Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
SLO vs Tonopah how does this require thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 18, 2022

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
SLO is very tempting, but I wouldn't touch nuclear power again with a 10 foot clown pole. Besides which its rotating shift work, the job posting mentions traveling there and back up to 3 times at your own expense for interviews/testing/physical with no reimbursement, no guarantee of getting hired and no relocation bonus. Pay would have to be significantly above scale to be worth considering.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://news.usni.org/2021/06/29/ho..._eid=873b9e6d60

I get why congress wanted to buy the LCS, but why do they care if the Navy tries to get rid of some of them? Who in congress is doing this? What blood is being extracted from RENK for their combining gears?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

scripterror posted:

SLO is very tempting, but I wouldn't touch nuclear power again with a 10 foot clown pole. Besides which its rotating shift work, the job posting mentions traveling there and back up to 3 times at your own expense for interviews/testing/physical with no reimbursement, no guarantee of getting hired and no relocation bonus. Pay would have to be significantly above scale to be worth considering.

That's a bunch of bullshit. Southern Company just did a phone interview with me for unlicensed operator. And for the licensed positions they were willing to pay for plane, hotel, and rental car for the interviews and testing. As far as rotating shift work, I love it. Getting 7 days off in a row every 5 weeks loving rocks. But it's not for everyone, and you do have to find the right plant/company.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

scripterror posted:

I really recommend getting into data centers. You can get a lot of the fringe benefits that these big software companies provide mainly to entice SWEs, the work environment is usually better, the type of shift work that is required is typically less demanding, and all in all it is a better deal. The income ceiling might be lower, which is unfortunate, but the quality of life is much, much higher.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I really recommend getting into data centers. You can get a lot of the fringe benefits that these big software companies provide mainly to entice SWEs, the work environment is usually better, the type of shift work that is required is typically less demanding, and all in all it is a better deal. The income ceiling might be lower, which is unfortunate, but the quality of life is much, much higher.

Preach, friend. Been working for AWS for a few years now. There's a fair amount of annoying bullshit to put up with but I'd take this over the Navy any day of the week.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

scripterror posted:

Preach, friend. Been working for AWS for a few years now. There's a fair amount of annoying bullshit to put up with but I'd take this over the Navy any day of the week.

I bet that skyrocketing Amazon stock is treating you pretty nice this last year or so!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Some people just love that rotating shift schedule and like to brag about their week off. Switching from nights to days on a weekly basis is just dumb and extremely bad for you so I don't get it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I was searching through /r/veterans for a unrelated benefits thing, but enjoy this retired HMC realizing that after double tapping the NCLEX and failing out of nursing school they're going to have to actually work at something since they spent 20 years apparently with their thumb up their rear end and have zero certs or skills.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Veterans/comments/mq23tj/any_navy_corpsman_chiefs_veteran_having/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I was searching through /r/veterans for a unrelated benefits thing, but enjoy this retired HMC realizing that after double tapping the NCLEX and failing out of nursing school they're going to have to actually work at something since they spent 20 years apparently with their thumb up their rear end and have zero certs or skills.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Veterans/comments/mq23tj/any_navy_corpsman_chiefs_veteran_having/

His comment that his GI Bill benefit was given to his kids in the divorce settlement really, really strikes me as very odd.

My work community doesn't tend to hire people who retired from the Navy, mostly because those that stay in either stayed in because they lacked the ability to make it outside the Navy, or they enjoyed Navy "Culture", both things being pretty big drawbacks.

I remember my last LPO, a gold first in the Nuke world, an ET1 at NRMD. He was pretty limited in skills and training and whatnot, got out, then went to work for the shipyard immediately and got fired within 18 months or so because he thought he could still talk to people like he was on the boat. Guess he had a meltdown on someone who didn't do things exactly the way he wanted them to do, the guy immediately told his supervisor, and ET1 got fired the same day. Shits wild. Even more wild is that I only know this because he shared it on Facebook.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

IncredibleIgloo posted:

His comment that his GI Bill benefit was given to his kids in the divorce settlement really, really strikes me as very odd.

