Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My only complain with Skyrim VR now is that I'm totally into it (killed 2 dragons this morning!) but now I'm limited by Quest 2's battery because man I hate being tethered.

Salvation is just a USB battery pack away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Salvation is just a USB battery pack away!

Yeah I got one of those Anker 10000s off of Amazon and it was totally worth it. Plus I velcro strapped it to the back of my Quest and it’s a great counterweight. The Quest straps really should have had a built in counterweight, it’s way more comfortable with something heavy strapped to the back.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone who has access to Oculus Rift games, Asgards Wrath is a must buy. It's easily a 40 hour game, that might be a good enough action RPG for people to enjoy playing it in 2D.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you bought an Oculus Quest at I think any time last year and in the first few months of this year you probably already got it for free as well.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

New computer finally arrived, it has an RTX 3060 :shepface: time to see how many mods skyrim vr will let me do before it explodes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone who has access to Oculus Rift games, Asgards Wrath is a must buy. It's easily a 40 hour game, that might be a good enough action RPG for people to enjoy playing it in 2D.

You can play Oculus games from SteamVR via Revive (google it).

You still have to buy them obviously, it's not piracy.

In practice that means it's playable on almost every vr solution.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I have a strange game to try for a very specific subset of people who have VR, loved an old game called Starflight, and don't mind struggling with jank from what is clearly an experimental game made by a single developer in unity in his free time. The game is free (on Steam) and it is called Exoplanet and it is clearly the developers VR love letter to his favorite computer game of all time. It is in no way polished but it still brought a smile to my face since I loved the original Starflight.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Micr0chiP posted:

The better virtual arms that i have seen were in Tea for God, its freaky looking at were your real arms are and seeing these robot arms with guns attached.
Anyone knows if its still beeing developed ?

It had an update a few months ago. I feel like it's getting close to "done," but definitely for the past year it's been updated regularly.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I played sniper elite for an hour or so last night, and I don't even know if I like it or not. Are there any missions in this game that are actual long range encounters? This game does not feel very sniper elite right now, just medal of honory. I haven't had any problems with the hand models, but if I don't have my hands straight out in front of me the game won't stop buzzing. It's fine when a game uses haptics when on the holster, but not when I'm 4 inches away. The main bug for me is that specific buildings and people in front of me will cull out in certain maps. I don't know if this a bug, but they need to turn down the monsoon that must be happening when I equip a pistol. I shot at a target and the bullet turned almost 90 degrees after 10 feet.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just got a Quest 2, my first voyage into VR

Warplanes: WW1 is really immersive, the problem I have is that any kind of tight turn leaves my stomach flying in the opposite direction - I may have to start using the things I used to get through my pilots license.

Onward is also fun but I'm so loving bad at it, I have a tendency to drop my gun or have the mag fall out at the worst possible times

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Alctel posted:

Warplanes: WW1 is really immersive, the problem I have is that any kind of tight turn leaves my stomach flying in the opposite direction - I may have to start using the things I used to get through my pilots license.

Warplanes is a ton of fun, especially with some friends in multiplayer, but the new user experience is kind of rough. On one of the campaigns you start flying a plane that has a very open view that gives you very little grounding and it has a gun you have to aim independently. Even now flying that plane makes me sick, gently caress that plane.

If that's the plane that made you ill the good news is basically every other plane is a more comfortable experience.

I'd suggest picking a big slow plane with poor visibility and play on the realistic setting. All my friends agreed realistic struck the best balance between responsiveness/realism/fun. It is in no way actually realistic, but there is some actual inertia and momentum to your flight unlike arcade mode.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tip posted:

Warplanes is a ton of fun, especially with some friends in multiplayer, but the new user experience is kind of rough. On one of the campaigns you start flying a plane that has a very open view that gives you very little grounding and it has a gun you have to aim independently. Even now flying that plane makes me sick, gently caress that plane.

If that's the plane that made you ill the good news is basically every other plane is a more comfortable experience.

