Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FCKGW posted:

Agreed. Wood paneling makes sense in a cabin or forest home, not in ocean front property.

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, the original version had way too much wood. Remodel was a huge improvement.

let me introduce you all to the Sea Ranch

It's actually got a really interesting history that could belong in this thread - hippies grew old, design that grew from utopian experimentation became the new rigid traditionalism, house values increased to turn what was supposed to be an eco-commune of sorts into a vacation home enclave like any other in California. Eventually the principles building off vernacular architecture get replaced with just a vague sterilized white-walled "modernism" as seen in the remodel of the Don Jacobs house.
https://archive.curbed.com/2019/2/20/18231590/sea-ranch-northern-california-sonoma-county-coast-history
https://archive.curbed.com/2019/2/21/18232116/sea-ranch-coastal-commission-oral-history-legacy
http://searanch.ced.berkeley.edu/s/sea-ranch/page/home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I hate modernism so very, very much.

'Tell me you work a white collar job that leaves you with zero ability to enjoy anything aesthetically' the design philosophy.

It's like a mayonnaise sandwich.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Modernism can be lovely - large airy spaces with simple but elegant lines, designed to make use of what you can do with modern building materials and methods.

Painting everything inside white is modernism in the same way putting in a reclaimed wood barndoor in your 1970s suburban house makes it a historical building.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

let me introduce you all to the Sea Ranch

I appreciate all this information but the wood inside still looked dated and crappy and it looks better now IMO

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

FYI, this is back on the market for $1.5 MILLION. :rznv:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The Google Streetview is highly informative

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ShotgunWillie posted:

FYI, this is back on the market for $1.5 MILLION. :rznv:

p sure at this point its just going to get sold to a rental company for that airbnb instagram demo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Modernism can be lovely - large airy spaces with simple but elegant lines, designed to make use of what you can do with modern building materials and methods.

Painting everything inside white is modernism in the same way putting in a reclaimed wood barndoor in your 1970s suburban house makes it a historical building.

Even then, it's all sterile, empty space that's designed for the person who doesn't actually live in their home so much as come there to sleep, and has someone else to do the cleaning.

It's 'high end' hotel room chic.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

hello officer yes I would like to report a crime

Prop loom, as there is no other equipment visible, nor anywhere to store it. Even worse than an out of context Chair imo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Prop loom, as there is no other equipment visible, nor anywhere to store it. Even worse than an out of context Chair imo.

Good catch. I don't even see a shuttle.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dear people: Water is heavy. Jot that down somewhere important

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Johnny Aztec posted:

Good thing the propane tank prevented a complete collapse.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Aztec posted:

That fell less that I would have expected.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was expecting this would be a student apartment complex.... but no it looks like an actual house.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://cbs4indy.com/news/more-than-150-bowling-balls-found-underneath-home-during-demo-project/

quote:

ORTON SHORES, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan man made a striking discovery under his house when he went to demolish his back stairs: about 160 bowling balls.

David Olson, 33, said he found one ball buried in the sand behind cinder blocks this month and continued finding more over the following days.

“I was actually a little happy about that because it’s a little easier to roll bowling balls out of the way than to move the sand and figure out where to put all that,” he told the Detroit Free Press.

Olson believes there are even more buried under his Norton Shores home.

He contacted the maker of the balls, Brunswick Bowling Products, which had a plant in the area and said they were made in the 1950s. He said former employees contacted him and told him the workers used to take scrapped bowling balls to use as an alternative to gravel or sand.

Brunswick shut down the Muskegon plant in 2006. Olson said many of the balls aren’t in good shape; they don’t have finger holes and aren’t polished, according to MLive.com.

He has donated some and plans to give some to the Muskegon Heritage Museum. He’ll use the rest for landscaping or to make sculptures, according to WZZM-TV.

Sure why not, that'd be a decent fill product.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrmm...what was their profit margin like back then that they could scrap out so many balls?

lolol the 1950s and Boomers lolol

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hrmm...what was their profit margin like back then that they could scrap out so many balls?

Its the 50s I'm sure the accountants in the office were probably drinking as much as or more than the guys on the production floor :shrug:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bowling is the most popular competitive sport in America by participation, so I assume they made tons and tons of balls annually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's amazing how people frequently underestimate that, despite surely hoisting a gallon of water (or even milk...) and noting its heft numerous times in their lives. ~7 pounds per gallon, you dolts. poo poo's *heavy*.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is where the metric system comes in handy because litres (of water) is straight-up kilograms.

(Yes I know about whatever it is you're about to Fishmech me with.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

It's amazing how people frequently underestimate that, despite surely hoisting a gallon of water (or even milk...) and noting its heft numerous times in their lives. ~7 pounds per gallon, you dolts. poo poo's *heavy*.

8 1/3 lbs per gallon.

This is hammered into your brain as part of fire flow calculations so you aren't collapsing buildings with master streams.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

8 1/3 lbs per gallon.

This is hammered into your brain as part of fire flow calculations so you aren't collapsing buildings with master streams.

I’m probably thinking gasoline, from my flight classes many many years ago.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Motronic posted:

8 1/3 lbs per gallon.

1kg/L, to within enough precision for our uses. So a cubic meter is a ton.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to argue that metric is easier for this, but when you're operating with equipment that is in gallons on structures measured in feet/inches in an environment not conducive to a lot of conversion math, mostly running off of tables (memorized or literally in books/on the pump panel) it all works out fine anyway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to argue that metric is easier for this, but when you're operating with equipment that is in gallons on structures measured in feet/inches in an environment not conducive to a lot of conversion math, mostly running off of tables (memorized or literally in books/on the pump panel) it all works out fine anyway.

Yeah, doing the conversions to and from metric sounds like more work and more chance of errors, by all means.

It's still useful as a reminder - a cubic meter doesn't sound like that much, but it's a lot of weight. For a non-metric approximation, a cubic yard isn't that far from a ton, either. (No matter if you use the short, long, or metric ton; they're close enough as a first approximation).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, doing the conversions to and from metric sounds like more work and more chance of errors, by all means.

It's still useful as a reminder - a cubic meter doesn't sound like that much, but it's a lot of weight. For a non-metric approximation, a cubic yard isn't that far from a ton, either. (No matter if you use the short, long, or metric ton; they're close enough as a first approximation).

Yeah, that kinda works for cubic yards too. It's not quite a ton, but it's close. Like 1600 lbs from memory.

If you're using it on the fly to keep things from collapsing just calling it a full ton is probably of benefit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Like in the picture?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Like in the picture?

Like in the picture what? In no way was even a passing consideration given to load calculations whether the units were gallons, liters or rods and hogsheads.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Like in the picture what?

Like in the picture my balls.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Like in the picture my balls.

Your balls hold a cubic meter of water?

I know pee is stored in the balls and all that but dude, you probably should get that checked out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Computer viking posted:

or one pint = 1 pound

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tunicate posted:

or one pint = 1 pound

16 oz = 16 oz, you say?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Unless you're fueling for Air Canada :v:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

At least the ATV looks unharmed.

Also, load bearing propane tank: Stronger or weaker than load bearing drywall?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ulmont posted:

16 oz = 16 oz, you say?

Unless you're in the UK! I was taught "A pint's a pound the world around", and it is a LIE. Imperial pints are 20 ounces.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I bought a long, narrow aquarium and I need a long, narrow table for it, like one of those behind the couch console tables, but it needs to support 120+ lbs and I've been having a hell of a time. I have an old high school classmate who makes custom tables and stuff but he said he's not taking commissions until lumber prices fall.

If you know of a nice looking table that's approx 36 inches long and 12-14 inches wide that can hold that much, please let me know.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I bought a long, narrow aquarium and I need a long, narrow table for it, like one of those behind the couch console tables, but it needs to support 120+ lbs and I've been having a hell of a time. I have an old high school classmate who makes custom tables and stuff but he said he's not taking commissions until lumber prices fall.

If you know of a nice looking table that's approx 36 inches long and 12-14 inches wide that can hold that much, please let me know.

120+ pounds isn't too bad. I'd guess that any solid wood 1" or thicker, or any plywood .75" or thicker, could support that so long as it had either a leg in the middle (in addition to the legs on the ends of course), or an apron running the length of the table. Just don't use MDF or melamine or other similar materials.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I've been looking on Wayfair and Ikea and everything is like "max load 55lb" or industrially ugly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Right, because those are made out of veneered MDF with an absolute minimum of material to save on costs. Great for very specific uses that aren't yours.

What tools do you have? Some pine boards and a pocket hole jig, plus an appropriate saw to cut things to length, are all you really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My dad has an entire basement/garage/shed full of tools, but this is going in my office and I'd like it to look nice. I don't have any woodworking skills.