Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing this the fault of the recent changes at Nexus?

I wanted to try out EE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh right yeah lol. Which is too bad it'll be shaked out next month at least when the api changes are permanent.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I feel like an idiot, has the method to get archive invalidation working in mod organizer 2 changed? I have "bInvalidateOlderFiles=1" and "sResourceDataDirsFinal=" in both fallout4.ini and fallout4custom.ini and it doesn't seem to be working

edit: seemed to start working when I updated mod organizer, nevermind

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 11, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oh my god, i didn't realize i'd have to manually, one-by-one, click to download every single mod on a wabbajack modlist (because i don't have a premium account)

so many of these are so incremental i'd never have bothered including them myself. e.g., HN66nXAZOMN_FO4_DistinctiveTeeth_V1

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 11, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah premium is required for wabbajack. It's pretty cheap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

looks like it's back to working on my own list, especially since this revealed Magnus Opus includes a bunch of crap I have no interest in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

probably should've asked earlier: is there a general modding guide in the vein of viva new vegas for FO4?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just go to the top 100 list and install everything, surely nothing will go wrong

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Install everything, then troubleshoot, then troubleshoot some more. Modding isn't the thing you do before you play, modding is the game itself.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just installed QWEST! and it's like an entirely new game. I even got premium for one month just to download the 800+ mods for it. There are a lot of little quirks, like how my Xbox gamepad refuses to work with it now(even with GamePad++), and how my character just randomly sits all the time and uses her shield as an umbrella. Also, the game crashes randomly after a couple of hours, and there's no way I'm gonna troubleshoot that with that massive amount of mods.

My son started a new game, first time playing Skyrim, and I just got him the top 30 or so mods that mostly just fix things or improve graphics and he's loving it.

EDIT: Oops this was meant for the Skyrim thread, I had both threads open at the same time, and got confused :)

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know if three's a way to get the FallUI sorter to work with modded content? The subcategory folders are very nice.

And I'm surprised that I can't find a mod that speeds up/removes the workbench animations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know if three's a way to get the FallUI sorter to work with modded content? The subcategory folders are very nice.

And I'm surprised that I can't find a mod that speeds up/removes the workbench animations.

Unfortunately the only way is to learn FO4edit and use the script they used to make FallUI's sorter:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/488260

Thankfully the instructions are pretty clear and it's real simple once you have everything setup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Unfortunately the only way is to learn FO4edit and use the script they used to make FallUI's sorter:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/488260

Thankfully the instructions are pretty clear and it's real simple once you have everything setup.

Thanks, but your link doesn't seem to lead anywhere

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Used my level 10 VANS boost to up my perception and grab Technologist, now I'm able to bust open ice machines and holy piss I'm swimming in garbage now it fuckin rules, the dude who made Horizon knows exactly how to make salvaging poo poo feel good. I do have to get Dogmeat to hold all my tools since I keep dumping them all in the workshop and leaving without a second thought :v:

Plus now that I finally figured it out, Architect is really great. I always hated the lovely busted metal houses I was building in vanilla, so being able to just plonk down a building with foundations, doors, the works is such a time saver

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Thanks, but your link doesn't seem to lead anywhere

Whoops must have been my phone

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48826

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^^thanks

Is Horizon something you mod further, or mostly works as a self contained experience?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have a couple other tiny mods included, but Horizon changes so much that you pretty much have to play it on it's own. Some day I'll finally build this private vertibird :negative:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rinkles posted:

^^thanks

Is Horizon something you mod further, or mostly works as a self contained experience?

It's mostly self contained although there are compatibility patches for popular armor etc. It has a Lot of features you can use or ignore. The one exception is Sim Settlements.

Dunno if the latest Sim Settlements 2 got a proper patch yet but those two together are awesome, go hide in the Springville root cellar while you ask Sim Settlements to generate up some new towns/cities/forts to deal with in the places that usually are empty plots.

Just know that some SS2 expansions/mods that add extra factions are really broken for the rebalance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boston city is basically a lost cause frame rate-wise, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There at least used to be a downtown frame rate mod that tried to fix some of the precombines and helped quite a bit

It was something like Boston fps fix, or other equally normal name

e: apparently this is the new hotness

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/45360

Azhais fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 13, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Other than the Horizon stuff (obviously) and the unofficial patch mod, my Horizon mod setup is a bunch of little stuff like the lever-action reload fix (only animates reloading the number of bullets that you reload, instead of always putting in 5), Everyone's Best Friend, Extended Dialogue Interface, removing the build cap for settlements, and other single-use fixes.

