Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

Vaush Just Announced he's going to debate Charlie Kirk On Tim Pool's show. It will be a three v one debate with Charlie Kirk, Cassandra Fairbanks, and Tim Pool. It will happen next month. The topic is Critical Race Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't really listened to TrueAnon but I'm listening to the mission schools ep and huh this is actually really good

listen to more trueanon. it's allll good

i enjoyed it but it was very little brace/liz, too little. infact, i'm not sure liz spoke at all besides the intro/outro. although that seems to be somewhat common is more interview-y stuff like Maria Farmer episode she doesn't seem to say much

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

when I get earbuds, I'm just going to flip a coin to see whether I listen to TrueAnon or a book on tape

either/or, I can't go wrong, will just get frustrated at the flips if it comes up too many times

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i get the impression that franczak doesn't want to say something insensitive during fraught interviews and so just lets belden get on with it

the guy they were interviewing was extremely intense and clearly personally invested in what he was talking about. the episode was informative, but it did turn into a bit of a rant at times. the usual comedy bits and chemistry got lost a little, and the connections they're normally able to sketch out to bourgeois society as a whole were missing because they clearly - and reasonably - didn't want to mess too much with their guest. a good episode so long as it's an exception imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

i get the impression that franczak doesn't want to say something insensitive during fraught interviews and so just lets belden get on with it

the guy they were interviewing was extremely intense and clearly personally invested in what he was talking about. the episode was informative, but it did turn into a bit of a rant at times. the usual comedy bits and chemistry got lost a little, and the connections they're normally able to sketch out to bourgeois society as a whole were missing because they clearly - and reasonably - didn't want to mess too much with their guest. a good episode so long as it's an exception imo
Absolutely. It's just a bit odd brace is always the one talking in most of their "interview" episodes, because I think she would be less likely to even say something insensitive and I think she could have things to inquire or ask about, but maybe it's just a sit-back-and-record style for her and not in the comfort-zone. which does end up losing elements of the show -- but that's okay, as you say, are rare exceptions

i liked it, it was definitely informative (all of them are; even the christmas elves episode), but perhaps because I knew a good portion of the content that it wouldn't go in my top 25.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it was certainly a much more serious and heavy episode considering the circumstances but well, it's certainly justified in this case

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Vaush Just Announced he's going to debate Charlie Kirk On Tim Pool's show. It will be a three v one debate with Charlie Kirk, Cassandra Fairbanks, and Tim Pool. It will happen next month. The topic is Critical Race Theory.

Only heard about Vaush through these forums. Every clip I've ever seen (dipshit with ponytail) helps me confidently say that whatever this "debate" is will be beyond stupid.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It looks like it's going to be a meeting of the minds.

president biden. Sir. i respectfully request the deployment of a predator drone sir.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Algund Eenboom posted:

Too bad this isn't an in-person event. Great way to get four for the price of one

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

crepeface posted:

along with Citations Needed, ALAB is fantastic, esp. the sanctions episode (i think the followup comparison with cyberwarfare is even better).

the barrier i've found for my friends is to expose the "neutral" state of the world as something with history that has a resulting power structure. for people who grew up in the 80s-90s, past the "end of history", the biggest hurdle is to get past premises that you don't even think about. for one of my STEM friends ~20 years ago, the phrase "faith is not a virtue" was what really snapped him out of the last vestiges of being a christian.

the other approach is maybe economics focused, maybe richard wolff's podcast/youtube? i've not really gone deep on it though.

isn’t citations needed a cia op

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

no they're just a little wokescoldy at times

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
radio war nerd is always the answer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

alab loving rocks. why did I wait so long to try it

now you get to wait to try it for another couple months

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

radio war nerd is very good, but it may be a little difficult to get into unless you get a good episode. maybe start off with one of the war roundups or the recent afghanistan episode

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

radio war nerd is very good, but it may be a little difficult to get into unless you get a good episode. maybe start off with one of the war roundups or the recent afghanistan episode

RWN has covered so many wars and conflicts at this point, you can just search for something that you're interested in and find what you're looking for.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

Anybody with enough emotional distance to talk level headedly about native genocide isn't qualified to speak on it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
wtf medhurst is a brit, raised in goddamn vienna?!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
there's nothing wrong with citations needed's politics lol

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Xaris posted:

Absolutely. It's just a bit odd brace is always the one talking in most of their "interview" episodes, because I think she would be less likely to even say something insensitive and I think she could have things to inquire or ask about, but maybe it's just a sit-back-and-record style for her and not in the comfort-zone. which does end up losing elements of the show -- but that's okay, as you say, are rare exceptions

I wonder if it's because the interview episodes are more likely to bring non-listeners who are just interested in the person being interviewed and they want to minimize Liz's polarizing voice. Everytime i make the wife listen to trueanon in the car she mentions about 4 times an episode she hates that woman's voice and would have turned it off immediately if I wasn't listening.

