Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Continuing with Minimum Security: An Ecocide Retrospective (May 4-8, 2010)

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

If the BCN strips look a little different going forward, there's a reason for that.

Breaking Cat News: Now 100% organic.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "113 - Jucika And The Charm Of The Ball"

"Jucikas Costume Carnival"

Busójárás

"In Hungary, it is known as 'Farsang', (or 'Busójárás' in older times) and involves a lot of festivities, including the wearing of masks and costumes."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I see Thompson was a Pepco customer.

F Minus

Mark Trail

You're right. It is unbelievable.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Hey, how about a story about the other kids or something?

Andertoons

Interview's not going well.

Apartment 3-G

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How are they going to catch Mark and co in the act? they finished and are leaving.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh, come on. It's 2021. You can have a three way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

No they loving can't, his mom isn't there!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

She's totally right - talking about this for days and days and days would be REALLY REALLY BORING.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

What happened to the story of those two kids in love - the woman with the overbearing witch of a mom?
Did they just drop that?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

You're right. It is unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4w4cdxSLB4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Swiftly jumping on the trend that lasted for like three weeks, in 2019.

The Family Circus

I feel seen.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was irritated that Jules can't write a heist story but now I'm laughing that perhaps she doesn't understand how reality itself works.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why do these strips exist? Who are they for?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

The author, who is a terrible piece of poo poo boomer. Thankfully it is likely that within the next decade the strip will have to end.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "113 - Jucika And The Charm Of The Ball"

"Jucikas Costume Carnival"

Busójárás

"In Hungary, it is known as 'Farsang', (or 'Busójárás' in older times) and involves a lot of festivities, including the wearing of masks and costumes."

lol the dancing feet on top of panel 1

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

"...bitch, I live here"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Horrible old men who hate their sons.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

But that would be a total cheat. Q and Z were used in fake phone numbers for fiction for exactly that reason. If that's the answer, it'd be exactly the same as if a character on a TV show looked at a phone number that's like 555-xxxx and saying "hey, that's not a real number, 555 numbers are the fake phone numbers that they use on TV shows!" even though they're actually on a drat TV show.

Sic sempre Encyclopedia Brown.

If my guess was right, and the phone number is made up, it's a real crappy frame job. Just lie about receiving the phone call. Don't add weird details like "The pignapper's dime ran out, so I had to call him back, with the phone number he gave me." and "My Dad traced the call."

Maybe in the short story version, Tom had to pretend to call the kidnappers back in front of a witness, called whoever is currently hiding both pigs, and lied about the phone number?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecFilUIs32E

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

Too-tikki has a far, far too vague definition of dangerous.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Edward the Booble's eye view of Tove Jansson

https://twitter.com/Fotosdecomics/status/1413907474952900615

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'd just like to belatedly note that making Rudy's father a philanderer in Kevin and Kel seems like an odd choice given that Vin is several older than Rudy. Absent other information, the more intuitive explanation would be that Vin either comes from a relationship that predates the one Rudy's father had with Kel, or that Kel herself was the other woman. Vin apparently being an orphan is also super grim and just makes the way the whole universe shits on him that much more unsettling.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 26, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 2, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 28, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 29, 1936)

Mopsy (March 30, 1937)

Up Front (May 11, 1944)

Dark Laughter (June 7, 1947)

“Well it wuz his own fault. He shouldn’a started all that Uncle Tom stuff while Bootsie wuz tryin’ to git the committee to pass a resolution on lynchin’. Bootsie excites real quick!”

Those Were the Days (April 8, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 19, 1965)

Dogbert February 9, 1966

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (July 13, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 9, 1938)

Out Our Way gives you next year's Christmas card. (December 24-26, 1936)

Dok's "I AM IN NO. FUCKIN'. MOOD." Duck (September 6, 1913)

Blondie From Zero (November 13-15, 1930)

And again I skip a few to wrap this up by midnight. Someday I'll get my poo poo together again, honest... :smith:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

EasyEW posted:

Continuing with Minimum Security: An Ecocide Retrospective (May 4-8, 2010)

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Comic Strips 2021: THE MATCH FACTORY

