Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hadlock posted:

They're, or were, rebranded Clevo units, but it's probably been four years since anyone brought them up

As of four years ago, they were not terrible

They're all currently out of stock anyway. Was looking for a desktop replacement and it seemed like an interesting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Theotus posted:

They're all currently out of stock anyway. Was looking for a desktop replacement and it seemed like an interesting option.

If is is Clevo, powerful internals mixed with mediocre build and heat management. Without a cooling pad you usually hit thermal limits before hardware limits. But I still like them, they're good if you have a good place to keep the laptop.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I spent a little over an hour on the phone with Lenovo's Legion support (which, incidentally, was a surprisingly good experience) and there's no solution yet for the cycling kbd backlight. The support guy ran me through some stuff I hadn't tried and had me install a few other gaming component control software to see if any of it would work but nothing really changed the situation. He even remoted in and tried a few things himself, to no result. Eventually he said what I already suspected, that it was likely a hardware issue with the keyboard and that I should probably return it.

That said, other than the keyboard issue, I really liked the Legion 5 Pro, so I'm returning the defective one and ordered a new one, straight from Lenovo this time. The new one will have a 3060 instead of a 3070 (which the defective one did) but I also saved about as much money as you'd expect on that trade anyway. Plus I haven't had a new computer in so long it'll still be such a huge jump from what I had before, and I barely did anything on the 3070, that I'm not sure I'll even notice the downgrade.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I got my Alienware x15 yesterday.

first some context:
My previous machine was a 2018 Falcon NorthWest TLX (their thin & light based on the clevo platform). 6-core i7 8750h, 1070 max-q, 16gb ram, 1080p 144hz.

the x15 I ordered is 8-core i7 11800h, 3070 (not full wattage but I’m not sure exactly), 32gb ram, 1440p 240hz adv. optimus/gsync.

first impressions - the 1440p upgrade in the same screen size is fantastic. 99% of my gaming time is Warhammer 2 (2300+ hours so far), so everything just looks so much more crisp and clear. There’s so much small text and character detail that is much more clear and obvious. Plus, I can run it at max settings without a problem.

The 4-fan design is interesting. It’s definitely cooler on the left side (under WASD) than the old computer. When the fans are running, it’s more of a “woosh” sound than louder, more prominent jet fan noise. The design of the Alienware machines, with the rear block that sticks out the back, does a good job of shifting the heat sinks further back so they aren’t right under the keyboard. I’ve never had an Alienware before, but I like it.

Design/aesthetics - I’m pleased with it. I like subtlety, so I shut off all the rgb and set the kb backlight to a soft white. It is thin, as thin as my work MBP “16. I’ve been a “Mac for work, Windows for fun” guy for 20 years so I was strongly considering a Razer Blade Advanced but the horror stories of customer service and battery bulge after the first year tipped it toward the x15 for me. Very much looking forward to traveling with this.

I’m still getting a feel for the Alienware control center app. I’ll poke at it over time, I’m not worried about tweaking everything up front. Advanced Optimus is weird, or I don’t totally understand it.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 8, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
A bit ago, I asked about simple laptops for weekend codings, and got some suggestions. I've been considering my options, but decided to look up my exact work laptop model, since that's basically what I want anyway and then I know it should serve me fine. I found refurbished ones on Amazon through something called the Amazon Renewed Store. They are way cheaper than similar, worse ones from Dell.

A quick search does not indicate any major hostility towards buying refurbished stuff from the Bezos Brand, regarding negative experiences, etc. The site talks about all your fancy guarantees as well. Any thoughts on it from here? Will I just get a box filled with leftover pogs?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buying refurbished business class laptops is about 80% of the OP

You should be fine either way, Pogs are going up in value

I prefer ebay for my refurbished stuff as vendor transparency is better, buy both should be fine

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

A bit ago, I asked about simple laptops for weekend codings, and got some suggestions. I've been considering my options, but decided to look up my exact work laptop model, since that's basically what I want anyway and then I know it should serve me fine.

You work is kinda hosed up if they are issuing 1366x768 screens... and they want $650 for that?

These are a few generations older but they are what I used to issue to my employees. They are less than $300, but are 1080p and have a single latch on the bottom to let you cheaply upgrade the ram to 32gb if you want, or upgrade three SSD or even put in an Intel Wifi 6E card for $30. Much easier to repair/upgrade than the new stuff that is glued shut, these never truly die. Intel u-series CPUs didn't get significantly faster going from 5th gen to 8th gen anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284352390651

It's like identical layout to your Dell, and you could buy two and still come out ahead.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just got a Lenovo Legion 7i Slim. I’ve only had one other laptop before and it was a cheapo thing that could only browse the internet and watch movies. Now I have some power I can play games on it, but I’m worried about temperatures. After a while, the bit above the keyboard will get hot to the touch. I have it on full blast cooling. A temp monitoring program I get says it idles around 35-40c and at the end will be around 55-60c on the CPU cores and GPU, but I have no reference for what is “normal”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

drunken officeparty posted:

I just got a Lenovo Legion 7i Slim. I’ve only had one other laptop before and it was a cheapo thing that could only browse the internet and watch movies. Now I have some power I can play games on it, but I’m worried about temperatures. After a while, the bit above the keyboard will get hot to the touch. I have it on full blast cooling. A temp monitoring program I get says it idles around 35-40c and at the end will be around 55-60c on the CPU cores and GPU, but I have no reference for what is “normal”

As long as the vents are clear your probably ok. Modern chips can get really hot. I would probably limit couch gaming that leaves the fans on full blast but even that is ok for a while. On a hard surface your ok and on a cooling pad your even better.

The legion has pretty good thermals so it'll manage, though you might get performance throttled not on a pad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I have an HP Omen 15 - the one with the 3070 and i7. Perfectly good laptop, but I was hoping to buy a spare power supply for it.

Looking on like Amazon though, they all, y'know, visually look the same, but they're from no-name brands of course. Now I might have gambled for like, an offbrand 65W power adapter such as on my older T420, but for a 200W power adapter it seems like that'd just be introducting an IED into my house. Am I being too careful here?

While I'm on the topic of power supplies, this thing definitely gets uncomfortably hot to the touch during gaming. Anyone have any tips on how to keep things like that cool? Easy ways to prop it up maybe?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I prop mine up with two of those classical pink rubber school erasers

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hadlock posted:

I prop mine up with two of those classical pink rubber school erasers

Nice that sounds perfect, especially because my wife is a teacher so we almost certainly have some of those lying around.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use a metal baking cooling rack thing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

get a tiny silent USB fan and use it as a cooling pad for the adapter imho, paint it to match the one on the mothership and people will immediately recognize your tandem cooling units are a force to be reckoned with

ok and now for my actual reason for posting; is my 9th gen intel i7 still gonna be locked out from me using throttlestop with it? :(

they patched that out of the bios like 3 weeks after i got this laptop to plug some security gap i forget the name of. are there any alternatives to controlling this CPU voltage?

this machine was largely purchased to experiment on with things like that and hooo boy it causes an actual mood swing when i think about the fact it was patched away 10 days after Dell would take this ~$2500 silver trap of lies back.

it is a pretty solid laptop though if you absolutely need something with a 15.6 inch screen, not to dissuade anybody from dell or an xps15. the real culprit is intel in this situation not dell anyway

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I figured out a way to prop it up easily and played State of Decay 2 for like two hours straight last night. Went to touch the power brick and it was hot for sure, but not too hot to the touch again so it isn't gonna be as big of a problem as I thought.

Now I just scooped up a 1TB SK hynix Gold P31 NVMe for a secondary drive. Hope they're still good, I heard a lot of manufacturers have been doing bad poo poo with SSDs these days. Peeled off those unsightly stickers on the palm rest. Man it's nice to have a decent gaming laptop again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FYI, $20 cooling pads are on Amazon and go a long way to keeping performance better on a laptop as well as add longevity. Probably a better solution to your $1000+ device than pink pet erasers.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I figured out a way to prop it up easily and played State of Decay 2 for like two hours straight last night. Went to touch the power brick and it was hot for sure, but not too hot to the touch again so it isn't gonna be as big of a problem as I thought.

Now I just scooped up a 1TB SK hynix Gold P31 NVMe for a secondary drive. Hope they're still good, I heard a lot of manufacturers have been doing bad poo poo with SSDs these days. Peeled off those unsightly stickers on the palm rest. Man it's nice to have a decent gaming laptop again.

SK Hynix manufactures their own controller, dram, and flash, should be fine.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 12, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lockback posted:

FYI, $20 cooling pads are on Amazon and go a long way to keeping performance better on a laptop as well as add longevity. Probably a better solution to your $1000+ device than pink pet erasers.

