run, since I found an electrified baton early on that made things much easier (until I accidentally scrapped it). But yeah, combat started very hard and got easier, I suggest letting Dogmeat be your tank as much as possible and ducking in to smash things when they're distracted.

We've gotten into a good pattern where he goes up and grabs their leg, then I sprint out and cleave their head off with a machete like Pamela Voorhees. I'm almost at level five and I can finally use VANS to get myself some perks that result in me getting food from animals :froggonk: I'm so hungry and SO irradiated.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

We've gotten into a good pattern where he goes up and grabs their leg, then I sprint out and cleave their head off with a machete like Pamela Voorhees. I'm almost at level five and I can finally use VANS to get myself some perks that result in me getting food from animals :froggonk: I'm so hungry and SO irradiated.

Water was actually my big issue, I ended up pretty frequently forced to drink dirty water and then deal with the radiation/disease risk. As far as radiation, some of the crafting stations can give you some relatively low cost medicines that reduce your radiation at the cost of fatigue/a debuff - usually I'd wait until I was tired/wanted to sleep, gobble one down and watch my rads drop a bit and the debuff to go away (a good time for working on crafting/settlement building), and then use a bed. They add a lot of fatigue, so you don't want to chug them or take them when you aren't going to sleep anyways.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm guessing there's no The Armory equivalent for FO4? I expect weapon stats of custom guns to be all over the place.

e:got the name of the original NV mod wrong

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 5, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

Definitely use the VANS perk boost since it's balanced around that. The mental trick is to realize that health is a resource and radiation is a penalty on your ability to regenerate and go on excursions.

Sometimes fighting isn't the answer, and using traps and stuff can be really handy. It's way better than being able to facetank anything.

Oh! And get some camps set up if you can, you'll respawn there if you go down. You'll want to be able to use a cooking craft station to make healing items as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played Horizon for several versions but I remember VATS being overpowered as poo poo. The modder preferred using bullet-time so he didn't balance for VATS.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Renditious posted:

Yeah, I'm in the middle of gathering mods for a FO4 playthrough and having this drop in the middle isn't really helping since I'm now trying to move quickly and grab the mods I want in case they end up getting deleted.

Speaking of which, I'm actually debating between Sim Settlements and Sim Settlements 2 for the new playthrough and I'm a little iffy about SS2's expanded scope in terms of number of stuff it seems to touch, which seems like it'll be an issue with other mods I'm looking at.

In particular, anyone familiar with the various big quest mods that make alternative paths to the main quests + new content? (I'm talking about stuff like the Project Valkyrie, Outcasts and Emnants family of mods, which look like they do a lot but I haven't tried before). Overall thoughts on quality?

I doubt all of it will play together nicely, so it seems like I need to pick between SS1 and quest mods or SS2.

It's played fairly well with Tales of the Commonwealth so far. But that's not a big mainline quest mod.

SS2 is worth it for the game-wide 'tech tree'. You'll still experience per-settlement teching up because you have to train your settlers, but a couple of special people per new settlement can greatly accelerate it.

In specific:

Danaru posted:

As long as you completely ignore plots and just have a vanilla settlement, you'll be fine. Just make sure to turn off maintenance costs for objects, otherwise your turrets and purifiers will break. A lot of the outputs of SS2 are there to provide for its inputs, like the municipal caravan plots, stat trainers, and advanced houses.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I'm morbidly intrigued to see what Arthmoor's (inevitably terrible) take is on that.

Just repost all the old Technic minecraft drama art and replace the relevant words.

Who will be FO4s covertjaguar and who will they futiley sue.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

SS2 as far as the mechanics of running settlement's goes seems solid but the campaign they built around it seems buggy as hell and I've had to give up multiple playthrough's because the mod bugged out. Last time it added poo poo to my inventory to use in a quest and then the quest was bugged and the items were flagged as quest items and I couldn't drop them. Also felt like the player dialogue was pretty stilted and basic. A bunch of mods recut vanilla dialogue to have the player be able to speak in mod added content in a way that more or less makes sense while not having to record new dialogue which is impossible obviously. SS2 did so in a pretty substandard way compared to a lot of other mods sadly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Been craving a nice post-apoc scavenger shootmans experience lately, so I finally got around to picking this game up. Are there any "must have" mods for someone not wanting to get too deep into mods but wants to have a good Survival-mode play of FO4?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still pretty new with it too, but Horizon is thick as poo poo with harsher mechanics. It legit feels closer to a STALKER game when you're creeping through a bunker with a knife and a shotgun with one shell left.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Yeah Horizon's combat is tuned to be very difficult - one thing I've found helpful while playing it is to use a mod that allows you to tweak the base damage multiplier and tune it to something that feels better. It's been a while since I've played it but I think I remember that the default difficulty option in Horizon sets the global damage mod to 2.5x, and 2.0x felt a bit better to me. It still makes combat dangerous and fast paced, but you won't get one-shotted by raiders throwing molotovs anymore.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been craving a nice post-apoc scavenger shootmans experience lately, so I finally got around to picking this game up. Are there any "must have" mods for someone not wanting to get too deep into mods but wants to have a good Survival-mode play of FO4?