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

e: This is unrelated to any of my comics but I stumbled upon the syndication factsheet for Overboard, which is a hell of a read when you're already familiar with the comic. http://images.ucomics.com/images/uclick/pdfs/overboard_factsheet.pdf
e2: https://web.archive.org/web/20060702134700/http://cagle.msnbc.com/hogan/interviews/dunham.asp Honestly him being 'admittedly only an adequate draftsman' and not being into comics at all(in either newspaper or comic book format) growing up explains some things.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 11, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Some Guy TT posted:

I'd just like to belatedly note that making Rudy's father a philanderer in Kevin and Kel seems like an odd choice given that Vin is several older than Rudy. Absent other information, the more intuitive explanation would be that Vin either comes from a relationship that predates the one Rudy's father had with Kel, or that Kel herself was the other woman. Vin apparently being an orphan is also super grim and just makes the way the whole universe shits on him that much more unsettling.

You're likely correct in your analysis. This isn't really spoilers, but at this point in the strip Rudy's fourteen, while Vin is eighteen or nineteen -- four to five years older than Rudy. (Rudy's age has been said repeatedly, and Vin is one of the few characters in the strip who has a solid birth date, i.e. 1983.) The only possible explanation is Kell and Randy were married for a few years before they had Rudy, and meanwhile Randy was cheating on Kell.

As for Vin being an orphan... He has a stepdad apparently? I say apparently because it's mentioned in the strip that "his mother died, he never met his biological father, and he lives with his stepfather," but the stepfather himself is never mentioned again and doesn't even make an appearance.

Anyway!

Classic Kevin & Kell in: new research subjects (June 3-9, 2002)

Lindesfarne's research sounds ethically questionable at best, to be quite honest.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 11, 2021

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

This is real art, right here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Haifisch posted:

e2: https://web.archive.org/web/20060702134700/http://cagle.msnbc.com/hogan/interviews/dunham.asp Honestly him being 'admittedly only an adequate draftsman' and not being into comics at all(in either newspaper or comic book format) growing up explains some things.

1) I beg you to read this interview, it explains so much about Overboard.
2) Gocomics has Overboard going back to the beginning(August 1990, although comics being there or not is spotty until sometime in 1996) so guess what I'm posting now.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I had no idea Overboard was such a longrunning strip. Really odd to see it described as "nihilistic and black [humor]" in that interview when now it can come off as so saccharine and trite. Vintage Overboard should be interesting to see.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Bootsie kicks so much rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

You're likely correct in your analysis. This isn't really spoilers, but at this point in the strip Rudy's fourteen, while Vin is eighteen or nineteen -- four to five years older than Rudy. (Rudy's age has been said repeatedly, and Vin is one of the few characters in the strip who has a solid birth date, i.e. 1983.) The only possible explanation is Kell and Randy were married for a few years before they had Rudy, and meanwhile Randy was cheating on Kell.

Like, it works, but it's still needlessly convoluted. I think Holbrook thought this was necessary because otherwise Kel keeping this a secret from Rudy seems needlessly spiteful, and her moral purity needs to be maintained. Of course, given that our only confirmation for this story is Kell herself, it's entirely plausible she's just making it up to keep her from looking bad. I'm assuming for the sake of argument that Ghost Dad isn't actually a reliable source of information despite the fact that, as you have previously noted, ghosts in Kevin and Kel frequently have access to information the living characters couldn't possibly know.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

As for Vin being an orphan... He has a stepdad apparently? I say apparently because it's mentioned in the strip that "his mother died, he never met his biological father, and he lives with his stepfather," but the stepfather himself is never mentioned again and doesn't even make an appearance.

I highly doubt that Kell and Randy waited a few years before having Rudy. Literally every couple in K&K that got married had a baby ASAP. I'm just glad On the Fastrack's no longer posted because going by my logic, Dethany's gonna have a baby sooner or later.

And with how Holbrook loves to tie the family lines together, it makes me wonder if Holbrook will write an arc where Kell becomes a surrogate mother to Vin. That seems like the sort of plot beat he can't resist.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: new research subjects (June 3-9, 2002)

So what was even the point of the whole risky medical transplant? Vin didn't lose his entire tail. He had a little bit left that he could still wag, and the lack of length seemed to be the only reason people couldn't understand him. If he just needed fur to make his tail look long then it was pretty cruel to force a transplant on him from the guy whose guts he hated.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The simplest prosthetic would have done.