Power supply, not the laptop itself. Thermals are great on this machine so far, especially once undervolted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lockback posted:

Performance maybe, but I'm dubious on longevity based on the way notebooks typically operate all other things being equal. If thermals are going to be the limit on performance, your machine is going to get that hot regardless of the cooling pad. The cooling pad may allow your device to maintain higher clocks for longer, but the thermal limit is still likely to be the thing it bounces off of. As a result, it's still getting as hot as it would have gotten without the cooling pad (just sustaining higher clocks for longer.)

It's also highly variable on design of the notebook as well. If the bottom heats up (thermals dumped to the chassis) or there are passive vent holes then having fans blowing on the underside of the chassis could be helpful. If that's not the case and you only have vents completely covered by internal fans, then things are going to be a whole lot less effective since fans in a series are not additive in airflow (especially since the cooling pad isn't sealed on the bottom of the device). You are banking the fans in the cooling pad preventing the fans in the chassis from spinning up due to the sheer airflow, but unless you are doing a lot of manual fancurve work in the software, you are at best going to just creating a positive pressure for the air intake of the system fan which could decrease efficiency.

I look at my G15. The only openings on the bottom are really for the intake fans (there's a tiny bit of space that's open to the bottom which I guess could help cool the wifi card or SSD.) The bottom panel also does not really get hot while gaming, heat tends to be dumped upwards. I really wouldn't expect it to benefit from a cooling pad much at all, it really only needs to ensure there's adequate room for airflow to be taken in at the bottom which the hinge design does when using it on a hard surface.

A lot of modern laptop designs aren't going to get much from a cooling pad. It was certainly something that was needed more a few years ago, but the airflow through heatpipes and vapor chambers is now so specifically designed that you aren't going to get much airflow outside the fan channel to cool stuff and increasing the velocity of the air flowing through the fan cooling channel isn't something that a cooling pad really helps much with. Notebook manufacturers take great pains now to ensure the bottom of their devices don't get hot and that design consideration also means that passively blowing air on the bottom of the chassis is going to have less effect.

Most people would be fine with a lap desk so that there's a hard surface under that won't block intakes. You can get one with vent holes if you are feeling really fancy.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I’ll be getting a new laptop soon, and I’m thinking of either a surface pro or and XPS 2 in 1. It doesn’t need to have the greatest specks, but I’d like to maybe have at least something relatively powerful. Is ram, processor, or memory more important? If I have something better of one, can I get away with something cheaper of the other two?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but here goes anyway:

I ended up getting an XPS 17 as a personal computer because I found a decent deal and Lenovo dicked me around for just a little too long for my liking.

So far seems like a pretty good machine (trackpad is so-so but I guess that's just compared to macbooks) , mostly no complaints, but I have a question:

The CPU default settings seem to keep the whole package pretty toasty if you ask it to operate under load. Multithreading to all available cores with Rust/Rayon will push the temps to ~85C. This is cool to have for burst loads, but if I'm number crunching a sustained load, I would rather just keep it a little cooler and go a little slower because I'm worried about longevity; I sometimes need this thing to run at a steady rate for hours on end.

Is there a way to turn the thermal throttling settings DOWN? Like I would prefer that the CPU clock down if it reaches 70-75 C.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Play a game for an hour on your whatever. Then put it on a cooling pad and play for an hour. Track temps in both situations. Even on newer laptops it's a 5-10C difference.*

And I don't understand "You'll get more performance but heat won't dissipate". If you hit thermal limits, you are not dumping enough heat. If you can get to where you aren't hitting thermal limits your components are under less thermal stress. How much it impacts life of components is definitely up to debate but I doubt that THIS generation is the one that solved longevity in small laptop sized components, I've heard that before and after 2-3 years every generation ends up in the bucket of "oh yeah, you really should have cooled it better if you wanted it to last longer".

Note: If you're just web browsing, watching movies, or have something like the Macbook Air, a cooling pad is likely not going to do anything. This is for gaming or otherwise pushing your internals over time.

*Here's a bunch of tests to show this is true
https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-well-does-a-laptop-cooling-pad-work-We-Amazon-d-one-ourselves-to-find-out.464231.0.html
https://reviewsgarage.com/laptop-cooling-pads-work-in-2020/
https://nullbeans.com/do-laptop-cooling-pads-really-work/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Power supply, not the laptop itself. Thermals are great on this machine so far, especially once undervolted.

