Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

No, the 1 series and 2 series up until now has looked good. This looks bad.

Behold this pinnacle of automotive design

:fart noises:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bimmerpost is taking it well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the 1-series looked like an E46 coupe that was stung by a bee and then in a low-speed collision where it rear ended something and was in turn rear ended so that it got a bit scrunched up. it wasn't awful lookin but it was not a good looking car.

source: former 1-series owner

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

You left the part of the post out where the guy said “I thought this was funny but the design could’ve been way worse”. Also that meme is stupid, comparing a base car to an M2 is always a stupid comparison.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 1-series looked like an E46 coupe that was stung by a bee and then in a low-speed collision where it rear ended something and was in turn rear ended so that it got a bit scrunched up. it wasn't awful lookin but it was not a good looking car.

source: former 1-series owner

Thank you for summing up the ugly but lovable 1 series coupe.

Personally, I think whatever the M model tacks on will fix most of the minor issues I have with this car including the lack of a 6 speed in the M240. New headlights and OLED taillights that are rumored could really make the car look great.

And while we’re stealing content from Bimmerpost…how anyone can claim the bottom car isn’t an improvement is beyond me.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s the weird vertical triangles in front of the wheels that’s the problem to me, the whole front fascia gives a much more vertical right angle look and less slippery sports car look

Also I don’t like the headlights or tail lights.

Also I like the 1 series, especially M, I like weird goofy awkward scrunched over forced big looking.

E: somewhat on topic I haven’t had a ton of time but it looks like it’s sort of possible to even fit the 1 series m front bumper on the e9x and I’m interested lmao. Also I think I want to color change Daytona purple because I like lighting money on fire.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Keyser_Soze posted:

It looks like a fuckin Skoda lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kronix posted:

You left the part of the post out where the guy said “I thought this was funny but the design could’ve been way worse”. Also that meme is stupid, comparing a base car to an M2 is always a stupid comparison.

Thank you for summing up the ugly but lovable 1 series coupe.

Personally, I think whatever the M model tacks on will fix most of the minor issues I have with this car including the lack of a 6 speed in the M240. New headlights and OLED taillights that are rumored could really make the car look great.

And while we’re stealing content from Bimmerpost…how anyone can claim the bottom car isn’t an improvement is beyond me.

The front and rear arches bulge out too much for how skinny the car is at the doors. It looks like front and rear panels are off a different car than the doors. Maybe it won't be so noticeable in black or dark grey that most of these will be.

The current (old) design is not as flashy, but more cohesive.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Sorry to distract from the endless new BMWs look terrible discussion, but does anyone know why the e82 125i/128i asks for premium/98 octane petrol and the 130i/330i takes regular/91? Are there more differences between the high output and low output 3l N52 engines than just the intake manifold and tune?

PS. I bought a e82 1 series last month, and it's kind of weird looking and kind of ugly but way less so than most new BMWs. Thank you.

EDIT: Actually it looks like they changed from 91 to 98 in Australia at least in 2007 models, both are rated at the same output and same compression ratio though.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 9, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

You live in a country with the other octane rating but my e91 328 N52 says it prefers premium (93 here) but will accept regular (87 here) so v0v. Pretty sure knock sensors on engines this modern won’t actually let the fuel damage anything, it will just run less efficiently

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KillHour posted:

What about the scrapes on the handle? That doesn't look like a door ding to me.

I’m thinking could be a door where the edge is rusted and rough possibly? It’s a scrape that suddenly stops at a vertical line which matches up with crease further down the door.

We’re about 3 miles from the nearest supermarket and on top of a big rear end hill so you don’t see shopping trolleys left around to bang into things. The other damage you see to the door handle is from other much older instances.

Stuff like this is why I’m not overly bothered about stuff like detailing because someone will always ruin it. Hell my car came with swirl marks on the paint already so it’s quite liberating to not worry about it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

lmao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
the outgoing 2 series is literally exactly the same size as the Huge and Gigantic Bloated E92 M3 (it does have a bigger decklid spoiler)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

This can't be real

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even if that's all just a mashup of like Mercs and whatever else that side/window profile is from, I wouldn't hate it if headlights started looking more like that.

e: I guess Bentleys or RR Wraith or something

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 9, 2021

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Even if that's all just a mashup of like Mercs and whatever else that side/window profile is from, I wouldn't hate it if headlights started looking more like that.

Car design transitions from angry eyes to emo phase

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lmfao at least if your giant wheel gets bent you can just swap in one of the kidneys

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think it's just a rendering of what it "could" look like. :ohdear:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

the fact that this is not out of the realm of possibilities and, hell, probably isn't the worst they could do, is telling.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiEuZc5Q0vM

idk, seeing the new 2 series in motion it seems fine? I bet with a good color and wheel combo it would look pretty good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift is losing his touch.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Crunchy Black posted:

the fact that this is not out of the realm of possibilities and, hell, probably isn't the worst they could do, is telling.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Powershift is losing his touch.

I would have made the grilles twice that size. It's a luxury car, how will people know unless it looks like it can swallow a golf

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Powershift posted:

I would have made the grilles twice that size. It's a luxury car, how will people know unless it looks like it can swallow a golf

Sounds like you can work remotely doing design work to the terror of the thread

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

Sounds like you can work remotely doing design work to the terror of the thread

We all used to have a good laff at Powershift's "designs" - until they all came into reality! but even worse! :stonk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

We all used to have a good laff at Powershift's "designs" - until they all came into reality! but even worse! :stonk:

Nobody gonna be laughing at the BMW X9 and X11

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

X9 looks like the grand wagoneer I saw in person for the first time today. I think you just plagiarized

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
see.....and both of those are better and more restrained than what the BMW's donkeys will come up with.

Put me down for an X11 M-Sport Ausländer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least this X11 won't crash as much

(maybe)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheBacon posted:

X9 looks like the grand wagoneer I saw in person for the first time today. I think you just plagiarized

I made that long before the grand wagoneer came out. They copied off me :colbert:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Powershift posted:

I made that long before the grand wagoneer came out. They copied off me :colbert:

Well, do you know a lawyer or what?!?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Well, do you know a lawyer or what?!?

Jeep could just claim prior art, as they've been making dogshit ugly vehicles for decades.

Putting this here so when the new 7 series comes out looking like it you're all witnesses tho

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Jeep could just claim prior art, as they've been making dogshit ugly vehicles for decades.

Putting this here so when the new 7 series comes out looking like it you're all witnesses tho

You should compress the front suspension from the weight of that grille.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You need a person for scale that just comes up to the top of one of the wheels.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I too love my front grille to be size of a small car

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

You should compress the front suspension from the weight of that grille.

It's OK - it's made out of carbon graphene fiber and only weighs 12 ounces. RealOEM says it costs A BILLION DOLLARS to replace when Karen backs into you at the gym.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

ausgezeichnet posted:

It's OK - it's made out of carbon graphene fiber and only weighs 12 ounces. RealOEM says it costs A BILLION DOLLARS to replace when Karen backs into you at the gym.

Wait for karen to happen
Cash out her billion dollars
Buy a five buck wish dot comme replacement

rinse, repeat until you have all the money

Now you can afford a new one

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

kronix posted:

I'm not thrilled about the triangles in the front grill or the headlights, but we haven't haven't seen the M version of the car yet.

Those triangles are probably throwback to E46 LCI triangles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

Nobody gonna be laughing at the BMW X9 and X11

i..... don't hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The width on those tires is giving me anxiety