Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

Does anyone today actually look forward to a Bruce Willis movie? Since Sin City 2 in 2014 the dude has made like 30 films and 97% are direct to video

I get excited if something older than Live Free or Die Hard is on TV or streaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Not sure if you can count Milla as "just fifteen minutes old" . She gets reconstructed from some surviving cells in her hand. And somehow has a complete vocabulary of that fake Mars talk (Uhhhh...genetic memory?) But she's a rebuilt adult who seems to have her prior memories intact. She knows who she has to meet on Earth and what she has to do.

Now she could fall under the "first contact with humans" clause, maybe?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

This is my favorite trope (to make fun of for being gross)

It was something I really disliked about that Alita Battle Angel movie.

to be fair, when we find out the reason for the body Ido plugs her into and the name he gives her the film makes it obvious that he has issues that need to worked on, especially since he's the only major character in the film that treats her like a child

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

Not sure if you can count Milla as "just fifteen minutes old" . She gets reconstructed from some surviving cells in her hand. And somehow has a complete vocabulary of that fake Mars talk (Uhhhh...genetic memory?) But she's a rebuilt adult who seems to have her prior memories intact. She knows who she has to meet on Earth and what she has to do.

Now she could fall under the "first contact with humans" clause, maybe?

No you see she wasn't a twelve year old she was actually a 1000 year old dragon but with science.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

No you see she wasn't a twelve year old she was actually a 1000 year old dragon but with science.

Well yeah but that issue is when they have a child's body but it's supposedly an adult so it's "ok" to lust over. Mila Jovovich isn't exactly a child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely remember that video from years ago, and it seems to inspire a lot of the tumblr-style discourse where people get a fairly valid idea and then run out with it like a weapon to declare war on the world with and overapply it to absolutely everything regardless of context.

90s movie sexual politics are already well acknowledged as needlessly skeezy without having to stretch things.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Roblo posted:

Well yeah but that issue is when they have a child's body but it's supposedly an adult so it's "ok" to lust over. Mila Jovovich isn't exactly a child.

I would describe her her character in the movie as "looks like a teenager and acts like a child" and apparently the pedo director thought so too because he dumped his pregnant wife for her.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In lighter news, I nominate My Teacher, My Obsession (a movie that never seems to leave Netflix) where a crazed teenager seduces her teacher and it doesn't immediately end with him getting fired and chased out of town.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I would describe her her character in the movie as "looks like a teenager and acts like a child" and apparently the pedo director thought so too because he dumped his pregnant wife for her.

He dumped his wife for a character a grown women played in a movie.

Like you know the fifth element isn’t real

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

This video is really good.

Seconded, it owns. I wish it didn't skim over the John/Cameron relationship in Sarah Connor Chronicles though, because it is skin-crawling in all the right way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2mxiceKY7g

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Roblo posted:

As mentioned before, the "Born Sexy Yesterday" stereotype is more about power balance than actually looking like a child. In fact, it's about characters that have the body of an adult woman, but are put at a negative power balance (similar to that of a child to and adult; or of an "innocent native girl" to a colonial explorer).

Leeloo and Dallas are a good example of the latter: she doesn't speak the language, so she has to rely on him for every external interaction; Leeloo perception of Dallas is skewed by her complete inexperience with everything that isn't kicking rear end, so Dallas looks like an all knowing individual to her, the lens through which she can learn about the world; she doesn't have the concept of "western" modesty, disrobing in front of the priests. As often with the stereotype, she has kickass combat skills but this is counterbalanced by her cultural and social innocence.

