Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

but for once ordinary people are actually worse than goons. like wtf are these people doing ostracizing someone because they think she may be a victim? like if it were the guy losing friends on opportunities, that would make sense.

I doubt they saw her as a victim. They probably just didn't want some 30-year-old dude hanging around their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

drat i just started The Boys last night, only watched the first episode but I'm already hooked. It seems extremely good so far

I'm going in totally blind

The comic is awful, and almost made me not want to even bother try the TV series. Luckily a friend convinced me to give it a shot because it's a really solid show. It helps that the showrunners go out of their way to un-Ennis all the really Ennis stuff that was in the original (with one notable exception in the second season, but that goes by so fast it's a "blink-and-you-might-miss-it" thing so easy to ignore.)

chairface posted:

I recently sat through the boys and then the newer live action tick basically back to back and it's two rather different takes on superheros. the big difference is arthur is actually cool and good while hughie just sucks constantly

The Tick's cancellation still makes me sad. We never got to see Edgelord truly flourish as a character. :saddumb: There was at least another season or two of great stories left in that show.

Falstaff has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Jul 11, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this is so petty it rules, like when michael chricton put some newspaper critic who disliked a book of his into his next novel as a baby rapist with a micropenis

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I doubt they saw her as a victim. They probably just didn't want some 30-year-old dude hanging around their house.

the roomates, sure, i could see that. like "will he bring around friends that will then try to hit on us" is a question i can see someone not wanting to have to find out the answer to.

but being like "this person is in a potentially exploitative relationship, i'd better socially isolate them by not being their friend" is pretty hosed up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

chairface posted:

cast someone who actually knows french

no, never do this under any circumstances

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hodgepodge posted:

"will he bring around friends that will then try to hit on us"
A 30-year-old dating a teenager does not have friends.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

they’re friends with other 30 year olds who want to date teenagers

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

they’re friends with other 30 year olds who want to date teenagers
That would necessitate anyone wants to be friends with them in the first place.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Black Widow was an enjoyable, but flawed Marvel film. People that enjoy those movies will like the film. People that do not enjoy those movies will hate the film.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in the land of 30 year olds who want to date teenagers the 30 year old with a teenage gf is king

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Black Widow more than Falcon and Winter Soldier and WandaVision, but that was probably because it wasn't deliberately trying to drag out the plot through interminable cliffhangers.

Red Guardian's portrayal was also more sympathetic towards the Soviet Union than F&WS was towards anarchists.

These are not particularly high bars to clear.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Tubgoat posted:

friends in low places

the mod forum :twisted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mr Hootington posted:

Black Widow was an enjoyable, but flawed Marvel film. People that enjoy those movies will like the film. People that do not enjoy those movies will hate the film.

gonna be very cool re: taskmaster how any criticism of the movie erasing their very funny and relatively unique characterization in the comics in favor of turning them into a silent hitman is gonna get drowned out by “you’re just a misogynist mad they made tasky a woman”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Falstaff posted:

The comic is awful, and almost made me not want to even bother try the TV series. Luckily a friend convinced me to give it a shot because it's a really solid show. It helps that the showrunners go out of their way to un-Ennis all the really Ennis stuff that was in the original (with one notable exception in the second season, but that goes by so fast it's a "blink-and-you-might-miss-it" thing so easy to ignore.)

I did a reread of the comics after watching the show and getting rid of all the super edgelord poo poo ennis put in it was a great decision.

The only part of the comics I liked was seeing them take on smaller villain groups before finally going after the boys.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

gonna be very cool re: taskmaster how any criticism of the movie erasing their very funny and relatively unique characterization in the comics in favor of turning them into a silent hitman is gonna get drowned out by “you’re just a misogynist mad they made tasky a woman”

I'm sure that take will pop up, but I'm willing to bet the majority will say taskmaster was done dirty.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
hopefully disney can master the task of making a good movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finally gave up browsing the media that did not age well thread in pyf it seemed like a good way to keep track of old stuff i havent actually seen but i ran into a discussion about how passengers is evil because it has an ambiguous moral conflict followed up by the usual made up bullshit about the chinese film market and realized i just couldnt take the opinions there seriously anymore

both discussions were also frustratingly off brand because they were rehashing things that had also been discussed when the properties in question were still new

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

chairface posted:

counterpoint: stormfront.

only ways to make the boys better: cast anyone else at all as hughie, cast someone who actually knows french as frenchie.

I recently sat through the boys and then the newer live action tick basically back to back and it's two rather different takes on superheros. the big difference is arthur is actually cool and good while hughie just sucks constantly

Thing is, even in the comics, it's never clear if Frenchie is actually French at all, speaks the language, or if he's just absolutely off his rocker, so it fits.

Spuckuk has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Jul 11, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/slytherinus/status/1413556375104507913

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

God Hole posted:

i was a fencer for 6 years and im here to tell you the fight scene is bad

Fencing is bougie and sucks, WMA or get out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WMA is completely fake and made up by dork losers. also virtually everyone who could sword fight proficiently was either nobility or bourgeois in any case

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

indigi posted:

WMA is completely fake and made up by dork losers.

hard to argue this makes it less relevant to star wars

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

someone needs to get the Chinese and Indian soldiers that were having melee battles in the Himalayas to comment on the scene. They have real hand-to-hand combat experience.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I don't care how ahistorical some wma stuff is, it's way fun

Even if fencing is more "real" or naturally occurring, it's laaaame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s absolutely lame but still a lot more fun to watch than WMA cause they’re actually proficient at it and it’s a coherent time tested art so people don’t look like flailing idiots

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

Fencing is bougie and sucks, WWE or get out

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
nothing can ever match the historical realism of gunkata

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

not learning how to parry edged weapons to own the libs

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

God Hole posted:

not learning how to parry edged weapons to own the libs

This is real life, not Street Fighter 3, hit him with halberd

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KomradeX posted:

This is real life, not Street Fighter 3, hit him with halberd

And don't forget to dodge roll

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Obiwan is using a really bad fencer pose so....

Judakel posted:

nothing can ever match the historical realism of gunkata

When the lost art returns it will be time for the last battle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Belle is best and despite being what should be also bougie as gently caress the only people I ever see doing it are the poorest yokels ever.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
my response to WMA discourse:

http://cdn.funnyisms.com/37914407-a007-41ee-ba89-faab63498576.gif

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The sopranos is just harry potter

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mafia themed tv/movies are pretty much Harry Potter for men.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Mafia themed tv/movies are pretty much Harry Potter for men.

I need to watch it so I can discover it is just edgy Murphy Brown.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

tony soprano was a hufflepuff, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
you could probably draw a pretty big audience for mafioso+magic with a good script and a decent budget