Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
reading the interminable back and forth between "opening runs the risk of developing more variants" and various responses that can be summarized mostly as "nyehhhh!" and deciding confidently that I should hang myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prom candy posted:

If we have more lockdowns in the fall I'm going to continue to socialize indoors with other fully vaccinated people (unless the situation changes and the vaccines are no longer effective)

In terms of opening early, we're ahead on every metric from the best case scenario they modelled when the framework came out. Sticking to your guns for the sake of sticking to your guns doesn't make a ton of sense. My biggest complaint with this government has been their failure to change course when the situation changes.

It's not just capital that wants to loosen restrictions. A lot of people are vaccinated and want to start getting back to their lives. I'm not saying we should fully reopen with packed concerts and stadiums but I want to get back to playing hockey with my vaccinated friends.

The problem with the Ontario government in particular is they have never stuck to their guns at all, except when it came to keeping schools open, oddly, and that has repeatedly had negative outcomes. In this particular case, it almost certainly won't matter. Nevertheless, I would like the government to actually govern in a consistent and equitable manner with some semblance of logic, if at all possible based on actual data and justified with the same rather than at the whims of whatever industry group is screaming the loudest today.

The fact that this particular time we all happen to think there won't be significant negative outcomes from ignoring their own framework, unlike all the previous times they did that, doesn't mean it's suddenly good that they're going to ignore their own framework for reopening.

There is no point to creating a framework if you then just start stacking bricks and hammering boards together wherever you decide looks good.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why does the census ask us how many years we did in elementary school and secondary school and not whether we completed it? It was over 20 years ago I don't remember how many years it is and I don't have kids how am I supposed to know! :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I guess if you had completed it, it would be easier to keep track of.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

I guess if you had completed it, it would be easier to keep track of.

Look, sometimes you fall down a well and go on adventures and don't come back the same person.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bleck posted:

reading the interminable back and forth between "opening runs the risk of developing more variants" and various responses that can be summarized mostly as "nyehhhh!" and deciding confidently that I should hang myself

It's a pretty dumb reason to oppose loosening restrictions, and there's good ones available. If we're worried about developing new variants then we should be throwing absolutely everything we have into vaccinating the rest of the world.

(Sorry, does that fall under "nyehhhh"?)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm looking forward to dying of the Boston Pizza variant, personally

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

pokeyman posted:

(Sorry, does that fall under "nyehhhh"?)

yes

prom candy posted:

I'm looking forward to dying

god, same

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think I gave up on "what about new variants" when I learned that a new variant can develop entirely within one person.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The census asked me what languages my 6 month old baby spoke.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McGavin posted:

Bilingual. Wookie and Mars Attacks alien

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McGavin posted:

What was your answer?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

None wasn't an option, so I put English even though the only English he spoke was "dada", which isn't even a word, really.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

McGavin posted:

None wasn't an option, so I put English even though the only English he spoke was "dada", which isn't even a word, really.

Dada isn't art

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One other thing I found that was curious about the census language questions was that it only asked about languages-other-than-English-and-French being spoken in the home, not whether you could speak and understand them -- but it did specifically ask if you speak/understand English and French regardless of whether it's used in the home.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

McGavin posted:

if you were doing it online I don't remember if "neither English or French" is an option but it is an option if you did in-peron or over the phone. Did you leave any comments about it not being an option? I've gotten a lot of comments about there being not enough options for certain questions.

Also you only get asked if you know languages other than French or English via the "first language learned at home as a child and still understands" question if you have a short-form, or if your residence was assigned a long-form there is a question asking if you know languages other than French or English

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It was online, and I filled it out two months ago, so I don't remember all the options exactly, but I do remember that none of them fit.

I did leave a comment about how maybe asking for the language spoken by children under 2 didn't make any sense.

Edit: My wife speaks a language other than English or French, so that explains why I was asked.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 10, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I get my second shot tomorrow thank fuuuuuuuuuck

Delta come at me bro

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got my 2nd shot of Moderna on Thursday and I was absolutely incapacitated all day yesterday. Literally the sickest I have ever been. Fever, chills, and the worst headache I've ever had. Feel fine today though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think I'm 100% past my 2nd Pfizer dose (thursday) so I'm ready to start feeling tired and lovely on my own merit again.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

I get my second shot tomorrow thank fuuuuuuuuuck

Delta come at me bro

Hey, same! Looking forward to maybe the beginning of the end of this stupidass rollercoaster

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know how it's going in other provinces, but yeah it's gonna be a lovely few weeks here in Alberta just because we're so close to basically having everyone vaccinated who wants to be, but there's still a lot of people just short.

It was a ridiculous choice to do it now instead of in 3-4 weeks, when the number of people fully protected would be far higher and fewer people would be anxious about it.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Pleads posted:

e: The Nashville North tent will require proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter, loving lol the cowboy chuds are going to rage.

Word is $50 will get your test "lost," and $100 will get you waved in regardless. I can't wait to see what the numbers will be like 2 weeks from now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

When you go to Nashville North, regardless of the year or any ongoing pandemics, you expect disease will spread.

This one will make you cough instead of making it burn when you pee, but, whatever.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Got shot #2 today. Moderna, to go with the Pfizer one I got first. Just a sore arm right now, but I'm prepared to feel in rougher shape tomorrow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got my invitation for my 2nd dose but the only available dates are during my birthday week and I'm going to a cabin during that week so I'm going to delay until after I get back in case I'm feeling horrible. But it gives me such anxiety because I want to be fully dosed so so bad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Second dose sounds like a pretty great birthday present to me!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you call around you might be able to find something more convenient, depending on what stupid province you live in

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Second dose sounds like a pretty great birthday present to me!

Yeah, as it happens I got mine on my birthday, and I had plans with my family. We said gently caress it, the vaccine is better, and postponed. Best birthday gift I've ever got.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Given my family history of lovely things happening on people's birthdays there's no loving way I'm getting something injected into my body on my or any of my other family members birthdays.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Given my family history of lovely things happening on people's birthdays there's no loving way I'm getting something injected into my body on my or any of my other family members birthdays.

That's fair. Please get it on any other day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just got my second dose of Pfizer. Seeing as my non dominant arm is broken they gave it to my dominant arm. After the first dose I remember my arm hurting like hell for a few days so I am looking forward to having two useless arma for a couple of days.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I was supposed to be going to the Kootenays for my birthday but since I can’t risk not being on fire I moved my vaccine to tomorrow, my birthday as well. Hopefully I can convince them at the clinic to give me the dose same time as my partner so I don’t have to wait four more hours! Super excited though.

Normal?
Oct 9, 2004
I made pizzas on the floor!

Madkal posted:

Just got my second dose of Pfizer. Seeing as my non dominant arm is broken they gave it to my dominant arm. After the first dose I remember my arm hurting like hell for a few days so I am looking forward to having two useless arma for a couple of days.

Anecdotal stories here:

Roommate went to get his shot and when asked what arm he wanted the shot in, he replied to the nurse: "You're the expert, you tell me!"

To which, the nurse actually said that the dominant arm was better because you move it more and that way it works the soreness out quicker.

So, you're probably doing alright.

Another friend who works with horses, said they work horses after giving them shots in order to work the soreness out. So again, dominant arm might be better.

Edit: I'm getting my 2nd shot next week and I'm going to get it in my dominant arm. See what all the fuss is about.

Normal? fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 11, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Normal? posted:

Edit: I'm getting my 2nd shot next week and I'm going to get it in my dominant arm. See what all the fuss is about.

at hospital lost arb

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Rust Martialis posted:

at hospital lost arb

Good thing. All those fingats had mice on them.

I got Pfizer #2 on Friday. No mixed vaccines here. All you mixed-vacs are 2nd class citizens. Purevacs are God's chosen and will inherit the Earth.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Got my second Pfizer shot on Wednesday. I felt totally fine until about noon the next day, and then felt flu-ish for the rest of the day - full-body aches, chills, etc. Also had some lower back pain that may have been unrelated.

The vaccine rollout operation at the Palais des congrès in Gatineau is really impressive. Appointment at 3:30, in the waiting chair at 3:35, and out the door by 3:50. No messing around at all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ChickenDoodle posted:

I was supposed to be going to the Kootenays for my birthday but since I can’t risk not being on fire I moved my vaccine to tomorrow, my birthday as well. Hopefully I can convince them at the clinic to give me the dose same time as my partner so I don’t have to wait four more hours! Super excited though.

In Vancouver I showed up an hour early and there wasn't much of a line up so got it about ten minutes after showing up. They just checked to see if the date of the appointment was correct. Hopefully it works out the same for you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I was almost 20m late and nobody gave a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Got both doses at the Telus Convention Centre. First one had a long line through the Plus 15s but still moved fairly quick, took about an hour from getting in line to leaving after the 15 minute waiting period. Second one, I pretty much walked right in and got the poke. I was impressed with how organized it was both times. Amazing how if you give the Health Care system enough resources, everything works pretty well!