Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The thing that made Norton angry (and you wouldn't like him when he's angry) was that he demanded full creative control and final cut rights for any potential sequel or movie including Hulk because:

- He also wanted them in the first movie and didn't officially get them, but got a lot of changes and was in the editing room - which annoyed the director and other editors who kept having to run new cuts by Norton, had their edits changed, and complained that it slowed down production.

- The director ended up shooting everything extra that Norton wanted, but cut almost all of it for the final release.

- That caused Norton to demand official creative control and editing control for any movie starring Hulk (the next of which was the Avengers), because he wanted a guarantee that they would have to listen to him.

- They dumped him.

Allegedly, the extra scenes they filmed and then immediately cut were expanding on the romantic drama and scenes that would "explore the psychological effect" of Banner having the Hulk inside of him.

That stinks because the guy who plays hulk now sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Consummate Professional posted:

I love seeing him in movies but man, he has a lot of demands for the cash machine that is a marvel movie.

Absolutely insane he thought he’d have control of a film with a 220 million dollar budget when the Hulk barely made more than that at the box office. Granted I don’t think anyone realistically expected the Avengers to make a literal billion dollars but still.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ruffalo is amazing as Banner

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I find him to be boring, uncharismatic and unfunny. Just a total blah of nothing

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Arist posted:

Ruffalo is amazing as Banner

He didn’t get a whole lot to work with before Ragnarok, and honestly I can see Norton there. Ruffalo made a great professor Hulk though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Turn ur monitor on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His best scenes in ragnarok are when Hemsworth is funny on his own

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sentient Data posted:

I love it when people did some kind of math that ends with "1=0" then latch on to it for any reason, either thinking they've discovered some new fundamental truth or that there's more to do on the math problem somehow.

It's called an equation because both sides are supposed to be equal - if you somehow end up with just two different integers on each side, it either means you made a mistake when simplifying ("solving") the equation, or that it was never valid in the first place.

Me writing "|x|=(-1)" doesn't mean that I somehow discovered a new property of absolute numbers, it just means I was an idiot when writing the original equation

:rant:

Listen, man, the math in those papers is just too advanced to understand easily. He explains it much more simply here, on The View. With PROPS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEiK8Ynd97o

"This is the proof that the square root of 2 is a rational number." :boom:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sentient Data posted:

I love it when people did some kind of math that ends with "1=0" then latch on to it for any reason, either thinking they've discovered some new fundamental truth or that there's more to do on the math problem somehow.

It's called an equation because both sides are supposed to be equal - if you somehow end up with just two different integers on each side, it either means you made a mistake when simplifying ("solving") the equation, or that it was never valid in the first place.

Me writing "|x|=(-1)" doesn't mean that I somehow discovered a new property of absolute numbers, it just means I was an idiot when writing the original equation

:rant:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Norton sounds like a pain to work with and that can drag production in it's own way, but honestly that self-assurance and self-centeredness genuinely comes from knowing exactly what he's talking about. He really is very good and very smart. TIH wasn't amazing or anything but I don't doubt his constant whinging improved it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Norton sounds like a pain to work with and that can drag production in it's own way, but honestly that self-assurance and self-centeredness genuinely comes from knowing exactly what he's talking about. He really is very good and very smart. TIH wasn't amazing or anything but I don't doubt his constant whinging improved it.

That's where I am. Norton is consistently great, but he is infamously a huge pain in the rear end to work with and many people have been okay openly saying how miserable he made them.

Just look at Tony Kaye (who directed American History X) who demanded his name be removed from the movie because New Line Cinema let Norton authorize re-shoots and re-edit the entire movie.

quote:

After filming wrapped on American History X, director Tony Kaye was very bitter towards Norton, and he wasn't shy about letting the media know. Norton's creative decisions infuriated Kaye, who tried to completely dissociate himself from the movie and called Norton a "buffoon." Even after the film was released, Kaye never let the editing debacle blow over. His backlash to Norton's final cut of the film gave the actor a reputation as a "difficult" actor to work with — an artist who cared more about his own screen time than the quality of the film or cooperating with the cast and crew.

But Norton objects to that characterization. He's aware that some people think he's tough to work with, but he would just say that he's exceptionally dedicated to his art. "Difficult is really a question of semantics. You can use that word or you can say rigorous, committed, you can put it other ways," Norton told The Telegraph.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wow I did not know that at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's kind of appropriate that the only thing I've really seen Norton in is The Italian Job where he plays the villain, because Charlize Theron, Jason Statham, Seth Green and Mos Def all seem like they're having a blast and then there's Ed Norton just miserably glowering off by himself away from the main cast.

