Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Looks like Caliente is getting pretty uh hmm what's the word...

E: I don't regret this snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

meanwhile, in Austin, TX

quote:

The first 9 days of July 2021 rank as one of the coolest starts for average high temperatures in recorded history at Camp Mabry in Austin.

85.4º (1976)
86.8º (1942)
87.8º (2007)
88.3º (2002)
88.8º (1981)
89.1º (1985)
89.4º (1968)
89.44º (2021)

global warming, you say? :smug:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gay_crimes posted:

meanwhile, in Austin, TX

global warming, you say? :smug:

Really worried about how exactly climate change is going to gently caress us! I feel like its going to be a flood. I'm just outside a '1000 year' flood plain on the FEMA maps so I'm assuming it will be that.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

TehSaurus posted:

Really worried about how exactly climate change is going to gently caress us! I feel like its going to be a flood. I'm just outside a '1000 year' flood plain on the FEMA maps so I'm assuming it will be that.

Funny you should say that since Austin is already at the 5th spot record for most rainfall locally for the month of July already.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SirPablo posted:

Amazing, my upstairs AC ran for 16.5 hours yesterday. Guess it could be worse.

that doesn't sound all that bad, yet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nwsvegas/status/1414032481372626944?s=21

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

i mean, it is called Death Valley

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

AppleNippleBOB posted:

i mean, it is called Death Valley

Yeah but soon death valley is going to start expanding like the anomaly in annihilation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Please shut the overton window, our world is dying

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Yeah but soon death valley is going to start expanding like the anomaly in annihilation

great movie

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When does lake mead go so low that the hoover can't generate electricity anymore?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

When does lake mead go so low that the hoover can't generate electricity anymore?

this or next august depending

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Death Ultrakill Valley

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Have we invented the Still suits from Dune? I feel that should be a priority.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nwsvegas/status/1414089406407843843?s=21

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Have we invented the Still suits from Dune? I feel that should be a priority.

You can drink your own piss right now for free.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

1050'

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/nature/storage-capacity-of-lake-mead.htm

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

Lake Mead level continues to drop, affecting power production

Right around the corner!

"The two-decade drought has pushed the lake to an elevation of 1068.5 feet as of Monday."

Real hurthling! posted:

this or next august depending

"In August, a federal water shortage declaration is expected, which would trigger automatic cuts in water usage in several southwestern states."

now entering: the cool zone

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Sooner or later some politician is going to :smug: about the idea of dropping more water into that reservoir using water bombers.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I fully expect a water pipeline to be built in my lifetime from the Ohio River Valley to the Southwest.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
mad max was supposed to be in australia not north america

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SirPablo posted:

I fully expect a water pipeline to be built in my lifetime from the Ohio River Valley to the Southwest.

how inefficient

it'll be a pipeline from the Mississippi inlets west of Iowa to the Southwest and then they'll pipe the Great Lakes into the Mississippi to keep flow up

well, if they're sensible

otherwise the Great Lakes pipe'll be later after everything's gotten way more hosed

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

mad max was supposed to be in australia not north america

I thought the subtext for Mad Max is that America had already gone full Hellworld and Australia just hadn't gone Hellworld *yet*.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SirPablo posted:

realistically it'd be desalination plants getting built out along the texas gulf coast and then piping it west from there

they're supposed to be building out desal all over the california coast, but i'm p sure all but like one of those were delayed indefinitely

but yeah the gulf coast is already seen as a "working coast" - there's already a shitload of oil rigs there - and texas is more than happy to go all gently caress the environment, plus west texas is already running outta water

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the first mad max is like australia is falling apart post calamity in the northern hemisphere or something like that cause they didnt have the budget to do anything but rent shabby outback gas stations as sets.

the second movie is after whatever calamity has ruined the environment in the whole world cause they could afford to send the crew into a desert for a long shoot

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

how inefficient

it'll be a pipeline from the Mississippi inlets west of Iowa to the Southwest and then they'll pipe the Great Lakes into the Mississippi to keep flow up

well, if they're sensible

otherwise the Great Lakes pipe'll be later after everything's gotten way more hosed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

most unrealistic thing about this is that water is shown going to mexico

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

realistically it'd be desalination plants getting built out along the texas gulf coast and then piping it west from there

If there were desalinization plants on the Gulf coast:

1) That water would be used for fracking long before it reached the Southwest,
2) https://www.wired.com/story/desalination-is-booming-but-what-about-all-that-toxic-brine/

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bedpan posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bedpan posted:

all the big 3 auto factories that were moved to Mexico after NAFTA need water

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If there were desalinization plants on the Gulf coast:

1) That water would be used for fracking long before it reached the Southwest,
2) https://www.wired.com/story/desalination-is-booming-but-what-about-all-that-toxic-brine/

they don't need fresh water for fracking, and in fact the wastewater you're left with afterward is frequently briny as hell and sometimes even radioactive

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Desal plants are already going up in Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. They'll happily sell water to the US.

And I said the Ohio River Valley because it is flooding with increasing frequency with climate change. There's a lot of extra water in that basin. They'd be smart to cash in on the economic benefits of exporting water.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
mexican water? pshaw why not just pipe the finest mississippi river water over to our thirstiest states

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm imagining having to drink the fraser river now and that would immediately drop BC's tap water quality from "loving excellent" to "probably deadly even after boiling"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
new orleans gets their municipal water from the mississippi, part of the treatment process uses ammonia

this is actually a really common method of water purification

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Meanwhile, here in Northern Virginia, people bitch and moan if/when Fairfax Water does their periodic flushing of the pipes with Chloramine.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SirPablo posted:

I fully believe that someone may begin construction on that pipeline but there's no way it's ever completed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I fully believe that someone may begin construction on that pipeline but there's no way it's ever completed

the Great Lakes Avengers become pipeline bombers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Would a water pipeline be protested like an oil pipeline?