Shipon posted:

Lol at the time they self flagellated for their ableist jokes about precut veggies.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I wonder if it's because the interview episodes are more likely to bring non-listeners who are just interested in the person being interviewed and they want to minimize Liz's polarizing voice. Everytime i make the wife listen to trueanon in the car she mentions about 4 times an episode she hates that woman's voice and would have turned it off immediately if I wasn't listening.

Lol at the time they self flagellated for their ableist jokes about precut veggies.

Your wife has terrible taste in voices

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lmao @ the phrase "polarizing voice"

yeah the opening banter was pretty good even if the rest of it was an incredibly depressing interview. I'd already somehow missed that the Canadian schools didn't close until the 90s, and I was still processing that while they kept talking up a report on the abuses that happened in the system and then casually dropped that it came out in 1907 and I felt like I went nuts for a second

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i find trueAnon Liz's voice incredibly charming

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

tmfc posted:

:hai:

also wrt virgil i recall someone in c-spam or on twitter met him once and said he had "hot girl energy" and was super dismissive. lol

Wasn't that Taintrunner?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Where is this coming from lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Exodus1984 posted:

Only heard about Vaush through these forums. Every clip I've ever seen (dipshit with ponytail) helps me confidently say that whatever this "debate" is will be beyond stupid.

for real

it is weird as hell that there are people who give even half a poo poo about that dude on here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Deified Data posted:

Where is this coming from lol

mental illness

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't that Taintrunner?

even funnier if so

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

"in new Zealand they called that the walk of shame" is an all time old guy line from mister brecher

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The only podcast that isn't a CIA op is behind the bastards.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Feeling pretty betrayed by the Joe Gardener Show right about now, but I guess I should have picked up on the clues

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

TrueAnon is if Howard Stern was smart, Cum Town is if Howard Stern was funny

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The only podcast that is a CIA op is behind the bastards.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shipon posted:

the wokescoldiness is good for giving a left-curious NPR lib the push they need

pls do not link Matt vlogs to a normie npr lib lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Brace Belden is a CIA agent

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Feeling pretty betrayed by the Joe Gardener Show right about now, but I guess I should have picked up on the clues

Netflix is doing a similar show. My condolences to bobby evans.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80989772

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anybody with enough emotional distance to talk level headedly about native genocide isn't qualified to speak on it.

yeah i get that it's a legitimately upsetting topic and there's not a lot of other ways to cover it, but tbh i'm glad that the show is not generally like this. i'm an ocean away from this stuff, so for me it's not an obvious thing to get upset about despite it being incredibly harrowing. my country had its own indigenous genocide programme (and traveller sterilisation until the seventies), but it never got that bad, and the follow-up to it has been less abjectly terrible than it's been in the americas.

the point being, part of the appeal of trueanon (to me, at least) is that it's fun. this episode wasn't fun. i accept that it's probably not possible to do an episode about this which is both fun and not incredibly crass, so this is fine - but i'm glad that it's not every episode.

lobster shirt posted:

"in new Zealand they called that the walk of shame" is an all time old guy line from mister brecher

i like that dolan is such a geezer. it adds a lot of flavour to the show imo

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Jul 10, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

oh yeah that was the one I was thinking of.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

oh yeah that was the one I was thinking of.

Lmao that this exact mistake happened a few months ago with ALAB

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

V. Illych L. posted:

i like that dolan is such a geezer. it adds a lot of flavour to the show imo

it was so great when he spent several episodes saying he liked to "monitor comment threads" and then revealed it was yahoo comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LMAO at forcing your wife to listen to something she hates for hours at a time.

here’s a pro tip: if you’re trying to crack-ping someone, start off by talking about the history of slavery in the US. slavery is something every reasonable person can agree is bad. once you crest that hill, you can lay the groundwork for “so if slavery is bad, and the government did slavery, the government is bad” and from there you can go in literally any direction, from politics to capitalism itself to institutional racism to how our prison system is just slavery with a different label.

the other upside is that if you can’t get them to accept the baseline of “slavery is bad” then they are just a hosed up moron and you don’t have to talk to them anymore.