Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, grumpier than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

serious gaylord posted:

This thread has been really nasty at times for the last few weeks. Its not been pleasant.

It's the football that does it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NikhilCh_/status/1414675307290718209

https://twitter.com/Annareporting/status/1414659375264894980

https://twitter.com/sophiamcoutts/status/1414675793050062850

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1414671618073366529

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope we see a lot more of this. Along with Gary Neville it's nice to see actual substantive criticism of these ghouls on such a public stage.

Incidentally BBC News appears to be the only major outlet without a mention of Neville's comments on its homepage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bump_fn posted:

an italian doctor i know had her tires slashed at the hospital today england should never have nice things. garbage country

Wtf. Is the implication here that her co-workers did it, or was her car plastered in Italian stickers or something?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've been pretty snippy recently, been some family health issues and arguments, not been a good time. But that's no excuse

Apologies for that, and to the people to whom I've been snippy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've been pretty chill

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1414672590468227074

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wtf. Is the implication here that her co-workers did it, or was her car plastered in Italian stickers or something?

someone either heard her speaking italian or knew her vaguely through the hospital would be my guess (she did not have a giant flag on her car in celebration)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
we don't deserve Marcus Rashford

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What utter demented scum

E: the tire-slashers not Rashford

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does london... normally flood?

I assumed that was a problem they had figured out by now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I must have hay fever or something. My eyes are a bit wet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's the football that does it.

we're in end stage capitalism and possibly the end of the world

people are going a bit weird everywhere. Even the political unconscious can't help but notice some of the effects.

Whatever happens the world as we know it isn't long for this earth. Maybe a decade?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
God I loving LOVE this team. Just absolutely outstanding people who deserve every bit of support we can give them. I want to send them cakes or something. If the England team generally become outspoken on politics as players like Rashford, Sterling and clearly Mings are, it could have an absolutely massive effect on the country.

Also wanna give apologies for if I’ve been a bit cranky - think life’s just getting to a lot of is at the moment!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Hasn't he only been in the job a week?

Willie Rennie has been Scottish Lib Dem leader for a loving decade.

serious gaylord posted:

This thread has been really nasty at times for the last few weeks. Its not been pleasant.

People say this about the thread for as long as I've posted it it. It wasn't true then, it's not true now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Regarde Aduck posted:

we're in end stage capitalism and possibly the end of the world

people are going a bit weird everywhere. Even the political unconscious can't help but notice some of the effects.

Whatever happens the world as we know it isn't long for this earth. Maybe a decade?

Nah the imperial core will chug along for good few decades yet, gradually getting shitter and shitter until we live in children of men. There's not going to be some collapse of the ussr level complete undoing of everything we know in a few months, at least not unless something completely out of left field happens.

Then again they probably thought that in Moscow in the 80s, so eh

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i sympathize a bit with some england fans as a boston sports fan

most of us are just utter garbage

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jakabite posted:

God I loving LOVE this team. Just absolutely outstanding people who deserve every bit of support we can give them. I want to send them cakes or something. If the England team generally become outspoken on politics as players like Rashford, Sterling and clearly Mings are, it could have an absolutely massive effect on the country.

Also wanna give apologies for if I’ve been a bit cranky - think life’s just getting to a lot of is at the moment!

These are a special bunch. Footballers in the past have been loving idiots.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Does london... normally flood?

I assumed that was a problem they had figured out by now?

Not normally, no, and when it does the water's normally coming up, not down.

I'm a bit baffled because it was definitely raining a lot harder yesterday than it is today, and it's not like we've had a long dry summer to let all the drains get blocked up with debris when it *does* start raining. I assume it must be a microburst just over Muswell Hill (it can happen over any high ground of course) temporarily overwhelming the local drainage.

e: wtf, it's a big chunk of west London:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57805391

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm a bit baffled because it was definitely raining a lot harder yesterday than it is today, and it's not like we've had a long dry summer to let all the drains get blocked up with debris when it *does* start raining. I assume it must be a microburst just over Muswell Hill (it can happen over any high ground of course) temporarily overwhelming the local drainage.

That was my thought, there's a big fuckin river running through it so you would think as long as that's below the street level it should be fine?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

drat, wonder if my old estate is flooded- it’s basically the lowest point on the other side of Muswell Hill from that flood..

*sits smugly at 250m elevation, many miles from london*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

People say this about the thread for as long as I've posted it it. It wasn't true then, it's not true now.

"for as long as i've posted in this thread people have been saying the people posting in this thread is horrible" is somewhat of an odd admission

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think its the same weather front that drenched Poole & Bournemouth this morning. We had 48mm of rain in 4 hours and it flooded everything low for a few hours and now its just gone away.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That was my thought, there's a big fuckin river running through it so you would think as long as that's below the street level it should be fine?

Nah, we have loads of streets that are lower than the river - the high-tide level is about halfway up the first floor of my house, worryingly, and all of our defences point east because the flood risk to London is almost 100% from very high tides coming up from the North Sea. However that sneaky bastard H2O has decided to attack us from the sky this time, just like the Germans.

Double-checking the weather I'm even more baffled because the Met Office only has a yellow weather warning and the Beeb just say intermittent showers, some of them heavy. The amount of poo poo hitting west and south-west London is even more baffling because like I say you *can* get massive sudden downpours on the lee side of big hills, the hills around London are mostly to the north and south, the high ground to the west is much further off, and the wind's coming from the north, and that sort of effect is normally limited to a couple of miles from the ridge.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

With sewers backing up such that your toilets are overflowing into your house what the gently caress do you do? I don't even know how I'd cope with that.

Thank gently caress I live on top of a 500 foot hill in Sheffield...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That happened in Copenhagen a few days ago. Maybe it's the curse of the Euros.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm in West London and I think it was heavier rainfall than normal. Just in general the rainfall recently has been pretty heavy. Reminds me of those two storms last February.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You don't really need a dry summer to block up drains - a bit of wind will knock twigs/branches off trees and that can be enough to stop the gutters draining quickly enough to prevent a bit of localised flooding.

Hopefully half of Muswell Hill being underwater might trigger a few journalists to think about whether climate change might actually have an impact on their lives.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

With sewers backing up such that your toilets are overflowing into your house what the gently caress do you do? I don't even know how I'd cope with that.

I bought a 'toilet bung' which in the event of a flood -I can inflate and put down the bog if it looks like flooding. Cost me £50.
I've also planned my furniture in case of floods eg instead of the bookcases I had planned to buy when I moved in, I had twinslot shelves erected with the lowest at least 1m above the floor. Things at floor or near-floor level are 'sacrificable'.

I live about 10m (or less if it's running high) from a river in a ground floor flat. It was literally a hand's breadth from coming over the back wall Feb 2020 and a lot of the local area badly flooded (including up to 1m depth in some homes). (Flat was listed as 'low flood risk' when I bought it late 2019).

https://www.m3floodtec.com/shop/products/inflatable-toilet-bung-m3tlb

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An inflatable toilet bung is when Tories print money to give to their mates.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe it’s just recency bias, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen rain as hard as what we had this afternoon in Acton.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

These once in a hundred year weather events seem to be happening every few weeks now...

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

These once in a hundred year weather events seem to be happening every few weeks now...

A relative in Canada was hospitalised recently with severe dehydration, during their 45+C weather, and still believes climate change is nonsense.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Just flush the water away, duh.

Actual advice - hit your main circuit breaker, get anything you can as high up as you can, wait it out and then invest in a mop.

*Generally speaking* rainfall in London wouldn't normally cause water to back up out of the toilets even if the street is underwater - the capacity of any local sewer is bigger than the drains into it can supply - the problem comes if either there are blockages in the sewers or your sewage requires pumping up to get to the interceptory sewers. As Barnes is quite low-lying and right at the far end of the system that would explain why they got the automatic dirty protest.

Also that poo poo can happen at the top of a hill, especially east of the Pennines, because of the rain shadow effect which is normally in your favour with the clouds dumping all their rain on Lancashire and Wales, but if you get a particularly nasty North Sea storm coming in from the east it's gonna bukkake rain right into your sewers which aren't set up to deal with that sort of load, so you could get the special dado rail too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Makes me glad for once that I've got the one upstairs WC and that special type of split soil pipe that's banned by at least three code changes now and occasionally makes the back yard smell of poo poo, but means there's no way for sewage to flow back into my house because it'd rain down in a fountain of night soil all over the back yard 4 feet beforehand.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, scientists stopped calling them that because people started to think it means after you've had a 100 year storm, the next 100 years will be guaranteed extreme weather free. On average they will be, if you stick around for geological timescales.
It's a "1% annual probability of exceedance" now, which nobody uses because it sounds less cool.
In engineering design, we use rainfall models developed in the 90s. In the early 10s we started adding a 20% fudge factor to allow for climate change. Recently that's gone up to 40%. poo poo's hitting the fan. Then the combined sewer overflow, running into the river and washing up on the beach.
Nice to see you're still around btw.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Generally speaking* rainfall in London wouldn't normally cause water to back up out of the toilets even if the street is underwater - the capacity of any local sewer is bigger than the drains into it can supply - the problem comes if either there are blockages in the sewers or your sewage requires pumping up to get to the interceptory sewers. As Barnes is quite low-lying and right at the far end of the system that would explain why they got the automatic dirty protest.

It's also because there's been a lot of work to separate the older combined drainage systems into separate foul and surface water networks. So even if the surface water network is overwhelmed and you have overland flow, the foul network doesn't see it.
Where that fucks up is if some charlatans have connected a section of surface water drainage into the foul network because it meant they didn't have to dig around and find the right buried pipe. When overland flow hits the connection, the foul network becomes pressurised (surcharged) by the surface water and tries to reach equilibrium by reversing every khazi in the neighbourhood.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I knew I hated iCrud.

I don't want work whatsapping me in my personal whatsapp.
So, today, my boss gave me an old iphone (iphone 6 I've ascertained) but it is locked and noone knows the code.
It didn't come with a data cable or charger.

I have a cable it can charge with so I charged it up. BUT it doesn't do data as I have discovered.

Professor Google has several articles on how to reset it if you don't know the password, but it needs a data cable.

I have '00s of cables (my mother complains about my wires collection - I keep them in one of those shoe hangers on the back of the 'airing cupboard' (that doesn't air but I digress) - each pocket carefully labelled. But I do not have a iCable.

The slide to power off slider doesn't work either. So then I thought maybe I could take the battery out and something or other I don't know. But you need a special bloody screwdriver for it a miniscule penta thingy. And so I found out I can turn it off by holding down the side button and the home button simultaneously. I am not an octopus this is a major feat of manipulation so I accidentally keep turning it back on and getting locked out for another 15 mins.

Proprietary cable, proprietary screwdriver, inbuilt obsolescence - this phone is no longer supported by apple.

Reluctant to spend a £1 in Home Bargains on a wretched iCable.

And while I'm whinging, I'm supposed to be Finance but seems like I'm also IT (there's no IT dept, there are only 3 employees including yours truly - there's Top Boss, My Boss and moi).
The top boss' desktop has ceased to function - amber light comes on flashing but nothing else happens - I can do Wordpress so this naturally means I can also fix poorly computers. 'Can you have a look at my computer if you've got a minute' so I had that on its side and open this afternoon blowing out the dust, and discover it was a reconditioned tower.

I'm guessing the CMOS battery might have gone so that's another trip to Home Bargains to purchase a 99p new CR2032, worth trying before it goes down to the computer shop. Anyway, I warned her I might accidentally fry the innards and if so, we can take the hard drive out (never backed up naturally) and attach it to one of the laptops to get any stuff off it. Probably.

Grr.. mainly an iCrud grrr.

And while I'm whining, let me tell you about my going round in circles with the HMRC trying to get them to send my wretched tax code to my employer so I can stop being charged 20% of my pay in emergency tax for a 4th month!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 13, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My 12th July in Norn Irn went reasonably well, Lambeg Drum noise was limited by distance thankfully and my next door neighbour gave me a glass of vodka as he thought why should it only be Orangemen who get to enjoy a lovely day, we also celebrated our mutual escape from English triumphalism over a game of football (it's not the players but the media that we detest). :cheersbird:

Now i can return to my utter hatred of the Tories in peaceful solitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

It's also because there's been a lot of work to separate the older combined drainage systems into separate foul and surface water networks. So even if the surface water network is overwhelmed and you have overland flow, the foul network doesn't see it.
Where that fucks up is if some charlatans have connected a section of surface water drainage into the foul network because it meant they didn't have to dig around and find the right buried pipe. When overland flow hits the connection, the foul network becomes pressurised (surcharged) by the surface water and tries to reach equilibrium by reversing every khazi in the neighbourhood.

I don't think we've done much of that in London because ultimately digging a Channel Tunnel-sized new combined sewer under the river is easier than digging up every single road in the city for new storm drains, and besides water running off the streets of London probably isn't something you want in the river untreated if you can avoid it.

I think they made them do it at the new developments at Nine Elms and Battersea because they were starting entirely from scratch and had easy access to the river, but like I say properly separating them over the majority of the city would need the whole lot to be torn up and started from scratch which sounds like it might be bad for Thames Water's profits.