Ah, good deal, well I STILL suggest a pad (see above) but I misread so I thought your laptop was getting hot to the touch. Part of misreading is I was kinda chewing on your first part:

Protocol7 posted:

So I have an HP Omen 15 - the one with the 3070 and i7. Perfectly good laptop, but I was hoping to buy a spare power supply for it.

Looking on like Amazon though, they all, y'know, visually look the same, but they're from no-name brands of course. Now I might have gambled for like, an offbrand 65W power adapter such as on my older T420, but for a 200W power adapter it seems like that'd just be introducting an IED into my house. Am I being too careful here?

SO, I have some probably truthful but probably bad advice. So first, the good advice. You spent ~$1500 on this laptop, spend the extra $25-$50 or so on a real power supply.

So the bad advice: A cruddy clone powersupply is PROBABLY not going to hurt your machine. The way a power supply would break would probably be of no damage/within tolerances of your laptop. They are far more likely to die an early death but your laptop will likely be fine. I've gotten a couple in my life and they've ranged from exactly the same to way hotter but otherwise fine to lasted 6 weeks then died.

Now, they definitely COULD kill your machine, and I'm sure that has happened, but I'd guess the risk is probably on the order of "occasionally drinking a soda near your laptop" and I do that all the time. All that said its probably not worth saving a couple bucks. If it was a matter of "Using a knock-off PS or not using the laptop at all" I wouldn't worry about it but if you're getting even a secondary its probably worth it to buy a real one.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mirconium posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but here goes anyway:

I ended up getting an XPS 17 as a personal computer because I found a decent deal and Lenovo dicked me around for just a little too long for my liking.

So far seems like a pretty good machine (trackpad is so-so but I guess that's just compared to macbooks) , mostly no complaints, but I have a question:

The CPU default settings seem to keep the whole package pretty toasty if you ask it to operate under load. Multithreading to all available cores with Rust/Rayon will push the temps to ~85C. This is cool to have for burst loads, but if I'm number crunching a sustained load, I would rather just keep it a little cooler and go a little slower because I'm worried about longevity; I sometimes need this thing to run at a steady rate for hours on end.

Is there a way to turn the thermal throttling settings DOWN? Like I would prefer that the CPU clock down if it reaches 70-75 C.

I'd do a repaste with some high end stuff like Kyronaut first. You can set the turbo behavior with something like Thottlestop or whatever that Intel utility is called.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lockback posted:

And I don't understand "You'll get more performance but heat won't dissipate". If you hit thermal limits, you are not dumping enough heat.

If a device hits its thermal limits out of the box, there's very little you are going to be able to do on the outside of it to make it not hit the thermal limits. That's the way it was designed.

As far as the tests go, it's really exactly what I said. The first one is one a chassis who's bottom panel is nearly entirely vents. A device like that, of course, will have some benefit of air blowing through those vent holes. The other two tests really aren't worth considering since they are done with ancient 7 year old hardware. They share very little with a modern gaming laptop today.

So, again, if you have a ton of bottom vents or if it's clear that the bottom plate acts as a heatsink for internal components, you could see some benefits of a cooling pad. If your device is designed such that the bottom doesn't get hot and all you have are intakes directly into the internal fans, you probably aren't going to get much benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvKiy65pwg

A pretty comprehensive test using a wide range of modern devices. For the most part, cooling pads offer <2 degrees improvement over just using a stand. In the case of the Blade 17, the cooling pads actually raised the temperature of the laptop.

Any device that was already thermally throttling on the CPU continued to thermal throttle when the cooling pad was in place. It didn't make a bit of difference there.

The two outliers, the Dell G3 and the Lenovo L340 are notable for having more vent area under the device than the fan intakes. The L340, in particular, has vents open directly above the heatpipes, unobstructed by anything else, and therefore saw the best improvement in thermals from the cooling pad.

It's highly device dependent if you are going to see any benefit. For most people and devices, elevation is all you really need.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seamonster posted:

I'd do a repaste with some high end stuff like Kyronaut first. You can set the turbo behavior with something like Thottlestop or whatever that Intel utility is called.

