Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It was delayed a year due to covid, but the no frills finally opened by my house and I'm so happy.

Unrelated: masks are down to about one in eight customers which makes me sad.

I got the money paw. For years my area is old ppl and uni students and no grocery store in walking distance. Like why the gently caress not.
We finally got one.
Save on foods.

...sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
the zellers restaurant was surprisingly good

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I got the money paw. For years my area is old ppl and uni students and no grocery store in walking distance. Like why the gently caress not.
We finally got one.
Save on foods.

...sigh.

Having only recently been exposed to the lackluster phenomena that is Save on foods I cannot express how lovely a grocery store it is. Is there no PC in BC??? It's not something i'd ever thought I'd miss, but oh man do I miss it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

We finally got one.
Save on foods.

...sigh.

poo poo, that's rough. I can't think of a worse grocery chain, I'd rather buy my food from 7-11 than then.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Z mart bear on a cross.

His name is Zeddy and he died for your dealz.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Virtual Russian posted:

Having only recently been exposed to the lackluster phenomena that is Save on foods I cannot express how lovely a grocery store it is. Is there no PC in BC??? It's not something i'd ever thought I'd miss, but oh man do I miss it.

I have a save on and an IGA within walking distance, funny enough that poster who posting the website showing places that require masks, the save n pharmacy which is detached beside the save on grocery requires masks but not the save on

if I want to go for a drive I can go to Superstore, Walmart, freshco, some bougie ones too but with kids I’m lazy and just go to the closest one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
local polytechnic university has a brewery program now and sells $10 64 oz growler fills, absolutely owns.

Virtual Russian posted:

we have PC here, loblaws are mostly in vancouver and north van, the outer reaches of the lower mainland have your independent grocers and superstore is everywhere. no idea what things are like in the interior though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conversion therapy camps are still open and still killing here in North America, what the gently caress are you talking about?

tbh the vast majority of those (at least in NA) aren't catholic

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The Zellers restaurant had really good fries and gravy. Was it called Zed's? It was like an old diner

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bi-la kaifa posted:

The Zellers restaurant had really good fries and gravy. Was it called Zed's? It was like an old diner

Was literally just RESTAURANT in Brandon (that I remember) but also heck yeah... I used to get fries or fries and a burger and read books while my mom shopped.

and I always got a cookie because they supported single moms

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bi-la kaifa posted:

https://twitter.com/jobdout/status/...00%2Fframe.html

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

drat, that gives me the same vibe as the Salisbury House that was in the old Greyhound terminal in downtown Winnipeg. Got a lot of memories of that place since it was the only way to get to the city before I had a car.

The one by the airport is similar but it just doesn't have the same feel when there's no risk of being stabbed on the adjoining street.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Virtual Russian posted:

Is there no PC in BC???

I mean there's things like RealCanadianSuperstore and YourIndependantGrocer that has PC stuff. Frankly, WalMart Supercenters are starting to have comparable stuff, though.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

the zellers restaurant was surprisingly good
Man, it wasn't even that long ago that those were around. I felt bad, because I distinctly remembering one server managing like 50 tables during an unexpected lunch rush. Food was still worth it, though.

mom and dad fight a lot has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Jul 10, 2021

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

man do I hate Save on Foods. It's great how everything is 20% more expensive than competitors unless you have a rewards card. Too many times I've been sucked into going to one and ended up fumbling on my phone for five minutes to sign up for a magic barcode that lets me pay normal price.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fisting by many posted:

man do I hate Save on Foods. It's great how everything is 20% more expensive than competitors unless you have a rewards card. Too many times I've been sucked into going to one and ended up fumbling on my phone for five minutes to sign up for a magic barcode that lets me pay normal price.

could be worse, IGA is 20% more expensive than save on foods and there's no rewards card to knock it down to normal grocery store prices

moving to a new development with a YIG right across the street has been amazing

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i have to say the one saving grace of living in mississauga was metro (the grocery chain)

i think it's a loblaws brand so gently caress em but i ate about infinity of those 99c kettle chips

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
all megacorps are bad but at least loblaws has some redeeming qualities, like whoever runs the no name twitter, and the PC loads of cheddar cheese crackers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
seriously I have to go for a run every now and then because I'll get super baked and just demolish a box of those things in one go they're so loving good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

infernal machines posted:

every april they're out flogging some poor bastard down the street, like it's a parade or something.

