Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corpus Smegma
May 18, 2009
Hey guys if I were going to buy an electronic drum kit for ps4 would the roll limitless allow me to hook it up? Just trying to find the easiest list to follow to get us drumming again. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

yep, if you're on PS4 a roll limitless and a MIDI cable is all you need.
and a PS4 controller to configure it

Highly suggest a kit with full midi out and not just USB-MIDI as well. The Alesis Nitro Mesh is probably the best bang for your buck.

http://rolllimitless.com/roll-limitless/

Corpus Smegma
May 18, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

yep, if you're on PS4 a roll limitless and a MIDI cable is all you need.
and a PS4 controller to configure it

Highly suggest a kit with full midi out and not just USB-MIDI as well. The Alesis Nitro Mesh is probably the best bang for your buck.

http://rolllimitless.com/roll-limitless/

Thank you!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
been home for the first time in a year and a half which means I get to play Rock Band 3 for the first time in a year and a half, and I finally am trying custom songs for the first time. I always thought you had to mod an Xbox, never realized it was just deleting a patch. Playing songs I never in a million years thought would be in Rock Band. there's everything from Bloc Party to LCD Soundsystem to Guerilla Toss to IDLES to basically 1/2 of the entire Genesis discography available, loving wild

that said: it's kinda hosed up that the customs DB deleted songs that made it into Rock Band 4 as official DLC. I can play every song on OK Computer but Karma Police. there's literally no world in which I ever play Rock Band 4 - like, what am I going to do, buy some billion dollar cable to hook up this decaying Ion Drum Kit to an Xbox Series X? - so can't say I feel like I'd be taking food off Harmonix's plate by downloading that one

like, it's weird to me because these are community-made charts that predate Harmonix making DLC, so the idea that Harmonix gets to take precedent by finally getting off their asses and paying for another license is weird. thankfully they will never have money for DLC I'd ever want to play ever again so I guess I don't really have to worry about this going forward

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i guess follow-up: how's that clone hero drum mode coming along? that seems like the only viable future for video game drumming because there will never be a company that puts up money for legitimate song licensing ever again

im realizing the stupidest thing about this karma police situation is that the customs DB has a bunch of songs ported from guitar hero games. those are games and dlc i could actually still buy and play with my current instruments! rock band 4 is not! why does it get special treatment! bah

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 25, 2021

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I think it’s more that the customs are a gray area (well, actually the illegal distribution of music) and they don’t want to get harmonix’s ire by putting out customs of stuff they’re selling

Harmonix hasn’t sent any lawyers after them and they’re allowed to co-exist but if they were straight up giving away stuff they were selling it’d probably be a bad scene

activision doesn’t give a poo poo about their old games they’re not selling them anymore or selling any dlc, it was all delisted

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

abraham linksys posted:

i guess follow-up: how's that clone hero drum mode coming along? that seems like the only viable future for video game drumming because there will never be a company that puts up money for legitimate song licensing ever again

im realizing the stupidest thing about this karma police situation is that the customs DB has a bunch of songs ported from guitar hero games. those are games and dlc i could actually still buy and play with my current instruments! rock band 4 is not! why does it get special treatment! bah

Check your PM

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
the unavailability of rb adapters is a huge bummer now. i lost my old adapter the apartment above mine flooded last year and now i have to just resign myself to never playing rb again.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hey 1/2 ain't bad

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/1409874354838687756

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Niiiiiice

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You can meet at the MS Store but you’d better come with CASH

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/1412411090240258052

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
drat, comfort eagle rules. Hell yeah.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How many people are still playing RB to justify more DLC

I don’t get it, wouldn’t it justify maybe another instrument run, or at least the adapter or something to make it playable on new gen

Even Rocksmith got a new version

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

because they can’t find a hardware manufacturer dumb enough to dump millions of dollars on an instrument run

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Kaboobi posted:

because they can’t find a hardware manufacturer dumb enough to dump millions of dollars on an instrument run

a limited run of rock band controllers seems like something that crowdfunding could work well for

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm honestly shocked someone doesn't have a 3D printed DIY plastic instruments tutorial

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

gtrmp posted:

a limited run of rock band controllers seems like something that crowdfunding could work well for

Rock Band and crowdfunding don't have the best track record.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

gtrmp posted:

Probably, but what’s the minimum run you’d need to order from the factory in China per console? And what’s the minimum order for Microsoft to give you a batch of their wireless chips? I’d love to see a bunch more instruments but even with crowdfunding they’d still be quite a bit more expensive than just grabbing one in the store used to be as well and I honestly don’t think the logistics are there. But I could be wrong!

