Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah since no one posted about it yet

Look at these two! :kimchi:

I mean they're trying to devour a whole village, but still!

The bits where they talked about how nice the old lady was gave a tiny bit of meat to the whole "It's not about morality. It's about survival." talk from Grimm. As a werewolf among werewolves, she really was the nice old lady she acted like.

It's just, you know. She was nice as a creature that lives to eat people. By human standards, less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I'm digging Red Hood so far. I hope it leans into the angle of the party game of werewolf rather than battle shonen - I would totally be down for a series that's mostly based around different whodunit scenarios trying to puzzle out who the werewolves are, with a payoff of a cool action scene.

Will they have a tanner who wants to get lynched though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reiche posted:

I absolutely love that the cliffhanger at the end of ch. 209 was Mikumo’s laptop running out of juice before he could do his homework.

World Trigger isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it’s unique enough to keep me coming back for more every time!

World Trigger is best if you think of it as a sports manga.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I grew up with Inuyasha and love it to this day. The original anime was drat near perfect in my opinion. Then The Final Act crushed my heart after I obsessively waited for Viz to dub and release it for two straight years. I've never seen worse pacing in a show in my life. It was in no way a satisfying finish to my beloved series.

So I wanted tor read the manga's version of things. Only I can only read manga online and Viz themselves told me as far as back as 2014 that the Japanese side of things would not allow them to make Inuyasha available digitally. This was the state of affairs every time I checked for years and years.

Well I just learned Inuyasha is finally available digitally via Viz, Kindle. and Comixology. It has been for months now. I can finally collect the last...it looks like VIZBIG Vol 12 or 13 is where the original anime ended so 12-18 at $14 a piece. Not too bad.

Of course Inuyasha ran way, way too long and was at its peak much earlier but I still wanna give it a try.. It can't be worse than Final Act.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 6, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1413544741514383373
Looks like Netflix was good for something after all.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mashle Hooray Mash is back!

Roboco gives us the Gorilla Gachi origin story we all were waiting for.

Magu-chan, Naputaku finally struts his stuff for once

I'm enjoying Red Hood quite a bit, Grimm telling Velou to not bother getting mad at the werewolves killing each other is a refreshing change of pace. The mentor/mentee dynamic here seems like it could go some interesting places

Neru I'm still not entirely sold on. I'll stick with it to see where it goes but I'm just not really clear on what the story wants to be. This seems like the type of thing that will fizzle out quick because it can't grab an audience.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Alacron posted:

Mashle Hooray Mash is back!

Three entire chapters of build-up for the Falcon Knee of Justice. Entirely worth it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Neru feels like some really old manga someone suddenly decided to scanlate

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That Sakamoto panel was absolutely terrifying. It's an old trope, but the artist really sold it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Three entire chapters of build-up for the Falcon Knee of Justice. Entirely worth it.

Guy Sensei would be so proude of Mash.

Sakamoto also made for an unnerving introduction to this killer X guy.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I saw Candy Flurry on the Viz recommended thing after finishing another chapter of something and I read through it and I've decided I love it, and will be devastated when they announce its cancellation in 2 months.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

I saw Candy Flurry on the Viz recommended thing after finishing another chapter of something and I read through it and I've decided I love it, and will be devastated when they announce its cancellation in 2 months.

Might be even sooner, tbh. But it's surprisingly funny and charming.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah I went from "gently caress are you for serious" to "gently caress YES" in one panel

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Just a thought, shouldn't there be another new series starting? We've had three cancellations/endings (Cop & Dolphin, i tell c, and Nine Dragons) but only two new ones in Red Hood and Neru.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that SJ only cancelled something when they had a new series ready to replace it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

Just a thought, shouldn't there be another new series starting? We've had three cancellations/endings (Cop & Dolphin, i tell c, and Nine Dragons) but only two new ones in Red Hood and Neru.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that SJ only cancelled something when they had a new series ready to replace it.

Maybe Hunter is coming back soon?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I read the first 10 or so chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh (the "Season 0" material before the card game took over), and I found it pretty disappointing. Somehow I had the impression that it was something like Kaiji or the Darby arcs in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but in early Yu-Gi-Oh the actual games feel like an afterthought, a pretext for Yugi's Egyptian alternate personality to inflict sadistic supernatural punishments on people. This might even have been interesting if the people being punished were interesting, but instead they're just assholes in a contrived way.

I then started on Undead Unluck, which I think is pretty much the only ongoing Jump battle manga I didn't read before, and I actually liked it (as of about 20 chapters in). Andy is an rear end in a top hat (especially early on when he's being a sexual harasser), but both he and the Unluck girl are pretty unconventional protagonists for a shonen battle manga, and I like the bizarre setting with the eldritch book giving arbitrary quests and the Lathe of Heaven-style reality changes. (Chainsaw Man introduced a similar reality-changing concept towards the end; I'm not sure which series did it first, but it's a lot more plot-central in Undead Unluck.) The fights are also creative, although Andy's gory power can make them hard to follow at times.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 12, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe Hunter is coming back soon?

Well it's been nearly 3 years... :negative:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I read the first 10 or so chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh (the "Season 0" material before the card game took over), and I found it pretty disappointing. Somehow I had the impression that it was something like Kaiji or the Darby arcs in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but in early Yu-Gi-Oh the actual games feel like an afterthought, a pretext for Yugi's Egyptian alternate personality to inflict sadistic supernatural punishments on people. This might even have been interesting if the people being punished were interesting, but instead they're just assholes in a contrived way.

Imho the whole premise of “dark trickster god ruins lives of cartoonishly evil villains of the week” owns and it’s a shame the series moved on to high stakes Calvinball (relatively) but I can aesthetic how it’d be disappointing from the perspective of expecting actual strategic fights and not just, you know, an eldritch capricious trickster god to dunk on assholes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

cisneros posted:

Neru feels like some really old manga someone suddenly decided to scanlate

I really like it so far, I like the character designs and they do look pretty old school. It has some nice interesting paneling and I liked the humor in the chapter.

This weeks high school family was great too. I just love how leaned in to the premise they are. Don't have typical parent-child arguments here!! Great HxH ref too

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 12, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I'm enjoying neru so far too but it's early days so we'll see how it pans out

nice art always helps. tends to get me to stick around longer

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Brought To You By posted:

Well it's been nearly 3 years... :negative:

I wonder how many manga have started and ended in shonen jump since HxH has gone on break.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I then started on Undead Unluck, which I think is pretty much the only ongoing Jump battle manga I didn't read before, and I actually liked it (as of about 20 chapters in). Andy is an rear end in a top hat (especially early on when he's being a sexual harasser), but both he and the Unluck girl are pretty unconventional protagonists for a shonen battle manga, and I like the bizarre setting with the eldritch book giving arbitrary quests and the Lathe of Heaven-style reality changes. (Chainsaw Man introduced a similar reality-changing concept towards the end; I'm not sure which series did it first, but it's a lot more plot-central in Undead Unluck.) The fights are also creative, although Andy's gory power can make them hard to follow at times.

This. I bounced off Undead Unluck hard. I hated Andy so much and I still don't like him. But the story and the setting are interesting enough that I have started to keep up with the series now. The current arc is pretty interesting.

Sakamoto: Sakamoto is good. Scary man was Scary. The interactions were sweet, there's a lot of set up and I loved the return of killing you in my thoughts but with a twist. It got a chuckle out of me.

Magu chan: Magu chan currently has me interested. This is definitely something that it needed.

Elusive Samurai was funny.

Roboco: Was funny.

Witch Watch: Please don't become generic shounen. :ohdear: But a lot of plot is happening currently.

Candy Flurry: Does this feel like the pre axe speed up to anyone? Irie is cool though. And pretty funny.

Mashle: Hot dang that final spread. It was exactly what this manga needed right now.

Hunter: Really? A Chekov series? I found the art to be a little hard to follow sometimes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: Good poo poo, the one shrine dude going "This bondage play is way too advanced for a boy of his age!" was hilarious as gently caress to me. The supernatural element introduced here (besides the future sight stuff) has got me wondering where this is going.

Magu: Mediocre chapter (for the third time in a row) that was saved by Falcon Knee.

Roboco: Bondo's friends are good people and it was nice to see some backstory. Also, some dude on Reddit was super determined to find the issue of SJ that appeared in the chapter. Could just be coincidence but given how often the series brings up SJ stuff I wouldn't be surprised if the author was referencing an actual issue.

quote:

After looking at Jump issues where One Piece was on the cover and "Yuuna going for it in the classroom," I've narrowed down the issue they were reading. Small spoilers from the issues below.

I'm pretty sure its Issue 18 2018 because it was the only one to have Yuuna the ghost nominating herself to work with MC in the classroom. JJK was on its 5th chapter, Demon Slayer ended the fight with Moon 6, TPN they fight Bayon the poacher demon at Goldy Pond, MHA had the Gentle fight starting, One Piece had Big Mom eating the cake, Haikyu had Karasuno and Nekoma facing each other. Hunter X Hunter had the Phantom Troupe in its last chapter before a 7 month hiatus too.

The only other issue it could be is Issue 6-7 2019, which has Yuuna's Chisaki accidently getting naked with MC in the classroom, not the ghost. JJK was in the Kyoto event arc, TPN they meet Norman again, Demon Slayer had Shinobu's in the Infinity Castle arc. MHA had Ochako save Deku from Black whip, One Piece had introductions to CP0 and Wano Characters, Haikyu they were facing Fukurōdani Academy.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Magu: Mediocre chapter (for the third time in a row) that was saved by Falcon Knee.

