Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

Would a water pipeline be protested like an oil pipeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It would be the ultimate way for the government to pass money to whoever they wanted so it tracks that it would never be finished and will be the last great project the Feds eventually take on. The appropriate end.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I would imagine that a lot of people would be pretty motivated to stop any project of that scale, yeah

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Water is pure, unlike oil.

Maybe I can buy a defunct oil company with a pipeline and repurpose it for water delivery

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I’m guessing you’re joking but I imagine everyone in the basin the water comes from would be pissed off and environmentalists would generally be opposed to a project of that scale as well as any landowners along the path getting eminent domained

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SirPablo posted:

the fascists in oregon are already planning on seizing a federal dam if they don't get the water they demand

quote:

Although it can’t summon the rain, the Bureau of Reclamation, a federal agency, can allocate the remaining water. But amid the ongoing drought, the agency shut off water allocations altogether, for the first time in the region’s history.

As farmers scramble, a far-right group has stepped into the fray. The People’s Rights network, an organization that has held mask-burnings and demonstrations at local officials’ homes over the past year, has set up camp alongside the river’s headgates on land purchased by two farmers associated with the group. Both farmers, neither of whom could be reached for comment, have spoken of potentially storming the headgates and unleashing the water reserves.

“If they don’t budge… I think we’re just going to end up taking it,” one of the farmers told RT.

In an interview with Jefferson Public Radio, another People’s Rights-associated farmer threatened a standoff with federal agents. “I’m planning on getting D.C.’s attention,” he said. “We’re going to turn on the water and have a standoff.”

A spokesperson for the Oregon People’s Rights chapter that is organizing events at the encampment said the group stands by that message and the potential of a standoff—albeit, somehow, nonviolently.

“No one here would ever have [used] the word Storm. We want the headgates open, yes,” she told The Daily Beast via text message, suggesting the group might hold a bucket brigade to manually transfer water to farms from the river’s canal. “We would never use violence or damage anything to get the water that belongs to the irrigators.”

Domain names for the People’s Rights network were registered in 2019, web records show, but the group publicly launched in early 2020, in loud opposition to anti-COVID-19 measures. The group’s leader, Ammon Bundy, gained fame in two armed standoffs against federal agents over public land disputes in 2014 and 2016, the first alongside his father Cliven. Bundy, who has not appeared at the Klamath River encampment, recently announced a bid for governor of Idaho. His campaign did not return multiple requests for comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/inside-ugly-extremist-wave-stoked-075702124.html

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

the fascists in oregon are already planning on seizing a federal dam if they don't get the water they demand

Yeah that whole situation is nuts. They’re basically abandoning the entire salmon run this year too. I think it’s not going to escalate though mainly because I don’t think there’s even enough water there for it to do the farmers any good we’re they to bust it open - it’s a dire situation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that whole situation is nuts. They’re basically abandoning the entire salmon run this year too. I think it’s not going to escalate though mainly because I don’t think there’s even enough water there for it to do the farmers any good we’re they to bust it open - it’s a dire situation

They’re talking about using a bucket brigade to move water from one channel to another.

They’re not playing with a full deck here.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m guessing you’re joking but I imagine everyone in the basin the water comes from would be pissed off and environmentalists would generally be opposed to a project of that scale as well as any landowners along the path getting eminent domained

Except there's habitually flooding now in the east. Sell that excess water!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I continue to be baffled at the idea of a water pipeline when canals were invented six thousand years ago

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

I continue to be baffled at the idea of a water pipeline when canals were invented six thousand years ago

non car based transportation is verboten

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

canals evaporate, pipelines don’t.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Anybody can just simply walk into a canal and just take a drink of water whenever they want to.

With a pipeline, nobody can steal a drop of water.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can actually steal from a pipeline, it’s a major problem in some parts of the world.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kazinsal posted:

usually they're called aqueducts and nowadays we like to put them underground

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Kazinsal posted:

im the canal across the rockies

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

canals evaporate, pipelines don’t.

