Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TEAM HOT BOIS!
TEAM HOT BOIS!!
TEAM HOT BOIS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

What was he suspended for and for how long?

quote:

Former komusubi Abi was suspended for three grand tournaments and had his pay halved for five months for breaking guidelines aimed at preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Japan Sumo Association announced Thursday.

/.../

The Shikoroyama stable grappler, whose real name is Kosuke Horikiri, started the 15-day event as a No. 5 maegashira, but was withdrawn on the seventh day by his stablemaster after it was revealed he had gone out to hostess bars with another wrestler from a different stable.

When first questioned by the JSA's compliance committee, Abi said he had been out only twice -- once before and once during the tournament -- but it later transpired that he had underreported the number of visits.

In addition to moving the July tournament from Nagoya to Tokyo, where the JSA is based, to limit travel, the association asked wrestlers to refrain from making nonessential outings amid the pandemic and also barred them from training with wrestlers from other stables to limit the spread of the virus.

"He was behaving in a frivolous fashion when so many association members were enduring a very cramped lifestyle," a member of the compliance committee said.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hakuho practices with Enho, there's no way Tobizaru was gonna throw him off with tricky tachiais, and once they were standing Tobi had nothing for him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Takuan posted:

What was he suspended for and for how long?

breaking covid protocols by visiting hostess bars compounded by lying about it. he missed three complete basho and the second half of the one that was underway when he got caught. dropped from high maegashira to low makushita.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/08/5981ed26ef34-sumo-jsa-rejects-abis-resignation-hands-wrestler-3-tourney-ban.html

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 10, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the other thing i'm reminded of now that Hakuho is back is just how loving tall he is, he towers over everyone but isn't built in a way that it looks unnatural, when he's just by himself he looks like a normal sized person albeit a heavier one, then you see him next to Tobizaru and it looks like goliath

google tells me he is 6'4"

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Kenning posted:

Just in case anyone is on the fence, today is the last day for trading. We don't do trades in the second week, so get while the getting is good.

I cannot ride the Myogiryu train the way he's been performing in this basho; requesting a trade of Myogiryu for Chiyoshoma, if available.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Southpaugh posted:

Fair play to Tobizaru, it was his first time up against the man who is the very apex of sumo. Imagine growing up and having intentions of high level sumo and The Guy is who you're up against next. He knew he was getting punted no matter what and he tried to think his way out of the loss and he still got creamed as if he had no idea of what he was doing. He'll gain a lot of confidence from that loss I imagine.

I think Ura's first (and so far, only) crack at Hakuho is a great example of how to go at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o75R6BRGPb8

The action starts around 3:15, but the whole preparation is great, because Ura is obviously nervous, but still makes eye contact with Hak.

He comes out quickly, dodges the Hamfu special at tachiai, makes Hak dodge a leg grab at the rope and I think Hak ends it quickly because he knows he might get caught out if Ura throws something weird at him. Hak even helps him up at the end, like, good try kid.

Ura's small and quick, but its scary that Hakuho is much larger and probably slightly faster.

Lid posted:

the other thing i'm reminded of now that Hakuho is back is just how loving tall he is, he towers over everyone but isn't built in a way that it looks unnatural, when he's just by himself he looks like a normal sized person albeit a heavier one, then you see him next to Tobizaru and it looks like goliath

google tells me he is 6'4"

There's only a couple dudes nearly as tall - Kaisei and Terunofuji, I think. The height's a great advantage because you can get to a good weight without having to be as fat as shorter guys.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 10, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Thauros posted:

screw it, i'll drop daiesho for my normal slot pick of hokutofuji he's also already gone through the san'yaku and daiesho just doesn't look right beyond the compition level he's faced

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth eh? Tobizaru probably saw that one go differently but it owned regardless.

I may be tempting a slapdown from the sumo gods but can I please trade my first choice Terutsoyoshi for my 3rd, Kiribayama?

NuclearPotato posted:

I cannot ride the Myogiryu train the way he's been performing in this basho; requesting a trade of Myogiryu for Chiyoshoma, if available.

All registered for Day 8.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

There's only a couple dudes nearly as tall - Kaisei and Terunofuji, I think. The height's a great advantage because you can get to a good weight without having to be as fat as shorter guys.

Thauros posted:

hokuseiho (hakuho's giant teenage protogé) is 4-0 at makushita 2 and the only undefeated rikishi left in the division. he'll certainly make is seikitori debut next basho

hokuseho's 200 cm/almost 6'6 and is young enough he might not have stopped growing yet

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Elissimpark posted:

I think Ura's first (and so far, only) crack at Hakuho is a great example of how to go at it:

The action starts around 3:15, but the whole preparation is great, because Ura is obviously nervous, but still makes eye contact with Hak.

He comes out quickly, dodges the Hamfu special at tachiai, makes Hak dodge a leg grab at the rope and I think Hak ends it quickly because he knows he might get caught out if Ura throws something weird at him. Hak even helps him up at the end, like, good try kid.

Ura's small and quick, but its scary that Hakuho is much larger and probably slightly faster.

Yeah good example, he had a plan and tried to make it work - knowing he had to deal with both "big guy" sumo and Hakuhos towering experience and skill gaps.

I actually think Hakuho is pretty much the perfect build for Sumo, he's got it all without any of the real downsides of being big. Just an absolutely spectacular athlete. He looks big beside the small guys and normal looking beside the monster men like Ichinojo and Terunofuji.

Thauros posted:

hokuseho's 200 cm/almost 6'6 and is young enough he might not have stopped growing yet

Men don't stop developing up until the mid 20s anyhow, he'll be very big I imagine.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 10, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

couple lower division notes i want to point out as no one's mentioned them here in recent pages. abi's 7-0 in juryo, still undefeated since his return from suspension. is promotion to makuuchi possible if he gets a zensho from j14? guessing being at the top of juryo in september is more likely.

Maybe? A zensho would be unprecedented so who knows, but anything less than that and they probably don’t even consider it.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=J14&form1_wins=%3E10

The best record from J14 since WW2 is 12-3 and that got somewhere between J2w and J4w. By the numbers then, an extra 3 wins would be right on the line of the bottom of Makuuchi or top of Juryo but so much would depend on how many other people are going up/down and I don’t know if they’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Robviously posted:

I'm hoping for a week 2 bounce but otherwise I guess :regd08:

You and me both, Daiesho is disappointing me heavily. 6:1 from M1 is a pretty poor start.

Elissimpark posted:

Tochi's 6'4" as well, doesn't look it because his upper body is usually so massive.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 10, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My dudes started doing better but I had two 4-point days and I still got Ishiura ready to disappoint at a moment's notice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Fair play to Tobizaru, it was his first time up against the man who is the very apex of sumo. Imagine growing up and having intentions of high level sumo and The Guy is who you're up against next. He knew he was getting punted no matter what and he tried to think his way out of the loss and he still got creamed as if he had no idea of what he was doing. He'll gain a lot of confidence from that loss I imagine.

I think part of it is that there was this perception before the basho that Old Man Hakuho was washed up and just too stubborn to retire, and that he'd just be going out to fire a couple shots for the honor of the flag before going kyujo again.

I think it's quite possible that Tobizaru never actually expected Hakuho to stay in the basho long enough to fight him, only to have a past-his-prime Hakuho methodically dismantle everybody down from komusubi down to his place at maegashira 3 west.

Liquid Communism posted:

You and me both, Daiesho is disappointing me heavily. 6:1 from M1 is a pretty poor start.

Tochi's 6'4" as well, doesn't look it because his upper body is usually so massive.

Here's the July banzuke by height: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&n_basho=1&showheight=on&form1_year=2021&form1_month=7&form1_m=on&sort_by=height

Okinoumi, Terunofuji, Hakuho, Ichinojo, Tochinoshin, Kagayaki, and Kaisei are all 191cm or higher, with Hak at 192.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 10, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

I had him my first basho when he was M1 or K or something like that, and he totally poo poo the bed. I dropped him for my second, he was a monster. Back up in top rank again, again he poo poo the bed. I'm starting to think of picking him when he's in the M10 slot or whatever but he never seals the deal at the top

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Trading Daieisho for Ichinojo. I was hoping he'd turn things around after clearing the upper sanyaku, but it doesn't look like he will.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Fair play to Tobizaru, it was his first time up against the man who is the very apex of sumo.
It was his first time up against any yokozuna, period! And Tobizaru clearly loves being able to hang out in makuuchi and getting to wrassle with the big boys (see: his frequent grins even after a loss), so I'm not surprised he wanted to make the most of his time in the ring with Hakuho. He probably figured he didn't stand a chance anyway, so what did he have to lose by trying something, uh...unconventional? Fantastic bout. :allears:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hakuho reminds me of LeBron where he's just crazy strong and mobile for his giant size.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

TEAM HOT BOIS!
TEAM HOT BOIS!!
TEAM HOT BOIS!!!

Wish I'd thought of this

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My refusal to change my team is having a weird effect right now because I would otherwise trade Mitakeumi for Takayasu out of arbitrary dislike for Mitakeumi but he's one of my only two guys doing well. My hope of staying in the top division is on the shoulders of my least favorite san'yaku regular now that Asanoyama is in horny jail.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My team is doing a suck but somehow I ended up with Hakuho so he's pulling things along I guess. I can't think of any better rikishi to trade for, and even if I did I'm pretty sure they'd all immediately start to tank so I'll stay the course with Chiyo and AOIYAMA. Not that Wakatakage or Tobizaru are having an outstanding basho either.

At the same time I COULD be doing a LOT worse so I guess I'll be OK.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can I trade wakatakakage for Takayasu? Theyr in the same rank right? If not never mind

I love the furry eggman too much

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Kenning posted:

All registered for Day 8.

posted this on the last page but :

can i trade Myogiryu for someone? Tamawashi maybe ? I'll honestly take anyone else besides Myogiryu

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Terutsuyohsi is having such an awful time of it. There's basically no spark to his sumo and he seems to really struggle to change levels the way he normally does. :smith:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochinoshin is just absolutely built in that clip. Just startlingly better upper body musculature than most rikishi.
It used to be a lot more common, before the modern era. Here's Chiyonofuji in his prime:

...and my favorite (handsome) undeservedly-never-got-a-yusho guy, Terao:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Speaking of Terao, did anyone also watching the live stream catch the conversation between him and Kakuryu? It sounded like Kak was going to assist at Terao's heya because his late oyakata was Terao's brother.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can outsiders sponsor a rikishi's ceremonial mawashi?

I would love for goons to sponsor Abi's mawashi for when he returns to makuuchi. A hostess bar or soapland ad would be great.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Can outsiders sponsor a rikishi's ceremonial mawashi?

I would love for goons to sponsor Abi's mawashi for when he returns to makuuchi. A hostess bar or soapland ad would be great.

The kesho mawashi are... not cheap. Harumafuji had a set (him, sword guy and dew sweeper) where each one was close to $100k.

However, for a few hundred you could get one of the kesho banners the yobidashi parade around the start of matches.

Edit: a cheap kesho mawashi is about ¥1M, while the Hamfu set I mentioned was about ¥30-40M. In fairness, it contained actual gold thread...

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 11, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Trading Daieisho for Ichinojo. I was hoping he'd turn things around after clearing the upper sanyaku, but it doesn't look like he will.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Can I trade wakatakakage for Takayasu? Theyr in the same rank right? If not never mind

I love the furry eggman too much

KungFu Grip posted:

posted this on the last page but :

can i trade Myogiryu for someone? Tamawashi maybe ? I'll honestly take anyone else besides Myogiryu

All registered for Day 8. Trading closed!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apraxin posted:

It used to be a lot more common, before the modern era. Here's Chiyonofuji in his prime:

Does the JSA drug test? This honestly looks like he was on that Dragon Gate diet.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Elissimpark posted:

However, for a few hundred you could get one of the kesho banners the yobidashi parade around the start of matches.

Lets say a bunch of wiseasses buy one, can you put what you want on it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Lets say a bunch of wiseasses buy one, can you put what you want on it?

