Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

I really hate this style of posting

The 3D camera-style of posting, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There will always be people who feel the constant need to be insufferable assholes at any opportunity. Guess it makes them feel tough or whatever.

Imagine being a raging douche to people in the EV thread, out of nowhere, for no reason.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it didn't come across well through forums posts. I actually think the 3D view is a pretty neat feature, and am annoyed at the weird Tesla fanboys that insist that it's an unnecessary feature because Tesla doesn't want to license it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Aino Minako posted:

I have a need for a 3 row people mover. While I have a reservation in for a Model X to replace my Model 3, I have been taking a serious look at the Pacifica hybrid lately. Seems like minivans in general have so many nice family convenience features that the Teslas lack, like inside cameras and much more sophisticated entertainment systems. They also have what should be considered table stakes features at this point, like 360 external cameras, which again Teslas don’t have.

The ~30 miles of electric range would cover my usual daily driving, and the gasoline option for long drives is a nice to have.

It’s also worth considering that I could get the people mover and keep the Model 3, (which I love,) and still be tens of thousands of dollars in the black compared to a Model X.

If you really need a people mover, and have the space to keep your model 3, why are you compromising on the people mover? Just buy the forum favorite Odyssey and be happy with all the family friendly features it has.

I can’t compare it to a Model X, as I have no experience with it, but my wife has a ‘20 Odyssey and we have 2 small children. The magic slide seats are great for access to the rear seat while we have the car seats in the middle row. But they are heavy and a bit of a pain to fully remove. You have Honda reliability on everything. And while the V6 will not compare to any Tesla vehicle, you won’t have any highway merging concerns.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I find the birds eye camera to be really useful on the mach e. it also has the kick liftgate which is really handy!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I honestly don’t understand the religious obsession with Tesla. I have a Model Y on order, but it’s a car. It’s not my personality.

I don’t need a car that drives itself through a city; I want one that makes it less fatiguing to drive long stretches of flat/boring freeway here in the Midwest. I don’t need a car that goes 0-60 in 2 seconds; I want one that has the instant torque feeling and one-pedal driving. I find it pretty fascinating that the non-radar cars perform as well as they do (after however many bug fixes) with machine learning on a local processor, but when I’m sitting in the car driving, who cares? I’m definitely going to miss the 360 camera and CarPlay, but them’s the breaks. It’s not a perfect vehicle; it’s an acceptable vehicle that I’m willing to exchange dollars for.

If the non-Tesla DC fast charging network around here were even minimally acceptable (I used ABRP to map out the vacations we’re currently planning to take, and every one either had a L2 AC charger or a “don’t exceed 60mph” leg), I’d 100% cancel the Model Y and buy a Mach-E. No question. There’s even a red AWD extended-battery one at a dealership not far from my parents’ house.

I was already told by someone at work (who is way too into Tesla and Elon Musk) that because I would dare to compare features with another brand of EV, I don’t “deserve” a Tesla and shouldn’t be allowed to buy one. :jerkbag:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sonic Dude posted:

I honestly don’t understand the religious obsession with Tesla. I have a Model Y on order, but it’s a car. It’s not my personality.

I was already told by someone at work (who is way too into Tesla and Elon Musk) that because I would dare to compare features with another brand of EV, I don’t “deserve” a Tesla and shouldn’t be allowed to buy one. :jerkbag:

Tesla fans generally, and Tesla internet fans particularly are borderline reprehensible. Almost universally ignorant about most of the things going on with their cars both mechanically and electronically.

This is a safe space. Enjoy the car, my 3 has been fantastic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have the same problem with owning an iPhone. Even on these forums people are convinced it's some kind of cultural thing. I just wanted a phone that has a nice camera.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Right there with you.

I use an Apple phone because I want a phone that just works and has a nice camera.
I use both a MacBook Pro and a Lenovo T530, because both do an excellent job at what I need them to do.
I use Dell Ultrasharp monitors because I like a crisp, large screen. Are there better? Sure.
I bought a Tesla because I want a Lightning, but I'm impatient. There are always new, better, less cult-like cars coming out. But today - I can buy a Tesla, charge it on a large network of both public/private infrastructure, and enjoy that I don't have to worry about being out of gas at 2am when one of our hospitals experiences a 1/100 year event (this happened).

At the end of the day, it's just another car in my random fleet of vehicles which get me from A-B. Some with more quirks, enjoyments, and flaws than others.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Platystemon posted:

Lifting the Niro’s weight a mile into the air takes takes almost eight kilowatt hours at perfect efficiency. Maybe ten after losses in the drivetrain are taken into account.

Now, you should get most of that back on the way down, but if you lost sixteen percent of your real range, could you make the trip?

I'll be ok then.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Charles posted:

I have the same problem with owning an iPhone. Even on these forums people are convinced it's some kind of cultural thing. I just wanted a phone that has a nice camera.

