Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I just looked it up out of morbid curiosity, and wow. That is the bar none the absolute worst thing I have ever seen reach 10k, by such a wide margin. I think people can get a bit hyperbolic about how bad a lot of the 10k builds are sometimes, but that is truly horrible lol. Not that it will ever get made but jfc just burn Lego Ideas to the ground and make it into something better.

The sentiment is correct but I feel like this post gives short shrift to the 31 Minutos submission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

~Coxy posted:

Are GameStops particularly well-known for having mannequins in the front windows?

I don't think so. I assume those are supposed to be the cardboard cutouts that were normal in the stores.

Looks like Lego had to lock comments for the submission. I wonder if they always had the ability to lock comments or just implemented it in a rush because of the 'heggies r'fuk' comments.

deoju posted:

lol That game stop thing is already at 10k.

I'm a little surprised, I expected it to take till Friday (today) at least, but that's 10k in less than 24 hours. I'll be interested to see if Lego even addresses this one or just attempts to quietly sweep it under the rug.

I have been following the GameStop journey and know a little bit about it. GS was bought by the guy who created Chewy.com, and right now he's transforming it from what it was to more of an e-commerce focus with the signature Chewy style customer service. Between that effort and the possibility that the stock has been oversold by 1-5x suggests the stock price could go to much higher. This has produced a rabid and nearly cultish fanbase, to say the least. You can see the rabidness in the comments on the Lego Ideas page.

At this point I would not be surprised in the slightest if this does become a Lego set. Obviously, Lego designers would have to clean it up a lot, but it's possible with the current environment. And if you think otherwise keep in mind that McDonalds bent its will to release that szechuan sauce from Rick and Morty having an episode about it. Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. If it did become a set I would buy one for the novelty, and I'm sure they'd sell them in every GameStop store.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Counterpoint: other than epic meme stonk bros, literally nobody wants that. Lol

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It would be less irritating if there was even the slightest bit of effort put into the submission instead of this turd that dropped out of the creator's rear end and which clearly took all of 5 minutes.

The whole thing reeks of someone trying to capitalise on a cargo cult for the royalties.

Lego are still the arbiters of what ideas actually get produced, and if they do make this set, I'd hope they'd at least have the sense to rush it into production as is as quickly as possible so as to not be left holding the bag a year or two down the line with an unsellable, charmless gargoyle of a set that even these dingdongs won't want anymore.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 9, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
They’d be better off making a new McDonald’s or Shell service station tbh

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

It would be less irritating if there was even the slightest bit of effort put into the submission instead of this turd that dropped out of the creator's rear end and which clearly took all of 5 minutes.

The whole thing reeks of someone trying to capitalise on a cargo cult for the royalties.

Lego are still the arbiters of what ideas actually get produced, and if they do make this set, I'd hope they'd at least have the sense to rush it into production as is as quickly as possible so as to not be left holding the bag a year or two down the line with an unsellable, charmless gargoyle of a set that even these dingdongs won't want anymore.

Perhaps worse, imagine if it does get made, and it sells well because reddit's finance bros are still on this thing (and buy loads because they're investors), and the creator who slapped this poo poo together gets 1% of the sales.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw that on my phone so couldn't really get a sense of how bad it was. And it's really really bad.

Bricklink should sell it and allow people to buy up to 10.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Pyroclastic posted:

Perhaps worse, imagine if it does get made, and it sells well because reddit's finance bros are still on this thing (and buy loads because they're investors), and the creator who slapped this poo poo together gets 1% of the sales.

Hording a product for which they themselves are the sole market.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That said, I think the modular series could do with more single story american style retail shops. Just do anything except a loving game retailer.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Well one thing we know for sure, it’s definitely going into full mass production. That guys a pretty big wheel down at the GameStop factory or whatever, no chance lego can ignore that. When something reaches 10k it has to be made, simple as that!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean lego is gonna tell him to gently caress off and instead he'll go chat up the ghost of lepin to make a knockoff version.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

when I looked it up Lego prompted me to share "private feedback" and rate the submission I did ones all the way down, but I thought I was sharing it with Lego, then I hit the button and the site was like "thanks, your feedback has been shared with the creator" oops, I didn't want to tell the dude I thought it was all ones I just wanted to give it a bunk rating. Oh well I am sure they are getting plenty of that right now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d forgotten that Lego had done special IKEA “sets” last year and ended up grabbing the smallest of the three yesterday. They’re well made and look nice, but they’re odd little boxes that don’t feel like they really belong as part of the Lego system. The tops are loose and have no real way to connect bricks underneath, and the boxes themselves have no studs inside. It’s just the lids and the little “window” boxes on the outside.

But they’re also like $10 and I’ve seen people make cool builds with them, so :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me they seem like they'd be a good way to pad out a big build while technically still only using lego. Thats a bummer the tops dont lock and there's nothing on the bottom. Personally I don't think I'd have much use for them anyways. maybe if I decided to build a castle on a mountain or something.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Earth posted:

You’d make a terrible businessperson. “Yeah, let’s blacklist our most prolific customers. Good business decision.”

