Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Back in 2011 when the band Mutemath released the album Odd Soul, there was a... sort of performance sort of music video thing that I think maybe was done for some music website or music channel or something? It was the band playing the song "In No Time" in the garage of the lead singer Paul Meany. I distinctly remember it was an even more chiller and low key rendition of the song, with Meany on an older Rhodes or maybe Hammond organ, drummer Darren King sitting and playing on a cajon, and I think guitarist/bassist Roy Mitchel-Cardenas playing guitar and some incidental percussion - maybe a cabasa? Don't quite remember. It was all definitely professionally produced and very well shot and mixed.

I think it was on Vimeo and had like "From Paul Meany's Garage" in the title, but the video was taken down maybe some time in 2013 or 2014 because I guess whatever music website it was put on by went bust. I haven't seen hide nor hair of it in years and can't even find reference to it as a thing that existed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Digital-Smoke posted:

The name of a late 80's, early 90's tv show that featured an elephant, that really loved peanuts. It was on either before or after Eureeka's Castle. I believe that it was also a puppet type show, like EC. They had a promotional item in the stores of either a elephant shaped peanut butter jar, or a tub of peanut butter featuring the characters from the show. My daughter is almost 3 and i've been excitedly introducing her to the shows i grew up with. Any help would be appreciated with the name of the show, bonus points if you can find the promo item i was talking about. I sure would love to buy one.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It wouldn't be Sharon, Lois, and Bram's 'The Elephant Show', would it? Peanut butter featured heavily in one of the recurring songs and it was on Nickelodeon in reruns well into the 90s.

Article about The Elephant Show with some clips:
https://www.throwbacks.com/do-you-remember-the-elephant-show-2197743154

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Years ago there was a video of a Japanese woman interviewing some white weaboo in Japan. During the interview he accidentally insults her by referring to her with a word he had heard from anime which turned out to be a rude way to refer to someone.

For the life of me I can't find this clip. it was relevant to a recent conversation but I don't remember anymore details and it's basically impossible for me to search for

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Numbuh 212 posted:

- The scariest one, that kept me up that night. Two siblings buy some kind of silly-putty type stuff, with a packet of directions. They read the directions backwards for some reason, and the goo expands to fill up their whole house. I remember the ending was their parents coming home from a date night and the main character tries to warn them, but can't (maybe the goo has turned out the lights?)

This isn't the Goosebumps book Monster Blood, is it?

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?
A little PSA for those who haven't heard, since it sounds like a whole new category of white whale that's about to trouble the web.

On July 23, Youtube is moving Unlisted videos uploaded prior to 2017 to Private status, unless their owners opt out of the change. This is reportedly a security issue, since older video IDs were assigned from a sequential key or something and if the key leaked it would be easy to walk through and discover videos. But what it also means is that without explicit action from channel owners, a lot of content will become inaccessible - and many owners may be unaware of this, or unable to log in (locked out, dead, etc.). I'm not even sure if the opt-out ability will be offered after the 23rd; if it's not, it may be difficult to maintain the old links and the unlisted behavior at the same time, so swift action is best.

People have been pointing out the downsides to this and collateral damage in the comments to the video below, and they also include things such as branching CYOA games where the content is anything but sensitive from a privacy point but would be silly to have Public, bonus videos plainly linked in other video descriptions, curated-playlist-only videos, etc. (Youtube is apparently sending specific alerts to owners of playlists with affected content, at least.) Also, of course, lots of web embeds and old message board links that will become dead just because of an attempt at limited visibility.

So spread the word! I'm not sure how much active users are doing with this, though I hope they're rescuing their old videos by and large (e.g. Techmoan holiday bonus videos), but make sure people know. Opt out your own channel if you want (I really doubt the security risk is major even for stuff like home movies)! And if you have any favorite old unlisted videos owned by someone else, now is the time to not only try to contact people to fix it but to do some archiving. I'm going to have to find time to pore through emails to see what needs attention. For deceased account owners, there must be some way to take custody of those accounts, right?

(For the SA frontpage, movie reviews and things like that, those embeds are generally public videos, right?)

Info: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9230970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UHS1-vDMM

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Harvey TWH posted:

A little PSA for those who haven't heard, since it sounds like a whole new category of white whale that's about to trouble the web.

On July 23, Youtube is moving Unlisted videos uploaded prior to 2017 to Private status, unless their owners opt out of the change. This is reportedly a security issue, since older video IDs were assigned from a sequential key or something and if the key leaked it would be easy to walk through and discover videos. But what it also means is that without explicit action from channel owners, a lot of content will become inaccessible - and many owners may be unaware of this, or unable to log in (locked out, dead, etc.). I'm not even sure if the opt-out ability will be offered after the 23rd; if it's not, it may be difficult to maintain the old links and the unlisted behavior at the same time, so swift action is best.