pretty messed up if you ask me

Their route is right by my house. One of these days I'm going to don my big brushy centurion helmet and join in the Ceremonial Shovin' Around Of The Christ.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

fisting by many posted:

i have to say the one saving grace of living in mississauga was metro (the grocery chain)

i think it's a loblaws brand so gently caress em but i ate about infinity of those 99c kettle chips

Metro is part of the other big grocery brand I think (I dunno what it's called but the one that has compliments stuff instead of PC / no name)

loblaws is a garbage company but pc / no name stuff is good, compliments with very few exceptions is notably worse IMO.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

equals hot pull the gently caress over

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

fisting by many posted:

metro is its own company, different than loblaws. food basics is owned by them as well

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah there’s metro / food basics, sobeys / freshco / iga, and then the loblaws conglomerate

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
co-op is low key the best grocer

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like YIG but can't bring myself to support loblaws. I do a monthly shop at costco and a bi-weekly shop at co-op for fresh stuff.

If there was a T&T here, i don't think i could stay out of it though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Powershift posted:

i have bad news for you about T&Ts corporate ownership

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

co-op is low key the best grocer

You must not buy vegetables. They have some of the worst quality produce out there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

What was the appropriate number of mosques to burn in protest of the ottoman empire's genocide of Armenians. An actual genocide that's still happening by a real organization that still exists with real people who are still in power.

as many as the armenians want

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

enki42 posted:

i have bad news for you about T&Ts corporate ownership

That's what i'm saying.

I'm just bad at words.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Powershift posted:

That's what i'm saying.

I'm just bad at words.

nah, i'm bad at reading.

to contribute, i wish Aldi or Lidl were in Canada, I think they nail the cheap but still good quality produce thing. (no frills once in a blue moon has a good store, but there are some BAD ones)

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
my wife showed me Snapchat’s of the partying at the stampede, yikes!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

fisting by many posted:

Unless you have a rewards card, where its still kinda bad. I've hopped in there to buy snacks for a party and their chip prices, with card, were worse than gas stations.

I legitimately don't understand how they stay in business. Were they really good twenty years ago, got everyone to sign up, and now people feel obliged to shop there?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unless you have a rewards card, where its still kinda bad. I've hopped in there to buy snacks for a party and their chip prices, with card, were worse than gas stations.

I legitimately don't understand how they stay in business. Were they really good twenty years ago, got everyone to sign up, and now people feel obliged to shop there?

They price match anybody else's flyer/coupons and if you put the work in you can seriously game their points system on top of it. My sister gets her groceries pretty drat cheap from there.

I can see on top of their vegetable coolers though and i doubt anybody has ever cleaned up there in any of their stores.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just use flipp

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Powershift posted:

They price match anybody else's flyer/coupons and if you put the work in you can seriously game their points system on top of it. My sister gets her groceries pretty drat cheap from there.

I can see on top of their vegetable coolers though and i doubt anybody has ever cleaned up there in any of their stores.

Oh, so Save On is entirely supported by miserable old ladies who treat the cashiers like poo poo.

The best part of working at Sobeys (literally the only "benefit" that place had) was that they didn't do price matching, ever.

Edit: not calling your sister a miserable old lady who treats cashiers bad, just making a facetious statement lol

Fashionable Jorts has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Jul 10, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Do it ironically posted:

my wife showed me Snapchat’s of the partying at the stampede, yikes!

this is basically alberta's reopening party, it was pretty much guaranteed to be completely wild

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

I like YIG but can't bring myself to support loblaws. I do a monthly shop at costco and a bi-weekly shop at co-op for fresh stuff.

you know they're the same company right? you can really screw the westons over if you start shopping at provigo or real canadian superstore instead ;)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, so Save On is entirely supported by miserable old ladies who treat the cashiers like poo poo.

The best part of working at Sobeys (literally the only "benefit" that place had) was that they didn't do price matching, ever.

Edit: not calling your sister a miserable old lady who treats cashiers bad, just making a facetious statement lol

Hey.

My sister's not old.

Mameluke posted:

you know they're the same company right? you can really screw the westons over if you start shopping at provigo or real canadian superstore instead ;)

Yeah, i know, the implication was that i would be too weak to ignore the variety.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

this is basically alberta's reopening party, it was pretty much guaranteed to be completely wild

its pretty modest as far as Stampedes go honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

is HMart ok? :ohdear: