Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The Goodberry issue, as I understand it, is that you can cast Goodberry with all of your slots while in a safe place, the day before you leave for an adventure. The long rest thing is only related in so far you can have a bit under 24 hours left on those berries in the morning instead of a bit under 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of long combats, our Frostmaiden DM is running what I assume to be homebrewed challenges to get the codicil from Auril; right now, we're halfway through 12 waves of combat based on the 12 Days of Christmas poem. Six lords a leaping ended up being 6 Red Slaads and we're getting absolutely destroyed. Two players "died" (we have 3 lives in the challenge) to larva rapidly incubating and then bursting out of their chests. So far this has taken like 10 rounds already and we've burnt through all of our resources.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Lotus Aura posted:

For a fight to last at least an hour, it'd need to be 600 rounds long.

The idea that this is mandatory to interrupt a long rest is ludicrous at best.

It looks to me like the idea is that you can spend up to an hour doing physical activities without losing your rest, which can include a mix of combat/walking/etc. Less "60 minutes of fighting", more "60 minutes of activity, including a fight".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah the only way I can see to read that is a "combat doesn't void the rest unless there are shenanigans" rule.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

change my name posted:

Speaking of long combats, our Frostmaiden DM is running what I assume to be homebrewed challenges to get the codicil from Auril; right now, we're halfway through 12 waves of combat based on the 12 Days of Christmas poem. Six lords a leaping ended up being 6 Red Slaads and we're getting absolutely destroyed. Two players "died" (we have 3 lives in the challenge) to larva rapidly incubating and then bursting out of their chests. So far this has taken like 10 rounds already and we've burnt through all of our resources.

That is homebrew, and your DM is a monster.

Lotus Aura posted:

For a fight to last at least an hour, it'd need to be 600 rounds long.

The idea that this is mandatory to interrupt a long rest is ludicrous at best.

It's ludicrous if you think a fight should cancel the long rest and rest the clock, but I think that's an excessive penalty. There's already a penalty for getting into a fight when you're trying to take a long rest: you're fighting with most of your resources depleted, presumably the reason why you chose to take that long rest in the first place.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the only way I can see to read that is a "combat doesn't void the rest unless there are shenanigans" rule.

It reads to me like they wanted to give the DM the option to add random encounters to a long rest without making the party then need to redo another long rest until the DM rolled a peaceful night, which seems reasonable.

I'm not a fan of random encounters during a rest unless the PCs try to rest somewhere they shouldn't and I'm trying to discourage that, but I understand that my tastes aren't universal. It's good that the rules allow it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PeterWeller posted:

That is homebrew, and your DM is a monster.

We're getting a long rest after this round and if we die here it won't stick + there's another way to get the codicil if we fail. Still, they did manage to off our seemingly immortal shield guardian, that guy totally destroyed the campaign's balance and it's really easy to come across.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toshimo posted:

Its pretty dumb, honestly, because combat averages 12-30 seconds, so you can fit an entire "adventuring day" of 6-8 combats into less than 5 minutes, so what the hell would even interrupt you for an entire hour?

Magical whatever that produces one (1) Awakened Shrub every 10 seconds for 1 hour and 30 seconds. Just an endless parade of shrubs that can be easily destroyed with cantrips.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can an awakened planet talk? It knows a language but it doesn't have a mouth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Can an awakened planet talk? It knows a language but it doesn't have a mouth

It can shift its features (mountain ranges, rivers, etc) to spell out words.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The oceans murmur, the hurricane shouts

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

or just do it like Solaris and give your players a truly memorable experience

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Villagers warn the heroes not to go into the haunted forest. People who go in there never return. Turns out the place is just chock full of Awakened Shrubs doing their best to protect the forest after their druid died.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Villagers warn the heroes not to go into the haunted forest. People who go in there never return. Turns out the place is just chock full of Awakened Shrubs doing their best to protect the forest after their druid died.

I've done this with Pathfinder's leshies before, it's really really fun.

e: the trick is to make the remaining plant guardians sympathetic and open to allying with the PCs, instead of a strict purge through combat.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2021

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Toshimo posted:

Its pretty dumb, honestly, because combat averages 12-30 seconds, so you can fit an entire "adventuring day" of 6-8 combats into less than 5 minutes, so what the hell would even interrupt you for an entire hour?

I think this is the point right? Like things should not interrupt the long rest unless they're really dire (e.g., you fought and now need to hurriedly flee to safety someplace hours away).

The idea is that you can be interrupted for a few minutes (up to an hour) and then continue your rest - rest for 2 hours, get into a small combat, spend some time talking for up to an hour (3 hours total so far), then rest for 6 more hours (total of 9 with the interruption) and you're good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The rule says it only counts as an "interruption" if the strenuous activity lasts longer than an hour, but there is no limit on the number of interruptions or a cumulative time limit. This means you can have an unlimited number of 59 minute interruptions and not disturb your long rest. The rules also do not forbid taking short and long rests at the same time.

The optimum strategy is to begin long resting immediately at the beginning of the day and never exert yourself for a period longer than 59 minutes. This way you can accumulate "long rest" throughout the day between activities and double dip whenever you short rest. If you need your spells back after 8 hours of a grueling dungeon you can take the final minute of your long rest and continue on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

The rule says it only counts as an "interruption" if the strenuous activity lasts longer than an hour, but there is no limit on the number of interruptions or a cumulative time limit. This means you can have an unlimited number of 59 minute interruptions and not disturb your long rest. The rules also do not forbid taking short and long rests at the same time.

The optimum strategy is to begin long resting immediately at the beginning of the day and never exert yourself for a period longer than 59 minutes. This way you can accumulate "long rest" throughout the day between activities and double dip whenever you short rest. If you need your spells back after 8 hours of a grueling dungeon you can take the final minute of your long rest and continue on.

:hmmyes:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rutibex posted:

This is, sadly, incorrect. Strenuous activity, such as fighting and "adventuring activity", interrupts the long rest and pauses the timer because it's not sleeping or light activity. But that strenuous activity does not reset the timer until you've spent an hour doing it. So you're still gonna have to pack in your 8 hours between fights and "adventuring activity."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would just plan a gauntlet that spawned its last enemy on round 601 every time the party takes a long rest. Eventually the problem players will either quit the game or get the hint. Either way, problem solved :agesilaus:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'd talk to my players.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
When the designers said 6-8 encounters per day, they meant rooms full of save-or-die traps. This is why goodberry balance seems off.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

theironjef posted:

I'd talk to my players.

Nah, you gotta break their spirit first. Then you can have a conversation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess if Goodberry is a problem you could house rule it to be a class feature rather than a spell. Let rangers and druids cast it once a day without using a spell slot, but it can't be cast with spell slots. That lets you feed 10 creatures a day and do a little healing, but not do a ridiculous amount of healing.

Goodberry is great if you want to have a pet panther. Otherwise rations for a 150lb obligate carnivore should be a problem pretty often. Many snakes and birds of prey have a similarly problem diet. There are lots of animals that would be cool for a ranger or druid to have as a buddy that could be a real hassle. Goodberry lets you abstract that away without totally ignoring it. You can feed any 10 creatures a day. Kitty will probably be cranky if you give her a berry rather than fresh meat, but she'll survive until you can go hunting.

For clerics create food and water is a level 3 spell. 15 people or 5 mounts. Doesn't heal poo poo. Why is it so much higher level than Good Berry? I'm guessing because Clerics are less likely to have exotic pets.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

For clerics create food and water is a level 3 spell. 15 people or 5 mounts. Doesn't heal poo poo. Why is it so much higher level than Good Berry? I'm guessing because Clerics are less likely to have exotic pets.

It doesn't even have a ritual tag. Just mind boggling.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Rename it to Badberry

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mango sentinel posted:

It doesn't even have a ritual tag. Just mind boggling.

If it had the ritual tag a cleric could feed hundreds of people a day. Why are you adventuring when you could be feeding hundreds of starving people instead?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
D&D doesn't function well as a food production/economics simulator. Or a "survival in hostile climates" simulator. The Goodberry's potential problem is that it's a storehouse of free HP. Even then they're not good to use in the middle of combat, so it's not going to turn PCs immortal. 10 HP per casting has diminishing returns as PCs level up and get more HP, not to mention the myriad other ways PCs can be ground down via exhaustion, conditions, and life-draining attacks which can temporarily reduce one's maximum hit points. Goodberry isn't as powerful in groups with larger than normal parties including animal companions.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

If it had the ritual tag a cleric could feed hundreds of people a day. Why are you adventuring when you could be feeding hundreds of starving people instead?

Because you worship some fun "have adventures" god and not some boring "be a baker" god.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess if Goodberry is a problem you could house rule it to be a class feature rather than a spell. Let rangers and druids cast it once a day without using a spell slot, but it can't be cast with spell slots. That lets you feed 10 creatures a day and do a little healing, but not do a ridiculous amount of healing.

Goodberry is great if you want to have a pet panther. Otherwise rations for a 150lb obligate carnivore should be a problem pretty often. Many snakes and birds of prey have a similarly problem diet. There are lots of animals that would be cool for a ranger or druid to have as a buddy that could be a real hassle. Goodberry lets you abstract that away without totally ignoring it. You can feed any 10 creatures a day. Kitty will probably be cranky if you give her a berry rather than fresh meat, but she'll survive until you can go hunting.

It's the reverse compatibility problem. Goodberry has existed as a druid spell since 1E Unearthed Arcana, so like many spells in 5E it exists because it existed before. Interestingly, the 1E version limited the healing you could receive from the berries at 8 hp per day. It's in the 5E spirit not to make you track how many berries you scarfed down in one day, but that would be an easy fix.

Until 3E, the spell was a 2nd level Druid spell. Whether 3E dropped it to 1st to reflect the healing numbers from the spell or because they were recalibrating from the earlier 1st-7th level Druid spell range to the 1-9 range is hard to say. Having it at 2nd level and Create Food and Water at 3rd makes good sense, as after all, the berry only provides for the food requirements.

Unless you read "nourishment" as covering food and water, which isn't consistent with past versions of the spell, but is potentially consistent with the English language.

One might reasonably ask, however, why the designers would make it so easy for the two classes most likely to be able to hunt or forage for food while traveling to negate the need for hunting or foraging.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Narsham posted:

One might reasonably ask, however, why the designers would make it so easy for the two classes most likely to be able to hunt or forage for food while traveling to negate the need for hunting or foraging.

I bet the answer is "one player back in the 70's wanted to play a nature-attuned character and came up with this spell as part of their repertoire, and it became enshrined in The Lore forever after"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm surprised there's nothing in the Goodberry spell description that says you can't eat more than one a day. It provides you a full day's nourishment, you'd think that 2 would be a struggle, 3 would be repulsive, and 10 would make you explode like a Monty Python sketch

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Roll constitution to see if you die from the LD50 of goodberry vitamins

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

change my name posted:

I'm surprised there's nothing in the Goodberry spell description that says you can't eat more than one a day. It provides you a full day's nourishment, you'd think that 2 would be a struggle, 3 would be repulsive, and 10 would make you explode like a Monty Python sketch

They work for any creature, from a vole to a dragon, so it can't be a fixed nutritional value. Implied is that the berry is able to evaluate the nutritional needs of whatever has ingested it and magically meet them.

So my assumption would be that if you ate two, the second would generate no additional nutrition because you don't need any.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bogan Krkic posted:

Roll constitution to see if you die from the LD50 of goodberry vitamins

gonna have a character who eats dozens of goodberries inflate like violet from charlie and the chocolate factory

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I drank half a bottle of goodberry wine and now I can't fit through the door to my house

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mixing a bunch of goodberries into peoples breakfasts to prank them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

The effects of 10 goodberries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yqw_f26SvM&t=75s

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Narsham posted:

We know the answer to this though: the entire "exploration" "pillar" was a complete afterthought, and it's still so underdeveloped they deal with it through a bunch of random DM suggestions and adventures with bespoke travel cruft for the setting.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Looking at the five pre-made heroes that come with the Starter Set, they do not appear to indicate a Subclass. Is that accurate, or have I missed something blindingly obvious? (Probably!)

I have no intention of making new players try and choose a subclass, but if we go beyond Phandalin (most likely into Storm Kings Thunder) I'd like to know if these pre-made heroes map to a particular Subclass (in which case, the players can just stick with that); or if I need to make the players choose a Subclass at that stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Moreau posted:

Looking at the five pre-made heroes that come with the Starter Set, they do not appear to indicate a Subclass. Is that accurate, or have I missed something blindingly obvious? (Probably!)

I have no intention of making new players try and choose a subclass, but if we go beyond Phandalin (most likely into Storm Kings Thunder) I'd like to know if these pre-made heroes map to a particular Subclass (in which case, the players can just stick with that); or if I need to make the players choose a Subclass at that stage.

Martials don't get a subclass until level 3 and casters are Cleric(1), Sorc(1), Druid(2), Wizard(2) and Warlock(1).