Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

vaginite posted:

Is powerwash simulator fun or is it just a meme game?

Late to the party on this but honestly it is a chill good time and it was exactly what I wanted Viscera Cleanup Detail to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Party Ys titles don't bother with vertical stuff. I guess VIII has jumping again but it's not much of a combat element.

Yeah, I played Seven and Celceta on the Vita before and I remember liking them more overall- the earlier Ys titles of the 2000s might be fast and loose and when it's running at a full clip it's a lot of fun but recent playthroughs have been a good reminder that hot drat they spend large amounts of time giving nowhere near their best, especially Oath which has a very, very soggy middle where the combat just... sucks. Just the entire stretch from the Lava Pits through the Elderm Mountains is just kinda bad. The monsters are all either walking gimmicks not worth stopping to bother with, beef tanks with no flavor, or exist in that dreaded vertical space where you just gotta try to figure out if they're gonna try and juke you on the z-axis and you dive attack or on the x or y axis and unleash wind magic (and hope they don't pull the dreaded three-axis dodge, which you just have to suck it and hop like a flea until they stop.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 11, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Weirdly enough I think Mad Max still holds the throne by lieu of being consistently mediocre.

Hour 1: Hey drat, this is actually pretty fun
Hour 10: Hey cool, this is still pretty fun
Continue as long as you like!

Calling it the #1 most 7/10 game ever makes me lol but it's so true

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mescal posted:

It's one of those types of games I love to play when I just want to zone out and listen to podcasts. Sassy Creed games, Diablo, and short bouts of WoW, are perfect for this.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So I played dishonored 2 then the first one. It's weird. 2 is quite good. I think it's the first stealth-first game I've played through. 1 is almost exactly the same game, but it's so much worse. You can't always quite trust your button presses, which I hate. Mostly it's the level design, and a little bit of how the character progression is calibrated. I wish I'd gone NG+ on 2 instead of spending like a very low discounted price for the first one. The second in a series is usually the best, innit? Maybe I'll try Hitman 2 again. It made me feel kind of nervous and nauseous the first time I tried and I didn't get through the first mission.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, comparing it to Days Gone is actually an interesting exercise because like Mad Max the first 5-10 hours are like "Cool, this is pretty fun', and also like Mad Max you're doing the exact same thing for the entire game... but I was very, very thoroughly done with Days Gone about 10-15 hours before it was finished, and I never hit comparable frustration with Mad Max.

I wonder if part of the difference is that Mad Max is a single game loop, and Days Gone is basically a really neat zombie tech demo taped to a subpar cover shooter.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 11, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Mad Max takes the 7/10 title by being way more crunchy than Days Gone. Say what you will about the gameplay loops in Mad Max but the shotgun, the thunderpoon, and the punches/kicks have so much more impact than anything in Days Gone.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The WB games were of... varying quality, but they had that cinematic style to them and they were on point when it came to spicing up combat with perfectly timed slo-mo and zooms and nasty sound effects. Mad Max often made me wince at the screen because agh ow drat that looks like it huuuurt.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Anyone know of a good cleaning program for the duplicate files Steam likes to install, like Direct X for every single game that installs it? Or is Steam actually uninstalling that kind of bloat when you uninstall a game these days?

I remember years ago people referring to Crap Cleaner, is that still a thing?

Steam used to let all sorts of files just hang around, but they changed that some years back. Now all that the games might leave behind are empty folders and on occasion some miniscule files (few kb in size). Some older titles might not remove save files, but those tend not to have huge file sizes either. Also, if you download content via the Steam Workshop, those files may stick around. If you unsubscribe from the content before uninstalling, they should get nuked automatically.

Overall, I agree with what Antigravitas said and would suggest leaving Windows DLL files well enough alone. You can save space somewhere else.

CrapCleaner was my go to free program for getting rid of unneeded files, but I changed to BleachBit after having some issues. Can recommend. I know that CCleaner is even better, but only if you get the version you have to pay for.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The Mad Max game also came hot on the heels of Fury Road. I got the game because I wanted more of the movie, but I don't think I would've liked the game as much had I not been so hyped for the film.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

The Mad Max game also came hot on the heels of Fury Road. I got the game because I wanted more of the movie, but I don't think I would've liked the game as much had I not been so hyped for the film.

The GVMERS youtube channel released a video on it a few days a go. I got the game well after the movie had come out, so "hype" was a non-factor for me. Had a good time all the way through. I never played it for more than an hour or two at a time though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, comparing it to Days Gone is actually an interesting exercise because like Mad Max the first 5-10 hours are like "Cool, this is pretty fun', and also like Mad Max you're doing the exact same thing for the entire game... but I was very, very thoroughly done with Days Gone about 10-15 hours before it was finished, and I never hit comparable frustration with Mad Max.

I wonder if part of the difference is that Mad Max is a single game loop, and Days Gone is basically a really neat zombie tech demo taped to a subpar cover shooter.

Yeah, the pacing of Days Gone feels very weird. You've got stretches of sort of loving around followed by story missions coming one after another at a breakneck pace. It's also loving long. I'm about 10 hours in now, and while those were legitimately fun and good, I'm reaching the point where it feels like I've kinda seen it all and done it all. With other games, this would be the point where it could comfortably head into the endgame without feeling rushed. But in this game, it feels like I've only just gotten out of the prologue.

Also, having the protagonist be an actual slaver sure is, uh... a decision.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The really weird thing about Days Gone to me was how little zombies were involved. The whole game felt calibrated around an arcadey resident evil experience, and I enjoyed almost all of the content involving hordes and weird science and caves and poo poo, but it felt like the vast majority of the gameplay involved shooting at other humans, and the third person shooter stuff felt really half-baked in comparison.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm kinda convinced Days Gone was originally going to be a Syphon Filter game before marketing demanded zombies. There's even hints of it being in the same universe as Syphon Filter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm kinda convinced Days Gone was originally going to be a Syphon Filter game before marketing demanded zombies. There's even hints of it being in the same universe as Syphon Filter.

You mean the taser?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How are impressions of baldur's gate 3? The small bit of footage I saw looked really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's shaping up to be hella good but it's gonna be a Larian game with D&D trappings, not the other way around.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Steam cleaner was more needed way back in the day because if Game A needed direct x redist 123 and Game B also needed direct x redist 123 they would download redundant installers for redist 123. They first consolidated this by making Steam manage the download of redist 123 centrally, away from the app itself so it downloaded it once ever. This still got redundant because you'd end up with like redist 123 and redist 124 and redist 124 had everything 123. These days I think they have a pretty modern set of dependency management so if a game needs Direct X 10 redist 123 and you have 124 installed it knows youre good, but if you need special snowflake DLLs from Direct X 7 it'll know to download those.

There are still some things Steam doesn't manage and Steam Cleaner might find like a gigabyte if you're lucky or have a bunch of games with obscure or poorly managed engines.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mescal posted:

So I played dishonored 2 then the first one. It's weird. 2 is quite good. I think it's the first stealth-first game I've played through. 1 is almost exactly the same game, but it's so much worse. You can't always quite trust your button presses, which I hate. Mostly it's the level design, and a little bit of how the character progression is calibrated. I wish I'd gone NG+ on 2 instead of spending like a very low discounted price for the first one. The second in a series is usually the best, innit? Maybe I'll try Hitman 2 again. It made me feel kind of nervous and nauseous the first time I tried and I didn't get through the first mission.

My impression from around the interwebs and also my own opinion is that Dishonored 2 is the also-ran. This is mainly because you probably won’t find many people who’ve played 2 before 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

A lot of Dishonored's popularity came from people who played it for like 5bux since it was always so heavily discounted, it doesn't surprise me that Arkane games don't tend to sell well on the first pass.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mescal posted:

Yeah, this is probably the best description of Mad Max. I've seen it used for other games that are legit extremely good and wouldn't grade as "mediocre" whatsoever (like Dragon's Dogma) but Mad Max is a very boiler-plate, extremely competent open world game. The things it had to get right in order to elevate it from an Ubisoft-style open world game it got right really well.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
D2 had some incredible level design, unique world-building in Karnaca, and brought back Steven Russell as a love-letter to Thief fans (even if he isn't as snide playing Corvo as he was Garrett). I adore the hell out of that game. If you get a chance and they're cheap, pick up the two story expansions for D1. They're better than the base game and might be the highlight of the series.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

How are impressions of baldur's gate 3? The small bit of footage I saw looked really good.

It's pretty much Divinity: Original Sin 3, set in a D&D world. It still doesn't have a lot of things fleshed out, and you're better off waiting until the full release.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Question for anyone who has the Pathfinder: War of the righteous early access: You can play some evil classes like Lich or the swarm of bugs that eats people - does the game reflect that you are a horrific monster or is it the standard RPG "Hey Grathlax the devourer, swarm of ten thousand evils and consumer of souls of the innocent , could you collect 10 apples for me? I need to make a pie for my daughter's birthday party :)"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mescal posted:

the new hitman trilogy loving owns and I had a similar "this is very stressful" bounce off at first but then I realized the detection system is infinitely more forgiving than it seems. You can play it a lot more loose than it seems like you ought to be able to and just run around throwing wrenches at people and hiding them in boxes
Also it is designed for you to save and reload to get multiple objectives in a given run so be sure to do that

and make sure you unlock the lockpicking tool that's really useful and I somehow missed it in my first play through in 1

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Armauk posted:

It's pretty much Divinity: Original Sin 3, set in a D&D world. It still doesn't have a lot of things fleshed out, and you're better off waiting until the full release.

I haven't even booted it up but does it do the Larian thing where in multiplayer the only person who gets to interact with NPCs is the initiating person?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Question for anyone who has the Pathfinder: War of the righteous early access: You can play some evil classes like Lich or the swarm of bugs that eats people - does the game reflect that you are a horrific monster or is it the standard RPG "Hey Grathlax the devourer, swarm of ten thousand evils and consumer of souls of the innocent , could you collect 10 apples for me? I need to make a pie for my daughter's birthday party :)"
A follow-up question: does it still have the stupid kingdom management?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Armauk posted:

It's pretty much Divinity: Original Sin 3, set in a D&D world.
And also using the D&D 5e ruleset, which seems like kind of a big distinction from D:OS. The action economy of 5e (movement, action, bonus action, reaction) is completely different from D:OS (Fallout-style action points).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mad Max, Days Gone: most 7/10 games ever
Rage 2, Far Cry 5: most 6/10 games ever
New Hitman trilogy: most 8/10 games ever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

New Hitman trilogy: most 8/10 games ever

Weird way of spelling 10/10

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weird way of spelling 10/10

empty quote

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jedi Fallen Order: the most 6.5/10 game ever

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Jedi Fallen Order: the most 6.5/10 game ever

Unfortunately

Made with love but I don't think I love star wars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Star Wars has got to be the least interesting creative property on earth at this point. I'd sooner watch a deep dive into the lore of Days Gone than anything Star Wars-related ever again.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have played neither game but this I love stuff like this. What is the link?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dishonored is a 9/10 IMO. The only things I dislike about it are that it's a bit too easy, and that it has mechanics and achievements that encourage you to play in ways that are unfun.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I kinda hate Star Wars now thanks to Disney but at least Fallen Order was trying to do something interesting with it. I think they were both restricted by what the rotting husk of LucasArts/LucasFilm the Star Wars licensing office was willing to let them do with the property and EA wanting it to be a mass-appeal product.

Late game/ending spoilers: I liked how they introduced nightsisters into the story, but forcing Darth Vader in at the end was loving stupid as heck and probably something mandated from up above because "cool twist, recognizable character makes fans go clap!". The game's story almost managed to exist as its own thing, almost.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Dishonored 2 has some inspired architecture. And I don't mean the Clockwork Mansion interior. That one has gotten a lot of praise for the bonkers level of effort that went into it and how amazing it feels to slip into its mechanisms. But what I mean is the incredible care that went into every building in the game. Like The Grand Palace. It's an incredible piece of architecture that tells you a lot of about the person who commissioned it and how they relate to the land that they govern. It's a fortress in a style that looks like some sort of mediterranean modernism. It is not just geographically sequestered from the city, its architecture is starkly different. It looks like the seat of power of a rich rear end in a top hat and autocrat, and it is.

e:

Look at this thing:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 11, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

exquisite tea posted:

It's shaping up to be hella good but it's gonna be a Larian game with D&D trappings, not the other way around.

bg3 feels much more like actually playing dnd then any of the others lol. I mean whether that's a good or bad thing may vary to taste ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The story is that the Duke demolished the old palace that his beloved father and mother had lived in and built this fancy new property in its place, which is why it looks out of place compared to the rest of Karnaca's older structures.