Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Phigs posted:

Anyone else played this co-op? Just played about 2 hours with my brother and I'm not sure it's a great co-op game. It jusdt feels like it's hard to work together so we end up doing our own thing and occasionally asking "hey what are you up to?" So I'm hoping someone has made it work in co-op and has some tips. If not I'm thinking we'd be better off playing solo.
I've played a lot of co-op. What my partner and I usually do is declare what project we're working on and then go do that (ex. I'm going to head out and set up a steel line). Having a second person be able to set up production lines and/or explore cuts out a lot of the tedium.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've never played co-op but it's neat to know it's there. I could see it being especially fun when just touring someone around your cool build.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah the main plus side of co-op is delegation. Makes things more enjoyable when one person can look after stuff like power production while the other focuses on the main factory.

Plus when you get bored you can both build the little mini carts and drag race.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I don't really know how to explain to a goon how to communicate and cooperate in a video game, I thought that was poo poo we were all born with.

non-sarcastic: the times I've done this co-op have all been one session which I really enjoyed and thought that my co-op buddy also did, where we decided what to do by his asking me "ok what are you planning on building next" and me saying poo poo like "I need another 180/m of iron," or "find the three nearest Limestone nodes and build a conveyor back to the factory, I'll have poo poo ready when you get here."

E: ^^^^ I've had the idea for a SatisfactorioKart course in the back of my head since the half-pipe and quarter-pipe foundation pieces were released

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's basically like minecraft mp where you're building together and can inspire yourself to do neat things because you're doing it with someone else

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I have played co op multiple times and had a lot of fun each time. At the beginning you are kinda doing your own thing since there is so much low hanging fruit to take care of. However later teirs there was quite a bit of coordination and planning while we both setup the same large project, or connected our seperate parts of the project.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So when my mathy son and I play, he does all the ratios and I go out and find the alternate recipes to invalidate all his work😀

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mayveena posted:

So when my mathy son and I play, he does all the ratios and I go out and find the alternate recipes to invalidate all his work😀

Another fun side of co-op is having philosophical arguments over how to play the game (of course we ran out of power you connected 9 assemblers making reinforced plate we don't need!). And rearranging your friend's conveyor belts because they clearly laid them wrong.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SettingSun posted:

Another fun side of co-op is having philosophical arguments over how to play the game (of course we ran out of power you connected 9 assemblers making reinforced plate we don't need!). And rearranging your friend's conveyor belts because they clearly laid them wrong.

Does it support PvP when this devolves even further??

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phigs posted:

Anyone else played this co-op? Just played about 2 hours with my brother and I'm not sure it's a great co-op game. It jusdt feels like it's hard to work together so we end up doing our own thing and occasionally asking "hey what are you up to?" So I'm hoping someone has made it work in co-op and has some tips. If not I'm thinking we'd be better off playing solo.

Played with a friend for over 120 hours back when I first got into the game, I thought it was great. The part that's most traditionally co-op is exploration. Otherwise, yeah there's a bit of an issue that building factories is the main part of the game, but you can't have two lead designers on the same factory.

Splitting up and building your own stuff independently is the easiest way to do it, and in the early game I think that's the most sensible way to do it. But later on when the builds get bigger, it starts being nice to have two people on the same build. You just have to be ok that one person is the main builder and one is the assistant. Then trade for the next build. And by assistant, I don't mean the designer is telling them what to build all the time. You want completely delegated requests ("we need 100/m iron ingots"), and the rest of the time the assistant is doing whatever they think is useful.

For an example, on the biggest build we did my friend was in charge (at the time he had more experience than me) for a plastics & computer factory on the oil islands. I helped lay out the foundations at the start, then mostly did stuff outside & around the build while he was figuring out all the machinery:
* built the oil extractors and piped oil to the factory
* set up the truck depot, programmed a tractor to deliver caterium
* drove back and forth to the main base for more supplies
* built a bridge & some roads to make the drive home faster
* added a hypertube elevator
* filled in walls, catwalks

Vakal posted:

Plus when you get bored you can both build the little mini carts and drag race.

LonsomeSon posted:

E: ^^^^ I've had the idea for a SatisfactorioKart course in the back of my head since the half-pipe and quarter-pipe foundation pieces were released

There's a mod for boost pads!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I play coop and rearrange the tubes occasionally to launch my brother across the map.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

You can use the F key to gently caress up someone way worse than you ever could with a rocket launcher in quake :devil:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just picked this up the other day and I’m addicted to it even though I’m just as bad as I was in Factorio. I’ve basically got 2 production lines of iron feeding into one assembler for the 2nd level parts like rotors, a copper spot making GBS threads out thousands of wires I don’t need, way too many powerpoles spiderwebbed everywhere, and I just built a coal plant next to a coal deposit 1000m away. I don’t see how I’m supposed to get coal/sulfur/that yellow ore/quartz to my base when there are so few and they are so far away :saddowns:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

drunken officeparty posted:

