Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, can't wait for their article about how the Trail of Tears was a nice gentle hike.

A whole hell of a lot.

Gentlemen: BEHOLD:

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1413235392749477892?s=20

I'm the mask the dying dude is holding up

Twelve by Pies posted:

Then I had to hear a bit of Fox News, where they were attacking Biden for "rushing to get us out of Afghanistan" and how now the Taliban is taking over and terrorism is winning due to Biden foolishly pulling us out.

I thought Trump was the one that signed the surrender papers so we could heroically give up a few years ago

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought that, while in practice both are fascist shitbirds, Zuck was legitimately 'non-political' (IE: pro capitalism, pro status-quo, and doesn't care who gives him money) idiot who thought hands-off and tech solutions were viable answers, while Jack was the actual cryptofascist who just happened to have personal beef with Trump?

Yeah, it's a give and take dichotomy between them. The machine that Zuck created is doing more pervasive and long term harm overall, but on an interpersonal level Jack is the more actively evil of the two and only takes action on matters when it effects him, Jack Dorsey, directly. Like when Alex Jones followed Jack around Capitol Hill for nine hours personally screaming into his ear while Jack spent the day testifying before Congress (a solid month after every other internet platform banned Jones from their service). Or when Trump orchestrated an attempted coup against the legitimate government of the United States using Twitter as one of the means to incite said coup attempt and Jack realized his money might be in a bit of trouble if he allowed Trump to continue to be able to use his platform to plan more coups.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reposting the classic McNaughton because Iol every time I see JFK and GWB.

I can't but imagine them sharing some probably racist remarks on then "new" JFK B-rock. It's the way Kennedy looks more baffled than sad or angry.

I also really love how the eye is drawn to Nixon instead of the sad guy or the constitution, and how he actually bothered to paint and sort every single forgettable shitbird. How many americans can even name Millard Fillmore or Rutherford Hayes?

e: also it's bizarre how competent but bad his paintings are. I'm no artist but the dude in the foreground looks like he'd dwarf Lincoln.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 11, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Like Woodrow Wilson would ever be on Obama's side.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: also it's bizarre how competent but bad his paintings are. I'm no artist but the dude in the foreground looks like he'd dwarf Lincoln.

No figure looms larger in the mind of the conservative than the Beknighted American White Male

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Love a standing FDR.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ILL Machina posted:

Love a standing FDR.

He got healed by Satan for doing a communism.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Its the bench legs perspective that gets me.
Its too small, seems to be bending backwards on Lincolns side, as if it was drawn correctly Lincoln would be humping it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate the hands. It's very "oh every detail is RICH with SYMBOLIC MEANING" school and it gets under my skin

Observe the tangent of the finger creating an implied line to GEORGE WASHINGTON

Also I guess JFK will just fuckin' point

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't but imagine them sharing some probably racist remarks on then "new" JFK B-rock. It's the way Kennedy looks more baffled than sad or angry.

I also really love how the eye is drawn to Nixon instead of the sad guy or the constitution, and how he actually bothered to paint and sort every single forgettable shitbird. How many americans can even name Millard Fillmore or Rutherford Hayes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

George Washington like "who dressed up that slave in a suit and tie" and "why is this destitute Irish layabout slacking on a park bench instead of selling himself and his family into indentured servitude where he can do a good hard day's work in the sight of the Lord"

Reagan like "my work here is done"

Lincoln real pissed that he freed the slaves but they didn't go back to Africa

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I enjoy Clinton, FDR, and Teddy applauding the Obungler stepping on the Constitution.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
There it is

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1413990753815117831

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somehow i don’t think Beck is actually upset with WW2 Japanese internment and was making the point that liberals are going to put conservatives in camps

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somehow i don’t think Beck is actually upset with WW2 Japanese internment and was making the point that liberals are going to put conservatives in camps

Pretty much the only time any conservative brings up any historical wrongdoing perpetrated by the American government is to imply that straight white Christian males are next. It's the unspoken paradox of the "Patriot" movement - they will fight to the death to defend the honor of America, an institution that actively wants to kill them and their families to bring in more gay Somalians or whatever.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Without context it looks like all the white guys on the left are going "Why would some black man be able to wear nice clothes while the white American is left depressed and worn down on a bench" while the white guys on the very right are applauding the other white guys for such an awakening question of the poor white American vs the minority hoardes