People probably think that because the iPhone doesn't have a monopoly on good cameras; I too was just looking for a good camera, and in my research felt like the Pixel 5 had a better camera than the equivalent iPhone and was also $100 cheaper so I went with that. But I think you should use whatever phone you like and don't need to justify that choice

I don't think that any good comes from devoting oneself to a loving brand, of all things; most Tesla fanatics will eventually get over it and be kicking themselves later for acting so douchey

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 12, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

People probably think that because the iPhone doesn't have a monopoly on good cameras; I too was just looking for a good camera, and in my research felt like the Pixel 5 had a better camera than the equivalent iPhone and was also $100 cheaper so I went with that. But I think you should use whatever phone you like and don't need to justify that choice

I don't think that any good comes from devoting oneself to a loving brand, of all things; most Tesla fanatics will eventually get over it and be kicking themselves later for acting so douchey

I meant that some iPhone people think they're better than everyone. It's crazy. Not to get too off topic but my experience with the Pixel line is that every monthly update might fix some bugs but would introduce others. I also was burned by the Nokia 9 being supremely buggy and finally killed by the 10 update. Oh well.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Apple is lucky that the "It just works" and the "it has a good camera" narrative is still sticking around. Cause using or setting up an Android phone is in no way more complicated than an iPhone. And cameras on Android phones caught up and, in some cases, surpassed the iPhone easily. But when you don't really pay attention to phones you might just remember that iPhones are the easy and good ones.

I never understood why you would be loyal to a brand and make it part of your identity. This might have made sense 50 years ago when you knew that this stereo brand is good and the other one i cheap crap and that this car company hasn't figured out how to rust proof their car yet, but nowadays every company makes good stuff and bad stuff. Buy whats best for your budget and dont give a gently caress what name is on the front of it!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TBH Apple phones have never been cutting edge, the best hardware or even the easiest to use - it's not for nothing Steve Jobs was typically described as having a "reality distortion field".

quote:

I never understood why you would be loyal to a brand and make it part of your identity.

Or worship at the alter of Billionaires. I dont get it, like when Apple devotees were 10 deep around Apple stores laying wreaths and acting like their pet dog was run over when some rear end in a top hat who did not give one iota of a poo poo about them and thought he could treat cancer with some natural remedy bullshit died I'm walking past the show questioning a larger part of the world's sanity. These billionaires didn't get their wealth by being good people.

By and large I think Teslas are the best EV's as a package right now but there are problems that should be discussed. I think that's a balanced and defensible point of view - and from a IK / mod POV, I've always tried to make sure Tesla owners feel like this is a thread they can talk frankly about their cars, be it good or bad without the pro and anti Tesla cults foulling the thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A few pages back, someone mentioned they hated the PHEV acronym.
But... do you pronounce it puh-hev? Pee-hev?

...Fev?

Asking the tough questions here.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some EV's have a physical button that serves as a spring loaded switch to allow momentary connection of the traction battery to the 12v when depressed by the user and when released it immediately disconnects that circuit. It serves to allow it to get the 12v equipment up and running so the relays can connect and re-energize the battery through the normal process.

I know the Ionic full EV had that.

I can confirm that the Ioniq Hybrid has the same feature.

We used it last year when the battery died after the car sat idle for several months and it worked great.

I wish my Model 3 had the same feature.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I used to work for Apple so I’ve seen (and yet still can’t understand) the brand worship thing. No one I interacted with on a regular basis prostrated themselves before Jobs the way I’ve seen with Musk, though (and I didn’t work on campus so I only saw him once when I was there for a training thing, so low risk of needing to appear sufficiently subservient). I left the company before he died so I don’t know how those same people acted then (I’ll just assume it was “with disproportionate grief”).

I do hope some of this poo poo gets worked out with Teslas, because even if they got their order process and build quality up to where most other American automakers are (which is still objectively mediocre), I think they’d go a long way toward making EVs even more mainstream. I think I’ve said before in this thread, but I literally can’t imagine my 70-year-old mother buying a car on her computer, waiting 2-5 months for it, and then going over it with a fine-toothed comb to find all the manufacturing errors. Everyone I’ve talked to, whether they have a radar model or not, says it’s a great car after a round or two of service appointments to fix stuff (or their complaints are about things common to all EVs, like the extra time required for road trips).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

A few pages back, someone mentioned they hated the PHEV acronym.
But... do you pronounce it puh-hev? Pee-hev?

...Fev?

Asking the tough questions here.

Pff

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Other Tesla drivers will wave or flash their lights at me when we pass each other and I just ignore them. I don’t care that they, too, are driving the same brand vehicle. It’s stupid.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PenisMonkey posted:

Other Tesla drivers will wave or flash their lights at me when we pass each other

It’s a signal that they’re interested in some impromptu side of the road lovemaking.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

It’s a signal that they’re interested in some impromptu side of the road lovemaking.

