Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

BM Xen is good IMO, it's just the Combine factory level drags on for way too long and I have no idea why when the pacing of the previous Xen stages was pretty good.

Other than that, the main benefit to BM Xen is it makes Xen feel like the proper last third of the game, whereas it's very perfunctory in HL1.

Seemed to me like it was something they did way early on and never got around to updating for the release. Should've cut the whole segment, or made it 2 minutes long. It's horrendous.

I liked Black Mesa a lot. Some parts weren't great. Oh well. I still loved playing it for a fresh take on Half-Life and wouldn't have an issue recommending it to someone who would get turned off by how basic the original looks these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m finding the original HL a lot tougher, even on easy, when I had no issues beating BM on normal.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m finding the original HL a lot tougher, even on easy, when I had no issues beating BM on normal.

Honestly I can’t go back to OG Half-Life now. Maybe it’s because I’ve played it dozens of times over the last 20+ years but to me BM has enough QoL improvements it makes going back hard.

And I think the reason is, Half-Life’s strengths were never it’s shooting , it’s the atmosphere, which is the key area BM improves on for a whole host of reasons. I agree they don’t always hit the mark, but when they do the results are amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Explain how I’m wrong then. I get not everyone is going to agree but “Black Mesa improves on Half Life” is at statement that at worse is a difference of opinion.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

And I think the reason is, Half-Life’s strengths were never it’s shooting

:classiclol:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’ll defend this statement- the FPS aspects were fun enough versus the marines but a good chunk of the game is exploring and hitting head crabs /zombies with a crowbar. It wasn’t like Doom/Quake/Unreal where the main point of the game is to shoot every enemy you see, move on, repeat. It’s what made Half Life so revolutionary at the time. Exploration and Atmosphere were more important than being a straight shooter.

*edit*
There are entire chapters (Unforeseen Consequences, Blast Pit, Residue Processing, etc) where you don’t need to fire your weapon at all or rarely

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 12, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My very important (OG) Xen opinions are:

1) The alien factory is either too abstract or not abstract enough, and ultimately it sits in this really unpleasant middle ground where it looks and feels like a crappy Quake 2 map or something. The rest of Xen is generally okay, if not quite up to the standards of the rest of the game.
2) The boss fights aren't terribly fun.
3) In the abstract I don't mind the Gonarch I guess but it feels like a part of Valve's immature streak not unlike Mr. Friendly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only really terrible part of Xen is how it starts with a big jumping sequence built around a mechanic you've never used before, the rest of it is acceptable

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

With Black Mesa I sometimes wonder if everyone was siloed off building their own modern takes on each level, then at the end they were all put together without much consideration for the overall flow of the game. The Xen levels in the original Half-Life had a lot of problems, but they were relatively short, so they felt like the last hurdle to overcome before facing down the Nihilanth. You come from the climax of finally entering the portal in "Lambda Core", calm down in "Xen", then build the tension back up in "Gonarch's Lair" and "Interloper" for the ultimate climax of the game. In Black Mesa the Xen chapters are so extended that they are an entire second game in and of themselves, so the cooldown and buildup after "Lambda Core" is just replaced with a multi-hour grind that quickly wears out its welcome. If Black Mesa's Xen had just been "Xen" and "Nihilanth", with "Gonarch's Lair" and "Interloper" being cut entirely, it would have been a much tighter, more enjoyable experience for me.

I also find it kinda irritating that "On a Rail" was cut down because people found it long, linear, and repetitive, while the new "Interloper" lasts about three years and has you doing the same poo poo over and over again even more.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Quake 2: Ground Zero? More like...Just plain Zero.

About midway into Unit 3, the turrets show up in seemingly EVERY room, sometimes two or more at a time.
It's trash and I hate it. This Mission Pack won't let me have any fun.

I ended up playing vanilla Quake 2 for a couple more hours to wash out the stink. It's actually a better game than I originally thought.
Sometimes, just killing stuff real good is enough.

PepsimanVsJoe fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 12, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

Seemed to me like it was something they did way early on and never got around to updating for the release. Should've cut the whole segment, or made it 2 minutes long. It's horrendous.