I'd suggest picking a big slow plane with poor visibility and play on the realistic setting. All my friends agreed realistic struck the best balance between responsiveness/realism/fun. It is in no way actually realistic, but there is some actual inertia and momentum to your flight unlike arcade mode.

That's the one! Good to hear it gets better. It really brought me right back to flying small planes irl and the horrible motion sickness I got there, so I think it's not just the usual VR sickness.

I was playing on the most 'realistic' setting since I cut my flight sim teeth on Warbirds, Aces High and WWIIOnline.

Does anyone know if Subnautica is any good on the Quest 2? I wanted to play it but my PC isn't powerful enough, but reading the reviews on the store page gives me pause

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Augh, finally beat the Rat King in Demeo. Took turtling up in a tiny room with a ballista, two smite wards, a healing beacon, three verochkas, and a fair amount of luck, but we did it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Alctel posted:

I just got a Quest 2, my first voyage into VR

Onward is also fun but I'm so loving bad at it, I have a tendency to drop my gun or have the mag fall out at the worst possible times

You might want to look into "Ultrawings" as something to try. Its essentially a VR 'Pilotwings', where you complete different challenges and earn new islands and planes to use, etc, however it also has a really great VR sickness selector where it will totally block the sides of your plane so you can only look out the front, partially block them, and leave them wide open, essentially vignetting your view with the cockpit.

It might be useful for easing yourself into VR flying and overcoming sim sickness.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Ultrawings also has a "flat" version you get for buying the game, so if you're still not really getting your VR wings yet, you can at least have fun in it via flat mode. It is a step down in simulation level from the games you've mentioned though, but it does nail the "Pilotwings 64, but in VR" feel.

In addition to the other things suggested, you can try having a fan pointed at you, from the front if possible. This can trick your brain enough of a "feeling" of motion since wind is passing by you to overcome the initial nausea.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The issue with ultrawings is that the little islands you are flying around are super uninspired, they don't even hold a candle to pilotwings 64. Id say the game is worth maybe 5bux

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just do that world in VRChat with the planes and helicopters that are impossible to control and flip upside down the instant you manage to get them off the ground.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm pretty sure Ultrawings has shown up regularly in fanatical VR bundles for cheap so I would definitely not pay full price for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

On quest - if I upload beat saber to the latest version will I break the custom songs?

It looks like they added a LOT of new tracks which I’m curious to try

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On quest - if I upload beat saber to the latest version will I break the custom songs?

It looks like they added a LOT of new tracks which I’m curious to try

It did for me, but I played them and it' super easy to restore the quest back to it's previous settings and get everything back. I don't regret checking out the new songs.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alctel posted:

That's the one! Good to hear it gets better. It really brought me right back to flying small planes irl and the horrible motion sickness I got there, so I think it's not just the usual VR sickness.

I was playing on the most 'realistic' setting since I cut my flight sim teeth on Warbirds, Aces High and WWIIOnline.

Does anyone know if Subnautica is any good on the Quest 2? I wanted to play it but my PC isn't powerful enough, but reading the reviews on the store page gives me pause

some people claim to enjoy subnautica in vr, but it's absolutely not designed around vr and I found it a terrible experience even though i was super excited to see my mushroom cave base in vr. terrible framerate, broken ui, no change in control scheme

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think to make Subnautica playable in VR you really absolutely must have a couple mods in place. I doubt that’s an option on the Quest?

And even then, the best approach is HMD+gamepad.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Quest 2 lets me designate surfaces representing my couch and desk, but it won't let me run software at those locations even when it should make sense to let me, like if I'm using Bigscreen or, you know, Virtual Desktop. :mad: I know I can just assign a fake guardian boundary but what even is the point of putting in my desk and couch?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argue posted:

The Quest 2 lets me designate surfaces representing my couch and desk, but it won't let me run software at those locations even when it should make sense to let me, like if I'm using Bigscreen or, you know, Virtual Desktop. :mad: I know I can just assign a fake guardian boundary but what even is the point of putting in my desk and couch?