Dallas is in a position of almost absolute power over her in every social and cultural interactions and still tries to establish a sexual relation with her...and this is somehow shown as cute instead of creepy.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Jul 10, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All you need to know about The Fifth Element is that Luc Besson wrote the story when he was 16 years old, which more or less explains every choice made in that film.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
One thing that always bugged me about Leeloo is that she was one of those Monichiwans, and all that survived was her right hand. They used the few living cells, which had much denser DNA, as a basis for her body, but wouldn't her right hand still be a weird alien hand?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know the Fifth Element is a pretty cool movie and I'll continue thinking it's pretty cool, but I can also acknowledge that yeah, there's something a little creepy about that "romance" and it's my least favorite thing about the movie. It's far from the only movie to have this problem. Old stuff is usually problematic somehow, that's just a fact of life.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

In lighter news, I nominate My Teacher, My Obsession (a movie that never seems to leave Netflix) where a crazed teenager seduces her teacher and it doesn't immediately end with him getting fired and chased out of town.

This movie is really loving funny

There are like three scenes where the teen is seducing the guy and he like awkwardly clears his throat or says “Um, hmm...” and I love thinking in his head he’s like “they can’t prosecute me now, I cleared my throat and made a noise. What else was I to do????”

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Reading the wikipedia synopsis and remembering the movie (albeit I havent seen it probably since the late 90s) I have no idea what you guys are talking about. It seems like its an adult playing an adult? I dont see how it compares to 10000 year old demon in body of a child at all.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Reading the wikipedia synopsis and remembering the movie (albeit I havent seen it probably since the late 90s) I have no idea what you guys are talking about. It seems like its an adult playing an adult? I dont see how it compares to 10000 year old demon in body of a child at all.
Self quoting from a few posts above :v:

That Italian Guy posted:

As mentioned before, the "Born Sexy Yesterday" stereotype is more about power balance than actually looking like a child. In fact, it's about characters that have the body of an adult woman, but are put at a negative power balance (similar to that of a child to and adult; or of an "innocent native girl" to a colonial explorer).

Leeloo and Dallas are a good example of the latter: she doesn't speak the language, so she has to rely on him for every external interaction; Leeloo perception of Dallas is skewed by her complete inexperience with everything that isn't kicking rear end, so Dallas looks like an all knowing individual to her, the lens through which she can learn about the world; she doesn't have the concept of "western" modesty, disrobing in front of the priests. As often with the stereotype, she has kickass combat skills but this is counterbalanced by her cultural and social innocence.

Dallas is in a position of almost absolute power over her in every social and cultural interactions and still tries to establish a sexual relation with her...and this is somehow shown as cute instead of creepy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It doesn’t make any sense. It’s more like your classic fish out of water story if anything

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn’t make any sense. It’s more like your classic fish out of water story if anything
Fish out of water stories where the female lead is the aforementioned fish and the male lead has to be the lens through which she experiences our world AND at the same time wants to start a relation with this person who is totally depent from them is literally what the video is about.

The 2 elements of the problem are:
A) there is an inherent power inbalance between the 2 leads and
B) male leads voluntarily or involuntarily abuses this power inbalance in order to sleep with the female lead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you can argue it’s problematic if you want but that’s what the story was. A fish out of water that used that element more for jokes and I guess a plot element considering she consuders humanity not worth saving after looking up atrocities on the internet.

Until convinced to save them because the power of love changed her mind.

Kind of dumb but pretty straightforward

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah it's not problematic in the text of the story, it's just the subtext that makes it so in retrospective. I don't think most people would have considered it problematic at the time, while something like Leon was definitely wearing the creepy vibes more on its sleeve. Death of the author and all that, but Leeloo feels more like a wish fullfilment fantasy on Besson's end when you consider his general proclivities.

EDIT: speaking of fish out of water, Splash is another good example of this stereotype (innocent gorgeous woman, unaware of the western decency rules, depends on "regular" man as if they were a super-wise, all knowing one since they are their only way to understand our world, etc).