Just be careful where you buy that stuff from. Newegg seems like a minefield with lots of duplicate entries, many of which seem to be selling cheap, fake paste. There are reports of fake paste being sold on Amazon too. If you pick up Kryonaut from Amazon, I recommend looking into the other sellers list and buying only from sellers listed on Thermal Grizzly's website.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have this particular cooling pad and it definitely helps keeps the temp a few degrees cooler which is a definite plus, even ignoring any performance boost.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Here's a weird thing I found on Dell's sale page:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/mpp/productdetail/9cbn

Is this the guts of a 9310 inside the body of a 9380?? It lists an 11th gen i5 but the screen is 13.3" instead of 13.4". Trying to decide if this is anything worth buying.

EDIT: Never mind, not that weird. I guess these are 9305s and have been around for a while.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 13, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: laptop heat

I seriously doubt a cooling pad will have any appreciable difference in the "longevity" whatever that means. I have laptops in the closet that still boot from over a dozen years ago

Adding a regular room fan helps tremendously, especially if it blows air even remotely in the direction of your work area. The pink rubber erasers simply allow decent airflow under the laptop, your room fan is still doing the lions share of the ventilation, but at least with the erasers, you've got 1/4" of moving air underneath, rather than a tiny layer of trapped stagnant air underneath

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mirconium posted:

Use ThrottleStop and set Speed Shift EPP upwards.
You could also try turning your all core turbo multiplier down.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The last time I bothered to build a PC or buy a non Thinkpad was for like Doom 3. With Darktide, Diablo 2 and Battlefield dropping soon I'm interested in grabbing a gaming laptop for general bullshit and getting back into not console gaming. I would also use this device to play some warzone (off an exteral drive). I anticipate setting up my home office around this so it'll be off a dock, pushing the display onto two monitor for general use or one for dedicated gaming. I may carry it around a bit but it doesn't need to be super portable. I would like a dedicated NIC.

Is there anything around 1,000 -1300$ that would let me run Battlefield 2042 on fairly high graphics? I don't think the other games are very demanding. I wouldn't mind bumping to say $1500 but it'd need to be worth it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Waroduce posted:

The last time I bothered to build a PC or buy a non Thinkpad was for like Doom 3. With Darktide, Diablo 2 and Battlefield dropping soon I'm interested in grabbing a gaming laptop for general bullshit and getting back into not console gaming. I would also use this device to play some warzone (off an exteral drive). I anticipate setting up my home office around this so it'll be off a dock, pushing the display onto two monitor for general use or one for dedicated gaming. I may carry it around a bit but it doesn't need to be super portable. I would like a dedicated NIC.

Is there anything around 1,000 -1300$ that would let me run Battlefield 2042 on fairly high graphics? I don't think the other games are very demanding. I wouldn't mind bumping to say $1500 but it'd need to be worth it.

The usual suspects of the Asus G14/G15, Legion, HP Omen. Something with a 3060 would suffice, but I'd maybe consider stretching to a 3070 but that goes above 1500. Of those I like the Asus the best but it tends to be a little more expensive, the Legion is really good too, Omen is probably the best value.

If I were in your shoes I'd get something like this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...p?skuId=6450804

But you can check around to find something that fits.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is the 3060/70 split significant enough to warrant bumping up the price range to snag one or are we entering the realm of diminishing returns? Is it possible to frame the difference between these two for me?

The best buy linked laptop seems quite spot on and I don't mind pulling that trigger if that's a good fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Is the 3060/70 split significant enough to warrant bumping up the price range to snag one or are we entering the realm of diminishing returns? Is it possible to frame the difference between these two for me?

The best buy linked laptop seems quite spot on and I don't mind pulling that trigger if that's a good fit.

Yes, the 60/70 jump is significant and if it's a primary gaming machine it's likely to be "worth it", especially is portability isn't a big thing.. The 70/80 jump is a lot smaller, not analogous to a desktop 70/80 jump, and a 3070 sometimes outperforms a 3080.

But a 3070 is probably at the 1600-1800+ range so yeah, it's a jump

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The 3060 -> 3070 jump is less significant depending upon if it's the Max-P or Max-Q equivalent for each one. A high-powered 3060 isn't going to be that much weaker than a low-powered 3070.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Taerkar posted:

The 3060 -> 3070 jump is less significant depending upon if it's the Max-P or Max-Q equivalent for each one. A high-powered 3060 isn't going to be that much weaker than a low-powered 3070.

What's the better one to have? Max-P or Max-Q? I wouldn't mind buying a high powered 3060. Quick googling indicates that Max-P is preferable as its the full desktop GPU, is that accurate?