My work community doesn't tend to hire people who retired from the Navy, mostly because those that stay in either stayed in because they lacked the ability to make it outside the Navy, or they enjoyed Navy "Culture", both things being pretty big drawbacks.

I remember my last LPO, a gold first in the Nuke world, an ET1 at NRMD. He was pretty limited in skills and training and whatnot, got out, then went to work for the shipyard immediately and got fired within 18 months or so because he thought he could still talk to people like he was on the boat. Guess he had a meltdown on someone who didn't do things exactly the way he wanted them to do, the guy immediately told his supervisor, and ET1 got fired the same day. Shits wild. Even more wild is that I only know this because he shared it on Facebook.

Most of the nukes I know that stuck around were fuggin idiots who had 0 initiative or aspirations. There were a couple competent stand-outs, but I could count them on one hand. Almost everyone that was good now works GE or some civilian plant

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

They say they have an (associates) degree in nursing, so uh just study harder for your licensing exam???
sucks to suck

Probably got it from a crappy school or 15 years ago for an eval bullet or both.

I don't understand the mentality these guys have, like they're expecting to walk into a job. I left after ten, had a bachelor's, was working on my masters, had half a dozen us maps certs (lol) MTS, was collecting IT certs like baseball cards, and used good Ole nepotism to get a job.

My brother ignored all of my advice and has been out for 3 months with no job after I got him an interview.

Like you can set yourself up but good jobs don't fall from the sky.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's the opposite in the OS world, it felt like. Because of the high stress nature of the job (in most cases) it had a high turnover rate. That's why it was so easy to get 2nd class. 1st class was a totally different animal and took forever. The ones who stayed usually had an incredible breadth of knowledge about operations in CIC amd beyond. I only ever met 1 truly idiotic chief, my superior at FACSFAC NI. We would find the worst sort of busywork for him to do to keep him out of our hair.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I’ve been in the yards for a few years and I can’t even tell you the number of retired Navy guys that come in thinking they can get away with the same way they treated others here before reality checks them. I especially love the fresh retirees who talk poo poo to me and my coworkers because we got out after our first contract when it’s very clear they don’t know how to even remotely handle life as a civilian.

We’ve also had a lot come into work some morning after being here a month or so telling us how they’re now getting a divorce. My first thought is how their wives can’t actually stand them but could tolerate them in the past because they were never home. I’ve never been wrong.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

Probably got it from a crappy school or 15 years ago for an eval bullet or both.

I don't understand the mentality these guys have, like they're expecting to walk into a job. I left after ten, had a bachelor's, was working on my masters, had half a dozen us maps certs (lol) MTS, was collecting IT certs like baseball cards, and used good Ole nepotism to get a job.

My brother ignored all of my advice and has been out for 3 months with no job after I got him an interview.

I got out at 10, got my bachelor's and have been just barely surviving for most of the time I've been out with some brief dips into houselessness. The big difference is that I always assumed no respectable person respects your enlistment lol

imo, Good on them for holding out for whatever they consider a "good" job. I've never had that kind of self-respect (or luxury of waiting for something better) and always just accepted any job I've been offered.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

Didn't you hear? The economy is doing great...wages are up, everybody is hiring, we're adding X jobs every month!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

imo, Good on them for holding out for whatever they consider a "good" job. I've never had that kind of self-respect (or luxury of waiting for something better) and always just accepted any job I've been offered.

If youre referring to my brother, he is not holding out lol. He just assumed people would be falling all over themselves to hire a CIWS tech.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 18, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

If youre referring to my brother, he is not holding out lol. He just assumed people would be falling all over themselves to hire a CIWS tech.

Being an FC is really useful at multi-disciplinary engineering trivia nights?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Anita Dickinme posted:

We’ve also had a lot come into work some morning after being here a month or so telling us how they’re now getting a divorce. My first thought is how their wives can’t actually stand them but could tolerate them in the past because they were never home. I’ve never been wrong.

My Navy Wife agrees.

Not like that, jeez. She's heard it from other Navy wives: "He's great, in small doses. We work best when mostly apart." Truckers' wives are apparently the same way.