Just picked this up the other day and I’m addicted to it even though I’m just as bad as I was in Factorio. I’ve basically got 2 production lines of iron feeding into one assembler for the 2nd level parts like rotors, a copper spot making GBS threads out thousands of wires I don’t need, way too many powerpoles spiderwebbed everywhere, and I just built a coal plant next to a coal deposit 1000m away. I don’t see how I’m supposed to get coal/sulfur/that yellow ore/quartz to my base when there are so few and they are so far away :saddowns:

The tractor has an autopilot. First you turn on recording in the vehicle menu (hold v), drive a complete loop of the path yourself, and finish recording. Then you turn on autopilot and it drives that path forever or until it runs out of fuel. Truck stations have automatic loading / pickup.

Autopilot is less controlled and heavier on the gas than you, so drive cautiously & give obstacles plenty of clearance when recording.

Tractors are super easy for coal, since the coal is also fuel for the tractor.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you elect not to use tractors, the other common delivery method is kilometers-long conveyor stacks leading into your central depot area.

It’s also very possible to, for instance, build all-iron parts in outposts and then belt or truck either the poo poo you need to add to them, or them to the area which processes the other parts.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

When making those long conveyor lines, remember to look at what part of the production process is the densest with what you have. If you are going to ship in iron for frames, why not make the frames at the mine and ship in the finished frames. Instead of using a mk2 or mk3 belt, you can just use a mk1 belt. Cheaper to construct in the early game when it matters and won't make a difference in the long run as long as you don't fill the belt anyway.

For coop, played a bunch with my brother-in-law. It's good, but it has a lot of "doing separate projects" in it. We'll try to split up what needs to be done, but the playthrough usually fizzles out once the bigger projects start.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

#conveyorlife

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

#conveyorlife

That’s way too organized looking for me. Mine are all looping around each other and splitting and merging everywhere for really no reason.

Do you ever eventually get a way to have a smart storage container that can have multiple items in it and only shoot out what is needed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That’s way too organized looking for me. Mine are all looping around each other and splitting and merging everywhere for really no reason.

Do you ever eventually get a way to have a smart storage container that can have multiple items in it and only shoot out what is needed?

Honestly, I'd kill just to have the ability to turn off inventory slots in containers like in Factorio/DSP. No I don't need an entire storage container of iron rods, I need at most 1/2 of one.

Though I guess it's not as big of a deal with how Satsifactory has infinite resource nodes that don't expire unlike the other examples where nodes are drained over time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

No, and even creating a thing to do that with smart splitters is only semi-possible, with many drawbacks. Storage boxes fill to the top-left slot and output from the bottom-right slot. So if you have a box with mixed rods, plates, and wire, the output will need to go through a complete stack of wire and plates before you get any rods.

But the main thing is, you generally don't want to make factory lines that need something like that. As much as possible think about flow, in items/m, not stockpiles. Resources are infinite in this game. If you make extra, just let the belts back up and the machines will stop running.

Storage boxes that fill up with products you need to build with are good, especially if you collect them into one area so you can fill up everything at once (a storage room). Boxes in the middle of your production lines are generally not as useful.

Alkydere posted:

Honestly, I'd kill just to have the ability to turn off inventory slots in containers like in Factorio/DSP. No I don't need an entire storage container of iron rods, I need at most 1/2 of one.
There's a small storage container mod, 8 slots but also a much smaller box that you can fit in a tight space.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Most of my conveyor-stack nightmares come from getting smart splitters and running overflow feeds to my mall so I can repurpose the dedicated construction material feeds to making other poo poo

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Alkydere posted:

Though I guess it's not as big of a deal with how Satsifactory has infinite resource nodes that don't expire unlike the other examples where nodes are drained over time.

also an old minecraft trick works here; if you wanna "disable" slots in a container just shove 1 grass in each slot you want "disabled." It's kinda fiddly and doesn't work if you have conveyors out that'll grab the grass but it can be nice for having your mall limit how many stack of screws it thinks you need

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

priznat posted:

Sneaking up on your friend and shooting them in the head with the rivet gun is one of the most fun things in Satisfactory

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think I’ve about reached the limit for what I can handle. I just got oil unlocked and the nearest one is like 3000m away. But I don’t have any other game to play so I might just start a new world v:shobon:v

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Starting a new world won't exactly solve that problem because the world isn't random. You could choose a different start with closer oil, but it still wouldn't really be that close.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

3km is a bit of a hike for sure, but not insurmountable.