I wasn't going to say anything, but you missed the signal and probably missed out on a fun time, bro.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
charge your teslas is the new charging your crystals

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PenisMonkey posted:

Other Tesla drivers will wave or flash their lights at me when we pass each other and I just ignore them. I don’t care that they, too, are driving the same brand vehicle. It’s stupid.

My 3 was one the first ~200 or so delivered in Florida. I’d get other Tesla’s flashing their lights, pulling up next to me and giving me thumbs up, trying to flag me down in traffic to talk, it was honestly kindof exhausting. MrsYenko didn’t understand why non-Jeep owners were Jeep-waving at each other.

Mercifully, there are so many of the things around now that it doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I own a Tesla 3 and I really like it. I wouldn't say it is the perfect car, it has quirks but I am quite satisfied with the whole package. I don't want to be associated with any cult like following of Tesla or Musk, even if I do pay a lot of attention to Tesla vehicles/news. I am in far southwest Wisconsin and there are hardly any other Tesla vehicles on the road here, mine is rare enough that it gets looks and clearly draws attention when I drive it around town. And I occasionally have to explain things to people I interact with (like someone had no idea that superchargers were a thing and thought it always took 8-12 hours to charge the battery so road trips were impossible).

I do feel like the build quality issues with Tesla are vastly overstated, the fit and finish of my 3 was basically flawless from the beginning. The build quality of my previous vehicle (Nissan Altima) was garbage by comparison, it rattled, it had paint issues, panel gaps, etc. It had no major mechanical issues, but it was recalled several times for the hood latch and some problem with the rear suspension.

Basically mine is just a really good daily driver, I have few complaints and most of the downsides of it are generic EV problems and not Tesla problems.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

My 3 was one the first ~200 or so delivered in Florida. I’d get other Tesla’s flashing their lights, pulling up next to me and giving me thumbs up, trying to flag me down in traffic to talk, it was honestly kindof exhausting. MrsYenko didn’t understand why non-Jeep owners were Jeep-waving at each other.

Mercifully, there are so many of the things around now that it doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

I'm going from a Jeep to a Y (come on august hurry up) and after owning a Jeep for almost 10 years I'm about over the Jeep wave.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

I do hope some of this poo poo gets worked out with Teslas, because even if they got their order process and build quality up to where most other American automakers are (which is still objectively mediocre), I think they’d go a long way toward making EVs even more mainstream. I think I’ve said before in this thread, but I literally can’t imagine my 70-year-old mother buying a car on her computer, waiting 2-5 months for it, and then going over it with a fine-toothed comb to find all the manufacturing errors. Everyone I’ve talked to, whether they have a radar model or not, says it’s a great car after a round or two of service appointments to fix stuff (or their complaints are about things common to all EVs, like the extra time required for road trips).

I agree that Tesla should improve their build quality, but I disagree with just about everything else in your comment:
  • I placed my order on March 22nd, 2019 at 5pm EST and left the Tesla showroom with my car on March 27th, 2019 at 2pm. That is 5 days, not 2-5 months. Other folks in this thread have posted wait times of a few weeks or less. I don't know what the typical wait time is, but this article suggests that 2-9 weeks is common, depending on the model and options. In either case I don't think "2-5 months" is a fair characterization of the delay.
  • My parents are a similar age as your mother (my mom is 65 and my dad is 64), and they buy tons of stuff online. Given that the person is buying a car which has on an online billing system and integrates with their smartphone, I don't think it's unreasonable for Tesla to expect that a buyer has enough technical prowess to place an order using an online form. Personally, I preferred buying my car online and hope that I never have to deal with another car dealership again.
  • I used a combination of the teslamotors subreddit checklist and some information gleaned from this thread to check my car before taking delivery. I did not find any problems, and I have not had to take it to the service center since taking delivery. I am not claiming that my experience is typical or that Tesla doesn't have reliability problems (Consumer Reports rates Tesla vehicle reliability between poor and moderate, depending on the model and year), only that manufacturing defects and service center visits are not inevitable.
  • I would expect anyone spending north of $40,000 on an item to give it at least a cursory inspection.
  • You're not required to buy a Tesla blind, you can go to the showroom, inspect the car, and even do a test drive before making a purchase.

The only real complaint I have about the car is that the automatic wipers suck, but I knew about that before I bought the car.

Even though I disagree with the specific points that you're making, I agree with the general sentiment. At the moment, Tesla vehicles are a majority of the EVs on the road in the US, so any antics by the Tesla (FSD scamming) or the CEO (anti-vax shenanigans) reflect poorly on peoples' opinions of EVs in general.

That's why I'm excited that other companies are finally starting to produce viable EVs; I saw my first Mach E in a parking lot a few days ago, and one of my neighbors down the street now owns a Kona EV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrPablo posted:

[*]I would expect anyone spending north of $40,000 on an item to give it at least a cursory inspection.

We just had an article or post not long ago of people buying a plug-in hyrbrid or ev and being shocked that… they had to plug it in to charge. You severely overestimate the general population when it comes to buying car if you think people actually spend as much time as you think they should when it comes to something like buying a car. To a non-insignificant portion, it really is just “I think it looks neat!” and that’s it. Most of your points are the exception, not the norm. Even your 2-9 week delivery window still caps out at over 2 months when arguing that delivery doesn’t generally takes 2-5 months. It’s still a sometimes months long affair. Though this is probably almost entirely depending on regional constraints more than actually manufacturing issues especially now that a lot of the pandemic relating setbacks are starting to phase out / clear up.

At least here in Ohio availability (if you don’t go by inventory, of which there’s no new within 200 miles) the websites states 8-12 weeks for M3 and Sept-Oct for Model S

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrPablo posted:

I
[*]I would expect anyone spending north of $40,000 on an item to give it at least a cursory inspection.

Don't even join the Tesla FB groups, that was mistake.

Daily posts of

- I got a flat tire what do I do
- My windshield got cracked, what do I do
- What type of soap do I use to wash it

The general public are stupid.

Also, I ordered my Y on June 27th and have an expected delivery date of Aug 16th - Sept. 8th. There is little to no inventory here in Florida and if there is it's fully spec'd out models. I ordered a pretty standard long range Y, white, 20" wheels.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I ordered my stealth performance model 3 on January 31st 2020, I didn't get it until July 15th. But 2020 was an unusual year and a stealth performance is an unusual build.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Though this is probably almost entirely depending on regional constraints more than actually manufacturing issues especially now that a lot of the pandemic relating setbacks are starting to phase out / clear up.

There are still plenty of production issues in the car industry, with many work stoppages ongoing. The chip shortage is far from over.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont get it,

Sure you do, it's the tagline for the site. The Internet Makes You Stupid.

People want a sense of community, and if you connect enough people, they'll find like minded forks with extreme positions,wand whip each other up into a religion about dumb poo poo, all for a sense of belonging. There are so many examples of this: UFO people, Tesla fanboys, Plan9 enthusiasts, political parties, QAnon, rear end parrot mailing list subscribers.

People will go to great lengths for a sense of belonging, and sometimes that membership hinges on vehement agreement with who the out group is.

You (CAT INTERCEPTOR) and many of the other mods do a really good job keeping that sort of thing at bay on the forums, and we (the goons) appreciate it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Other groups who engage in similar behavior:

• boaters
  • motorcyclists
  • train (subway) operators
  • Saturn owners in the 90s

When there weren't many Teslas on the road it was neat to see another one, and this waving has stuck around. It probably won't last too much longer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

There are still plenty of production issues in the car industry, with many work stoppages ongoing. The chip shortage is far from over.

Lol gently caress I completed blacked out the entire chip apocalypse we’re going through while typing that. Yeah that’s probably not helping at all!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
jeep people do it despite jeeps being common as dirt

jeep people are also very Special so that might explain it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You forgot Jeep owners.

I'll wave at other motorcyclists but I never really bothered with the Jeep thing, in part because it's harder to spot a modern Jeep if you're not paying attention. I would always wave to other CJ drivers... provided I wasn't busy shifting out of 5th due to a slight incline.

(Man I can't wait until EV upgrade kits get a little bit better and I can drop one into my CJ-7. Fucker only gets like 150 miles on a tank of gas already, so it's not like I'd be losing much...)

cruft posted:

People want a sense of community, and if you connect enough people, they'll find like minded forks with extreme positions,wand whip each other up into a religion about dumb poo poo, all for a sense of belonging. There are so many examples of this: UFO people, Tesla fanboys, Plan9 enthusiasts, political parties, QAnon, rear end parrot mailing list subscribers.

I'd say I resent this, but nah you're right, they (we...) belong in that list.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I didn't realize Jeep people did this. Maybe the Tesla people will hold on to this practice forever, too.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just a question of time before they add a new feature (probably called something non-descriptive like "Hans mode") that will automate the light flashing

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At least here in Ohio availability (if you don’t go by inventory, of which there’s no new within 200 miles) the websites states 8-12 weeks for M3 and Sept-Oct for Model S

I don't know where in Ohio you are, but this one just sold new and I'm seeing a few others: https://www.kellybmw.com/VehicleDetails/new-2021-BMW-M3-Sedan-Columbus-OH/5106119450

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Haha a BMW M3 joke I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

"Hans mode") that will automate the light flashing

Sounds more like hans-free mode to me :dadjoke: