Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vasler posted:

1. How do I get a reliable source of chemfuel to make mortar shells? Train up a bunch of boomalopes?

2. Is it a good idea to set up a killbox once I have autoturrets researched or are normal bog-standard turrets sufficient?

3. Is it ever possible to manufacture components? I've been cranking out poo poo tons of joints, beer and yayo and selling it to buy components but ye god they're expensive.

4. I just research flak stuff. Should I start building outfits of flak armour? I also have devilstrand (or whatever it's called) that I can make into equipment. What's a good complement of clothing to use?

5. I'm researching the gas weapons right now (LMGs and such). When I finish it, should I transition exclusively (assuming I have the materials) to these types of weapons?

6. When is it actually feasible/advisable to use mortars? I have like 20 chemfuel and 3 explosive mortars so its gonna be tough.
1. Boomalopes, or chemfuel refinery, or just trade for it. Chemfuel is basically free, since it comes from boomalopes or you can turn wood directly into it, you'll never have problems getting some.

2. You're overthinking killboxes. Here's a perfectly good one:

Walls to funnel them into one entrance, floor so nothing can grow to give them cover, traps to discourage anything trying to get into melee, and my dudes way at the other end, behind cover, shooting at people who are out in the open. That's all you need.

Also, don't expect too much out of turrets. They're slow, inaccurate, and fragile. They have uses and can definitely act as force multipliers, but they're not going to guard your base for you.

3. Yeah, but it's way up the tech tree.

4. Always build the best armor you can for combat. Devilstrand dusters and hats are superb and will give your guys a wide range of damage protections and temperature tolerances.

5. Guns > not guns. Always keep your dudes equipped with the best weaponry you can. Keep in mind that weapons don't get the Tainted debuff, so every dead raider pack is a resupply pod.

6. Mortars are for static enemies who are content to sit outside your walls loving with you but not assaulting. I use them for psychic/defoliator ships, although with those since the mechs are asleep until you do a hostile act, it's feasible to walk up, build defensive fortifications, then just shoot 'em all -- but I like the safety of my walls and my killbox. The most important thing mortars are for is for when raiders come to set up a siege. If you don't have mortars to discourage 'em with, you've got to assault them, and dislodging sieges with your face will cost you a lot of dead colonists.

You want to build mortars before you need them. One or two is fine, you can build more later and/or salvage the ones the raiders bring (if you don't explode 'em in your shelling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

It’s even easier to make lavish meals and stuff people so silly they’re happy from the sheer amount of food they’re eating

Hell, relateable.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for all the advice, everyone, you're all super helpful!

My first attempt at a killbox is on the lower left. I'll remove my water generator since everyone attacks it all the time anyway. I'll also close up the holes on the right side of my base and right beside the water generator.

If I stick a bunch of traps down and wood floor is it okay for a first attempt? I'll have three autoturrets, the traps and soon, some chain shotguns, LMGs, heavy SMGs and one sniper.

I'm getting pretty large raids now, thanks to (I think) some random quest that gave me like 1500 gold for some reason.

I can research jump packs right now, but I haven't.

I'm really low on steel so I need to somehow get more. Researching deep mining will get me there?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I've seen a few mods try to solve the issue of raiders sending endless human wave attacks with no regard for losses, but they inevitably end up making the game way easier. Stuff like giving an abstract resource that is consumed by factions when they send raids, and being able to affect it by destroying outposts. Neat idea but tricky to implement.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Leal posted:

Hell, relateable.

bro my life the last year has been hellish and cooking absurd amounts of high quality food from meal kit services has been the literal only thing that has held my psyche together at times. last week i was in a good mood for all of tuesday, wednesday, and thursday because i made steak and shrimp with jasmine rice and roasted zucchini and i stretched out the meals over two days. the experience was so good that i was in a good mood for almost 36 hours after i finished the last serving.

lavish meal buffs are extremely real and i don't gently caress with it at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

bro my life the last year has been hellish and cooking absurd amounts of high quality food from meal kit services has been the literal only thing that has held my psyche together at times. last week i was in a good mood for all of tuesday, wednesday, and thursday because i made steak and shrimp with jasmine rice and roasted zucchini and i stretched out the meals over two days. the experience was so good that i was in a good mood for almost 36 hours after i finished the last serving.

lavish meal buffs are extremely real and i don't gently caress with it at all.

During a poo poo period of my life I was buried under nearly constant crushing anxiety and migraines and treatments weren't really working; I was skipping my college classes, had lost my job, all that poo poo. One day, on a class day, I was hungry as hell and had no food in the house, so on a whim I decided to try out a local sandwich shop that had just opened and got their daily special that day, which was a homemade brisket sandwich on fresh-baked bread.

It was like I had downed a magic potion. It didn't make my problems go away, but it put me in such a good mood that I finished out my classes for the week and honestly probably saved my semester.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Razakai posted:

I've seen a few mods try to solve the issue of raiders sending endless human wave attacks with no regard for losses, but they inevitably end up making the game way easier. Stuff like giving an abstract resource that is consumed by factions when they send raids, and being able to affect it by destroying outposts. Neat idea but tricky to implement.

Why would you want them to stop? :confused: They’re delivering fresh slaves and organs directly to your door.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So that I build more realistic looking defenses.

Combining that with Self Preservation mod again seems more realistic, but also makes the game easier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to add something to make fights more realistic you might also like suppression though I don't know if it's going to be updated for 1.3

Works pretty well though, pawns get increasing levels of slowdown and modifiers to their size class, which makes them harder to hit, the more they get shot at. Makes crowd control and automatic fire quite significant.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Since seeing how others build their bases is a good way to learn, here's my setup:

I always seem to default to compound/small town bases. Yes it's far less efficient, and mine in particular involves a lot more walking than needed, but it grew organically over time, especially when the first warehouse ran out of space. Note the proto killbox design in the lower right.

Long-term goals involve adding a second and third layer to all the walls and draining the marshes when I research moisture pumps. Also getting around to fully replacing all the wood walls from the initial landing.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 11, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how do you get peoples organs without the whole colony freaking? do you just have a black site surgery center where a psychopath with high medical skills does the deed?

or do they still all magically know?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's one way to do it.

Another is to use the organ proceeds to have everyone permanently snorting coke off their personal gold toilet seats so they just don't care anymore. Or you could wait for the new expansion which seems like it will allow you to enforce colony wide morality takes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Alternating psychite tea and beer cancels out… 2 organ removals? And alternating means you probably won’t see addictions.

For the colonists, not the prisoner.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I wish it'd track what you used the organ for.

If you sold it then yeah, they should be upset. If you installed it on one of your colonists, especially if there was something wrong with the organ that was replaced, they should be less upset.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It goes in the vast organ hoard with the rest of them.

It's like the box of misc cables you dont want to throw out in case one is useful except it's organs.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Here's my latest base, it was an experiment in designing a killbox-less base that's still defensible.

There is no open path to the base itself, so the raiders will individually dig at a random bit of wall. The double wall makes it incredibly unlikely that they will ever get trough, since non-sappers will target another random bit of wall when they manage to break down the first, and there is a vanishingly small chance that that will be the inner layer that is exposed. The corner rooms that stick out are bunkers with embrasures covering all the walls, the purpose is not to shoot at incoming raiders (The outward embrasures are mostly to shoot manhunters), but to cover the walls and kill anyone digging at them, while being protected from any other angle. You can shoot at any part of the walls while being protected.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if we're fuckin around w enfilade, we should really do star forts huh

really the depiction of melee effectiveness is more compatible w renaissance era guns than spacer guns

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

3 years ago already.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Since seeing how others build their bases is a good way to learn, here's my setup:

I always seem to default to compound/small town bases. Yes it's far less efficient, and mine in particular involves a lot more walking than needed, but it grew organically over time, especially when the first warehouse ran out of space. Note the proto killbox design in the lower right.

Long-term goals involve adding a second and third layer to all the walls and draining the marshes when I research moisture pumps. Also getting around to fully replacing all the wood walls from the initial landing.

i've been working with a bit of a hybrid this time around wherein i have a central 'great hall' that is basically a 15x15 freezer/kitchen/butchery area, a 15x15 main warehouse area, and a 30x15 integrated workshop/rec room/dining area. everything else is handled compound style on the periphery.

i'm pretty excited with how it's working so far, most of a pawn's time is spent in the great hall, where the large indoor space does multi-duty with 'spacious interior', 'impressive rec room', 'impressive dining room', etc. it's causing inspirations in my second and third quadrums even while folks are eating nutrient paste. really looking forward to seeing how it works after i get steel flooring down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kafouille posted:

Here's my latest base, it was an experiment in designing a killbox-less base that's still defensible.