Most of the oil patches have a bunch of basic resources around them: you can usually tie a bunch of smaller outposts to your refinery outpost and manufacture a bunch of poo poo right there on site, to be hauled or belted to where it’s needed

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I think I’ve about reached the limit for what I can handle. I just got oil unlocked and the nearest one is like 3000m away. But I don’t have any other game to play so I might just start a new world v:shobon:v

Don't be afraid of long distances in this game. Assuming you started in the grasslands, oil being far away is intended and you'll have to head far east into the mushroom biome to find the nearest source. Piping the oil back directly probably wouldn't be a good choice since you would have to worry about pumps, but setting up some basic plastic/rubber production next to the oil deposits shouldn't be too hard once you've run power lines out there. The main problem is just the tedium of running 3km back and forth between your main base that has all the supplies and the new oil site while you're trying to set things up, I suggest researching hypertubes if you haven't already and looking up how to make a hypertube cannon to make the transit time insignificant. The oil patches in the east are next to a big lake so you don't even need parachutes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Starting a new world won't exactly solve that problem because the world isn't random. You could choose a different start with closer oil, but it still wouldn't really be that close.

Oh I didn’t realize it wasn’t randomly generated. That seems strange they would do that for this type of game.

But I meant also at the limit of what my brain can handle. So many conveyor belts.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Oh I didn’t realize it wasn’t randomly generated. That seems strange they would do that for this type of game.

But I meant also at the limit of what my brain can handle. So many conveyor belts.

Satisfactory is intentionally different from a lot of factory games because exploration is meant to be a required part of the core gameplay loop. That's why machine production is slow, but resources are infinite, to encourage you to just set something up and then wander off for a while. If you're feeling overwhelmed you can just go look for hard drives and see the sights and come back later, or go set up a small outpost somewhere.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I usually set up my hardware to push *a lot* of screws and reinforced iron plates and then go gently caress off for harddrives. Then I come back to hopefully enough screws and plates to completely eliminate the need for them later.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It helps to remember that there are exactly zero stakes in this game. There is no fail state, no time limit, no way to waste resources, and death just means a hike back to your death crate (which never disappears outside the odd glitch). You don't have to figure out everything at once and there is no reason to optimize everything to perfection. Even the one real limit, space in which to build, is easily overcome if you build a platform above the terrain.

Of course it is a damned crime that trains are locked until the late game. Whose terrible decision was that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Manager Hoyden posted:

Of course it is a damned crime that trains are locked until the late game. Whose terrible decision was that.

It's normal in most civilizations to develop space elevator technology before trains.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

It helps to remember that there are exactly zero stakes in this game. There is no fail state, no time limit, no way to waste resources, and death just means a hike back to your death crate (which never disappears outside the odd glitch).

Well technically I guess you could fall down a bottomless pit while carrying your HUB parts...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't be afraid of long distances in this game. Assuming you started in the grasslands, oil being far away is intended and you'll have to head far east into the mushroom biome to find the nearest source. Piping the oil back directly probably wouldn't be a good choice since you would have to worry about pumps, but setting up some basic plastic/rubber production next to the oil deposits shouldn't be too hard once you've run power lines out there. The main problem is just the tedium of running 3km back and forth between your main base that has all the supplies and the new oil site while you're trying to set things up, I suggest researching hypertubes if you haven't already and looking up how to make a hypertube cannon to make the transit time insignificant. The oil patches in the east are next to a big lake so you don't even need parachutes.

Lol if you havent sky blocked the 16 compass points and run mutiple layers of pipes to your golden home. All connected with hyper tubes

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

Well technically I guess you could fall down a bottomless pit while carrying your HUB parts...

packing my HUB into the one slot of the factory kart and yeeting that poo poo into the void

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't be afraid of long distances in this game

My favorite instance of this is by far the easiest way I have to get from base to base is a series of large cannons I use to fire myself across the map.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish the drones would be unlockable about one tier earlier.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I love the lizard dog and it's cute as hell but is there a way to make it stop following you? It's hard to build with it getting in the way all the time

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GotLag posted:

I love the lizard dog and it's cute as hell but is there a way to make it stop following you? It's hard to build with it getting in the way all the time

it is impossible to be mean to the lizard doggo, and if you work out how to do it we'll find your savegame and scramble up your belt connections!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GotLag posted:

Build a doggohouse! You need foundation floors and walls on all sides, but a roof is optional. You can lure them into the house and then build the final wall with them in it. Or my preferred way is to get them to follow onto a ramp or catwalk above the pen and then unbuild what they're standing on.

With that the doggo will stay inside, and will not despawn even if you leave the area. If you don't have walls & floors the doggo will despawn. I guess they can dig? So don't try to give them a natural environment by having natural surface ground (guess how I know this :( ). However, conveyor hole walls work fine, and you can pet / open their inventory through the hole.

Note that a group of lizard doggos in one place will make your game occasionally go all hitchy. What happens is when you come a certain distance from the doggos they try to pathfind to you. A bunch of them all pathfinding at once is a nasty sudden CPU load spike. If you travel by hypercannon, I strongly advise keeping the doggos well away from both cannons and landing zones.