I can definitely run stuff on my couch, it auto switches guardian zones when I sit down

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hm, is there an option I have to fiddle with? Sometimes it remembers my desk and couch are in the room with me, and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does recognize that I have a couch, it keeps asking me to reconfirm my boundaries when I lean forward and end up putting myself in the roomscale guardian space.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know the Quest 2 uses a USB-C set up for charging, will any USB-C charging set up work? I have a USB-C charger for my chromebook and wanted to use it to charge the Quest 2 while on a trip.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know the Quest 2 uses a USB-C set up for charging, will any USB-C charging set up work? I have a USB-C charger for my chromebook and wanted to use it to charge the Quest 2 while on a trip.

Yep, I charge it off my computer's USB-C port and have also used my Macbook charger to charge it before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't notice Valve finally updated their stats

-Oculus loses a bit of market share as Quest 2 gains doesn't compensate the losses of the rest.
-It has been several months since Index is so high.
-Vive Pro 2 appears with 0.08%
-Big gains by HTC Vive Cosmos too. Also Vive 1 is holding like a champ.
-Pico Neo 3 , despite only being available in China, gains more than Vive Pro 2. 0,27%
-But importantly, a disastrous fall of the total of VR headsets. Although I want to point out one thing:

This is too big of change in a single month. I think Valve did something and suddenly a portion of the Steam clients in China report to them when before they didn't, so the numbers did o a big upswing. I believe what happened is, the total number of Steam clients has increased, let's say from 120 to 130M. That could partially explain why the % of that number which have VR headsets has decreased.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 11, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As with any USB charger, take note of the provided power brick's (if there is one, IDK I don't own a quest 2) amperage rating. It should be printed (even if very small) on the wall receptacle somewhere. The other device you plug it into that isn't the "official" charging should provide that amperage or greater. This goes if you buy an external battery pack as well.

If it's expecting 5A but only able to draw 2A from the crappy convenience-store charger you picked up, you're gonna have a bad time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

As with any USB charger, take note of the provided power brick's (if there is one, IDK I don't own a quest 2) amperage rating. It should be printed (even if very small) on the wall receptacle somewhere. The other device you plug it into that isn't the "official" charging should provide that amperage or greater. This goes if you buy an external battery pack as well.

If it's expecting 5A but only able to draw 2A from the crappy convenience-store charger you picked up, you're gonna have a bad time.

For reference, the official Quest 2 charger is 5V, 2A, 10W. Unless Chromebooks are worse than I thought it's still a laptop charger and should be able to put that kind of juice out no problem.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Logitech is running some sort of summer sale that brought the k830 down to a kinda reasonable $60. It’s been sold out all week but started showing available again today if anyone’s interested.

(K830 is the Oculus Infinite Office keyboard)

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k830-illuminated-tv-wireless.920-007182.html

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Back to Sniper Elite VR ramblings:

I tried some different handling modes, like grip to hold, grip to toggle, and whatever the 3rd option is, but they all seem to suffer from the weird handling bug where the z-axis (I think?) becomes a bit desync'd and the handling gets worse. What's weird though is I'm able to compensate for this pretty well, so it' doesn't break the game per se, but once you realize how off it is by dropping / re-equipping a weapon its suddenly obvious.

Pros:
It turns out the famed Sniper Elite bullet cam is pretty cool in VR! Doesn't make me sick at all, but the sound effects of bullet/bone destruction seem muted compared to the flat game versions.
Lots of difficulty and immersion comfort settings, and it has a reset height button that's easy to access and works accurately, which is somehow still not a given in VR games.
It looks okay and runs really well on my 2070s / 5600x.

Nailing a heat shot when you're almost dead and watching the kill cam is extremely satisfying.

Cons:
One design choice I don't understand at all is the in-between mission briefings where you're holding a book: you have to flip pages as if you're an old man going down memory lane. It's neat, except the way it orients the book I have to literally take my Index controller off and hold it basically upside down for the book to be usable. What loving system did they q/a this game on? I don't see how this would work with any other controller type, it's bizarre.

