Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

p0stal b0b posted:

Still a newbie, but I recently upgraded my camera, which was excuse enough to go for a walk...
P1015472_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

This one's my favorite, nice stuff. You should go for more walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drone shots from last night

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Very nice!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
P7040162 by Cody P, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I like this one

this is also rad, wish it was closer to the car though

Some recent ones from me...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

good stuff

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's some real good poo poo Eggs and Nigel.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Megabound posted:

That's some real good poo poo Eggs and Nigel.

Agreed

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

great feeling of blistering light (in a good way)

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 6, 2021

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Crossing Kentucky Dam by B. B., on Flickr

Rooms 119 and 120 by B. B., on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
Some fantastic stuff on this page...

eggsovereasy posted:

Some recent ones from me...

My gut reaction to these is that they might benefit from more tonal range or emphasis in the mid-tones, but everyone else here seems to dig them, so what am I missing? I'm trying to learn to properly appreciate a wide variety of photographic styles, even if I can't yet successfully emulate them, so if the thread feels happy to educate me, what do others appreciate about these photos, or what do people feel makes them good? (Serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything!)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

p0stal b0b posted:

Some fantastic stuff on this page...

My gut reaction to these is that they might benefit from more tonal range or emphasis in the mid-tones, but everyone else here seems to dig them, so what am I missing? I'm trying to learn to properly appreciate a wide variety of photographic styles, even if I can't yet successfully emulate them, so if the thread feels happy to educate me, what do others appreciate about these photos, or what do people feel makes them good? (Serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything!)

I agree. I'm not a fan of those super-flat B&W images, but each to his own, etc,

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The flatness to me makes it feel hot, dry and run down, which works for the subject matter. I really enjoy it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

p0stal b0b posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Its something I've been experimenting with on this series. I didn't consider making it look dry (its quite humid here in Tennessee), but like Megabound said I thought it helped show the heat and I felt it added a mood that fit the subject matter.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Megabound posted:

The flatness to me makes it feel hot, dry and run down, which works for the subject matter. I really enjoy it.

eggsovereasy posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Its something I've been experimenting with on this series. I didn't consider making it look dry (its quite humid here in Tennessee), but like Megabound said I thought it helped show the heat and I felt it added a mood that fit the subject matter.

Ah, so it's more of a subjective mood thing, that makes sense. It certainly does make them feel hot, which is interesting given the lack of colour. That's an intriguing use of tone, I'll remember that...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Here's some recent 'normal' contrast photos

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

p0stal b0b posted:

Ah, so it's more of a subjective mood thing, that makes sense. It certainly does make them feel hot, which is interesting given the lack of colour. That's an intriguing use of tone, I'll remember that...

A lot of what gets posted here is considered on an individual level and not as a part of a collection or series. I think it'd make more sense when viewed in toto, and maybe we should have a series thread where people are encouraged to post and discuss their short themes and works.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

this is great

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Mmhmm

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Thirding this, all the elements are off-centre, nothing is aligned, and yet it's perfectly balanced...

P7085762_bw by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Lovely. Also really digging eggs’ stuff. The buildings and scenes in your photos look so desiccated. Love it.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 8, 2021

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

drat! Nice!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i like both of these

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I love it, great mix of lines and curves...

P7135897_a by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Finally processed the photos I took of an abandoned mine/company town I visited a couple years ago

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Really dig the one with the ridge of windmills in the background.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Megabound posted:

Thanks, that's also my favorite.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Megabound posted:

Agreed, I also dig this one

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The shaded silo with the lit hill is pretty cool too. I dig the second one square to the building too, symmetry speaks to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

... and all would be very strong contenders in this month's contest thread.