Honestly getting a bunch of auth chips from Microsoft may be one of the biggest stumbling points.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

A PC port of a poorly-received sequel, which on top of that wouldn't actually let players carry over their existing song libraries, was never going to do well. The only way a PC port of Rock Band could have ever possibly succeeded outside of the genre's late-2000s heyday is if it were directly linked with the Microsoft store to allow users to access their libraries from the Xbox platform, which might not have been feasible anyways given how music licensing works. And even then, PC isn't exactly an ideal platform for a game that thrived at its peak via local co-op.

Barring an inexplicable nostalgia-based revival, Rock Band as a fake-plastic-instrument-based platform only has a future by catering to the already-existing fanbase. That fanbase is necessarily shrinking not even because the players have stopped playing out of their own volition, but because more and more of the player base no longer has working instruments and there are literally no replacements to be found. Economics of scale would necessarily mean that any hypothetical new batch of instruments would be have to be pricier than they ever were before; there aren't millions of hypothetical buyers, most likely not even hundreds of thousands. At that level, you have to ask if the average buyer is willing to pay possibly $200+ for each new Rock Band instrument by itself, and that's a question that might be best answered (for better or for worse) by a crowdfunding campaign.

I'm sure Harmonix is acutely aware of all this, but if they can't or won't get new instruments manufactured, then their only path forward is to simply hunker down and maintain the game on life support.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rock Band is exclusively a karaoke machine for me at this point. It was mostly that in the first place, but I at least used to bother with the actual plastic instrument part of the game on occasion and now I just... don't.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Or they could give me the new Karaoke Revolution standalone game I've always wanted. You don't need to make new mics.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
If I want to play Rock Band 4 pro drums series x with a alesis command mesh, do I just need the 360 midi adapter and my legacy adapter thing?

worms butthole guy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2021

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

360 midi adapter and the pdp wired legacy adapter yes

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Man, nobody doing Rivals any more, huh? My partner's kids wanted to see the drums so I dusted them off and did a few songs on easy in the current challenge and I'm usually the only one with a score. Or are RB drums just that gone?

(game still real good IMO)

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 19, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Change thread title to "the most expensive peripheral you'll have to buy is that goddamn adapter that costs thousands of dollars at this point"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Deathlove posted:

Man, nobody doing Rivals any more, huh? My partner's kids wanted to see the drums so I dusted them off and did a few songs on easy in the current challenge and I'm usually the only one with a score. Or are RB drums just that gone?

(game still real good IMO)

if you’re just joining the season now, almost all of the crews regularly playing have advanced to the top 3 tiers, nobody sitting at bronze now is actually active

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MOM JEANS. is coming to loving rock band and it's the best news i've heard all loving year. download this free pack and play the mom jeans song when it comes out, the band is so fun and the song rules.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

when they announced last week that this would be a week with a three pack of covers I was excited and then I remembered what they were licensing lately and guessed 2/3 of them and they're bad. alas.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What are they

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Fixins posted:

What are they

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/1447925077765410830

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The Blue Monday cover rules. Always has ruled.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i also really like the weezer cover of africa, but isn't toto's africa already in the game like i don't think i need another version of it

especially since weezer's cover is extremely faithful i feel like it's gonna be an identical chart

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I just got an Oculus, and I assume attempting to find a RB4 instrument in order to play Rock Band VR is a fruitless effort?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Deathlove posted:

The Blue Monday cover rules. Always has ruled.

it's the only good pick of the three because it tries to do something different from the original and we have all three of the originals in the game
edit: and tbh the new order one is a boring 8 minute slog on plastic instruments even though it's a good song

the teal album was garbage because they were just boring straight faithful covers and who gives a poo poo about fall out boy post 2006

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 12, 2021

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Brocktoon posted:

I just got an Oculus, and I assume attempting to find a RB4 instrument in order to play Rock Band VR is a fruitless effort?

no instruments have been made for 5 years because no company is stupid enough to make a production run on it at the moment. you can search through craigslist/facebook marketplace/good will but you won't find anything new

https://twitch.tv/videos/1169340583
1:04:13 is where they talked about it literally a week ago

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's a Rock Band VR??

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There's a Rock Band VR??

Nobody knows about it because it was an Oculus exclusive and will likely remain that way forever.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Nobody knows about it because it was an Oculus exclusive and will likely remain that way forever.

Wait, I have an Oculus.

But maybe the wrong kind (quest 2). drat it!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, I have an Oculus.

But maybe the wrong kind (quest 2). drat it!

oculus link works fine for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I heard it was bad though, was that true