It's a cool setpiece in theory, it just should have been as long as any of the previous Xen levels, not all of them put together.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Look, it doesn't even have ADS! :P

Edit: I actually skipped most of HL / BM / Zen talk in the last 40 posts, discussion repetition has a limit.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 12, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Re: The Xen Debate - You might be interested in the official Xen Museum addon for Black Mesa, which showcases the slow (slow) ( S L O W ) evolution and development of Black Mesa's Xen and the various things they tried.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should make a Gunman Chronicles 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And release Gunman Chronicles on Steam. What's the licensing hell for it?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

This is going to sound a little weird, but apparently somebody made a Bethesda.net account with my email and Steam name, but the only Bethesda-related products I have installed on Steam are Doom and Wolfenstein games, and I don't remember ever creating a Bethesdsa.net account through them. In fact I haven't played any of them in months and this new account was apparently made last Friday. I've tried looking through Bethesda's help site for a phone number or email address I could contact them with but there's nothing I can do except put in a support ticket, which doesn't include this kind of problem. Is there any way I could get in touch with them directly?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
When in doubt, @ them on twitter.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

They should make a Gunman Chronicles 2.

Gunman Chronicles was such a cool little game, I wish there was more support for it, or even for it to be on Steam.

I found this video on youtube about how the devs scuplted real models that they used for the game. It's really cool how much effort they put into this, sucks to see it get nearly forgotten.

https://youtu.be/bV10zq3anIA

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those are both very impressive, especially the PS1 one.

Has anyone converted the N64 version of Q2? It looks like a completely different game.

There is this, but only 3 maps got finished
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53046

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Grimthwacker posted:

This is going to sound a little weird, but apparently somebody made a Bethesda.net account with my email and Steam name, but the only Bethesda-related products I have installed on Steam are Doom and Wolfenstein games, and I don't remember ever creating a Bethesdsa.net account through them. In fact I haven't played any of them in months and this new account was apparently made last Friday. I've tried looking through Bethesda's help site for a phone number or email address I could contact them with but there's nothing I can do except put in a support ticket, which doesn't include this kind of problem. Is there any way I could get in touch with them directly?

Ticket is the only way I know of for account issues. Try to get it as best as you can?

It's a weird thing. Do you include Doom Eternal for Doom games? Because that's a mandatory Bethesda.net account. Some games, including the unity ports have quick accounts where you can just put your email and get a confirmation to complete later, but that's not in any wolf game except Youngblood.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bethesda doesn't even think my Youngblood account exists even though I'm logged into it. I had to make a second account to log into Dishonored 2

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

MJBuddy posted:

Ticket is the only way I know of for account issues. Try to get it as best as you can?

It's a weird thing. Do you include Doom Eternal for Doom games? Because that's a mandatory Bethesda.net account. Some games, including the unity ports have quick accounts where you can just put your email and get a confirmation to complete later, but that's not in any wolf game except Youngblood.

Add Doom64 to the list as well.
E: I don't know what category that falls under. That might have been what you meant.

caleb fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 12, 2021

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

caleb posted:

Add Doom64 to the list as well.
E: I don't know what category that falls under. That might have been what you meant.

That's weird, because I was fine playing both Eternal and 64 without setting up a Bethesda.net account. I'll see about putting in a ticket.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Grimthwacker posted:

That's weird, because I was fine playing both Eternal and 64 without setting up a Bethesda.net account. I'll see about putting in a ticket.

If your account is previously linked to a Bethesda account you won't get prompts and it'll just move through automatically.

So my most likely guess your steam account was already linked somehow.