Like another poster mentioned there sure is a lot of close combat set pieces for a sniper game. You can even dual wield which is pretty neat. Hand guns and machine guns have an insane drop off point, though...like they're nerf rounds that can only go 20 feet before dropping.

It's becoming obvious that basic input mechanisms in VR are not to be taken for granted. Weapon handling, inventory management, item selection, etc. are so obviously behind what HL:A, Boneworks and S&S have done it's almost maddening no one else has put the effort into replicating. I swear the algorithm for pulling items in HL:Alyx must be worth millions on its own because everything else feels like a tech demo in comparison.

So far I think it's worth $30 if you can get over this stuff, but I'm also very thirsty for new single player content so I'm willing to let a lot of poo poo slide.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Turin Turambar posted:

Although I want to point out one thing:

This is too big of change in a single month. I think Valve did something and suddenly a portion of the Steam clients in China report to them when before they didn't, so the numbers did o a big upswing. I believe what happened is, the total number of Steam clients has increased, let's say from 120 to 130M. That could partially explain why the % of that number which have VR headsets has decreased.

I think there's a couple different things at play here.

The Steam China client (versus the steam client but in China) is pretty new, and they are pushing it hard.

Most VR headsets that weren't trash were very unavailable during almost all of coronavirus with prices just finally stabilizing. Since literally the start of coronavirus until just recently I saw Indexes going for, at the cheapest, 12000rmb (about 1800 dollars.) Others weren't much different. I think this is because a lot of them either have no or a very limited Chinese release. China has very large, I guess, grey markets though where people buy expensive things in other countries and just fly back with it in their luggage to sell domestically. This is a massive market, even though it sounds like it wouldn't be, with probably millions of people doing this constantly. For a lot of people this is their entire livelihood. Coronavirus completely stopped this.

Just in the past month though, I saw Index prices drop by 50% in China. Other things are stabilizing as well. It's actually practical to buy when it hasn't been for the last year and a half.

The Quest 2 was never much more expensive (that was the main reason I got one) but it's almost completely unusable without a VPN at the router level. That's what I do, but gently caress that for 99% of people looking for a VR headset. So it wouldn't have had the same impact on VR adoption it had in other places. But now we're getting decent Chinese headsets that are mostly filling that niche.

And also, I dunno this is just a maybe, I noticed steam on Windows is narcing on me more. On Linux, steam and anything else never seems to guess my location behind a VPN, but on Windows every now and then I get steam (and other stuff) deciding 'hey here's some Chinese, we know you're somewhere in China.' This is happening a lot more the past couple months with steam, so they may just be looking more deeply into it. Before when I may be a 'wherever my VPN is' steam user, now I'm a China steam user.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argue posted:

Hm, is there an option I have to fiddle with? Sometimes it remembers my desk and couch are in the room with me, and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does recognize that I have a couch, it keeps asking me to reconfirm my boundaries when I lean forward and end up putting myself in the roomscale guardian space.

I just tried out my desk and you are right, I can't even watch videos there. Which is dumb.

The couch works fine apart from sometimes the unit just forgets all the boundaries for everything

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I swear somebody mentioned Asgard's Wrath recently, but holy poo poo that game is fantastic. Only thing I wish was different was the fact that it gives you a shield right after the sword, but the sword is permanent and the shield is breakable. Just give me an unlimited Captain America shield.

I'm 3 hours in and 5% done with Midgard, 8% done with Asgard. Holy poo poo there is a lot to this game.

E: This comes with a BIG caveat though, the game is 111 GIGS when I downloaded it for playing over Air Link. I have it playing over a solid state and still notice load times are 10-15 seconds or longer when other VR games are almost instant. A few abrupt cuts to black which I feel like should have been transitions, like during the opening boss-fight in the prologue. Still lots of fun, but I can't imagine playing on a platter drive.

bawk fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MussoliniB posted:

It did for me, but I played them and it' super easy to restore the quest back to it's previous settings and get everything back. I don't regret checking out the new songs.