Also the irony of conservatives upset Obama ignored the constitution somehow while cheering on an orange idiot that figuratively wiped his rear end with it. Shouldn't be surprised, they cheered him on when he told them to drink bleach, and when he told them to commit an insurrection to end democracy

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 11, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The best McNaughton is that one edit with Cthulhu.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

He looks like a heart attack with feet

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SocketWrench posted:

I thought Trump was the one that signed the surrender papers so we could heroically give up a few years ago

Yep, Trump said that the war in Afghanistan was pointless and killing too many Americans and wanted us out, in fact he fired Mark Esper because Esper pushed back on Trump trying to get us out of there faster. Some chuds even praised Trump for agreeing to get the US out of there, Ben Garrison was one. It is probably the only good thing he did during his presidency, but now that Biden has taken over they have to frame it as Biden's fault that we're leaving and as if he's responsible for the pullout.

e:
Ah yes, who could forget those great Founding Fathers, Washington, *squints* Jefferspix, and Uhcolh.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 11, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

His life long idol has been Orson Welles. Not Orson Welles the talented actor and director, but Orson Welles the unscrupulous con artist. The Orson Welles who did the War of the Worlds radio drama presenting it as a legitimate news reporting on an alien invasion knowing full well it would scare the poo poo out of basically anyone who listened to it.

wernt there multiple commercials and poo poo saying it was one? like i am pretty sure it was a couple people panicked and then went through the grapevine and became "everyone panicked".

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also the oppressed white man looks and is dressed like ethan winters from the new RE games. so maybe its understandable why he feels the way he does.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wernt there multiple commercials and poo poo saying it was one? like i am pretty sure it was a couple people panicked and then went through the grapevine and became "everyone panicked".

Part of the issue was that Mercury Radio Theater was unsponsored at the time, so there was an announcement explaining what War of the Worlds was at the beginning, but the first part of the program (with the news bulletins that supposedly set off the panic) ran for about 40 minutes without any interruptions, so anyone who missed the start of the show could have mistaken it for a live broadcast.

You're absolutely right that the amount of panic it supposedly set off has likely been exaggerated over the years, and while something like 27% of the letters CBS received afterwards mentioned being deceived, very few of those mention anything like leaving the house or panicking, so the most likely situation is that a decent number of people were mislead or possibly frightened, but the vast majority of them figured out the broadcast was fiction after a few minutes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

LimburgLimbo posted:

Interesting how it seems to (according to evidence of a handful of wiki quotes, for all that's worth) have started out as a truly traditionally conservative publication, to the point it even went against the modern GOP's bullshit, but of course over time and from the allure of website hits, adjusted it's stance significantly.

The internet was indeed a mistake.
I think it's important to look at who the "traditional conservatives" that founded it were, and why they objected to the GWB administration.

Founder #1: Pat Buchanan - He objected to the GWB administration because he thought the Iraq War was puppet-mastered by Israel/The Global Jewish Cabal, and all that effort should be put towards keeping America a white Christian ethnostate, not intervening globally.

Founder #2 : Taki Theodoracopulos - A dude writing in the UK press about how black and brown people are inferior to the White Man since the 1970s, encouraging neo-Nazi parties in Europe, hiring Richard Spencer to edit his spin-off magazine Taki's Mag, guiding the political awakening of Gavin McInnes, etc. etc. His position appeared to be that the US should be invading Saudi Arabia, and Iran, and Israel, and Syria, and Jordan, and anywhere else that Islam or Judaism exist to wipe them out.

Founder #3: Scott McConnell - Probably the closest thing to a "traditional conservative" of the bunch, a New York Post/National Review editor who cut loose Buchanan, Taki, Richard Spencer (who Taki quickly picked up) in 2004, and then in the ensuing decade+ let the whole thing drift more towards mainstream conservative media.

