Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're talking shite as usual but at least you're right, theres never been any football related violence in scotland

Lmao because of course that's what i am saying here

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mitchell and Webb are both melts but this sketch pretty accurately depicts this thread

https://youtu.be/xN1WN0YMWZU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

This is the kind of poo poo that made me go from "I don't mind if this England team wins, they seem like a good bunch of lads" to "England must never feel joy, they are goblins".

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

"There is no place for racism in football" is the UKs answer to "thoughts and prayers".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/12/fa-condemns-racist-abuse-england-players-social-media-euro-2020-final

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that made me go from "I don't mind if this England team wins, they seem like a good bunch of lads" to "England must never feel joy, they are goblins".

The team are very much a good bunch of lads.

A small but significant number of "supporters" are cunts.

However the same is true of basically any sufficiently large group of people, and it's no reason to wish professional disappointment on the team who are, as discussed, a good bunch of lads, or the vast majority of football fans who are very capable of watching a game without smashing up a town centre.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

https://mobile.twitter.com/joswinson/status/1414337291443707920

:thunk:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Now I’m not racist but I’ll be honest here I noticed something about why we lost the match and who’s responsible for it (and to be absolutely clear here, not racist): is it possible the England squad just wasn’t as good at the footballs as the Italians were? (Not racist)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Goal wallets :eng101:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I had to dig because I had no loving clue what she meant there:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1414338134276550658?s=19

Turns out averages are another thing Swinson doesn't understand

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

I had to dig because I had no loving clue what she meant there:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1414338134276550658?s=19

Turns out averages are another thing Swinson doesn't understand

Took me a few moments but I guess what she’s saying is that she wants goals weighted according to how early the were scored. Which is very silly and tbh I don’t know why she’s being so obvious at inventing metrics where England would have won hen she’s not even English

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Not So Fast posted:

Mitchell and Webb are both melts but this sketch pretty accurately depicts this thread

https://youtu.be/xN1WN0YMWZU

Peep show is hilarious but every football related sketch they've done reads like a high schoolers idea of comedy

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Noxville posted:

Took me a few moments but I guess what she’s saying is that she wants goals weighted according to how early the were scored. Which is very silly and tbh I don’t know why she’s being so obvious at inventing metrics where England would have won hen she’s not even English

They're Jo's wins, son.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Peep show is hilarious but every football related sketch they've done reads like a high schoolers idea of comedy

Same goes for the IT Crowd football scene. I think I found it really funny and relatable 15 years ago but it's just a bit sad now.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

stev posted:

Same goes for the IT Crowd football scene. I think I found it really funny and relatable 15 years ago but it's just a bit sad now.

I'm a Goony football hater, but I totally agree. It's as funny as the mainstream trying to mock, say, gaming or 'nerdy' stuff. Or boomers trying to take the piss out of millennials.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah "write what you know" is generally bad advice but it makes perfect sense for comedy writing. Otherwise you come across like an American kramering into a football thread and trying to own people by talking about Kobe Bryant or something

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This one is good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

It's better because it's making fun of the ridiculously bombastic and self important football coverage, rather than making fun of people enjoying a thing. It's the classic punching up/punching down dynamic in comedy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sebzilla posted:

The team are very much a good bunch of lads.

A small but significant number of "supporters" are cunts.

However the same is true of basically any sufficiently large group of people, and it's no reason to wish professional disappointment on the team who are, as discussed, a good bunch of lads, or the vast majority of football fans who are very capable of watching a game without smashing up a town centre.

I imagine that there are lots of people who are fans of "The Great British Bake-off", Call of Duty or Marvel movies.
But they don't wreck cities before and after the show is aired.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

I imagine that there are lots of people who are fans of "The Great British Bake-off", Call of Duty or Marvel movies.