Also Survival Options because saving your game shouldn't give you a chance for a debilitating health-draining disease that's expensive to cure (when you get it early on). I also don't trust a Bethesda game + pile of mods to be stable enough that I don't need to save all the time. Thirdly, removing the console in a single-player game was an asinine decision. I mostly use it to get unstuck, but also Danse's quest is buggy as poo poo if you don't make it your top priority as soon as it starts (and even then, sometimes he just refuses to acknowledge you outside, after everything is dealt with). Being able to tell the game "this is what you're supposed to be doing right now" is a good thing. As far as people consoling in thousands of weight units worth of capacity, so what? It's a single-player game, and those people probably don't want to play a half-assed Survival mode that doesn't even take the good stuff from New Vegas'.

Horizon makes it feel more like a survival game or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (specifically, that first mission where you assault a car park with just a lovely pistol and a bottle of vodka), rather than Water Baron Simulator, which is what 4's Survival mode quickly became (I only got the game after Survival was added and never played any of the lower difficulties but I'm guessing it's much easier to become a rich unstoppable wasteland king/queen). Clean water is a rare and valuable resource, so sometimes you just have to take the rads in order to stay hydrated. Eventually, things start to level off once you get a few perks under your belt and have an ammo bench, but that initial climb is a pretty fun scavver sim, if you like that sort of thing (which I obviously do). :)

edit: I forgot the most important mods: Bullet Time, Load Accelerator, and Delta Wasteland Radio. "Hellhound on my Trail" is perfect for creeping through Far Harbor.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 13, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

beats for junkies posted:

Also Survival Options because saving your game shouldn't give you a chance for a debilitating health-draining disease that's expensive to cure (when you get it early on). I also don't trust a Bethesda game + pile of mods to be stable enough that I don't need to save all the time.

I don't know if it's Horizon or a vanilla feature, but looking at a bed in my game gives an option to sleep but also an option to save. Just using it to save doesn't have the disease risk (or increment your hunger and thirst by 6ish hours).

I still like the consumable quicksave item from Horizon just because there's not always a bed around when you need it and agree completely with what you said about stability.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bremen posted:

I don't know if it's Horizon or a vanilla feature, but looking at a bed in my game gives an option to sleep but also an option to save. Just using it to save doesn't have the disease risk (or increment your hunger and thirst by 6ish hours).

I still like the consumable quicksave item from Horizon just because there's not always a bed around when you need it and agree completely with what you said about stability.

It's definitely a Horizon thing, and also it's wonderful. The caveat is it doesn't work on sleeping bags or mattresses, it has to be a real deal bed. I always keep a stash of four quicksave tapes just in case

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like the "sleep or save" mod. Still requires a sleeping location to save, but avoid the stupid levels of diseases (especially since sleeping for less than 8 hours in fallout seems to make you more tired than staying awake). I've not seen a reason to use items that let you save anywhere. There's only like two areas that don't have a million beds nearby anyway if you know where to look for them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Azhais posted:

There at least used to be a downtown frame rate mod that tried to fix some of the precombines and helped quite a bit

It was something like Boston fps fix, or other equally normal name

e: apparently this is the new hotness

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/45360

I haven't really seen much of a difference with or without the Boston fix. I was testing with a bare bones modlist, mostly ui stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Weird fuckin Horizon question that I dont know if anyone can answer, I need Enhanced Targeting Cards to finally build my own vertibird (different mod), but horizon seems to have changed turrets so I only ever get a single 5.56 bullet from them. I've managed to get like, two from rust devil robots but things were hectic and I didnt see which ones I got them from, anyone know a good way to find them?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It may be a rare salvage component that'll be easier to get with a roboticist perk, but I don't know the real answer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some Assembly Required recommended? I'm one of those people that didn't like that the X-01 would spawn everywhere once you hit a certain level.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I never did much with the vault dlc. Does Sim Settlements utilize it well/at all?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My install isn't hosed, right? Some of the game's base textures are just this low res?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Unless you install the DLC High-res pack which is super-heavy in terms of size and performance, yes, a lot of textures are that low-res up close.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i was gonna try it, but it's 55 gigs and everything i've read about it indicates it's not worth it/hardly does anything

