Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

What's this from it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I Think You Should Leave is the funniest sketch show of the past 15+ years. I think it's on Chappelle Show level in terms of laughs per minute

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

speaking of new sketch comedy im cautiously optimistic about the new KITH

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has anyone still been funny 25 years after their prime? I'm gonna watch it but idk if I expect it to be good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sam Richardson is the absolute best funniest most handsome man I love him and want to be him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

someone shifting fighting styles from when he was his own person , then to the fighting style of someone whose spirit took over his body after grafting that guy's on arm, because the original guy's dad was a medium?

Yeah, but also two old guys fight and get so tired that by the end theyre just slapping each other ineffectively at the end

Also instead of being subtle about the homoeroticism of two men punching each other they just kiss

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

indigi posted:

I Think You Should Leave is the funniest sketch show of the past 15+ years. I think it's on Chappelle Show level in terms of laughs per minute

suffice it to say, Karl's a LOT.

e: seriously the Karl Havoc skit is so fuckin funny

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spuckuk posted:

What's this from it owns

Flashpoint, Donnie yen movie. I think it's on hoopla

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StratGoatCom posted:

I'm hearing reports that Rick and Morty is jumping the shark.

last 2 eps were pretty bad, so far worst season yet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked the first two episodes because they were comical escalations of interesting sci fi concepts which i consider to be rick and morty at its best but the captain planet parody was weirdly toothless the evil middle aged exploiter planeteers were underexplored as was the fact that planetina was an emotionally underdeveloped pedophile and the ending expects us to care way too much about mortys relationship with her and way too little about the ecoterrorism with the b plot just being aggressively pointless

evil sperm monsters accidentally created by morty whacking off in a sperm collecting machine is a good concept but one that badly needed a room guy to tie it together the chuds just pop out of nowhere for no real reason but there could have been really funny escalation there if following mortys lie to rick and ricks lie to the president that then the president decided to lie and blame the chuds for political reasons and then the chuds lie and blame someone else and so on and so forth until were just at the point where the sperm monsters all died in the first act but the apocalypse is going to happen unless morty admits he whacked off in the sperm collecting machine

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

idk, i always get major "online reviews of the simpsons from when it was airing" vibes from the way people talk about new rick and morty. the last two haven't had the immaculate unity of high concept and plot that the best episodes have, but the jokes are still there. morty picking a favourite sperm and ensuring it was the last one standing in front of the giant egg without thinking about what he was doing was extremely good.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The planeteers one wasn't terrible I guess, it was just a retread of things we've seen before, but kinda not put together as well and with some dumb lib takes about ecoterrorism.

The sperm one was dogshit though, really.

The leaked 7th ep is kinda good again, so maybe the season won't be all bad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

watch the post morty bit where they explain that Planetina breaking up with Morty would have been boring

it was quite forced but having Morty break off the relationship was well done

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Morty's a lib, film reel at 10.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tubgoat posted:

Was this ever a surprise

While Rick actually probably is a libertarian like his worshipers believe and that's why he's loving miserable, and why a whole society of Ricks who could do literally anything choose to just recreate American capitalism because they don't know anything else.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

correct

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Morty stole the rings of the planeteers, who were established to be exploiting her, and the show just didn't care to explore the implications of that on their relationship. He literally owned her.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I mean Harmon is a lib who desperately wants to be friends with Elon Musk, so that was ot exactly a surprise

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There was an argument that the quality was high enough to overlook it at one point, but it no longer holds water.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I thought the first episode of the new season was really good and a classic example of the good formula where they take a classic sci-fi premise to an absurd extreme. Others have been more hit or miss.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

R. Mute posted:

Morty stole the rings of the planeteers, who were established to be exploiting her, and the show just didn't care to explore the implications of that on their relationship. He literally owned her.

he never wore them after that, though

like, conspicuously -- he could have been more effective helping her etc but he was just kinda there getting more horrified at how far she went

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i haven't seen the newest episode but i thought last week's was fine and the season so far has been fine. it's a cartoon and if it makes me laugh i'm good. The only episode after season 3 I really disliked was the slut dragon one

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

heres a fun fact to keep in mind for those of you who think china hates free speech because they dont allow local distribution for every lovely american movie

https://twitter.com/joonlee/status/1414637472215097346

the american media market is completely hosed when it comes to non english imports and only slightly better for english imports that originate outside of the united states

no one ever notices comments or cares about this because chauvinistic beliefs about the inherent superiority of american media culture mean that it doesnt occur to most americans that these barriers even exist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BTS absolutely belongs on top 40 radio. they played that one Cardi B song where the dude raps in Spanish right, no reason to keep Korean off the airwaves