There is no open path to the base itself, so the raiders will individually dig at a random bit of wall. The double wall makes it incredibly unlikely that they will ever get trough, since non-sappers will target another random bit of wall when they manage to break down the first, and there is a vanishingly small chance that that will be the inner layer that is exposed. The corner rooms that stick out are bunkers with embrasures covering all the walls, the purpose is not to shoot at incoming raiders (The outward embrasures are mostly to shoot manhunters), but to cover the walls and kill anyone digging at them, while being protected from any other angle. You can shoot at any part of the walls while being protected.

This is still exploiting the dumb AI just as much as a killbox! :argh:

Jokes aside, it's a neat design and I can see it working extremely well up until you get to the endgame giga-raids. I'm honestly surprised you don't run into issues with the single-layered doors; traditionally I've had huge issues in the past with raiders punching down my outer wall doors due to doors' lovely HP.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There’s definitely a reason that the preferred reaction from rank and file soldiers to the idea of assaulting a star fort was to shoot the officer suggesting it before anyone else heard.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Kanos posted:

During a poo poo period of my life I was buried under nearly constant crushing anxiety and migraines and treatments weren't really working; I was skipping my college classes, had lost my job, all that poo poo. One day, on a class day, I was hungry as hell and had no food in the house, so on a whim I decided to try out a local sandwich shop that had just opened and got their daily special that day, which was a homemade brisket sandwich on fresh-baked bread.

It was like I had downed a magic potion. It didn't make my problems go away, but it put me in such a good mood that I finished out my classes for the week and honestly probably saved my semester.

Whole body Malnutrition (trivial)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

There’s definitely a reason that the preferred reaction from rank and file soldiers to the idea of assaulting a star fort was to shoot the officer suggesting it before anyone else heard.

you were supposed to construct contravallation (counter-fortifications) and then trenches parallel to the walls and then saps (zigzagging offensive trenches), the saps are so narrow the enfilade fire cant get to it and then you make another parallel closer

this was so predictable in the 1600s that the siege of maastricht the assault of which, which was executed by vauban, who basically reinvented the star fortress, was scheduled by vauban to end on the day louis 14 would arrive to make the king look awesome

no fuckin trenches sxcept in the mods. siege contravallations in rinworld kinda suck, in many successful sieges they were comparable in effort expended to the actual fortifications if temporary

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 12, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Looking at everyone's bases, it seems my strategy of 'always build by hollowing out the inside of a giant mountain' is not as popular as I thought it would be.

I guess I do waste a lot of time digging each time I build a room.

Also the bugs aren't that great, once they come. Though I keep my base well lit so they're less of a problem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I tried mountain bases and found the bugs too tedious, I'd rather deal with drop pod raids

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

great hall is shaping up fantastic. note all the moods of the regulars. a nontrivial part of that is them having beautiful surroundings + impressive rec room + impressive dining room, etc. it's like +25.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BULBASAUR posted:

I tried mountain bases and found the bugs too tedious, I'd rather deal with drop pod raids

Tried an icesheet mountain base, since bugs can't spawn below -18C but discovered that just makes every bad event a mech raid. Except this was like 0.19? and mostly unmodded so it ended up being a tradeoff of completely skipping easily-trivialized threats to turn rimworld into a hellish unwinnable meatgrinder slog of everyone being too perpetually braindamaged/depressed/insane to accomplish more than marginal subsistence between meltdowns and beatings. :v:

yeah yeah, my monitor is on

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

You can just freeze the bugs away, or just keep everything but your grow area frozen and your grow area ready to freeze.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I decided in my last run to turn off standard infestations. I like mountain bases aesthetically, but standard infestations are either devastating if you've not geared up appropriately (i.e. have 3 geared melee pawns with almost whatever in the back), or completely trivial with gear/infestation location baiting/psycasts (but annoying). At least with drop pods there's not a way to bait them to an area, but eventually even with mountain bases you can specially craft a side room to make the vast majority of your infestations happen there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

.... So deep storage updated and now all my walls built near a storage item has loving imploded.

I cannot loving believe this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

Ideology adds social roles and rituals
How your colony can throw sick parties and human meat feasts
Welcome back! I’m Tia, and I’m here to bring you more Ideology preview info while we wait for the big release day.

Today, I’m talking about Ideology’s new social roles and rituals. I’m also including another UI shot since everyone loved Spacer Manporkism so much in the reveal announcement. You can wish list Ideology on its store page here!