I presume someone somewhere vetos them, but as long as it's TV friendly, I guess you're good to go.

Paul McCartney once bought a crapload to advertise one of his albums.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

harperdc posted:

Does the JSA drug test? This honestly looks like he was on that Dragon Gate diet.

During the early years of mma, the contract for fighters in Japan informed them that they would be tested for all recreational drugs and specifically NOT steroids.

Sumo schedules are so insane that honestly they have to be on steroids for the recovery benefits alone. If there are any rikishi in the top division and juryo not on steroids they're doing themselves a disservice for performance and health reasons.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

harperdc posted:

Nope, look at the traps of literally everyone in Hakuho's heya.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No way Tochi and Teru weren't/aren't on something when they made their charge back up to Ozeki. Damaged knees don't just hold up like that without some help.

And again, with how archaic the injury system is in sumo, might as well make the most out of that. I foresee some Kobe Bryant/Lance Armstrong blood oxygen-related poo poo being uncovered in the future.

Elissimpark posted:

I presume someone somewhere vetos them, but as long as it's TV friendly, I guess you're good to go.

What's an infamous massage parlor in the US? I think we could sneak that by when Abi/Asanoyama get back to makuuchi :lol:

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 11, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also with the pretence that the sport and the rikishi are perfect paragons of righteousness the mere testing for a banned substance would be an insult. do you question my honour?! also the old men could really do without having to explain why literally all of their wrestlers are 'cheating'. best to just never ask or address it at all. better that than having to have 2 bashos a year because any more and the stars of the sport would have their bodies fall apart within that same year and retire simultaneously.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
How dare you imply the sport with direct ties to yakuza may in any way involve illegal drug activity and corruption?

Lid posted:

Nope, look at the traps of literally everyone in Hakuho's heya.

Screw you, me!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Everybody's put their eight days in now, and it's looking more and more likely we'll see a Hakuho-Terunofuji finale :getin:
It would be amazing to see Terunofuji get the rope by knocking Hakuho off his perch. A fairy tale.

Daiesho needs to try a different gimmick, his abi-style slap-happy shtick has been found out by everyone and he's a sitting duck. It's too easy for opponents to just backtrack and sidestep him out. 1-7 says it all.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Marching Powder posted:

A feature of participating in a sanctioned fight is the anxiety. Between 24 and 48 hours before go time it occupies your waking mind and most of what should be your sleeping mind. In the hours before the anxiety reaches new heights. You may vomit. You start tinking of plausible excuses to run away. Eventually you make the walk, the bell goes, and it all melts away.

The last bit absolutely did not happen to Tobizaru.

You also have the fighter whose mind isn't occupied. Who has no anxiety. Who doesn't vomit. Who doesn't think about running away. I've heard of one of my favorite amateur fighters that can even take a nap before a fight.

These people are incredibly rare but they do exist. The kind of person who doesn't have that pent up energy before a fight, negative or positive. A person who just is and then when the bell rings they come out swinging. The lack of nerves is a serious advantage and I rightly fear and respect the kind of person who can be calm under pressure like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ice Phisherman posted:

You also have the fighter whose mind isn't occupied. Who has no anxiety. Who doesn't vomit. Who doesn't think about running away. I've heard of one of my favorite amateur fighters that can even take a nap before a fight.

These people are incredibly rare but they do exist. The kind of person who doesn't have that pent up energy before a fight, negative or positive. A person who just is and then when the bell rings they come out swinging. The lack of nerves is a serious advantage and I rightly fear and respect the kind of person who can be calm under pressure like that.

For similar reasons, political instability in North Caucasus regions like the Chechen Republic have probably also played a role. As noted trainer Mike Winkeljohn explained recently, he wasn’t sure what to make of it the first time he cornered Chechen fighter [Adlan] Amagov for a UFC bout. In the locker room before the fight, Amagov was so relaxed he looked nearly catatonic, Winkeljohn told MMAjunkie.

“I asked if he was always like this before a fight, if this was normal for him,” Winkeljohn said. “He said [via a translator], ‘I lived in a tent for seven years with Russians shooting at us from helicopters. In the cage, it’s just a man.’