Also pipelines can cross elevation a whole lot more effectively - not sure how you’d canal your way across the Great Plains and the Rockies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well it’s nice not beholden to following a gentle slope the whole way. You may want the line to rise and fall under pressure to cross valleys, and in fact the Romans did this with aqueducts.

At some point , whether you have a canal with a lot of enclosed segments or pipeline with some open ones is a semantic distinction.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just put the water on a truck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the problem with a traditional aqueduct is that the areas that want to steal are at a higher altitude than the water they’re stealing

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mayor Dave posted:

im the canal across the rockies

Stop, Bechtel and Halliburton can only get so erect.

LockMart would also probably figure out a way to put a bid in since there's NO project they won't try to grift the gently caress out of via wholly-owned subsidiaries these days.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Jq3pJejPM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Well it’s nice not beholden to following a gentle slope the whole way. You may want the line to rise and fall under pressure to cross valleys, and in fact the Romans did this with aqueducts.

At some point , whether you have a canal with a lot of enclosed segments or pipeline with some open ones is a semantic distinction.

note that the flow is always from the high side to the low side. you can’t trick me, I had to do like 10 manometer problems for the FE exam!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Also pipelines can cross elevation a whole lot more effectively - not sure how you’d canal your way across the Great Plains and the Rockies

this is the big one, it's way way easier to lay down pipes and pumping stations instead of building tallass structures that use gravity flow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is the big one, it's way way easier to lay down pipes and pumping stations instead of building tallass structures that use gravity flow

though building 6000ft towers next to the Great Lakes would be pretty amazing looking

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How long can a garden hose be?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

though building 6000ft towers next to the Great Lakes would be pretty amazing looking

gently caress it. Hang a transcontinental zip line from it and I’m on board

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the boring company will obviously just dig a hyperloop from chicago to tucson and drive the water there

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illinois

Not QUITE 6000ft...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol this rules, it sounds like an 8 year old came up with it

quote:

Wright explained that there would be 76 elevators, each having five-floor-high tandem cabs, serving blocks of five floors simultaneously.[1] The 76 elevators would be divided into five banks or groups, with each elevator group serving a hundred-floor segment of the building. Wright's floor plan of the 528th floor shows it would be served by only one elevator shaft. The elevators were to be "atomic-powered", capable of mile-per-minute speeds, and running on ratchets instead of suspended by cables. But a realistic design would be powered by a "third rail" like subways.[1]

The elevator banks extend beyond the sloping exterior walls at various points, giving the building the appearance of an elongated pyramid with protruding parapets. He said these elevators would enable the building to be evacuated in one hour, in combination with escalators that would serve the five lowest floors.[1]

In his 1957 book, A Testament, Wright described the proposed structure with floor plans of the "base", 320th, and 528th (highest) floors.[1] The floor plan for the 320th floor shows a single, open staircase, not separated from the surrounding office space in any way, not even with a door. The floor plan of the 528th floor shows that access is solely by a single elevator, with no staircase at all. Wright believed that because his building was fireproof, any fire precautions would be moot.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
nuclear thermal rockets on my elevator cars to make getting to the top floor lightning quick

nasa fund my idea for a nuclear propelled space elevator pls

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

nuclear powered elevators is the best idea i’ve heard all day

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Every elevator gets one of those little molten salt reactors the air force experimented with back in the day. Reactivate three of them to unlock a side quest in the next Fallout game.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
https://mobile.twitter.com/svensundgaard/status/1414311663344422915

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:rip: grains and corn

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

new orleans gets their municipal water from the mississippi, part of the treatment process uses ammonia

this is actually a really common method of water purification

what do they do for washington dc cos it's loving disgusting

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

crepeface posted:

what do they do for washington dc cos it's loving disgusting

the Mississippi is all hog poo poo and farm runoff, can’t be much better, it’s a stream of poo poo and nutrient pollution that kills everything downstream

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Biden murking these chuds is probably the only thing that would get me to consider voting for him. As someone who lives out west the last thing I want to see is y'all qaeda loving with water

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I hope corn can survive 110 degree heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

popcorns on the menu