Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Did the 707 not have a yaw damper? Maybe it was broken, who knows. The Lear 35 I used to fly got really bad Dutch roll with a broken yaw damper. Bad enough that both yaw damps had to be operative to be dispatchable and that a yaw damper failure was a recurrent check box in the sim. Really easy to fix though, just jam the rudder to one side and add enough aileron to level the wings.

IIRC, the 707 has a yaw damper, but in this situation it was malfunctioning somehow and causing the Dutch roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't been posted before but these "this was me and I lived" videos are always pro-click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43kzjFne_XQ

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Related:

https://youtu.be/R4DtDu2DNKE

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

vessbot posted:

Thanks! Though I didn't mean it to be sneaky, the whole beginning was building foundation for the two actual examples at the end, which (to my mind, so I guess not the viewer's) were the intended endpoint all along.

Speaking of, videos of the examples. RC gliders: (By the way not fake or sped up, it's literally going transonic at 545 mph and 120+ G's in the turn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eFD_Wj6dhk

Watching that video makes me appreciate the fact that I no longer live in Action. (You can probably see my old house as a single pixel when he launches.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ki_VDILYRE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Saw this article last night about the ground crew guy who stole a Q400 off the ramp at SeaTac and barrel rolled it. Interesting to get background on the guy, definitely a sad story.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/beebo-russell-seattle-plane-theft-true-story-1187023/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Those are some awfully clear photos from 400 feet down.

I’m sure a bunch of people are going to say “THE WINGS FELL OFF CAPTAIN SULLY DIDN’T DO THAT” and completely not realize the sea state around Hawaii is always rough.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m sure a bunch of people are going to say “THE WINGS FELL OFF CAPTAIN SULLY DIDN’T DO THAT” and completely not realize the sea state around Hawaii is always rough.
It’s almost like people go there to surf.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"they will return and recover the plane"? Is Glomar Explorer coming off the breaker beach for this?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

Those are some awfully clear photos from 400 feet down.

I’ve been diving like, ten or fifteen miles east of there, just south of the east end of the airport. At the ~100ft line, the water is wonderfully clear. And ya, the current and impact with the bottom probably did bad things to it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Uhm, so that's one way to get your new plane home. Feel like this guy and Raptor guy might be related...

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/...ihp0wcSGX3vogpU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Say what you will, but I'm digging the circa 2000 pre-Web 2.0 website without infinite scroll, mouseover everything, and embedded elements from other platforms that are liable to change or disappear (or already disappeared.) What there is is what there is, and that's all what there is. And did they rip off the title banner from Blue's News from that era? And a hit counter, how quaint!

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
That pilot picture is amazing right above the airplane picture.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Geez

quote:

I am the airport mgr at KONL..I spent 3 days with this fellow..He landed gear up the day he bought it for 100 plus grand..in CA...Then ran off the runway in NM..wiping out landing lights and left flap..He repaired it..the we were his next stop..5 attempts to land..last one lost it on landing..creamed two runway lights..His story was..Airplane sat for 2 years..when he got to us he had already damaged the hull...I fed him..housed him..and gave him tools and parts..We got his CG corected for his pilot weight..He replaced the trim motor..ad the first was inop..hence the 4 attempts to land..He was way aft..outside the envelope..Luccky to be alive..lucky...His trip to test everything was not much better..his trim was reversed..wiped out right main and brake assembly..Feds talked to him..We advised him to truck the plane..he refused all efforts..Snuck out Saturday..did not pay his bill..made it all the way home..over the lake..his engine quit..He deadsticked it back to a nearby airport..broke the nosewheel.Fixed it again..added fuel..Now ran all the tanks dry..sucked all the fiberglass trash into the fuel system..Took off halfway across the lake..it quit again..Nosegear was locked down..hull was scraped and damaged..lanned dead stick in the lake..nose gear down..Fliped over..lucky to have gotten out..Airplane is at the bottom of Lake MI..Nice guy..bit of a temper..hellbent on gethomeitis...No insurance..lost it all because of god knows why...It was like watching 2 trains heading towards one another..nothing you could do..Even the FAA..after verifying his credentials and barely current currency.They.said to let..him go..Sad day indeed..

Internet comment so questionable veracity but 💩

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WHY THE gently caress WOULD THE FSDO LET HIM GO?!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it just the bias of more stories getting out or does general aviation loving suck at the moment?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Same mindset as Inhofe and the guy that had a temper tantrum at the lake and tried to take off while still tied up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

MrYenko posted:

FSDO guys ain't cops. As big and scary as they like to act there really isn't much they can do right away unless they can convince an actual LEO to take away your keys or whatever. They do have the force of the federal government behind them but that force is usually slow as poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

FSDO guys ain't cops. As big and scary as they like to act there really isn't much they can do right away unless they can convince an actual LEO to take away your keys or whatever. They do have the force of the federal government behind them but that force is usually slow as poo poo.

There should be some sort of warning button they could push, metaphorically speaking. Some authorized set of button pushers gets to send a message to the offending asshat's insurance company and the insurance company lets him know via text message he has violated one of their terms. That doesn't violate the tenets of freedom, but it does incentivize the stopping of lovely actions.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Ola posted:

There should be some sort of warning button they could push, metaphorically speaking. Some authorized set of button pushers gets to send a message to the offending asshat's insurance company and the insurance company lets him know via text message he has violated one of their terms. That doesn't violate the tenets of freedom, but it does incentivize the stopping of lovely actions.

If the random guy in the comments is to be believed, he didn't have insurance to take away.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Ola posted:

Is it just the bias of more stories getting out or does general aviation loving suck at the moment?

It’s always been like this if not worse

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd be surprised if it's not drastically better these days.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

GA accident rate has been pretty stubbornly high for a long time, so no I'm not really inclined to believe it's getting better.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

There was a fatal ga accident at my airport the other week, curious to see if they find out anything more about it. 172 took off, and drove into a mountain a few miles away, in very clear daytime wx. I assume it was an engine out, but the adsb track doesn't show much besides a normal looking climb straight into the mountains. They didn't radio anybody as far as I've heard.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I was in the pattern with some old gently caress who died in his seat on downwind in some kitplane. Just stroked out and died and crashed into a pot field or something. Camarillo, CA

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The distilled water bit was something I didn't know about, yet I'm not surprised. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is that the “tap water in the summer has more chlorine to control algae and that fucks up the welds” thing or something else?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Virgin Galactic is up with Richard Branson onboard.

https://www.flightradar24.com/VGX01/285e221f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KI2_cpR9Ek

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

LibCrusher posted:

I was in the pattern with some old gently caress who died in his seat on downwind in some kitplane. Just stroked out and died and crashed into a pot field or something. Camarillo, CA

I hope I go out this cool

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

e.pilot posted:

I hope I go out this cool

That would be chill. Aim for the ocean, set trim for altitude slightly increasing, just go up up up and away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to keep going higher until I reach space, like that 777 🙃

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Platystemon posted:

Is that the “tap water in the summer has more chlorine to control algae and that fucks up the welds” thing or something else?

I vaguely recall something to that effect from the Skunkworks book read through I did the other month. Thing was meant to do one thing damned well and concessions had to be made. Them having to make the fuel onsite was wild as was sourcing the materials from the Russians via shell companies and the like.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Aside from Snakes on a Plane, can anyone think of examples of a non-pilot landing a plane in an emergency (when the pilot had a heart attack or something).

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Aside from Snakes on a Plane, can anyone think of examples of a non-pilot landing a plane in an emergency (when the pilot had a heart attack or something).

Executive Decision with Halle Berry and Kurt Russell

Also starring John Leguizamo and with Stevan Segal appearing

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Here's IRL. https://www.today.com/news/student-pilot-max-sylvester-lands-plane-after-teacher-passes-out-t161692

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

edit: ^^* I thought they meant commercial, I’ve seen stories of that happening a few times

There’s usually at least one pilot of some sort deadheading in the back of a commercial plane.

There was a story a few years ago of a captain having a heart attack on a commercial flight and the FO asking for a pilot to identify themselves. She (iirc) got a B-1 squadron commander which probably was not what was expected! Still, any commercial pilot (referring to the license) could brief an IFR approach given the plate and talk to ATC.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wisconsin-wife-80-lands-plane-dying-pilot-husband/story?id=16062534

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPvVxxIDr0
Guy technically was briefly a pilot, though.