Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my neighbor's dog Pepper visited again, this dog is chill as gently caress lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

We use a muzzle with a poop guard because we can't find a cone that works.

Ah that’s right! I need to buy one of those guards to fit our muzzle.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He ended up hating the soft cone too so we just used his old muzzle :shrug: he settled down right away

Spartacus is doing much better today. He's eaten a few times, drank water, and went to the bathroom. He had a few small accidents but nothing major, more like minor leakyness which is understandable given half his insides got scrambled.

He's still really wobbly but less so than yesterday, and not nearly so zonked. He's sleeping most of the time, but also: greyhound.

He heard my spouse getting ready for a walk with our other dog and he got excited and tried to come with, so he's obviously feeling ok

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

He ended up hating the soft cone too so we just used his old muzzle :shrug: he settled down right away

Spartacus is doing much better today. He's eaten a few times, drank water, and went to the bathroom. He had a few small accidents but nothing major, more like minor leakyness which is understandable given half his insides got scrambled.

He's still really wobbly but less so than yesterday, and not nearly so zonked. He's sleeping most of the time, but also: greyhound.

He heard my spouse getting ready for a walk with our other dog and he got excited and tried to come with, so he's obviously feeling ok

Yeah, we don't ever bother with a cone for Gello or Boudicca. The one time we put a cone on Gello, she refused to lie down and stood whining until we took it off.

So glad to hear Sparty's feeling better. Eating is always a good sign.

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor's dog Pepper visited again, this dog is chill as gently caress lol

I love how Abby's like "stay the gently caress away from my blankie"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wrong thread!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 4, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie was a Very Good Girl yesterday

(That mess was not her doing)

We went a Fourth of July get together. New place, lots of people she had never met before (including kids), a few dogs, plus random fireworks going off adding to the chaos. Everyone said she was very well behaved and people were surprised by how soft she is. So far she hasn’t had any stomach problems from getting some weird food (it was a seafood boil; she got a few sausage pieces and she stole a red potato). She also got some ice cream. She seemed to get along well with the Australian Shepard although we mainly kept them apart. There was a little Terrier who Katie was for some reason super interested in (I wonder if she reminded her of Lucy) but who was NOT interested in meeting Katie. The fireworks didn’t seem to bother her very much, although when the people there started setting off smaller zippy things she wasn’t very happy. However she was done at that point since hadn’t really been able to sleep the 6+ hours we were there. We left before the main fireworks started.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Good girl Katie!

I love how 6 hours without a nap is EXHAUSTING

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I almost wonder if she’s sick or something, this was far as we got on our after-lunch “walk.” I tried waiting her out for like 20 minutes but nope. The temperature wasn’t bad today either.

I wonder if she’s feeling bad because she hasn’t been allowed to run in quite a while.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Your greyhound is working as intended.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Your greyhound is working as intended.

I always wonder about those “is your dog lethargic?” symptoms because, well, stuff like this. Hopefully she’ll want to do a longer walk in the evening because she’s gotten like zero exercise today.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If she seems like her regular self around the house and is eating drinking and pooping as usual, being lazy in summer is pretty much standard greyhound

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
She just went ballistic with indoor zoomies and throwing toys around so she’s fine. Even more dangerous than normal with all the moving boxes everywhere. I’m glad to see her happy; I haven’t seen her play for a while.

Sorry Kate!!! You’re not allowed to do a proper run quite yet!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

She just went ballistic with indoor zoomies and throwing toys around so she’s fine. Even more dangerous than normal with all the moving boxes everywhere. I’m glad to see her happy; I haven’t seen her play for a while.

Sorry Kate!!! You’re not allowed to do a proper run quite yet!!

Is greyhound

Spartacus is continuing to improve! He got indoor zoomies last night and played more than I've seen him do in months (including nibbling the poo poo out of me and my spouse I'm excitement). He's also back to being his shithead self, raiding the trash can (which he hasn't done for years) and generally being a nuisance.

It makes me so happy seeing him get back to normal. No word yet on biopsy so I'm just trying to enjoy these moments while they last.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yay Sparty, you glorious doofus :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had Abby on Dasaquin for a while, but stopped after it become unavailable for awhile online. I'm not sure if I should start it again, I'm feeling pretty guilty, but it doesn't seem like being off it has much effect. The way I think of it is the gabapentin gives much more benefit - she can get up whenever without assistance. It takes her a bit of effort to lie down, but it's been like that for a while.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For the first time Abby did not show any interest in pb or treats, just now :smith:

edit: this is scary :|

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 10, 2021

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Sparty! :toot:

Abby :smith:

It's not a zero-sum game guys! Just all of you get better and give us love and joy for years to come. For serious.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bad news guys, she is still not eating or drinking anything, and her breathing is very labored and abnormal. She has a lot of trouble walking. I just talked to a vet at a place that does in-home euthanasia - she is going to come by either tonight or tomorrow. She will do an evaluation of course first, but she asked about her gums, which are a pretty light pink, which to her indicated there may be an issue related to blood pressure or some other things.