I'd suggest at the very least getting some mod that lets you quicksave in survival. Maybe something that prevents diseases as well unless you really want a hardcore experience.

I can only picture some dev saying "they want unforgiving? I'll show them unforgiving!" before cackling while making survival mode, because they decided to add such things as being unable to save without a bed and also things like eating or sleeping having a chance to give you debilitating and hard to remove permanent debuffs.

Oh, and as a general rule for any FO4 playthrough I recommend a mod that removes the godawful dialog selection. For FO4 they apparently decided to just give summaries of what you're selecting, like "agree" or "(sarcastic)" that are often almost completely unrelated to what the choice will make your character actually say, to the point where you sometimes randomly end up threatening to kill whoever you're talking to by accident, so people immediately modded it to actually just have what dialog line you're going to say as the choice. Here's an example (vanilla choices on the left), it can be completely immersion breaking. If you end up using a modpack they pretty much all include this by default.

Danaru posted:

I'm still pretty new with it too, but Horizon is thick as poo poo with harsher mechanics. It legit feels closer to a STALKER game when you're creeping through a bunker with a knife and a shotgun with one shell left.

This, but on the other hand it does soften some of the most unfun vanilla survival mechanics, like no quicksaves or respawn on death, which killed my first attempt at vanilla survival so very quickly. I enjoy it, but it's probably a rough start for a new player with all the new and hard to understand mechanics.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I consider the lack of quick save essential to survival mode, but I had played the game a bunch before and this was without any other difficulty enhancers (I was on PS4).

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Download wabbajack and install magnum opus or something. I'm loving magnum opus right now.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

Have you guys heard the latest modder drama? NexusMods saw the revenue they were getting from people registering to use wabbajack, and want to make modpacks a part of the site, and set up an API for it (for premium users,) and part of that is making sure modpacks even when modders have a hissy fit and remove their mods. So now any mod file on Nexus will have a copy of it saved on site, that the api can always point too. Modders have been given a month to either remove all their mods or else they'll be grandfathered into this system.

A handful of mod creators are deciding to take down their mods, even though every other modding place does this.

oh cool this is where all the minecraft modders went

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'd always suggest leaving the console enabled just because of bugginess and recovering from bad game states etc. Horizon has an item you can use/craft to have expendable quick saves from what I recall, with a reusable option too iirc.

Just remember that it's OK if you run out of HP. That's part of the Horizon gameplay loops.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chronojam posted:

I'd always suggest leaving the console enabled just because of bugginess and recovering from bad game states etc. Horizon has an item you can use/craft to have expendable quick saves from what I recall, with a reusable option too iirc.

Yep :toot: it also let's you choose an autosave interval, between 5 and 30 mins so you can adjust for taste. I keep it on 30 just in case of crashes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you hate the UI I recommend FallUI it makes the menus so much more manageable, all the pipboy tabs are on one screen so you don't have to scroll over, and it has a built item sorter I love it so much and the only problem I have with it is that there is no all in one package so you'll need to download the other parts of the UI such as the crafting, sleep, etc. separately.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I consider the lack of quick save essential to survival mode, but I had played the game a bunch before and this was without any other difficulty enhancers (I was on PS4).

I like the idea of no quick save, but in practice the game is not stable enough when modded for it to be a good idea. Losing progress because you made mistakes and died is fine, losing progress because the game randomly crashed on you not so much.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like the idea of no quick save, but in practice the game is not stable enough when modded for it to be a good idea. Losing progress because you made mistakes and died is fine, losing progress because the game randomly crashed on you not so much.

Personally, I like survival mode in the sense of having to count my bullets and put effort into food and water, but not so much the "lose an hour of progress because a bandit got lucky with a molotov" bit. Hence why I think the ability to do at least the occasional save is essential to my enjoyment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Download wabbajack and install magnum opus or something. I'm loving magnum opus right now.

I'm guessing if I do this just to quickly jump back in, I can later do a parallel custom MO2 installation, no problem, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing if I do this just to quickly jump back in, I can later do a parallel custom MO2 installation, no problem, right?

Yep! I've got a normal profile and a Horizon profile set up, and you can even get MO2 to seperate saves by profile as well. You dont even have to redownload anything, just check what you want, run LOOT, and you're on your way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, I'll probably have a go. I don't have the patience right now for building and testing a load order.