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm pretty sure it was horizon since I never saw anything like it before, but I got a distress call from Oberland Station and figured what the hell, I can plink off four or five dudes, only to find they were being attacked by 15+ rust devils :shepface: Garvey ate poo poo basically instantly but it was a really intense battle and was a ton of fun. It does make me realize theres no way to quick equip all my defense settlers though :negative: Laser muskets for errbody

E: Another thing I cant tell if its horizon or just vanilla behaviour I never saw before, some of the radiant encounters are small groups of Minutemen holding a location and it actually makes the minutemen feel like a real organization. The first time I saw them was before I had any real infrastructure for health stuff, and I was sneaking back to sanctuary from tenpines. Over by the plane crash I hear feral ghouls scrambling, followed by a loud THOOOM. I'm like ":confused: That's a laser musket, what the hell?" And when I investigate I find five minutemen had cleared out the plane crash entirely :unsmith: Great work fellas

Danaru fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 20, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rinkles posted:

i was gonna try it, but it's 55 gigs and everything i've read about it indicates it's not worth it/hardly does anything

yeah it's a massive amount of space and load time and lowered overall stability imo, for the privilege of sometimes seeing sharper rust textures on a car you're sprinting past at 50 mph

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rinkles posted:

You could find some optimized texture overhauls on the nexus that use the HQ textures, but optimized.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

I never did much with the vault dlc. Does Sim Settlements utilize it well/at all?

It's basically just like any other settlement, nothing special added by Sim Settlements.

I would recommend finishing the questline first before building up anything if you do decide to go for it.

Another thing to keep in mind is this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12997/?tab=files

It disables molerats and radscorps tunneling/teleporting. For some people the teleporting just straight up breaks the game. It causes saving to softlock the game and leaving the area interior causes CTD. For me it did all that and gently caress the Vault 88 questline because they're points where people are scripted to move and they would just stand there. It can apparently also happen in Vault 81 and the worms in Nuka World can cause it too, but that's a separate mod in the comments or a quick edit in xEdit. Granted you might not run into it, but just in case you do run into issues.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The 55GB can be used to get a 8k texture on a single gun instead. The gun is 5gb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's basically just like any other settlement, nothing special added by Sim Settlements.

I would recommend finishing the questline first before building up anything if you do decide to go for it.

Another thing to keep in mind is this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12997/?tab=files

It disables molerats and radscorps tunneling/teleporting. For some people the teleporting just straight up breaks the game. It causes saving to softlock the game and leaving the area interior causes CTD. For me it did all that and gently caress the Vault 88 questline because they're points where people are scripted to move and they would just stand there. It can apparently also happen in Vault 81 and the worms in Nuka World can cause it too, but that's a separate mod in the comments or a quick edit in xEdit. Granted you might not run into it, but just in case you do run into issues.

Oh, nice. This should fix the problems I was having in the basement of the pub with Drinking Buddy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

I'm pretty sure it was horizon since I never saw anything like it before, but I got a distress call from Oberland Station and figured what the hell, I can plink off four or five dudes, only to find they were being attacked by 15+ rust devils :shepface: Garvey ate poo poo basically instantly but it was a really intense battle and was a ton of fun. It does make me realize theres no way to quick equip all my defense settlers though :negative: Laser muskets for errbody

You should be able to equip specific classes of resources for your citizens to defend themselves, or let the game pick for you. You get an extra menu while sneaking I think to equip them. I thought that was a Horizon feature, but maybe it was a Sim Settlements one?

And I vaguely recall there's a way to arm all of them at once too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chronojam posted:

You should be able to equip specific classes of resources for your citizens to defend themselves, or let the game pick for you. You get an extra menu while sneaking I think to equip them. I thought that was a Horizon feature, but maybe it was a Sim Settlements one?

And I vaguely recall there's a way to arm all of them at once too.

The crouch to equip is definitely Horizon, if theres a way to equip classes instead of just people, I havent found it yet :(

I recently found out that the reason i could only salvage machines and vehicles sometimes is because the prompt wont show up if something is looking for you :frogdunce: hot drat I'm dumb sometimes