People have been pointing out the downsides to this and collateral damage in the comments to the video below, and they also include things such as branching CYOA games where the content is anything but sensitive from a privacy point but would be silly to have Public, bonus videos plainly linked in other video descriptions, curated-playlist-only videos, etc. (Youtube is apparently sending specific alerts to owners of playlists with affected content, at least.) Also, of course, lots of web embeds and old message board links that will become dead just because of an attempt at limited visibility.

So spread the word! I'm not sure how much active users are doing with this, though I hope they're rescuing their old videos by and large (e.g. Techmoan holiday bonus videos), but make sure people know. Opt out your own channel if you want (I really doubt the security risk is major even for stuff like home movies)! And if you have any favorite old unlisted videos owned by someone else, now is the time to not only try to contact people to fix it but to do some archiving. I'm going to have to find time to pore through emails to see what needs attention. For deceased account owners, there must be some way to take custody of those accounts, right?

(For the SA frontpage, movie reviews and things like that, those embeds are generally public videos, right?)

Info: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9230970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UHS1-vDMM

woah this is a weird place for me to get this news but thanks! I have about 200 hours of unlisted video content, though I don't think it would wreck anything had mine got switched to private without my noticing...

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So I used to read the best of NaNoWriMo Tumblr. Some offshoot of it was a Tumblr that had funny tweets people directed at band Twitter accounts. I remember one was Best Buy and someone tweeted "how I download WUTANG" And another was about Whataburger and swimp the racoon. Anyone know about this? It existed around 2012 and the last post was about Obama's reelection

EDIT: wow literally just found it: https://corporatetwits.tumblr.com/

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This isn't the Goosebumps book Monster Blood, is it?

Definitely not, I never read Goosebumps because the covers freaked me out too much, haha

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A norwegian comedy bit where the comedian conducts an interview while someone else plays with their testicles (ie putting ice on them and such).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vague one, sorry - I've been looking for a while for a point-and-click adventure game I played with my grandmother back when I saw her regularly (so this is almost certainly pre-2010). We played a lot of these so the elements mix a bit, but one bit of this one stood out even forgetting the rest. All I remember was a specific puzzle area, a bunker or underground building of some sort by a frozen lake that had musical puzzle(s) inside. It's entirely possible I'm mentally blending two separate games but knowing that will settle my mind at least.

If this helps, this is an incomplete list of games she and I played together when most of them were new, to nail down a time period:

• The full Myst series (not any of these, well documented enough I know)
  • Lighthouse (unlikely)
  • Syberia I and II (most likely on setting, but it was first person and Syberia is not - after this entry I don't remember the rest of these games well enough to say if it is or isn't likely)
  • Schizm
  • Atlantis I, II, and III
  • Dark Fall I and II
  • Hell
  • A LOT of Nancy Drew
  • Shivers

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not quite sure this is it, but underground bunker and frozen lake sounds like Myst V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f323o4Ou_WA

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Quarex posted:

ANYWAY I finally realized I do have some white whales. One is something that really seems like it should be findable, as it was on some (legit) techno compilation a friend let me borrow; I liked the song so much I made a mix tape of JUST THAT SONG to play whenever that friend was over. The song was clearly called "KINGS" as that is what I wrote all over both sides of the tape, and the only part I remember now years after losing the tape is the chorus, where a guy who sounds completely insane says, in sort of a "they're coming to take me away, ha-ha" sing-songy style:

* "All of US! All of YOU! YOU'RE KINGS! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!" and then an, I guess for lack of better term, generic Egyptian melody plays out, like something you expect to hear in a cartoon if they are entering a pyramid or maybe charming a snake, and then back to whatever the verse was, including lots of chopped samples of a woman going "uh-uh uh uh-uhhh uhuh-uhhhh." Best sentence ever
Hey Dr. Quarex, I got me covered; I finally both relocated that tape we taped it on and also kept my father from throwing out his old Aiwa boombox so I could play it on something, just for the purposes of this thread!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4K0l_SMZ9E

And indeed, Googling the other lyrics I am now re-learning has gotten me no farther in my search.

TELL ME you would not also want to learn what this song was (I believe you if you think it sucks obviously, though this is twice-awfulized quality between the original CD-to-tape recording and this tape-to-cell-phone recording; I promise the original is hella crisp)

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
There are two videogames that were on a black gaming console (megadrive? Genesis? Neogeo?) some time in the early to mid ninties

One game was a side scroller where you could turn into different animals to explore different parts of the level. I remember a hawk and a rat at least.

The other one was about monsters, and at the end you fly around in a skeleton car or a cart made of a skull or something.

Theres a strong chance these were just dreams i had

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Were you a ninja in the animal one

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ilikedirt posted:

One game was a side scroller where you could turn into different animals to explore different parts of the level. I remember a hawk and a rat at least.

Not Wonder Boy 3, was it? Originally for the Master System, been remastered recently! Very faithful to the original, I still get stuck on the pirate dragon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 9, 2021

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Maybe a year or two ago there was a thread about a guy posting about a crazy neighbour or a generally crazy person that wound up harassing his wife (among others). I believe this poster's wife was a lawyer on the case prosecuting the crazy guy , and she was was feeding the op all the latest details from the case against this crazy person which the op duly posted for our amusement. I think this crazy person might have found the thread, which caused the op to close it because of the ongoing legal case?

Was there any resolution to this? Was the thread reopened?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No but the goon said he's going to post an update on the situation soon.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

rodbeard posted:

No but the goon said he's going to post an update on the situation soon.

Please please please post a link when he does! I used to follow that thread a few years ago, :f5: ‘ing my lil’ heart out! I clearly remember it being great because of the goon comments crowd; truly hadn’t had as much fun since any Everdraed thread or Goon-in-a-hole conversation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This was in the 10s. Standard modern rock radio station in Minneapolis Minnesota. Kind of an indie rock sounding song. The only lyrics I caught where "steady now Freddy... Rock steady" which I thought would be enough but was not. Impossible to Google with just that. Have never heard it since.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This was in the 10s. Standard modern rock radio station in Minneapolis Minnesota. Kind of an indie rock sounding song. The only lyrics I caught where "steady now Freddy... Rock steady" which I thought would be enough but was not. Impossible to Google with just that. Have never heard it since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69lcRB1qco8

This maybe? Or a cover thereof?

I also have a song question:

Am I going nuts or did there used to be 'rock' versions of songs on Imogen Heap's album Ellipse? I can't find any evidence of this ever existing, or even alternate versions. There are instrumentals, I don't think they were it, but they have also been wiped off streaming services and YT for some weird reason. Specifically looking for the song 'Tidal'.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jeza posted:

Am I going nuts or did there used to be 'rock' versions of songs on Imogen Heap's album Ellipse? I can't find any evidence of this ever existing, or even alternate versions. There are instrumentals, I don't think they were it, but they have also been wiped off streaming services and YT for some weird reason. Specifically looking for the song 'Tidal'.

A huge amount of electronic remixes are out there, but are you thinking of this?
https://effyeahimogenheap.tumblr.com/post/2410300066

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jeza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69lcRB1qco8

This maybe? Or a cover thereof?

I also have a song question:

Nope, I've got this album and thought for a second I had found it when reading the lyrics sheet. This was in the chorus, and was a much more modern song. Like that 10s hard rock style. Gold on the Ceiling by Black Keys came on right after, for context.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
I never did find that drat CYOA book from earlier in this thread. Even emailed the publisher, and they couldn't help me out. Maybe I imagined it? :shrug:

Anyway, got 2 more. The first one is an animated cartoon from the 70s or 80s I think, where the woodland creatures (deer, squirrels, rabbits etc) are gathering around listening to the elder critter talk about the events leading up to the extinction of humans. It then shows a flashback to a WWI trench warfare style battle, where two soldiers wearing gasmasks are shooting at each other, and both hit each other at the same time, and both die. They were the last two humans on earth and they killed each other, and now the talking woodland animals have inherited the earth and then....idk. It's a very dated animation style, like the original Looney Tunes.

The second one is a documentary/series that might have been on Discovery or the History channel or something, about prehistoric humans, which was meant to be serious and informative I guess, but the costumes they had these actors in looked goddamn ridiculous, they looked kind of like the Geico cavemen as I recall. So these Geico-cavemen looking people are out foraging, and one of them finds a tarantula sitting on a tree, they pick it up and stuff it straight into their mouth and eat it, I remember clearly the scene of the tarantula legs hanging out of the dude's goddamn mouth as he's chewing :barf:

dstyle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 11, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's Peace on Earth (edit: thr first one in your post). It's short and not much else happens.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 11, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

That's Peace on Earth (edit: thr first one in your post). It's short and not much else happens.

Here it is on Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuiut

The scene with the last two soldiers is at about 4:45

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

It definitely is, thanks!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

dstyle posted:

I never did find that drat CYOA book from earlier in this thread. Even emailed the publisher, and they couldn't help me out. Maybe I imagined it? :shrug:

Anyway, got 2 more. The first one is an animated cartoon from the 70s or 80s I think, where the woodland creatures (deer, squirrels, rabbits etc) are gathering around listening to the elder critter talk about the events leading up to the extinction of humans. It then shows a flashback to a WWI trench warfare style battle, where two soldiers wearing gasmasks are shooting at each other, and both hit each other at the same time, and both die. They were the last two humans on earth and they killed each other, and now the talking woodland animals have inherited the earth and then....idk. It's a very dated animation style, like the original Looney Tunes.

The second one is a documentary/series that might have been on Discovery or the History channel or something, about prehistoric humans, which was meant to be serious and informative I guess, but the costumes they had these actors in looked goddamn ridiculous, they looked kind of like the Geico cavemen as I recall. So these Geico-cavemen looking people are out foraging, and one of them finds a tarantula sitting on a tree, they pick it up and stuff it straight into their mouth and eat it, I remember clearly the scene of the tarantula legs hanging out of the dude's goddamn mouth as he's chewing :barf:

The first is Peace on Earth, which is also a Christmas cartoon and a heck of a wild ride when TNT played it after the likes of Sniffles’ Christmas Eve. :magical:

The second could be Walking With Cavemen. It was part of the Walking With Dinosaurs/Beasts/Creatures series but seems to have faded into obscurity.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Series of online comics, I remember them in detail except for the name and it's infuriating

Some I remember:

- Autobiographical, woman is at an art gallery, slaps a lit cigarette out of someone's hand and says "Don't smoke near the art, rear end in a top hat!". The rear end in a top hat is Slash, from Guns and Roses

- A man talks in his sleep, also recites poetry and sings light opera. His wife gets sick of it and puts the entire bed on the lawn, sitcom-style. Some passing beatniks think he's cool, pick up the entire bed, and put him in front of an open mike. He's an initial hit, but eventually audiences tire of him so the beatniks stop kidnapping him. The punchline is "he never lost any sleep over it".

- Multipart one where a device was invented that lets you record your dreams for others to experience. Therapists use them, but long-term consumption of the dreams of others mean you can't dream yourself, bringing insanity. The world goes into crisis as people chase the latest dreams, until someone has a dream where they're dreaming which undoes the damage.

- There's also a recurring character who's a little old grumpy smoking woman who is a 100% accurate fortune teller. She often tells Satan to gently caress off.

Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about? Artist was a woman, and they were usually monochrome.

Sorry to bother everyone with this again but this is still annoying me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The bit with slash should make it easy to find but I'm getting nothing on google

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Sorry to bother everyone with this again but this is still annoying me

These were unrefined, correct? broad lines at times, slightly odd perspective angles for some panels?
I have a recollection of a couple of them but I need to both wrack my brain and go through a pile of saved old images.

dorkthrone
Nov 11, 2019

There was a video of Joe Jackson performing "I'm The Man" on the Italian TV show Discoring, where the band just goofs off because it's a lip sync performance. Seems to not be on the internet anymore, though.

It's documented on https://www.jj-archive.net/tv/tv_index.html, but the link is dead.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

kupachek posted:

These were unrefined, correct? broad lines at times, slightly odd perspective angles for some panels?

Not that I recall, but this was years ago

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The part with the sleeping guy reciting poetry for beatniks sounds very much like something Sam Hendersson would write. The other parts, less so.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

The part with the sleeping guy reciting poetry for beatniks sounds very much like something Sam Hendersson would write. The other parts, less so.

No, it was a female cartoonist. She had another autobiographical one where she panicked about the size of her butt because Robert Crumb complimented her

e: As a one-panel throwaway in the comic, not as the focus

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 12, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

No, it was a female cartoonist. She had another autobiographical one where she panicked about the size of her butt because Robert Crumb complimented her

Oooof.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Not that I recall, but this was years ago

I remember the strips too, just not super clearly anymore. I wasted a few hours last night going over various female artists from the period I remember it from, but no luck spotting her yet. But I have recollections of four of the five that you've mentioned.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Not Wonder Boy 3, was it? Originally for the Master System, been remastered recently! Very faithful to the original, I still get stuck on the pirate dragon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/

Oh, wow, I had the Turbografx 16 port of this but it was called Dragon's Curse! I haven't thought of this in decades. Mouse-man and Hawk-man were the best, and there was a fish guy, and a tiger, and the dragon dude, and...

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Oh, wow, I had the Turbografx 16 port of this but it was called Dragon's Curse! I haven't thought of this in decades. Mouse-man and Hawk-man were the best, and there was a fish guy, and a tiger, and the dragon dude, and...

Gameplay still holds up IMO, and the new art is great. I like how the plot is getting cursed by a dragon, and then trying to find a dragon with an equal and opposing curse to cancel it out

(also Piranha man for lyfe)

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Don't know if this qualifies as a white whale, but........

I'd give anything to find the young man who gave me the best blowjob I ever had. We only dated for a short time, but oh boy, he could suck the peel off an apple. It was decades ago, but I've never forgotten him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

King Possum III posted:

Don't know if this qualifies as a white whale, but........

I'd give anything to find the young man who gave me the best blowjob I ever had. We only dated for a short time, but oh boy, he could suck the peel off an apple. It was decades ago, but I've never forgotten him.
Kinda mean making fun of his weight like that