This seems to be universally highly recommended and I'm eyeballing it and will probably sleep on it since its above where I'd like to be. I think I may need a monitor that it works with as I have an older one I'm not sure will support the laptop fully. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

I watched a few videos on YouTube of the difference and the 3060 seems pretty close (or my video quality sucks)

Lockback posted:

The usual suspects of the Asus G14/G15, Legion, HP Omen. Something with a 3060 would suffice, but I'd maybe consider stretching to a 3070 but that goes above 1500. Of those I like the Asus the best but it tends to be a little more expensive, the Legion is really good too, Omen is probably the best value.

If I were in your shoes I'd get something like this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...p?skuId=6450804

But you can check around to find something that fits.

I appreciate this recommendation and it's probably where I'll land if I decide to not splurge for the 1850$ one

Apologies if this is a can of worms but AMD CPU's seem to be more highly recommended than intel yes?

As a dumbass follow up question, just to be clear, I can use a 30$ universal dock there's no reason to spend 200$ on a ASUS / Alienware branded dock yea?

I just looked at the warzone install which is nearly 200ish gigs jesus christ, guess I'll be swapping exterals.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3060 Max-P is not the desktop GPU, it's the higher power mobile. It's better performance, but uses more power/generates more heat. They actually retired the max-p/q name, for the 3000 series its entirely what wattage the GPU is using, so for the 3060 its 80 vs 115 watts. Taerkar is right that the jump isn't that big between a 115w 3060 and the similar wattage 3070 but there still is a pretty good perf per watt jump to the 3070. In general I think the 3060 115watt is less desirable than the 3070 and for a long time they were basically the same price, but with prices coming down that might not be as true anymore.

AMD is almost strictly a better CPU. Better perf per watt, better APU (which is nice if you have a power hungry GPU, you can use the APU for a surprising number of games and get a long battery life), better multi-thread perf, cheaper. Intel can still win better single-thread but honestly its really close. Intel's biggest advantage is Thunderbolt.

You can use a universal dock, but generally they are less reliable. If you are running multiple monitors you might have bandwidth issues. But if it works then go nuts. I'd generally google around for your monitor config on specific docks to see any issues people ran into.

Also, confirm Warzone works OK off an external. I'd assuming it tries to stream in content and that might be a bottleneck. I dunno though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

quote:

Intel's biggest advantage is Thunderbolt.

hilarious because true

its crazy what rereleasing teh same chip for the better part of a decade will do

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lockback posted:

3060 Max-P is not the desktop GPU, it's the higher power mobile. It's better performance, but uses more power/generates more heat. They actually retired the max-p/q name, for the 3000 series its entirely what wattage the GPU is using, so for the 3060 its 80 vs 115 watts. Taerkar is right that the jump isn't that big between a 115w 3060 and the similar wattage 3070 but there still is a pretty good perf per watt jump to the 3070. In general I think the 3060 115watt is less desirable than the 3070 and for a long time they were basically the same price, but with prices coming down that might not be as true anymore.

AMD is almost strictly a better CPU. Better perf per watt, better APU (which is nice if you have a power hungry GPU, you can use the APU for a surprising number of games and get a long battery life), better multi-thread perf, cheaper. Intel can still win better single-thread but honestly its really close. Intel's biggest advantage is Thunderbolt.

You can use a universal dock, but generally they are less reliable. If you are running multiple monitors you might have bandwidth issues. But if it works then go nuts. I'd generally google around for your monitor config on specific docks to see any issues people ran into.

Also, confirm Warzone works OK off an external. I'd assuming it tries to stream in content and that might be a bottleneck. I dunno though.

thank you this is a very informative post. some googling shows that the 3070 performs best at approx 200 watts requiring a 500 watt psu which i assume would significantly out perform the ~115watt powered 3060?

I'm leaning more toward splurging on it since that seems to seed me very high re: performance and graphics for the future and I won't need a serious upgrade for a few years....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

^That's the desktop 3070 which will clown a laptop card.

When I was looking to buy a 115w 3060 (Asus Rog Strix G15) was about $100 cheaper (and immediately available) than a 80w 3070 and about $250 cheaper than the 125w 3070.

For those price points the increased cost as a % was a bit greater than the performance, but your tastes may vary.

Also there's now the Asus with the 6800 which is pretty competitive with the 3070. Best Buy has(had?) one.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 14, 2021