Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Workaday Wizard posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Vigilante 8 is better than Twisted Metal.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
gives me an opportunity to bring up Cel Damage again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Technowrite posted:

Ooo, since we're in the unpopular gaming opinions thread, let me just say Sonic 1 has aged like poo poo.

The Sonic games were always stupid bullshit but kids who got a Genesis and not a Super Nintendo had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good actually and was not a game that basically just looked cool some of the time but wasn't fun to play

Take it from me, a kid who had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

QuarkJets posted:

The Sonic games were always stupid bullshit but kids who got a Genesis and not a Super Nintendo had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good actually and was not a game that basically just looked cool some of the time but wasn't fun to play

Take it from me, a kid who had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good

but this is a popular opinion.

says me, a kid who had a SNES

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The 3d sonic games were better than the 2d ones

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The best sonic games somehow also feature Mario. Makes you think.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

sonic 2 owned

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Someone on here called the Genesis “the console of apartment kids” and it’s one of those things that rung really true when I read it decades after the genesis was a thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i had both a genesis and a snes as a kid and while i played my snes a hell of a lot more overall, sonic 2 was still a fun-rear end time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sonic was a fun game but I just can't understand why some people are so fixated on it. I just don't know why that dumbass looking blue cartoon guy infiltrates people's psyches so deeply. Like yeah dude, he impatiently looks at the camera when you don't do anything. That doesn't mean you have to keep reading the comics into your mid 30s.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sonic had fast movement, which set it apart even if the actual gameplay sucked at (most) times. Furries kept the ip alive while sega floundered trying to make a legitimately good game. Eventually sega realized they would never make a good sonic game by themselves and started farming it out to rom hackers, and apparently people liked it (this is what i gather fomr watching gdq this week anyways)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Sonic was a fun game but I just can't understand why some people are so fixated on it. I just don't know why that dumbass looking blue cartoon guy infiltrates people's psyches so deeply. Like yeah dude, he impatiently looks at the camera when you don't do anything. That doesn't mean you have to keep reading the comics into your mid 30s.

those are the people who not only grew up with a genesis, but then went on to get a dreamcast at or near launch and will still swear up and down that sonic adventure didn't suck rear end and still harbor a grudge against sony for murdering the dreamcast

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

Sonic had fast movement, which set it apart even if the actual gameplay sucked at (most) times. Furries kept the ip alive while sega floundered trying to make a legitimately good game. Eventually sega realized they would never make a good sonic game by themselves and started farming it out to rom hackers, and apparently people liked it (this is what i gather fomr watching gdq this week anyways)

The irony is it sold itself on fast movement but that was the worst part of the game, where you just hold right and it plays itself. I really preferred the Genesis sonic games for having huge levels with different paths (especially 3+K where different characters could access different parts). Though even that was pretty heavily frontloaded.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Bubsy was superior to Sonic.

There, I said it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

site posted:

Pretty much nailed it, yeah. Sonic 2 and 3 (& Knuckles) can probably be called good without inciting too many fistfights, and probably not coincidentally were made during the brief period where Sega actually had its poo poo together before they started constantly loving themselves over without provocation. (the history of Sonic X-Treme is some wildly frustrating poo poo of the Japanese division actively sabotaging the American one out of no reason apparently other than spite)

Gunstar Heroes is the real reason to own a Genesis

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gunstar Heroes Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday is the real reason to own a Genesis

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used to love playing Golden Axe on my neighbor’s Genesis and looking back on it I cannot possibly figure out why. I think a lot of old beat em ups just aged incredibly poorly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to love playing Golden Axe on my neighbor’s Genesis and looking back on it I cannot possibly figure out why. I think a lot of old beat em ups just aged incredibly poorly.

A lot of them have very good presentation but gameplay that doesn't really hold up. I think there's a theme going with a lot of games of the era. (compare to first generation console 3D, where the gameplay AND presentation often don't hold up at all)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You dislike dwarves.

Also amazing (to me at the time) were Altered Beast and Forgotten Worlds. Games that the SNES would never have or have anything really similar to, in my experience. Doesn't make it good but my friend's bday party when they rented a Genesis with Forgotten Worlds man, good stuff.

The Genesis is also integral to one of the funniest scenes in Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Vigilante 8 is better than Twisted Metal.

Definitely had catchier music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Y0HFyq9CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__e8nsN9rYc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unpopular video game opinion, car combat is awesome in theory but is probably the least pulled off concept in video game history.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Vakal posted:

Did you rent Wild 9 after that?

Spent ages playing this a shop before I got a PlayStation (though I had vigilante 8 on N64).

I'm not gonna go back and check but my memory of the electric grab gun, smashing enemies to bits or carrying them to a murderous contraption was more satisfying than using hl2s gravity gun.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I always liked Kid Chameleon more than Sonic, even if it was aggressively American in a way I can't quite explain. Like, American early 90s platformers had a "feel" just like gross Euro ones on the Amiga did.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Decap Attack was good and cool. So was Cyborg Justice and Haunting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
car combat in the Mad Max game was better than any car combat in Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 1
Sonic 2

Sonic 3 and Knuckles are great. They’re exploration platformers with tight controls and a powerfully mobile player character. If you run too fast and die that’s on you, you can play slow. But you can Get Good and utilize the capabilities of the character to its fullest extent and it’s satisfying to do so. Basically a precursor to Celeste. Sonic and Knuckles has worse levels than Sonic 3.

Sonic 1 is fine. You run and jump. It’s like an ok mario game with some momentum physics and the ring system. Too much auto-death situations for the rings to really mean much though.

Sonic 2 is just holding right and pressing a. I think there’s a perception that this is what a sonic game should be like, but it’s not great. It obviously set the stage for sonic 3 to be what t is, but it doesn’t do a good enough job that it’s more fun than sonic 1. too easy to be a truely fun platformer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Bubsy was superior to Sonic.

There, I said it.

That could be true, I'm not sure, but Bubsy definitely sucked poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got some enjoyment from bubsy back in the day and still have nostalgia for it and can play it and have fun with it, but yeah it sucks poo poo. the levels are all a mess and the movement is awful.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Genesis had the best sports games of its generation: Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also Genesis Shadowrun was much better than SNES Shadowrun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Unpopular video game opinion, car combat is awesome in theory but is probably the least pulled off concept in video game history.

the only car combat game thats good is Death Rally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRI71PmgDY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vakal posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

site posted:

I suffered through a GameTheory video once, on purpose, just to see the conclusion of Mario and Sonic's relative speed. AFAIK there isn't a good youtuber who had done the same calculations so I have nothing to link, but IIRC the conclusion was that Mario is actually faster than Sonic in their respective early games. Body wouldn't let me rewatch the video to confirm anything, it exists if you hate yourself and want to watch.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Genesis had the best sports games of its generation: Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey.

Maybe, but the most widely played Genesis sports game was hoop jumping

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
anybody else have their dualsense triggers break on them? my r2 has no resistance after many mashy returnal runs

i'm loving triggered

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My ps5 controller is hosed too, the left stick seems to have its deadzone slightly moved over to the right, so the slightest pressure will just have it moving left. The amount of times I've slowly slid out of cover in Battlefield 5 is miserable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Might be worth checking the firmware. Mine was drifting bad and an update fixed it

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i just bought a new controller with a 3yr in store replace plan
but it really sucks that i had to take it up the bummy for the new world order planned obsolescence paradigm
apparently a lot of people are having the same issue. adaptive triggers in this generation are plastic garbage that's too good to be true

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Best car combat still is Interstate 76. That game was so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

Todays unpopular video game opinion is that both games would have been better if the combat was turn based.