Didn't bricklink say the program isnt about making money?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A limited run sells out anyway. And Lego doesn't earn a dime on the markup the scalpers get and only angers potential customers who can't buy one from them directly. From that perspective it would make sense to make it 1 set per person if you want a maximum number of customers and build loyalty.

However, Lego chooses short term money over building and retaining their loyal customer base. Which is a totally normal business decision in our capitalist hellscape these days because the customer is always and idiot and will buy more stuff from your company anyway, no matter what you do.

So both of them are right, it just depends on what type of business person you are: Small/medium business owner who cares about their products, customer loyalty and retention vs. too big to fail corporate suit who is completely detached from their products and customers and only cares about shareholder value.

The latter being basically all corporations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new AT-AT is so much more accurate than the last one. The old one looks chibi next to it and really sloppy on details. Man, is it ever flimsy compared to the last one though, which was built like a tank. I can see why that guy itt's at-at ate hardwood floor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

The new AT-AT is so much more accurate than the last one. The old one looks chibi next to it and really sloppy on details. Man, is it ever flimsy compared to the last one though, which was built like a tank. I can see why that guy itt's at-at ate hardwood floor.

The interior compared to the last one is also so much more usable.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

Is it this one 75288? I got one in my latest craigslist bundle and you are right, every time I move it around more parts fall off. I'm going to box it up and put it in storage until I can get back around to rebuilding my Hoth display.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Picked up the GT/Bronco set today due to having some time to kill in the area of the Lego store and I gotta say the GT actually looks pretty nice and was fun to build.

The Bronco is uh definitely a thing. Good source of red wheels and off road tires? Oh and the driver for it is p cool.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I like this AT-AT and haven't had any issues apart from some of the front guns fall off from a gentle breeze

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I’m trying to think of some cool cars I haven’t seen yet and probably won’t ever unless I build them myself. I wonder if I can make a convincing Nissan R390 GT1 road car in SC style. The Prince Skyline BLRA-3 is another one to attempt.

Try a Dubonnet Xenia.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Try a Dubonnet Xenia.

drat, that rules. It's like a Bugatti 57 on crack

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

I built the GWP adidas shoe today and it's v cute little set. Sucks that the adidas box tile and tongue label are stickers tho.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Lego.com is showing 2 new promotions for me: The Charles Dickens Tribute set free with orders over $150(USD), and 2x VIP points(though apparently the double VIP points aren't active yet). Both for July 12th-18th. And the mini-Adidas shoe promotion is still going until the 20th. So if you buy a set over $150 will you get both of those?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

I like this AT-AT and haven't had any issues apart from some of the front guns fall off from a gentle breeze

The big thing I noticed is that the click hinges on it were way weaker than on the old one which seems like more of a parts issue than a build issue. They are hella floppy

Also they really cheaped out on the snowtroopers. That was always my favorite Lego imperial troop along with the sandtroopers because they had a bunch of accessories like the little skirts for their long coats and the backpacks. They totally ditched all of that with the new AT-AT

otherwise it's very cool. Looks great even though it's like 1/3rd minifigure scale. Gimme the UCS Lego.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

RatHat posted:

Lego.com is showing 2 new promotions for me: The Charles Dickens Tribute set free with orders over $150(USD), and 2x VIP points(though apparently the double VIP points aren't active yet). Both for July 12th-18th. And the mini-Adidas shoe promotion is still going until the 20th. So if you buy a set over $150 will you get both of those?

Yep! Doesn’t have to be a single purchase either. Shame I don’t want the Daily Bugle anymore (finding a place for it is such a hassle) but on the other hand I got the dickens set already and a ton of non exclusive stuff is much cheaper on reseller sites.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Ordered the Daily Bugle and got two freebies, but I think the VIP points were wrong. I'm going to let the order sit for a bit and then call customer service to ask about the VIP points.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Finally pulled my UCS Snowspeeder out of Lego garage storage and built it. Meh. I was thoroughly whelmed. Maybe the last few years have spoiled me on creative design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? That is one of my favorite builds and display models. Easily my favorite SW UCS next to the Falcon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

Really? That is one of my favorite builds and display models. Easily my favorite SW UCS next to the Falcon.

04 or 17?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

17, the 04 one looks like shart.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Whats the best way to buy a LOT of skeletons

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go back to 2007 and buy a dozen copies of set 7029? :v:

I'd just bricklink as many as you can afford.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

xzzy posted:

Just saw that set for the first time, holy poo poo that thing owns.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
it was not all that long ago bricklink sent me a thing telling me my account was going to expire and I was like "I don't see new bionicles coming out and I don't feel like messing with the ones I have and probably won't for a while. I see no need to open this." how foolish I was

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

xzzy posted:

i found someone on ebay with a pretty good deal; bricklink was the first place I checked but I was hoping I could find better deals than 3 dollars per skeleton

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
What is the upper limit on # of skeletons you are hoping to buy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Just saw that set for the first time, holy poo poo that thing owns.

It is a cool set but like half the boat is a single hull piece which really annoys me. The trap door on the castle owns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
The new Spooky VIP Pack will have six skeletons per pack (check the parts inventory): https://brickset.com/sets/40513-1/Spooky-VIP-Add-On-Pack

Tony Sorete fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 13, 2021