Doom 64 is an optional login only.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

haveblue posted:

The only really terrible part of Xen is how it starts with a big jumping sequence built around a mechanic you've never used before, the rest of it is acceptable

someone didn't go through the hazard course

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
the quake 2 mentions made me look and see what went on with single player mapping there and i played through this. it was a bad about making the path forward clear. at one point i just had to listen to an enemy moving around to pinpoint where i needed to backtrack to. overall enjoyable, but mainly because i was having fun using the railgun again.

i only played the base q2 campaign and that was a while ago. i forgot how much i like the graphics and movement. most of the weapons are satisfying as well. it seems like the mapping never took off like q1, which i guess i'd chalk up to it being less fun to play, hl1 stealing the single player thunder a year later, and multiplayer mods like threewave and action quake being the hot thing.

there doesn't seem to be much in the way of SP total conversions or large map packs for it. maybe someday a modder will come along and give q2 it's own copper mod.... it would definitely benefit from some minor tweaks to the weapons and bestiary.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Squeezy Farm posted:

there doesn't seem to be much in the way of SP total conversions or large map packs for it.

You should look for a commercial expansion called "Juggernaut" - it is astonishingly bad. I got it back in the day shortly after playing another independent TC called Malice (for Quake 1) that I really really liked, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's just plain horrible.

It might be worth experiencing a bit of though. It will at least make you appreciate Quake 2's campaign some more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HolyKrap posted:

someone didn't go through the hazard course

Someone did, 10 hours and several real-time days earlier :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

You should look for a commercial expansion called "Juggernaut" - it is astonishingly bad. I got it back in the day shortly after playing another independent TC called Malice (for Quake 1) that I really really liked, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's just plain horrible.

It might be worth experiencing a bit of though. It will at least make you appreciate Quake 2's campaign some more.

my dad bought me a retail set of malice, quake 1, and quakezone (???) when i was a kid. he thought malice was all about fighting robots so would be less violent than quake 1. he was wrong, but the level design in malice was confusing enough that i never got very far into it.

it is very cool how innovative malice was though, with the wild amount of inventory items and driveable vehicles and such. it had that real fan TC energy that gunman chronicles had, where you could tell that some parts of were someones specific baby, so despite being way too intricate to ever really be useful, they still got put in. like the rocket launcher in gunman chronicles with 100 configuration options that you would never, ever use.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I had a PCGamer with a front cover pullout for Gunman Chronicles

I think it was just the brontosaurus part but like in in-game resolution so it was like WOW gently caress COOL

and i never got to play the game :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can still play it. You just need to buy a disk off eBay and put the key into Steam. There might be some other tweaks to make it play nice. I can’t remember.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure packaged copy that runs on steam is available in moddb. It's basically abandinware at this point

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

You can still play it. You just need to buy a disk off eBay and put the key into Steam. There might be some other tweaks to make it play nice. I can’t remember.

Gunman Chronicles never came to Steam. In fact, if you redeem it's CD key on Steam you'll be granted the Half-Life Platinum Pack which doesn't actually include Gunman Chronicles.

You can add the game files to your half-life installation folder and it'll appear in your Steam library just like a mod, but that's as close as you're going to get. This also allows you to play it in widescreen with the modern, updated goldsrc engine version.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I actually thought about mentioning Juggernaut but refrained because I thought it was just too lovely to feel like anything but a cheap shot. If memory serves, that was actually the TC that got id’s attention and compelled them to push an update to its commercial terms that stopped it from being updated to support newer versions of the executable. There aren’t really words for how awful it was as a shipping product. I’d be surprised if even someone like Civvie bothered to make a video about it - Juggernaut makes Witchaven look like consummate game design.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Decided to play Sigil on a whim, it's pretty good! Feel like the mod team really connects with what the original team was doing back in the day, pretty impressive.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

verbal enema posted:

I had a PCGamer with a front cover pullout for Gunman Chronicles

I think it was just the brontosaurus part but like in in-game resolution so it was like WOW gently caress COOL

and i never got to play the game :(

Every time that dinosaur is mentioned, I am compelled to bring up the fact that it looked so goddamn good. Like holy poo poo, I couldn’t believe it looked so realistic when I first saw it. Even nowadays, as a lot of Half-Life-era content has aged significantly, there are large portions of Gunman Chronicles that have held up surprisingly well in my opinion.

Like that gargantuan flower-faced alien worm thing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

shoeberto posted:

Decided to play Sigil on a whim, it's pretty good! Feel like the mod team really connects with what the original team was doing back in the day, pretty impressive.

What

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

shoeberto posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

shoeberto posted:

i agree op