Oh and I guess Mark Walhberg was there too? Huh?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, neat, Norton is in Knives Out 2. Hope that's good.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Getting Grant in must've been the easiest deal in existence.

"You say there's time travel? And I play a variant of a morally conflicted character? Sign me the gently caress up."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think we can all agree that they should have gotten Bruce Campbell to play Banner

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ruffalo is fun and I like him but there's nothing about him that makes him interesting as "the hulk"

The Hulk in the avengers is completely uninteresting except as comedic CGI wrecking ball. He was so uninteresting and they had so little idea what to do with him as a monster that they just scrapped the monster part altogether for the later avenger movies and just made him a big green Ruffallo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Norton is also in Death To Smoochy, a movie that I love but was hated by critics, which baffles me

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Going all in on

BLACK WIDOW AFTER CREDITS SPOILER

Elaine Bennis

being involved in whoever-is-inside-the-tower-in-the-cloud-monster's-belly's plans.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

XboxPants posted:

Listen, man, the math in those papers is just too advanced to understand easily. He explains it much more simply here, on The View. With PROPS!

I fear I'm going to become obsessed with this. It's just too crazy to properly describe to people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh my god, his whole Oxford "lecture" is on YouTube. It's pure cringe insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1vIYmGyYA

One comment is, "I feel like I'm watching Michael Scott lecturing at Ryan's business-school class." and that's accurate.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Going all in on

BLACK WIDOW AFTER CREDITS SPOILER

Elaine Bennis

being involved in whoever-is-inside-the-tower-in-the-cloud-monster's-belly's plans.

(The following, although a dumb joke,MIGHT spoil the after credits scene, please avoid clicking if you haven't seen Black Widow):

I wonder which recruiter is gonna show up at the end of Loki. Is it going to be Evil Elaine or the Skrull Agent?? OR is the TVA gonna start recruiting the heroes with magical powers?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Azhais posted:

I think we can all agree that they should have gotten Bruce Campbell to play Banner

the transformation sequence alone would have been worth it

I'll be the weirdo to say I preferred Ruffalo's bitter Banner to Norton's broody Banner

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m only 3 episodes into Loki but the sacred time line is a funny metaphor / allusion to the MCU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Pretty obvious by his eyes the dude is living in his own VR realm. Was he always like that?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Desperado Bones posted:

(The following, although a dumb joke,MIGHT spoil the after credits scene, please avoid clicking if you haven't seen Black Widow):

I wonder which recruiter is gonna show up at the end of Loki. Is it going to be Evil Elaine or the Skrull Agent?? OR is the TVA gonna start recruiting the heroes with magical powers?

BLACK WIDOW AFTER CREDITS SPOILER:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

BLACK WIDOW AFTER CREDITS SPOILER:

so.. the TVA are in need of a US Agent? Okay, makes sense with their authoritarian poo poo, I guess. Happy for Elaine though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Non-spoilered speculation. Neither. Loki will be the one going out to recruit them as his agents/poo poo-stirrers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/WindAesthetic/status/1413660938360791040?s=19

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When's the movie set though? It's a while ago, right?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mutata posted:

When's the movie set though? It's a while ago, right?

It's set after/during Captain America: Civil War

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 10, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Is set after/during Captain America: Civil War

Based on the initial 1995 Ohio and the 21 years later it's set in 2016 except for the after credits scene, which is probably 2024 or shortly before the beginning of the Hawkeye series

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

Based on the initial 1995 Ohio and the 21 years later it's set in 2016 except for the after credits scene, which is probably 2024 or shortly before the beginning of the Hawkeye series

The scene in that tweet should be in 2016. I dunno much about phones or when this model was out, but that was definitely not a cinema sins "gotcha!" they expected. I have no clue what's up with that tweet lol

Are they amused that a movie found an old phone? Or are they trying to point out an error?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, that phone was still for sale when the movie was set. It was discontinued in October of 2017.

e: The twitter account is about "Windows Aesthetics" so I think they're just pointing it out as a novelty.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't think it's meant to be a dig because that whole Twitter account is all about posting windows xp style of content

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Realistically, how often are you going to update the burner phones in your dozens of personal spy supply caches located in strategically accessible locations worldwide?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Guess what bitches, with multiple timelines and multiverses a flip phone can be modern in -160000 or 3700!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:( I want flip phones back.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

:( I want flip phones back.

Honestly take a break outside for 10 minutes, and think soberly if you really want the Razr again.

Ignore nostalgia!!

I do want social media destroyed though, it's killed all of our brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can still buy modern flip phones