Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SCP-1966 "Perpetual Football"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angepain posted:

The tories gain five points in the polls.

If England wins, Boris calls for a snap election tomorrow, carries the euro cup to every public meeting never letting go of it, and gets 95% of the vote.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
loving hell, they have aerial cameras following the loving coach on Sky News atm

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

SCP-1966 "Perpetual Football"

As with all good things in this world, Jon Bois has created something about this concept too, 17776. Which is loving phenomenal.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1414258384279330823

Replace the statue of Churchill with one of this true hero of the English people.

Or maybe just the bloke himself, doing it on the hour.

what is happening here

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Angepain posted:

my prediction: we reach 90 minutes in and nobody scores. Then they try for extra time, and nobody scores. Thirty consecutive free kicks later and nobody scores. The entirety of one team stands on the other edge of the pitch as the other all push the football into the goal. It doesn't go in. None of them can do anything to get the football to go in. They try to concede the match, but their mouths can't form the words. They can't do anything. The fans try to leave, and find all the doors are locked. When they jump out the windows they come back in on the other side. The government is urged into action but Boris Johnson declares that since the place this football is immovably stuck in by forces unknown is in London then it technically means football has, in fact, come home, and so everything is fine actually. The tories gain five points in the polls.

Isn't that the SCP about the basketball match and the fans end up forming tribes and cannibalising each other?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

As a Scot I think the only position here is to support Italy because Scottish television isn't delivered by the people who also deliver Italian TV but apparently forget that, & I absolutely have never told anyone I am above this farce. I'm so far from being above it. And also because if Italy win I don't have to hear that godforsaken song for...sigh, less than 18 months :suicide:

And for the avoidance of doubt, yes, it is absolutely a matter of spite.
That song is never going away. We're cursed to deal with it until the end of time. The only solution is to come up with something better. I think the FA should hire Simon Cowell to produce a patriotic England football song with some of Britain's best loved celebrities. I'm thinking James Corden, Rylan, Amanda Holden, Jack Whitehall, Piers Morgan and Miranda Hart.

Something that would make the world really envious of the type of culture that England is producing, you know? I'd get Boris in the video too, waving a flag around with Carrie.

(for what its worth, I understand the spite that the Scotch have, I'm just loving sick of hearing it from English progressives, because if they don't care thats absolutely fine, I'm just fed up of hearing them tell me how little they care)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If England wins then they won’t be able to sing Football’s Coming Home because it’ll have come home already.

On balance I’d like England to win. The team
and manager seem decent and the country will be overall happier. But I don’t care that much. I probably won’t watch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh well we tried and the lads took us further than we’ve been in decades. Good practice for the World Cup.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

what is happening here

the big lad is bumping keys to widespread acclaim

e: or maybe he's eating a scoop of ice cream from one of those tiny tubs you get at the cinema

kecske fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Isn't that the SCP about the basketball match and the fans end up forming tribes and cannibalising each other?

Thats a good one, but its a video tape of a bb match if iirc

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

what is happening here

bums and willys

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Imagine thinking football hasn't come home yet despite all your games being at Wembley.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As with all good things in this world, Jon Bois has created something about this concept too, 17776. Which is loving phenomenal.

I have read that and it is pretty good yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Thats a good one, but its a video tape of a bb match if iirc

If I remember right it's a video of a match and the people in it relive the events with memory every time it is played.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I must admit it would incredibly funny if after all this build-up England got a 2014 World Cup Final style hammering and lost by something ridiculous like 9-0

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I must admit it would incredibly funny if after all this build-up England got a 2014 World Cup Final style hammering and lost by something ridiculous like 9-0
See I was thinking Italy going 1-0 up within like the first three minutes and then parking the bus so well that England can't get through the midfield would be the funniest outcome. Like they have 80% possession and the only shot on goal is the goal itself.

Just an utterly tedious anti-climax that no one remembers except Italy and ecven they're a bit like eh.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm quite fond of 'Three Lions' being the totem of English football ambition, because the saccarine original brings with it the existence of 'Three Lions 98' which is a song of true desperation. It even references a 0-0 draw with Italy!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ThomasPaine posted:

the final was a really tense 1-0 with germany scoring in the second half of extra time

it was the brazil v germany semi where there were four goals in the time it took to get the mid-first-half rounds in, and every newspaper in brazil had an absolutely normal one in response

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

Unfortunately it's coming home but id also enjoy seeing this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

There are so many hilarious possible outcomes but I think the funniest, by far, would be if the queen dies just before the winning goal and every single channel has to cut away from the football and the entire country then enters a collective, months-long dissonance between sad-patriotism and happy-patriotism

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Penalties will murder my dad.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Spangly A posted:

the final was a really tense 1-0 with germany scoring in the second half of extra time

it was the brazil v germany semi where there were four goals in the time it took to get the mid-first-half rounds in, and every newspaper in brazil had an absolutely normal one in response

Ahhh yes, I forget it was the semi, still one of the funniest things I've ever seen

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they would totally keep quiet about it for a few days if majesty are boys queen died

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There are so many hilarious possible outcomes but I think the funniest, by far, would be if the queen dies just before the winning goal and every single channel has to cut away from the football and the entire country then enters a collective, months-long dissonance between sad-patriotism and happy-patriotism

This would be good too, the news not even being able to report on the result as it goes wall to wall Planned Royal Coverage

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1414241047883001856

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they would just say she had a cold or had hosed off to margate for a mini break she won from take a break magazine or that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Spangly A posted:

I was watching BRA-DEU at a bar in Heidelberg, and lol'ing at the absolute state of Brazil until I was shushed by my table of German colleagues because they had scored too many goals and didn't want to look like bad winners (?). WW2 really did a number on their collective psychology

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fun to see this happen to one of their own cities instead of Rome or Glasgow or Athens or Kiev or Warsaw or Vienna or Paris etc

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was watching BRA-DEU at a bar in Heidelberg, and lol'ing at the absolute state of Brazil until I was shushed by my table of German colleagues because they had scored too many goals and didn't want to look like bad winners (?). WW2 really did a number on their collective psychology

nationalism without gloating is a pretty normal thing for a country that isn't an absolute state, I'm pretty sure more people than just Orwell have done bits about how the english only make war songs about massive defeats like Waterloo or Light Brigade, and competent retreats like Dunkirk. You only sing about the overwhelming victories of powerful nation states when you've lost to them yourself (like Come Out ye Black and Tans).

I'm sure someone itt will know if "two world wars and one world cup" was a thing before thatcher

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is the funniest possibility that I would never have even considered.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/psmithXI/status/1414263282895106052

https://twitter.com/MichelleOwen7/status/1414268353296965637

Comedy option: The match gets postponed due to gatecrashers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the marxism squad can give the queen a heart attack out of shame that might make me like football.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/misy_utd/status/1414264123974725640?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can but only after you have run out of fireworks.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Gonna watch a football on the telly and be very glad that I'm not in London

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'd be delighted if everyone expressed their nationalism by smashing the poo poo out of rich people's toys instead of local restaurants

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PaulBrown_UK/status/1414271860070653952

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1414272439182405632

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1414275420967612421

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/1414269777326088198?s=19

Lol