I do hope that's Mashle.

Because Magu-Chan was loving dope! Naputaaku rules so much!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mulderman posted:

I do hope that's Mashle.

Because Magu-Chan was loving dope! Naputaaku rules so much!

Oh yeah I meant Mashle, I've never read Magu-Chan so I can't talk about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

You can do it, Candy Flurry. I still believe in you.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Witch Watch :ohdear:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Witch Watch :ohdear:

Witch Watch is doing fine saleswise.

Darth TNT posted:

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1402899831165796352?s=21

I have no idea how to imbed Twitter messages. Just pretend it says that a reprint of Witch Watch volume 1 is headed to stores in Japan basically tripling the volumes in the wild.

That’s not what it says though. It’s only double.

Edit: well I’ll be. It worked! No need to pretend then.

I don't read Blue Box anymore, but I do love that art style.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I Am Fowl posted:

I wonder how many manga have started and ended in shonen jump since HxH has gone on break.

Hunter x Hunter last showed up in issue 52 of 2018 (the last issue of that year, since the issues roughly correspond with the weeks in a given year, sometimes with a double issue).

Series that have started and ended since (in boldface notable series):

Chainsaw Man (1/2019 - 2/2021);
ne0;lation (2/2019 - 22-23/2019);
Hell Warden Higuma (3/2019 - 24/2019);
The Last Saiyuki (14/2019 - 38/2019);
Yui Kamio Lets Loose (15/2019 - 52/2019);
Samurai 8 (24/2019 - 17/2020);
Double Taisei (25/2019 - 52/2019);
Beast Children (26/2019 - 1/2020);
Tokyo Shinobi Squad (27/2019 - 2/2020);
Mitama Security: Spirit Busters (40/2019 - 36-37/2020);
Dr. Stone Reboot: Byakuya (48/2019 - 4/2020);
Zipman!! (1/2020 - 19/2020);
Agravity Boys (2/2020 - 5-6/2021);
Guardian of the Witch (10/2020 - 29/2020);
Moriking (20/2020 - 7/2021);
Bone Collection (21-22/2020 - 7/2021);
Time Paradox Ghostwriter (24/2020 - 39/2020);
Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin (30/2020 - 29/2021);
Phantom Seer (39/2020 - 18/2021);
Our Blood Oath (41/2020 - 8/2021);
Build King (50/2020 - 19/2021);
i tell c (9/2021 - 30/2021);
Nine Dragons' Ball Parade (11/2021 - 31/2021).

Yes, it's a lot.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Witch Watch: Please don't become generic shounen. :ohdear: But a lot of plot is happening currently..

Witch Watch is going for that Gag Manga with Occasional Serious Arcs slot left by Gintama so there’ll be more of that probably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Undead Unluck appears to have gotten a sudden boost.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm frankly surprised Undead Unluck doesn't have a larger following. It has a unique setting + premise, creative fights, and fun characters. It's also been around for a while now, so obviously people are enjoying it and reading it, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone talking about it outside of this thread. I've seen more fanart and discussion on twitter around Red Hood than I have Undead Unluck, and that only has 3 chapters!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

at this rate i expect Red Hood to die and leave fanart of the giant lady as its only lasting impact so honestly Unluck could do worse

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I'm frankly surprised Undead Unluck doesn't have a larger following. It has a unique setting + premise, creative fights, and fun characters. It's also been around for a while now, so obviously people are enjoying it and reading it, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone talking about it outside of this thread. I've seen more fanart and discussion on twitter around Red Hood than I have Undead Unluck, and that only has 3 chapters!

Well UU did not have the best first few chapters, then picked up a lot after that.

UU is nicely set up that the creator can keep the story going as long as they want.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Undead Unluck starts out with a whooooole lot of joking about sexual assault and I'm sure that turns off a lot of readers. It did for me, I read like ~3 chapters and dropped it immediately.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

andy is the worst protag in jump right now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

andy is the worst protag in jump right now

He's really improved. Though I consider Fuuko to be the actual protagonist.

Also I just realized how much Undead as an ability sucks. According to an author note. Andy can still feel pain, it's just become background noise to him at this point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 12, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Undead Unluck is pretty crazy in terms of the scope/stakes/powers stuff which is what sets it apart. It's another one in the "Dr. Stone" category where apparently editorial and critics just love it to bits but readers are more like "eh, it's alright". Undead Unluck won awards and promptly got outsold by Mashle. Dr. Stone has just an absurd amount of editorial support clearly with extra pages, color pages, a kinda pointless spinoff, lots of advertising- and it still sells pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

dogsicle posted:

at this rate i expect Red Hood to die and leave fanart of the giant lady as its only lasting impact so honestly Unluck could do worse

Did the idea of Red Hood come before or after the author played Resident Evil Village?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Legitimately hope the author just inserts that lady wholesale into whatever they do next