So at least 2/3 of the American Conservative attacked Bush/Iraq on the principle that he wasn't focusing on keeping America white, which is pretty far from something you've got to give them credit for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edge & Christian posted:

So at least 2/3 of the American Conservative attacked Bush/Iraq on the principle that he wasn't focusing on keeping America white, which is pretty far from something you've got to give them credit for.

Yes, this is really important to remember. Pat Buchanan and other "paleoconservative" shitheads weren't against the Iraq War because it was a stupid and open-ended bit of imperialism that would destabilize the entire Middle East, they were against it because it didn't strike a blow against the Perfidious Others™ who were Ruining America™. The most you can say for them is they managed to get the right answer despite completely mangling the arithmetic.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's important to look at who the "traditional conservatives" that founded it were, and why they objected to the GWB administration.

Founder #1: Pat Buchanan - He objected to the GWB administration because he thought the Iraq War was puppet-mastered by Israel/The Global Jewish Cabal, and all that effort should be put towards keeping America a white Christian ethnostate, not intervening globally.

Founder #2 : Taki Theodoracopulos - A dude writing in the UK press about how black and brown people are inferior to the White Man since the 1970s, encouraging neo-Nazi parties in Europe, hiring Richard Spencer to edit his spin-off magazine Taki's Mag, guiding the political awakening of Gavin McInnes, etc. etc. His position appeared to be that the US should be invading Saudi Arabia, and Iran, and Israel, and Syria, and Jordan, and anywhere else that Islam or Judaism exist to wipe them out.

Founder #3: Scott McConnell - Probably the closest thing to a "traditional conservative" of the bunch, a New York Post/National Review editor who cut loose Buchanan, Taki, Richard Spencer (who Taki quickly picked up) in 2004, and then in the ensuing decade+ let the whole thing drift more towards mainstream conservative media.

lol oof I was much too optimistic

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Apparently Gutfield just said on Fox that Biden was a "pathological, shameless liar"

Holy poo poo the projection.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrUnderbridge posted:

Apparently Gutfield just said on Fox that Biden was a "pathological, shameless liar"

I think you meant Gutfield!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Joe Biden: pathological liar who also is so braindead he has to be lead around to stay out of his own grave.
Honestly surprised no one is bringing up George Soros

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Joe Biden: pathological liar who also is so braindead he has to be lead around to stay out of his own grave.
I'm pretty sure they do from time to time

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Well, I mean, he's not wrong, but yeah, Gutfield is awful.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Is gutfield the one who argues that because ivy league women won't date conservatives, it proves that they represent an ideology of autocratic despots who would burn the constitution? or am i getting my tarpit-brained epistemophobic mendacities confused again?

fake edit: oh poo poo right gutfield is the one with the lasagna and mondays

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm sorry, Jon. The liberals banned your lasagna

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrUnderbridge posted:

hosed up if true. We need to have some standards here, god dammit.

HootTheOwl posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't heard that name in a while. Guess he's been laying low doing inflation and raising gas prices or something

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Out driving today I saw a place flying that lovely Thin Blue Line flag, and beside it was another flag that was identical except the stripe was red or orange (it was hard to tell). I'm guessing it's for firefighters or something?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Out driving today I saw a place flying that lovely Thin Blue Line flag, and beside it was another flag that was identical except the stripe was red or orange (it was hard to tell). I'm guessing it's for firefighters or something?
Yeah. It’s dumb.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Twelve by Pies posted:

There are a bunch of them. I've seen plenty of Blue and Red. Looked up this list when I saw a Gold.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I am puking my eyes out

Ocular crime

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's all fascism to me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We get a ton of rainbow thin blue line flags here. It's labelled and makes sure to have the cop line in the centre and the background black to make sure you know they're more concerned with being fascists than with the well-being of firefighters, EMTs, or emergency dispatchers

The labels presumably also serve to make sure they aren't endorsing the queers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Cops seem to like the blue line flag, every other occupation seems to think it's cringe.

Firefighters will sell you an intensely homoeroitic callendar if you're interested tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cops seem to like the blue line flag, every other occupation seems to think it's cringe.

Firefighters will sell you an intensely homoeroitic callendar if you're interested tho.

As usual, firefighters are the real heroes.