My wife and I have been together with me as a civilian for longer than I was active. She still tolerates the BS, but only for a weekend every month and two (or three) weeks a year. And for the same reasons I do: TSP and Tricare. Not great by any means, but absolutely the best value for the money.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My Navy Wife agrees.

Not like that, jeez. She's heard it from other Navy wives: "He's great, in small doses. We work best when mostly apart." Truckers' wives are apparently the same way.

My wife and I have been together with me as a civilian for longer than I was active. She still tolerates the BS, but only for a weekend every month and two (or three) weeks a year. And for the same reasons I do: TSP and Tricare. Not great by any means, but absolutely the best value for the money.

Yeah I was married 15 years before I even joined. Been 6 years now with me gone half the time and it's been good enough because the stability Tricare offers for the price is amazing. 1k catastrophic cap. loving wow if you got kids with various issues.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It really helps that my wife was also Navy, we can put up with each others bullshit. We met after I'd already gotten out and In spent 5 years as a Navy Husband. Now there's a community of assholes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My Navy Wife agrees.

It’s the same with merchant marine’s wives, for the record.

My favorite was the guy who put everything in his wife’s name to avoid taxes - she was First Nation - and as soon as he stopped sailing she dumped his rear end.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

It’s the same with merchant marine’s wives, for the record.

My favorite was the guy who put everything in his wife’s name to avoid taxes - she was First Nation - and as soon as he stopped sailing she dumped his rear end.

I worked with a chief that took a $1.5kk pension buyout when he retired. With 2 years he was getting divorced and had blown through most of it to prevent his wife from getting anything.

Or the MLL chief that put in his papers and his wife decided it was time so he put a note saying chief dead in shop on the alarm screen and sucked down on bottle of nitrogen on his last trip.

That poo poo is way too common.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Or the MLL chief that put in his papers and his wife decided it was time so he put a note saying chief dead in shop on the alarm screen and sucked down on bottle of nitrogen on his last trip.

That poo poo is way too common.

:allbuttons:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I have been on PCS leave (well, 8 days travel and 4 days proceed time also) for 30 days. I can have 18 more days. I think I'm gonna take it all. I'll need it to shed the weight I've gained from not giving a gently caress for an entire month.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

I have been on PCS leave (well, 8 days travel and 4 days proceed time also) for 30 days. I can have 18 more days. I think I'm gonna take it all. I'll need it to shed the weight I've gained from not giving a gently caress for an entire month.

It's a weird feeling when you take enough leave to forget why money keeps appearing in your account.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

48 days. The concept of work is on the horizon.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Got a call at 2200 last night from CSOOW who was one of my techs. Aft Lookout reports that the Salvo Warning Alarm for the Harpoon launcher just went off for a few seconds. They heard it on the bridge. The Captain heard it on the bridge.

So I go up to CIC. I go to the WCIP, the control console for Harpoon. It's right next to this other console that some OS is standing watch at. His U/I is sitting at my harpoon console. With his loving feet propped up on the loving salvo warning alarm switch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Thank goodness for problems with easy solutions, at least.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Got a call at 2200 last night from CSOOW who was one of my techs. Aft Lookout reports that the Salvo Warning Alarm for the Harpoon launcher just went off for a few seconds. They heard it on the bridge. The Captain heard it on the bridge.

So I go up to CIC. I go to the WCIP, the control console for Harpoon. It's right next to this other console that some OS is standing watch at. His U/I is sitting at my harpoon console. With his loving feet propped up on the loving salvo warning alarm switch.

At least he wasn't disassembling the WCIP.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

At least he wasn't disassembling the WCIP.

Of course not, he was on watch!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Dont leave us hanging, what'd you do? Smoke his rear end? Pretend like there was an actual emergency while pointing the skipper to his underlings feet? Call in the XO to help analyze the issue?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Dont leave us hanging, what'd you do? Smoke his rear end? Pretend like there was an actual emergency while pointing the skipper to his underlings feet? Call in the XO to help analyze the issue?

Moved the U/I to his own watch, then disassembled him.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Moved the U/I to his own watch, then disassembled him.

:golfclap:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/1417523178830708736?s=19

gently caress you if you're still in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why do they have ecrofriA girls upselling the yvaN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That song slapped.