I dunno mate, reaction to the end of Game of Thrones was pretty severe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

You've clearly never seen Mary Berry on a night out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Question IRL posted:

Star Wars fans absolutely would if there were enough of them in the same place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stev posted:

They'd wreck entire planets.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

stev posted:

How do you think Alderaan happened.

e:f/b

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey it's That Italian Guy!! Gettim!!!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

if you think that england fans are all psycho racist hooligans because of a few well publicised incidents wait until you hear about this political party i know of with a few well publicised anti-semites it’s the tories

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Outside of football, Opera seems to have the spiciest fanbase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_muette_de_Portici

When Lafeuillade and Cassel began singing the celebrated duet. "Amour sacre de la patrie" enthusiasm exploded irresistibly and [the singers] found it necessary to start afresh in the midst of the cheering. Finally, when Masaniello (Lafeuillade) launched into his entreaty, the invocation Aux armes!, the public could no longer be restrained. They acclaimed aria and actor, they booed the fifth act in order to stop the performance, and the delirious crowd [hurled itself] out of the hall—into history. Welcomed by the other crowd which waited outside, it joined in the demonstrations which loosed the revolution of 1830.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey it's That Italian Guy!! Gettim!!!

Oh shi

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It started pissing down with rain in London pretty much the moment the game finished, and I'm a) certain that prevented an awful lot of bad poo poo happening - there were a lot of people just sheltering under flags looking sad when I went home and b) now fully onboard with the idea that localised weather control is possible because the timing was just too loving good.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Question IRL posted:

There are lots of football fans who don't wreck cities either. 31 million people watched the penalty shootout last night and the overwhelming majority of them went home to bed without a fuss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

One of the rare situations in which England deserved to beat Italy after getting in first then shutting up tighter than a Scotsman's wallet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It started pissing down with rain in London pretty much the moment the game finished, and I'm a) certain that prevented an awful lot of bad poo poo happening - there were a lot of people just sheltering under flags looking sad when I went home and b) now fully onboard with the idea that localised weather control is possible because the timing was just too loving good.

On the other hand, it was rainy in London

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sebzilla posted:

There are lots of football fans who don't wreck cities either. 31 million people watched the penalty shootout last night and the overwhelming majority of them went home to bed without a fuss.

Yes I agree that being a football fan doesn't mean you are predisposed to violence.

But you said that if you get any significant number of people together, you would get the same results as what happened last night.

I'm saying that the only time you do get situations like what happened in London are when you have very specific groups togher like MAGA Chuds or Philadelphia sports fans.

Trashing cities is not normal fan behaviour. It's not some inevitability if you get X number of fans of any past time together.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"In what is known to be one of the first forms of sports rioting, supporters of the chariot racing team, Greens, revolted against the Byzantine Empire's leader and supporter of the Greens' rival Blues, Justinian. At least half of the Empire's capital of Constantinople (now Istanbul) was burned by the rioters, and 30,000 people were killed."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they should give me a PR job talking to the fans on their level, i could give a talk at half time and i would be like LISTEN UP, dip-sticks!!!!!! put your rubbish in the bin where it belongs, and in the bin is also where racism belongs!!!!! :cool:, like that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's better because it's making fun of the ridiculously bombastic and self important football coverage, rather than making fun of people enjoying a thing. It's the classic punching up/punching down dynamic in comedy.

That's the kind of joke The Day Today or Brass Eye would literally throw into the opening credits and make their point in a few seconds.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

they should give me a PR job talking to the fans on their level, i could give a talk at half time and i would be like LISTEN UP, dip-sticks!!!!!! put your rubbish in the bin where it belongs, and in the bin is also where racism belongs!!!!! :cool:, like that

I would pay to see this

Especially since, like all posters, I picture you looking like you av

(Yes I am a bunny)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bobstar posted:

I would pay to see this

Especially since, like all posters, I picture you looking like you av

(Yes I am a bunny)

I used to be a computer game fat guy but now, thanks to an encounter with That Italian Guy, I am a lovely dog. So I'm in favour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm still quite tickled by the notion of a hospital that just eats ambulances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

That's the kind of joke The Day Today or Brass Eye would literally throw into the opening credits and make their point in a few seconds.

There are Alan Partridge sport bits that are similar, and also about the same length.