Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
If anybody watched today, my friend Jen (librarian on far right) was on! We’ve been friends since high school, her brother was my best friend in high school, and she’s one of the nicest, smartest people I know. I’m so excited for her and so proud! My weekly trivia teammate did fantastic (although she was annoyed at her final wager … nerves)!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My wife and your friend became friends on Facebook a few hours ago. :) She loved her, and the third woman was also delightful.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

Golbez posted:

My wife and your friend became friends on Facebook a few hours ago. :) She loved her, and the third woman was also delightful.

That’s awesome. A whole bunch of us watched the episode together via Zoom and Jen mentioned how much she liked this pair of ladies she was up against. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Make sure they join the women of jeopardy Facebook group ! My wife loves that community.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Beautiful Day" was a monster hit and that was 2000 so that must've got them some newer fans. Couple other tracks off that album were hits too.

They're too big to fail at this point, meaning most of their new albums are actually regarded as bad, but millions of people feel obligated to check them out anyway. Their '80s run is still cemented as legendary in the minds of aging rock historians. Walk up to any Boomer and just start saying "War. Unforgettable Fire. Joshua Tree." and they'll spontaneously launch into a video essay about how The Edge's guitar tone changed everything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

They're too big to fail at this point, meaning most of their new albums are actually regarded as bad, but millions of people feel obligated to check them out anyway. Their '80s run is still cemented as legendary in the minds of aging rock historians. Walk up to any Boomer and just start saying "War. Unforgettable Fire. Joshua Tree." and they'll spontaneously launch into a video essay about how The Edge's guitar tone changed everything.

My boss has these massive U2 poster things in her office which I'm pretty sure were lobby decorations for a show years ago she somehow got her hands on. They're nearly wall length.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Duckman2008 posted:

Make sure they join the women of jeopardy Facebook group ! My wife loves that community.

Already in! And a group of champions! I told her she's now in multiple real smart-people secret societies, not a fake one like Mensa. :v:

Incidentally, she was a little awkward in her second interview because they had TOLD HER that the interview segment would be about our Australian honeymoon where she hugged a koala. Then they realized, what, she's a U2 superfan, we should ask about that! And she only had one segment to prepare the story.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guess the Hulu series has fallen by the wayside, Much less The Testaments.

Has there been other times where a incorrect article in a otherwise correct answer occured? I'm not sure if it should've been ruled correct

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I would have ruled against that. They don't penalize you if the article is meaningless, but I think it matters here.

I do remember the rule coming up before, but I have no idea when.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They don't penalize you if the article is meaningless, but I think it matters here.

the classic example is "invisible man" vs "the invisible man", since there's not really a "(The) Handmaid's Tale" (i don't even know which is right lol) i can understand why it's not disallowed, but i agree that it's kind of a weird rule to care about and apply the way it does

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
My wife was still at the studio and told me that there was a lot of confusion on set about that, and they told everyone to leave while they figured it out. To me, it looks like the bit where Dr. Gupta is explaining that they don't penalize for a wrong initial article was filmed later. Nikole said they will do a lot of pickups of explanations, etc. (Also, Ellen, the third place woman in Nikole's second game, her interview story ran way too long and she had to re-record it after the rest of the episode)

From me, it feels like they figured it would be poor form to boot her for "A Handmaid's Tale" when the other two didn't even get that much, and were left with almost no money. I could see it totally being a combination of trivia justice and pragmatism.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are so many third-party lawyers involved to ensure everything is fair that there is no way any of it is pragmatism and to do with how much money people have left. Ever since those big cheating game show scandals, there are lawyers involved to make sure there's nothing that could be remotely close to "cheating" at every step of the way.

Long delays while they figure out scores and answers seem to be somewhat regular. My second game we all got to stand at the podium for 30 minutes before FJ while they figured out which of my two opponents were going to get money for one particular clue they both had a stab at.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Becoming a Game Show Lawyer, poo poo, why didn't I think of that when I was asked what I wanted to be when I was a kid?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's a lawyer whose job is to literally watch as you pick one of the folded-in-half pieces of paper that says if you're going to be in the middle podium or the far end when you're going up for your first game lol.