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jul 10, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is such a weirdly evergreen genre that it runs the gamut from 70s exploitation to 90s Lifetime original movie to thriller that plays things straight. I guess everyone needs to be warned constantly about the plague of sexy teens who deviously ruin the lives of adult men who cannot possibly resist them, and the fact that they know this is what makes them so devious. Eli Roth's Knock Knock has framing to suggest that it is a self-conscious pastiche of exploitation movies with this premise, but like every one of his movies, it's just another entry into the genre.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Not worth saving as opposed to when the male lead sexually assaults her? I love the movie but this one is a real dumb hill to die on dude.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Speaking of this horrible, gross trope, I should mention Pretty Little Liars, a show obsessed with having adult men try to seduce the teenage leads. In the first few episodes alone we have two different romances built around men predating on teenage girls:

-The sixteen-year old smart girl flirts with her older sister's fiancee, a med student. He slips her a drink of alcohol at dinner to show he's "cool" which is some classic grooming behavior, and the two later make out
-The sixteen-year old artsy girl makes out with a dude in a bar while she's pretending to be a college student. Then- surprise!- that dude is actually her new sophomore English teacher, putting him at, bare minimum, 22-23 years old. If that had been the end of it, it would have been weird, but at least understandable for the dude to hook up with a girl he thought was a college student. Instead, the two of them enter into a series-long relationship, sleeping together when she's an illegal minor, with that power dynamic being doubly hosed between them because he's not only an adult, he's her loving teacher. Then later it gets even worse because it's retconned to reveal that he knew she was a teenager when they met because he knew who she was thanks to him having also had a brief relationship with her friend when he was in college and she was fifteen. By the end, artsy girl and her english teacher get married, which is going to make for some insanely awkward conversations later in life.
-Also there are a ton of other instances of adult guys hitting on the teen girls in this show. These are just the two from the first couple of episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is it always English teachers or humanities professors who gently caress their students in these stories? There’s an excellent book—or at least a long book—waiting to be written about how movies and tv ceaselessly reflect the cultural belief that the humanities are morally vacuous and dangerous. And if English teachers aren’t trying to seduce their students, they’re unfairly persecuting the hero or stealing credit for their work, or are vain, or arrogant, or foppish, or have no common sense.

I mean, in real life surely there are at least as many engineering professors and math teachers who are pedophile rapists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Not worth saving as opposed to when the male lead sexually assaults her? I love the movie but this one is a real dumb hill to die on dude.

I’m surprised that’s not the more clear focus rather than this rather broad stretch. It’s still is a pretty gross movie and Bruce Willis doesn’t really have any character growth he’s just better person now.

Though that happens in a lot of action movie where the protagonist does bad things but it’s ignored because they are a better person now.

Like the way the movie handles Willis character is bad more than the female character if I’m being real

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why is it always English teachers or humanities professors who gently caress their students in these stories?

Men of science crave not the pleasures of the flesh.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not really anything problematic, but more a funny example of perceptions changing, but I've been putting The Simpsons on in the background while working from home and I got to the episode where Homer helps Mel Gibson to rewrite Mr Smith Goes to Washington, and it's funny seeing Mel portrayed (relatively) positively and Robert Downey Jr. portrayed as some dangerous criminal outcast.

Why is it always English teachers or humanities professors who gently caress their students in these stories? There’s an excellent book—or at least a long book—waiting to be written about how movies and tv ceaselessly reflect the cultural belief that the humanities are morally vacuous and dangerous. And if English teachers aren’t trying to seduce their students, they’re unfairly persecuting the hero or stealing credit for their work, or are vain, or arrogant, or foppish, or have no common sense.

I mean, in real life surely there are at least as many engineering professors and math teachers who are pedophile rapists.

I'm gonna guess with absolutely no empirical evidence that English students or humanities students are more likely to be writing novels and basing the professor on the one lovely professor they had?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well it seems in athletics that there is a LOT of grooming happening and has been happening for decades. Up here in Canada it kinda seems like every few months there are a bunch of former athletes coming forward to talk about how their coach sexually assaulted them or other predatory things and, in quite a few cases, they kinda seem like the coach targeted these players because they could get away with it and the victims wouldn't tell anyone because of fear.

then you have the other side where a coach just gets so involved in your life at a young age that they basically control your life and you don't know any better because you're 13 goddamn years old. This documentary came out just a couple weeks ago here in Canada but the events covered happened in the early 90s https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/mary-jane-richards-peter-des-brisay-grooming-relationship-1.6080215

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Toshimo posted:

-Richard Feynman has entered the chat-

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He dumped his wife for a character a grown women played in a movie.