I told her about Abby's medical conditions, and she said given her age the nerve problems that she is being treated for might also be a factor.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Josie and I are sending so much love your way!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aw man :sympathy: Im so sorry Abby isn’t doing too great. It’s good that she’s getting looked after in her own home so that either way she’ll have the minimum of distress

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Bad news guys, she is still not eating or drinking anything, and her breathing is very labored and abnormal. She has a lot of trouble walking. I just talked to a vet at a place that does in-home euthanasia - she is going to come by either tonight or tomorrow. She will do an evaluation of course first, but she asked about her gums, which are a pretty light pink, which to her indicated there may be an issue related to blood pressure or some other things.

I told her about Abby's medical conditions, and she said given her age the nerve problems that she is being treated for might also be a factor.

Getting in-home euthanasia was the perfect choice for my childhood pup and what we're going to try to do if/when Spartacus and cookie have to leave us. If we had any regrets it was worrying we waited too long.

I hope it's not Abby's time yet but if it is you have our love and support. I was literally just there with Spartacus and I'm so, so sorry you have to deal with it now :smith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so sorry. Sending you and Abby lots of love.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I am so sorry about Abby. Thinking about you both today.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thank you everyone. She did some more vomiting (which I suppose is a good sign), but she did drink a lot of water after that too which is nice. Needless to say I'm cleaning a lot of towels today. She is now resting on another bed, which I basically had to carry her to and help her lie down on - her legs just don't want to cooperate. No eating still, and still not reacting to stimuli at all. I have had a few people come by to pet her which has been nice.

It's so difficult, more difficult than anything I've ever experienced, but this year has just been so stressful for me everyday, and I know part of me will find relief when she is gone - relief that she is no longer in pain, and relief from the day to day constant anxiety that becoming her "caretaker" has involved. I'm really happy that the gabapentin bought us a few months where she was able to get up on her own and do her business without assistance, but I can't deny that life has still been difficult for her.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a pic from the day I adopted her, right before her foster brought her over (she's in the middle)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

here's a pic from the day I adopted her, right before her foster brought her over (she's in the middle)

What a good noodle :kimchi:

I'm sorry you're both going through this but I'm glad you got a little extra time together :unsmith:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Goofy girl. Veeeeeery focused on that treat

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ugh, she's thrown up some more, man this day really blows

Abby is a part of me, I don't what I'll do without her. She's the best decision I ever made.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when I first got her I had one of my first pics of her added to her greyhound data page lol

I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a greyhound sired by dodgem by design

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby just passed away naturally :smith:

Her breathing just continued to get slower and slower until it stopped

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know if there’s anything I can say to make this easier; it’s always horrible to lose a dear companion. She found a good home with you and I hope soon you can take some pride in giving her a wonderful life. It’s not fair that they can’t be with us forever.

May Abby of the Fabulous Ears forever chase squirrels in the sky :rip:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:sympathy:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

actionjackson, I'm so sorry.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm sorry action, Abby was a real sweetheart.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you everyone

it's just hard coming back home and she's not there. it's just not right. I'm still just in shock about what I went through.

here's one of my favorite photos, this was five years ago doing a "speed test"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I don’t know if there’s anything I can say to make this easier; it’s always horrible to lose a dear companion. She found a good home with you and I hope soon you can take some pride in giving her a wonderful life. It’s not fair that they can’t be with us forever.

May Abby of the Fabulous Ears forever chase squirrels in the sky :rip:

Nothing I can say will make it better but I wanted to second this

Edit: god that's an amazing photo :)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you

I had to transport her over to the nearby university's vet center myself, that was really tough :smith:

thankfully it was close by and my neighbor went with me

i completely lost it trying to figure out what I was going to do with her, as I did not expect things to happen this way, and other options weren't really available because it's the weekend.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m so sorry actionjackson. Thinking of you.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm very sorry for your loss. Abby was a lovely part of this thread, and that speed test photo is absolutely amazing. It's a good thing that she passed at home, where she was comfortable and loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im so sorry, abby was the sweetest girl. you gave her an amazing life and she was clearly a happy girl right up to the end.