Ah cool! Do they typically patch custom stuff to work on the new version or will I one day lose custom songs forever unless I revert? I'm ok losing temporary access to the custom stuff but I know with like, Vita hacking you could go too far and totally break it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Back to Sniper Elite VR ramblings:

I tried some different handling modes, like grip to hold, grip to toggle, and whatever the 3rd option is, but they all seem to suffer from the weird handling bug where the z-axis (I think?) becomes a bit desync'd and the handling gets worse. What's weird though is I'm able to compensate for this pretty well, so it' doesn't break the game per se, but once you realize how off it is by dropping / re-equipping a weapon its suddenly obvious.

Pros:
It turns out the famed Sniper Elite bullet cam is pretty cool in VR! Doesn't make me sick at all, but the sound effects of bullet/bone destruction seem muted compared to the flat game versions.
Lots of difficulty and immersion comfort settings, and it has a reset height button that's easy to access and works accurately, which is somehow still not a given in VR games.
It looks okay and runs really well on my 2070s / 5600x.

Nailing a heat shot when you're almost dead and watching the kill cam is extremely satisfying.

Cons:
One design choice I don't understand at all is the in-between mission briefings where you're holding a book: you have to flip pages as if you're an old man going down memory lane. It's neat, except the way it orients the book I have to literally take my Index controller off and hold it basically upside down for the book to be usable. What loving system did they q/a this game on? I don't see how this would work with any other controller type, it's bizarre.

Like another poster mentioned there sure is a lot of close combat set pieces for a sniper game. You can even dual wield which is pretty neat. Hand guns and machine guns have an insane drop off point, though...like they're nerf rounds that can only go 20 feet before dropping.

It's becoming obvious that basic input mechanisms in VR are not to be taken for granted. Weapon handling, inventory management, item selection, etc. are so obviously behind what HL:A, Boneworks and S&S have done it's almost maddening no one else has put the effort into replicating. I swear the algorithm for pulling items in HL:Alyx must be worth millions on its own because everything else feels like a tech demo in comparison.

So far I think it's worth $30 if you can get over this stuff, but I'm also very thirsty for new single player content so I'm willing to let a lot of poo poo slide.

This is basically my feelings on it too.

I wish it’s movement direction was hand based and not head based. Most VR games let you look around but continue to walk in a straight line but this one turns you when you turn your head. Annoying. The game is fun enough that $30 seems right especially if they fix the small bugs.

I got it on the oculus store so I tried the quest and pc versions back to back and there is a ton of detail missing from the quest version but the overall feel of the game is the same which is about all you can expect. It’s still fun to play either way.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Is the Quest 2 way better than the original Rift? Is tracking a lot better on the Quest 2 vs. having 3 sensors with the Rift?

I'm thinking I'd like an upgrade but I'm not sure it's worth getting a Quest 2 or an Index or something. I'd basically just be playing Beat Saber so decent tracking would be preferable. Having wireless with the Quest 2 seems really awesome at the very least.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

infinite99 posted:

Is the Quest 2 way better than the original Rift? Is tracking a lot better on the Quest 2 vs. having 3 sensors with the Rift?

I'm thinking I'd like an upgrade but I'm not sure it's worth getting a Quest 2 or an Index or something. I'd basically just be playing Beat Saber so decent tracking would be preferable. Having wireless with the Quest 2 seems really awesome at the very least.

Visuals are way better. Tracking is probably measurably worse but in gameplay it feels the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anyone else tried Supernatural on the Quest 2? I've heard so much praise for it in other places but I got around to using the trial today and it just feels like Beat Saber but with really bad maps and a bit of Synth Riders tossed in and cutscenes with a "trainer" guy screaming about how hyped he is in between songs. Am I alone on this one? I like the games this is trying to ape, but I don't think I like this one at all, certainly not enough for a $15/mo subscription.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The issue with ultrawings is that the little islands you are flying around are super uninspired, they don't even hold a candle to pilotwings 64. Id say the game is worth maybe 5bux

I've seen it show up in Fanatical VR bundles a bunch of times, so depending on the size of the bundle you get, you can probably get it for at least $5, if not less.