Like you know the fifth element isn’t real

His wife that she started dating when be was in his 30s and she was 15.

Which inspired him to write a film where a kind hearted hitman meets and falls in love with a 12 year old which was salvaged by Jean Reno going "Wtf dude? Cut all the creepy stuff from the script and I'm in."

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Why is it always English teachers or humanities professors who gently caress their students in these stories?

A number of potential factors at play- one is that, at least in the US, everyone has to have an English class every year so it makes the experience all the more universal, and often time you'll have the same English teacher multiple years in a row, so it all leads to English having more of a feel of a "home room" class, thus adding to the paternal/maternal vibes they give off and upping the creepy/horny ratio.

Additionally, my guess would be more writers themselves have English degrees and write such things to live out their creepy fantasies

Lastly,

Toshimo posted:

this made me laugh my rear end off, thank you

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honestly, though, the video had the right of it:. People write the sicko power fantasy they know.

Lit nerds and humanities majors write about going to bone town with their "incredibly mature for their age" student in the school library.

STEM nerds write about loving dragon girls 1000-year old women and space princesses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One day I will write the worst book ever written. It's about a writer struggling with writer's block, who is also a college professor who is contemplating adultery with a female student half his age. There's also a parallel story about post-war Vienna for some reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One day I will write the worst book ever written. It's about a writer struggling with writer's block, who is also a college professor who is contemplating adultery with a female student half his age. There's also a parallel story about post-war Vienna for some reason.

Pretty sure Woody Allen will buy the movie rights for that before it's published.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing to remember about Fifth Element was that even if all the pedophilic under(age)tones were removed it would still be a lovely movie

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That sounds like if Henry Miller wrote Thomas Pynchon's V.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think I it’s already a John Irving novel. Maybe two.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I think that’s a bunch of novels 1950-2010 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Speaking of this horrible, gross trope, I should mention Pretty Little Liars, a show obsessed with having adult men try to seduce the teenage leads. In the first few episodes alone we have two different romances built around men predating on teenage girls:

-The sixteen-year old smart girl flirts with her older sister's fiancee, a med student. He slips her a drink of alcohol at dinner to show he's "cool" which is some classic grooming behavior, and the two later make out
-The sixteen-year old artsy girl makes out with a dude in a bar while she's pretending to be a college student. Then- surprise!- that dude is actually her new sophomore English teacher, putting him at, bare minimum, 22-23 years old. If that had been the end of it, it would have been weird, but at least understandable for the dude to hook up with a girl he thought was a college student. Instead, the two of them enter into a series-long relationship, sleeping together when she's an illegal minor, with that power dynamic being doubly hosed between them because he's not only an adult, he's her loving teacher. Then later it gets even worse because it's retconned to reveal that he knew she was a teenager when they met because he knew who she was thanks to him having also had a brief relationship with her friend when he was in college and she was fifteen. By the end, artsy girl and her english teacher get married, which is going to make for some insanely awkward conversations later in life.
-Also there are a ton of other instances of adult guys hitting on the teen girls in this show. These are just the two from the first couple of episodes.

On Friday Night Lights like half the residents of Dillon are pedophiles, probably because the local teenagers are all played by hot 26-year-olds. The worst plot related to this is when Tim dates the 30-year-old single mom next door, who is at least aware that she's committing a crime and tries to keep it secret. Then she leaves him for his adult brother. Nothing weird about that!

There is also a short arc about the young handsome English teacher taking Julie on as his favorite student. He never actually makes a move but Tami basically calls him a pedo in front of the whole school. Of course her daughter already dated a guy of ambiguous age who had a rock band an apartment, and would later sleep with her married TA in college. Most Julie arcs are pretty bad.