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It has to be close though. I'm still a little amazed at how big k-pop has gotten in the US, and surely media corps will find a way to capitalize on that soon, or won't be able to keep ignoring it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk if there’s a way for traditional media to capitalize on it really, unless they’re going to syndicate all their reality shows on NBC or something I’m not sure what they could do. I doubt most BTS fans are listening to top 40 radio at any point in their day

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
i'm reminded of that all Anglo Kpop group where the manager seemingly was going off of 90s American boyband aesthetics and completely missed that the key to every kpop group is that you fill the roster with twinks

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rick and Morty is distilled "do you get the sci-fi reference" and expects you to laugh at that.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I saw the new Purge movie and wasn't prepared for it's politics. The film is obsessed with immigration and white nationalists and is all at once pro-immigration, anti-labor, pro-capitalist, and anti-imperial. I haven't seen any other Purge movies and was expecting more gruesome violence but a lot of the time it was '90s Red Alert live action cutscene tier, CGI was everywhere and terrible. There were jump scares, one dumb contraption to grab the SAW crowd, a female lead, and a few very lazy attempts at nuance.

For a disposable genre action movie it's worse than Snyder's Army Of The Dead because the production value is so low, but Bautista's acting was worse than anything in either movie. The weird attempts at politics are the most interesting part of The Forever Purge and make it somewhat worth watching.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jul 13, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder if there were a bunch of rewrites because it's a Purge movie in 2021, post-Trump and cis-pandemic, and the studio doesn't want to catch heat.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Almost certainly, the first minute basically establishes the Purge was instituted because of divisive wedge politics. It's honestly a little reminiscent of the Justin Timberlake music video in Southland Tales, or a videogame.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Jul 13, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The Purge started out as a really convoluted way to do a home invasion movie and then as it went on just expanded into class warfare and ends up saying that Americans would absolutely make a culture out of killing each other without consequence (and have).

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Huhn the guy who wrote the purge movies also made the movie Jack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_DeMonaco

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Huhn the guy who wrote the purge movies also made the movie Jack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_DeMonaco

that the one where Robin Williams is a reverse Benjamin Button and Cosby hangs out in a treehouse with the Seinfeld karate kid?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
reverse benjamin button

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The Purge started out as a really convoluted way to do a home invasion movie and then as it went on just expanded into class warfare
It was always class warfare, the whole point of the original The Purge was that the homeless are already without the societal protections we take for granted and subject to random violence from sociopaths searching for "societally acceptable" targets.

Anarchy added government death squads operating under the cover of the purge and an organized anti-purge resistance.

Election Night added the targeting of politicians under the cover of the purge and working with white supremacist militias for plausible deniability.

The Series added the organized anti-purge resistance operating checkpoints and carrying out targeted assassinations of pro-purge politicians, and reveals that the police have organized themselves into their own death squads.

First Purge added that the purge was always an excuse for the targeted killing of the poor and minorities, the cover story sold to the public was always a lie, and the government use of white supremacist militias to carry out the mass murder of minority churches and housing projects.

Sounds like Forever Purge is adding that the mask is off and white supremacist militias in the southwest are just openly carrying out purges of minorities and "race traitors" with no law to cover for them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1-VvE01iw

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jul 14, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was this ever a surprise

While Rick actually probably is a libertarian like his worshipers believe and that's why he's loving miserable, and why a whole society of Ricks who could do literally anything choose to just recreate American capitalism because they don't know anything else.

the level of self-criticism in that episode is amazing

rick hates himself because for all his power he isn't a God or even an ubermensch, because he cannot imagine an alternative to capitalism. he's the sheeple and "our rick" is only better in that he knows it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

that the one where Robin Williams is a reverse Benjamin Button and Cosby hangs out in a treehouse with the Seinfeld karate kid?

It's more like a, hyper reverse Benjamin Button.
By the time the jack character graduates school, he's basically a grandpa.
Benjamin button still lives a normal length life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAV0qIvrfFg

(edit: Benjamin button in the shorty story has a normal length life, I have no clue about films after 2003.)

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"hyper reverse benjamin button" = accelerated aging
not everything has to be a pop culture reference (he said in the pop culture thread)