Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What are the good Marvel comics that I'm not reading right now?

I'm pulling every X-Men title, Daredevil, Spider's Shadow, Fantastic Four: Life Story, Immortal Hulk, Guardians and Gamma Flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Black Cat and Shang Chi are both fun.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is Black Widow still good?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been enjoying it at least

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Black Widow is great

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I don't read a single thing from Marvel at the moment, but I'm interested in FF Life Stories now I know that exists. How is it? I enjoyed the Spider-Man series.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Codependent Poster posted:

Black Widow is great

Frankly, Darth Vader has been consistently one of Marvel's best titles since 2015, even if you don't care much about Star Wars generally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I don't know that "cookie cutter old rich white guy" is actually anything of note tbh

I think they mean her sister, not Generic McElon-Musk

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pitwar posted:

I don't read a single thing from Marvel at the moment, but I'm interested in FF Life Stories now I know that exists. How is it? I enjoyed the Spider-Man series.

It's fine. It's definitely not Chip! quality but it's worth reading.

Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot to list Black Cat in the titles I was reading. Is the current Captain Marvel any good? Kelly Thompson usually does good work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I only read up through the Star storyarc but it was pretty good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cloks posted:

Is the current Captain Marvel any good? Kelly Thompson usually does good work.

Imo, it's maybe the best Carol Danvers solo series ever. Which isn't a high bar to clear, but they've given Thompson the space to tell stories without being too bogged down by company wide nonsense, and when it -- like Empyre -- has its been fairly natural.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Captain marvel isn't a bad book per se, but even Kelly hasn't made me care about Carol. The only thing about her run that has stuck out for me is Carol's new buff half sister

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Carol is consistently the worst part of Captain Marvel. Not in like "she's bad" way but more in the "every other character here is more interesting" way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

I'm pulling every X-Men title, Daredevil, Spider's Shadow, Fantastic Four: Life Story, Immortal Hulk, Guardians and Gamma Flight.

Seconding Black Widow since you say later you're already reading Black Cat.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cloks posted:

What are the good Marvel comics that I'm not reading right now?

Beta Ray Bill is a lot of fun, but I don't expect it to keep going far into the double digits.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only things Carol should be doing whenever she's on screen, in any book, is getting drunk, being a bitch, and killing Skrulls, all hopefully at the same time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gologle posted:

The only things Carol should be doing whenever she's on screen, in any book, is getting drunk, being a bitch, and killing Skrulls, all hopefully at the same time.

I do not agree that she should relapse and arguing that's the only way to be cool feels kinda lovely, honestly.
But then again, I never read any of those old stories where she drank. It's just alluded to sometimes.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 8, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Beta Ray Bill is a lot of fun, but I don't expect it to keep going far into the double digits.

It's explicitly a miniseries with one issue left, so, no, I don't think it's hitting double digits.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Marvel is pretty good though I'm not really liking this current arc as much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Captain Marvel is pretty good though I'm not really liking this current arc as much.

It does feel like the current series overall is an example that Carol is much more interesting when she's interacting with the MCU and her supporting cast than doing space stuff despite being the Space Avenger. Her relationship with Rhodey still feels reall just kind of weak and perfunctory, I guess I'd put it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
my only experience with Carol Danvers is through Claremont's X-Men and it seems like a lot has changed since then

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
okay, i read the first five issues of black widow on marvel unlimited and it's good

i really like Thompson's quickly paced storytelling and think it pairs well with Casagrande's art, which seems to draw inspiration from the clean linework of indie artists like Daniel Clowes and Mike Allred

the story itself is well written and tightly plotted with a lot of good emotional beats

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Put Carol back with the Starjammers. I’d read the hell out of that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Frankly, Darth Vader has been consistently one of Marvel's best titles since 2015, even if you don't care much about Star Wars generally.

Doctor Aphra also, at least until this current volume. It just ain't doing much for me this time. It's Indiana Jones in space if Indy was even more of a scumass.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I do not agree that she should relapse and arguing that's the only way to be cool feels kinda lovely, honestly.
But then again, I never read any of those old stories where she drank. It's just alluded to sometimes.

Carol definitely doesn't need to relapse in order to be cool.

At the same time, it does seem like the only person with addiction problems who's allowed to relapse — or even seriously consider relapsing — is Iron Man, usually in some big "see, this is important!" way. It worked in Fear Itself (unlike most of Fear Itself) as it was an appropriate sacrifice, but the other times it feels like the writer's scrabbling to remember anything about Tony.

Then again, the last time it happened was under Slott, and frankly if he could remember anything about the characters he was writing I'd be on the lookout for the other three horsemen, so.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That's good to hear. I was reading the Gillen Darth Vader and Spurrier Dr. Aphra since I'll read anything they put out, but I was kind of underwhelmed by the Soule stuff and fell off it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Carol definitely doesn't need to relapse in order to be cool.

At the same time, it does seem like the only person with addiction problems who's allowed to relapse — or even seriously consider relapsing — is Iron Man, usually in some big "see, this is important!" way. It worked in Fear Itself (unlike most of Fear Itself) as it was an appropriate sacrifice, but the other times it feels like the writer's scrabbling to remember anything about Tony.

Then again, the last time it happened was under Slott, and frankly if he could remember anything about the characters he was writing I'd be on the lookout for the other three horsemen, so.

Thompson's first arc features a literal intervention. Short of her actually relapsing I'm not sure how much more you can do

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What's the general reception on Cantwell's Iron Man and Doom around here?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom was incredibly loving bad. The ending of it is just complete loving dire poo poo

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

What's the general reception on Cantwell's Iron Man and Doom around here?

His Doom was really good until the last issue where he completely lost it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
His doom was great up until the final issue, which completely blew it. His iron man started pretty good but the last couple issues have felt like it's spinning it's wheels

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't really have a problem with last issue. If Doom is one thing he's vain and ego-driven. What he did in the moment was a bit extreme but I didn't much care. Doom as a hero has been proven to be fun in small doses but he's just better as a villain.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are you guys talking about the recent Doom mini where he and his wacky friend Kang get into shenanigans? I read a bit of it but dropped off, then I heard the finale was bad so I didn't bother to finish it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Basically, and I'll spoil this but keep it vague anyway if you want to hover over, it's a series that feints towards him being good, being a hero, but then in the end he does something very, very bad in a moment of vanity and weakness. He did want to be a hero, but not to be good, and when the opportunity for him to lash out in selfishness and jealousy he faltered and took it. It's a profoundly disappointing ending, but I read it and was disappointed in Doom, not in Cantwell. He told a story that incorporated everything we know about a fairly complicated but ultimately consistently venal character-- so imo whether or not you hate the ending or like it or just think it makes sense really depends on what kind of character you think Doom is. I think he's a really small, insecure man who sometimes does good things to soak up aggrandizement and praise--- and even love-- but is always capable of acting in incredibly cruel and capricious ways when what he thinks is his gets challenged. He's tremendously entitled. This is the Doom of, say, Mark Waid or Matt Fraction. It's not the Doom of Walt Simonson or John Byrne. or Bendis. I think it's a valid reading of the guy over the course of six decades of stories but not the only one, and your enjoyment of the Cantwell series very much depends on how much patience you have for that particular interpetation.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

His Doom run was good up until the last issue. Pretty sure I'm the first one to say this, but I'd be pretty embarrassed if I wasn't

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

his Doom run sucked until the last issue, which was great

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I didn't really have a problem with last issue. If Doom is one thing he's vain and ego-driven. What he did in the moment was a bit extreme but I didn't much care. Doom as a hero has been proven to be fun in small doses but he's just better as a villain.

I think Bendis could have kept writing good Infamous Iron-Man (his best book in a long time) for a while if DC hadn't have dangled Superman in front of him

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The last issue of Dr. Doom was one of the worst issues of a comic I've ever read.

Doom is best when he's in the middle of being a hero or villain. Doing good things for selfish reasons. Or just being bad at doing good things. Hickman wrote an amazing Doom and then Bendis ran with it, and it's super disappointing that Marvel tossed all that aside. Though it seems like Ewing is bringing back that Hickman like version, and I trust him to write Doom well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I decided to catch up with one of my favorites on Unlimited who I hadn’t read anything about in a while, Dr. Druid. He just sucks as a hero. Sucks as a villain. I love it. Dude is a top ten magic person on the planet but is going to gently caress up and end up disrespected by everyone he meets.

This ended up taking me to Dr. Strange Surgeon Supreme. What a pleasant comic. I usually find Dr. Strange solo stuff to be either dull or too melodramatic to be any fun but this was really well done. A shame it didn’t last longer. And my boy, that is about the best he has done at anything in a while. Dr Druid is forced into actually being really competent in order to be able to compete with Dr. Strange in an arrogance contest was a nice touch, and this dynamic, really made him the perfect unwilling (on both their parts) sidekick to Strange. Also the C level villain that appears at the end is another treat for me, one of my favorites and actually a nice follow up to a thread I forgot was dangling.

It’s only six issues so if you are bored check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Immortal Hulk #50 is coming in October weighing in at EIGHTY PAGES. So uh I guess that's how they're going to have space to wrap everything up