Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I'm sure it's different on an industrial ag scale and stuff, but the corn in my backyard seemed to absolutely love the Portland heatwave a few weeks ago :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

crepeface posted:

what do they do for washington dc cos it's loving disgusting

DC uses the Potomac, but I think they branch it off just past Great Falls. There's still a ton of Ag runoff from all the "farms" on either side that are mostly just tax shelters for the rich, though. Oh, and golf courses. So many riverside and river-adjacent golf courses.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Jul 12, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crepeface posted:

what do they do for washington dc cos it's loving disgusting

yeah they get it from the potomac it'll be the same thing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i literally couldn't drink from soda fountains there but some of my friends didn't seem to notice it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

i literally couldn't drink from soda fountains there but some of my friends didn't seem to notice it.

Assume you meant water fountains but lmao anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Soda fountains take tap water, carbonate it, and add flavoring syrup (mostly sugar).

Yeah there may be a filter, but if the water is bad enough, the taste can come through.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Jul 12, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Assume you meant water fountains but lmao anyway

nah, i meant the post-mix soda you'd get at a fast food place. i could taste it through the flavouring

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

nah, i meant the post-mix soda you'd get at a fast food place. i could taste it through the flavouring

Jesus gently caress that’s dire

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Real hurthling! posted:

popcorns on the menu

oh no, we actually may for real get the dreaded popcornado

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Mayor Dave posted:

im the canal across the rockies

Elon musk has already solved this problem, just dig tunnels, truly genius

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

you pump water in pipes in a straight line from the great lakes to the west coast through the curvature of the earth. go under the rockies, and get bonus geothermal power

image of a similar project involving burritos

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i can 100% see them using water trucks

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i can 100% see them using water trucks

it's this, we've given up on any infrastructure more advanced than cars, and water trucks is already how it gets moved around when entire cities run out of water in india

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
poo poo it's already how they do it in southern california's more isolated communities

https://twitter.com/hstoorg/status/1364659992524034051

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There have been proposals to bring barges to the mouths of rivers, fill them with fresh water at low tide, and haul them to seaports where water is scarcer.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it's this, we've given up on any infrastructure more advanced than cars, and water trucks is already how it gets moved around when entire cities run out of water in india

that's also what they did in PA when fracking made the groundwater unusable

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Water hauling has happened for decades.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s cool when we gently caress up the Earth so badly with fossil fuel extraction that we have to burn more fossil fuels to tread water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LseK5gp66u8

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s cool when we gently caress up the Earth so badly with fossil fuel extraction that we have to burn more fossil fuels to tread water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LseK5gp66u8

lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Revolution#Dependence_on_non-renewable_resources

lmao

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

So instead of being one and done, this heat dome thing just travels across the land like a slow moving laser beam. Awesome.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They're not going away. They're the inverse of the polar vortex. Which means unless the Arctic jet-stream restabilizes miraculously this is just how things are now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Lacrosse posted:

So instead of being one and done, this heat dome thing just travels across the land like a slow moving laser beam. Awesome.

Otacon posted:

When the bubble breaks is all this heat gonna mosey on over to the rest of the US?

I asked about this 30 pages ago and I guess everyone assumed it was a hypothetical question...

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Kjgr995UM&t=28s

:krad:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

It is estimated that no more than 3.7 billion people of the current world population could be fed without this single fossil fuel agricultural input.

oh, that's cool. get ready for the climate thread to start calling this wikipedia article malthusian

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Otacon posted:

I asked about this 30 pages ago and I guess everyone assumed it was a hypothetical question...

Does this make sense to you? Heatdomes aren't bubbles. The weak, wavy jetstream sees pockets of hot and cold; it allows cold air to travel further south and warm air to travel further north.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

wavenumber 69

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
is the malthusian controversy based on whether or not population growth is sustainable environmentally or not? is there something else?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Radirot posted:

is the malthusian controversy based on whether or not population growth is sustainable environmentally or not? is there something else?

It's based on genocide and eugenics, hth

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Does this make sense to you? Heatdomes aren't bubbles. The weak, wavy jetstream sees pockets of hot and cold; it allows cold air to travel further south and warm air to travel further north.

Wow that's fucky

Is it normally like that? I feel like it shouldn't be...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Otacon posted:

Wow that's fucky

Is it normally like that? I feel like it shouldn't be...

Very much not normal. It's been weakening for a long time now but the levy broke, so to speak, a few years ago or whenever you first heard the term polar vortex.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's based on genocide and eugenics, hth

neat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it rains p much every day in nyc lately. my poor window box plants are drowning

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah, NYC's gone straight up tropical this year. It's temperatures in the mid 80s and higher, high humidity, and scattered showers. Smaller range heavy downpours vs the consistent lighter rains over a day or two that you'd expect at this latitude. But the humidity is really killing. Yesterday the mercury was under 80F all day (pretty sure?) and I still managed a nice layer of sweat on a short dusk walk. gently caress off!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There's always a polar vortex. It's a permanent feature of Earth's atmosphere. And it's position migrates seasonally (climate) and daily/weekly (weather).

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

it was like two weeks between -20°F and +80 where i live this year. i'm used to big swings but not like that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SirPablo posted:

There's always a polar vortex. It's a permanent feature of Earth's atmosphere. And it's position migrates seasonally (climate) and daily/weekly (weather).

Yes. Like I said, most people have only heard the phrase for the first time (relatively) recently because it's migrating lower than previously due to the hosed jetstream. Did you have a further point or...??

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I was thinking today about my lovely childhood in eastern NC and how I grew up across the sound from the world's biggest phosphorous mine, and how my home county's highest elevation is like 30', and the county seat is like at 10', and the small rear end town Aurora NC, near that aforementioned mine, is at like three loving feet.

So what happens when that thing is underwater? Do we keep mining with higher overhead costs or do we see some dramatic food price increases? Or probably both?

Edit: oh sorry its the "largest integrated phosphate mining and chemical plant in the world." Not the largest phosphate mine, the biggest phosphate mines in the US are in Florida so thats probably fine then.

GEMorris has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Jul 12, 2021

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
The poles are colder than the equator resulting in a pressure drop. This induces parcels to move from the equator toward the poles. As they move they are deflected by the rotation of the Earth. This is called the Coriolis effect and it becomes stronger as you move toward the poles. In the Northern Hemisphere, this moves parcels of air eastward. Overall, you have parcels of air moving to the northeast with the eastward direction becoming stronger the further north you go.

The temperature gradient from equator to pole and the strength of the Coriolis effect are what determine the general strength of the jet stream. While Earth's rotation has been constant, global heating is increasing temperatures in the Arctic much faster than at the poles. This decreases the temperature gradient and weakens the jet stream.

A strong jet stream is fast, orderly, and less wavy. A weak jet stream is slower, more disorderly, and more wavy. Lots of the recent research on extreme weather is related to the knock-on effects caused by having a more "wavy" jet stream. The tl;dr is to expect lots more extreme events that last for long times. Everyone at latitudes that are affected by the jet stream get excess storminess underneath the low pressure systems and pressure cooker heat domes underneath the high pressure systems in our wavy future.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

jupiter: hold my beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

VectorSigma posted:

jupiter: hold my beer

love when my storm's storms have storms.