I mean, I'm sure that's not their only job, but still...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just :lol: at the "Gamer's Delight" category with only one question "past and present" that didn't involve the PlayStation

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: at the "Gamer's Delight" category with only one question "past and present" that didn't involve the PlayStation

Uh yeah, Astro's Playroom, Destruction Allstars, and Ratchet and Clank are all Sony-published exclusives. And then a question about PS5 hardware. :thunk:

edit: completely forgot Jeopardy was a Sony Pictures production.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HookShot posted:

There are so many third-party lawyers involved to ensure everything is fair that there is no way any of it is pragmatism and to do with how much money people have left. Ever since those big cheating game show scandals, there are lawyers involved to make sure there's nothing that could be remotely close to "cheating" at every step of the way.

Long delays while they figure out scores and answers seem to be somewhat regular. My second game we all got to stand at the podium for 30 minutes before FJ while they figured out which of my two opponents were going to get money for one particular clue they both had a stab at.

Yeah, I realized my error, the game show laws are pretty ironclad. My guess is there was precedent, and they knew there was precedent for this, but didn't have it handy.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It was just weird hearing it like that.

George seems to be the Anderson route, competent but not above his normal role

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I can't get over how much Stephanopoulus looks like 1988 Michael Dukakis.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

Yeah, I realized my error, the game show laws are pretty ironclad. My guess is there was precedent, and they knew there was precedent for this, but didn't have it handy.

Haha yeah, totally. Although they still make mistakes sometimes and I will not stop being mad about Barry/Berry.

I never thought “Netflix and chill” was going to be a J! answer although technically she could have just said chill.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I know shoehorning a Sony cross-promotion into Jeopardy isn't anything new, but that PS5 category felt worse than normal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah it's not like the first time but that was somehow uniquely atrocious

and also it's not like they need to increase demand?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Who was the person presenting the playstation clues? Are we supposed to know him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I just love that two contestants somehow picked the gaming category right off the bat

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mlnhd posted:

Who was the person presenting the playstation clues? Are we supposed to know him

What's it like being OLD and OUT OF TOUCH with today's COOL YOUTH???

(I also did not know who he is)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I thought he was an intern at Sony

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems ham fisted that the category was a long commercial for the PS5, a console that has been sold out for months due to limited supply. The one exception was a game older than Nintendo's console history much less Sony or Microsoft.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really don't keep up with YouTubers, so I have no clue either.

That category was probably the worst I've ever seen. It's big failing is that all the clues were advertising something no one would likely know, so they had to be written in a way that anyone could figure it out.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I found out he is the son of the guy who did the voice of Granddad on The Boondocks cartoon

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1414763314127818753

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1414764704468176896

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What's wrong with that casting call?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It seems weird to target professors directly like that. Are they going to have a Professors Tournament? If so, isn't there a separate channel they use for tournaments that isn't just the normal test?

Maybe they want a better mix of players instead of lawyers, librarians, gamblers, and moms. So maybe they are going to have an ad targeting a different demographic on today's show?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poque posted:

you know what, i think alex here interpreted that as trying to get types ahead of talent. which, i can kinda see how that is, but there's a difference between "hey, we want [demographic] to take the test" (how i'm interpreting this) vs some sort of scheme where certain types get to jump line.

i mean, heck, i remember when maya angelou ruffled feathers talking about the small number of black contestants during the 90s.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 13, 2021

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Looking at that instagram, 99% of the posts are about Shark Tank, and three are about Jeopardy - two promoting the college tournament, and this post about college professors. I suspect this is just their "this is our Shark Tank + Jeopardy college outreach" casting director.

More college professors means more exposure to colleges means more college applicants. Gotta fool them into trying out for the college tournament, since that makes you ineligible for the real thing :v:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Poque posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, but I don't think they are going to get a ton of bites from a population that is typically more at-risk to die of COVID and is educated enough to understand they are more at risk. You're not going to get a ton of professors willing to travel, at least based on the faculty I know at a handful of universities.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Golbez posted:

Looking at that instagram, 99% of the posts are about Shark Tank, and three are about Jeopardy - two promoting the college tournament, and this post about college professors. I suspect this is just their "this is our Shark Tank + Jeopardy college outreach" casting director.

More college professors means more exposure to colleges means more college applicants. Gotta fool them into trying out for the college tournament, since that makes you ineligible for the real thing :v:

They've aired as ads the last two nights on Jeopardy as well.

Helluva Double Jeopardy today. I hope Tim can stay awhile.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
loving Marines.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

loving Marines.

I told my roommate that if I ever make it on Jeopardy that I have to wear a fictional uniform.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good player, despite his jar head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol episode was completely pre-empted by the NBA in my area. Not even pushed back to 9 or whatever they're just not airing it at all.