Social roles

We’ve all had that one favourite colonist. The soldier who made it through hell and back, the medic capable of defying death, the one guy who refuses to do anything useful and spends most of the day binging on insect meat due to lack of tables…

Now you can make use of your colonists’ special strengths by assigning them formal social roles. Each belief system in Ideology defines a roles that believers can take on.

There are three categories of roles:

The leader
role can only be assigned to one colonist. Leaders give inspirational speeches, buff combat allies around them, encourage harder work, and play a special role in some rituals. They can even accuse prisoners or colonists of crimes. If they successfully prosecute the defendant in a trial you can punish the accused without social consequence. (Whether the accusations are true or false is up to you.)

The moral guide
role can be assigned once for each belief system which is represented by at least three colonists. Moral guides support the mental well-being and spiritual strength of your people, and lead many rituals including funerals, sacrifices, and more. They can preach health to the sick to speed up healing, provide counsel to sad colonists to lift their moods, reassure believers that they are correct, and convert non-believers to their own belief system.

Finally, the specialist
roles can be assigned to any number of believers. There are a variety of specialist role types - one for each skill. Specialists are better at their primary skill, and also gain a unique ability related to that skill. As a tradeoff, specialists become more focused on their specific skill and won’t do some other work. Different belief systems each have a specialist type related to their core beliefs. For example, a colony of darkness-worshipping tunnelers will probably have a specialist role focused on mining.

Colonists with social roles will want a change of appearance to suit their position. They may ask for elegant capes, creepy visage masks, solemn hoods, painful torture crowns, or anything else to set themselves apart according to their traditions.

Rituals

Celebrate your colony’s unique belief system by holding rituals. These player-controlled events are special gatherings that have a variety of impacts depending on how they are carried out, and really contribute to the story of your colony.

You can hold somber funerals for fallen soldiers, quell rebellious behaviour with public executions, pit slaves and prisoners against one another in vicious gladiator duels, host parties in dance halls or drum circles or around Christmas trees, set hated effigies on fire to watch them burn, or breathe in smokeleaf fumes from a giant bong. There are also scrumptious feasts of human meat, ceremonial blindings and scarifications, skylantern festivals on moonlit nights, and majestic trees with creatures inside of them.

How a ritual plays out depends on the circumstances - who is there (and what roles they hold), the quality of the room it takes place in, the equipment and buildings available, and so on. For example, colonists can have fun at a dance party with just a few people outdoors by clapping and stamping feet. But if you build them a giant nightclub with speakers, a lightball and a richly-decorated room they’ll have more fun and get better outcomes. Early-game rituals are less demanding than those in the late game, so you’ll get benefits at every stage.

Participants that have a good time will leave with mood boosts, and if the ritual was truly spectacular, there may be additional bonuses. We’re talking unlocked psychic powers, new recruits, improved goodwill with your neighbours, and locations of treasure-filled ancient complexes. At the same time, certain rituals may upset spectators and cause a mood deficit - it depends on their personal beliefs.

More on the way

That’s it for now! I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and have gotten a chance to try the 1.3 beta. Remember to wish list Ideology on the Steam store page. You can also read the original 1.3 update and Ideology announcement here.

And we'd love if you joined the discussion on Reddit!

Bye bye!

Tia

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You stored too greedily, too deeply

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tag yorself im high narco-christianity

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:sickos:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m fourteen ducks posed before a village, while three lawyers look on menacingly in the background, symbolizing regret, and depicted by the arrangement of thousands of tiny alphabeavers. I refer to the time Duck 8 contracted Plague in Septober of 5503

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Leal posted:

.... So deep storage updated and now all my walls built near a storage item has loving imploded.

I cannot loving believe this

Prolly found this out already, but unsubscribe from steam, then manually install the 1.2 version of the mod. Had to do it myself earlier, but it fixes things.

Also god dammit, I got this game because of your LP and do you realise how much of my free time you've sucked up?!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a new post about Ideologies:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/2995440290234300406

Very cool stuff. This can really, really help differentiate each playthrough. You very likely can tailor a faith to just reinforce your usual playstyle, or you can make one that encourages you to play differently. I wonder if you can "cheat" ritualized blindings by implanting bionic eyes afterwards?

In any case, this has so much potential, I'm really looking forward to this. Do we know the release date? On the store page it only says "July".

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Here's hoping the Ideology systems are easily moddable. I want to build a spider-worshiping Feralisk cult for real this time.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hungry posted:

Here's hoping the Ideology systems are easily moddable. I want to build a spider-worshiping Feralisk cult for real this time.

IIRC they've already said it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cant wait to see what empire mod does with it