Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i never played myst, but i did get this myst-clone with puzzles that required some knowledge of physics. it was actually pretty tough.

i was gonna ask if anyone knew what i was talking about because i couldn't remember the name, but last second it came back to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Myst clones are cool and I wish there were more, except it's also really easy to gently caress up a Myst clone since their whole thing is getting players to deduce how the world around them works so that they can make their way through it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay Uchikoshi, I don't know if "this dude's brain is literally physically wired so that he can only be happy when he's murdering" is better or worse than "the killer is just crazy"

E: MotherFUCKER! Everything comes back to 89!

:D

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I feel like part of my problem with La Mulana is knowing that it's eventually going to fall into the Myst genre of game and it's impeding my ability to solve the simple puzzles. Like, I need a specific item to pass through this gap. I've been told exactly what item it is. But, I also notice that there's some sort of weird symbol in the room that I've seen in a bunch of other rooms and I also notice that I'd be able to progress through the puzzles of several of these rooms if the map layout was upside-down SotN-style, so I keep totally ignoring the item I know I need and keep thinking "man I wonder if there's something I can do to unlock this SotN upside-down world I've completely made up and don't know if is real or not instead of just looking for the item in the locked chest I can see with my eyes"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
GMG had a 50% sale on Zodiac Age, so I'll be modding er up. MY apologies to future generations suffering from bandwidth shortages, blame Microsoft for making me have to download this game twice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obduction is the opposite kind of puzzle game from Talos and Witness, instead of working on dozens of bite-sized puzzles one at a time you have several large puzzles overlapping that may involve several separate parts of the world or offer hints to each other once you make a little progress. It’s a big playground and you don’t know how any of the rides work but they slowly come to life around you as you piece it together.

It’s also pretty great in VR even on a sub-min-spec system (a base PS4)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’ve been playing Star Wars Fallen Order and it’s a little refreshing to know that the chests are almost completely useless. 95% of them are cost metric items I completely ignore, the last %5 are in unique looking boxes and give you more healing power. Since the game is kind of so-so I’m glad I can just focus on the story beats and not feel compelled to return to old planets and hunt for chests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

GMG had a 50% sale on Zodiac Age, so I'll be modding er up. MY apologies to future generations suffering from bandwidth shortages, blame Microsoft for making me have to download this game twice.

I've never played it with the mod so I'm curious to hear how it is, especially for a first playthrough.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I beat XII once a long time ago and have tried to get back into it several times but the beginning of the game just drags when I've done it so many times. Like, I can't bring myself to just power through to Raithwall, I gotta do all the extra poo poo I normally do. I've got the game installed with the difficulty mod on and I didn't get very far (not because of the difficulty) but maybe now that I'm looking for a new game to play I should get back into it

kind of like how I always say I wanna beat Radiata Stories but can never get past the on-rails part, so I end up ONLY playing that part which makes every next subsequent attempt even worse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if you want to customize your poncho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
been in a real mario party mood lately so i popped in mario party advance and, well,

it's good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also got a mod for the difficulty mod to add text updates to all the stuff changed. Also got one to make Pipi Longstocking's hair pink. Thinking bout this mod to make Vaan into a playboy bunny or this other one that makes him into a cactite.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I also got a mod for the difficulty mod to add text updates to all the stuff changed. Also got one to make Pipi Longstocking's hair pink. Thinking bout this mod to make Vaan into a playboy bunny or this other one that makes him into a cactite.

Also I wanted to comment but forgot earlier about your frustration with decoy characters, which is an incredibly funny observation considering someone is eventually going to join your party and refer to themselves as the protagonist and Vaan will never speak again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's not quite true. Vaan's not the protagonist but he's important to the growth of the actual protagonist, who Khanstant won't have met yet. Incidentally, this actual protagonist is also not the guy who calls himself the leading man, though he's great.

I replayed the game pretty recently and Vaan's a more important (and better) character than I gave him credit for.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It is funny how there’s a Vaan and a Vayne

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t play a lot of WRPGs but is it a common thing for them to level-gate equipment? Like, I’ve been posting about Witcher 3 a bunch so that’s my point of comparison, but it feels silly to have the reward for some of those marked areas on the map to be high level gear that I can’t use yet despite having two whole games of asskicking behind him because I’m two levels under what I need to be.

Idk, it kinda seems like it could only make the game more fun to let experienced players engage in exploits to make the level 20 stuff early since I don’t have most of the high end synth stuff anyway, it just feels underwhelming, in the same way losing a lot of souls in a Soulsborne usually doesn’t matter cause of all the safety nets and rapidly diminishing returns on levels but it still has a sucky feeling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

It is funny how there’s a Vaan and a Vayne

lmao dude i was hoping there was a mod to change that, that's so bonkers. Before they said that name aloud: Vein, Van, and Von all sounded like valid potential pronunciations. Especially because Vaughn is already a real name, which also fits this weird california-surfer-boy-alladin thing he's got going on. Reminds me of RPG World comic by Ian-Jones Quartey, there was a character named Eirhkre or some poo poo, but it was just "eric."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also I wanted to comment but forgot earlier about your frustration with decoy characters, which is an incredibly funny observation considering someone is eventually going to join your party and refer to themselves as the protagonist and Vaan will never speak again

That's hilarious, I'd be annoyed if I liked JTT but I'll gladly sideline him. Pipi cute though, she can hand. I hope the cocky character is the black haired sephiroth. I was dozin in my chair during the cut-scene, but I think he was going for a sweetheart imperialist thing that was a surprise. Did I miss why the red team is bad guys, besides doing war and imperialism? Are blue team good guys, or just the slower-to-act other evil empire, and we're just generally rooting for the two indies here? I guess I am asking if Dalmations are the good guys, or their just the game's set protagonists? Any reason to believe that if their government had the size and resources of red-team, they would NOT do imperialism? All I know so far is king was maybe going to do better surrender terms.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

That's hilarious, I'd be annoyed if I liked JTT but I'll gladly sideline him. Pipi cute though, she can hand. I hope the cocky character is the black haired sephiroth. I was dozin in my chair during the cut-scene, but I think he was going for a sweetheart imperialist thing that was a surprise. Did I miss why the red team is bad guys, besides doing war and imperialism? Are blue team good guys, or just the slower-to-act other evil empire, and we're just generally rooting for the two indies here? I guess I am asking if Dalmations are the good guys, or their just the game's set protagonists? Any reason to believe that if their government had the size and resources of red-team, they would NOT do imperialism? All I know so far is king was maybe going to do better surrender terms.

Something I like about FFXII is that it has a fairly... non-fantastical take on imperialism and politics. Vayne (the black-haired "nice imperialist" guy) is a fascinating character.

The game is definitely on the "imperialism is bad" side of things so yeah, the Dalmascans are the good guys, but it tries to be less black-and-white when it comes to individuals and their motivations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think my favorite FFXII moment is when Ashe realizes her dead ghost husband wanted her to go on a revenge murder spree the entire time, and she was like, wait what the gently caress I almost destroyed the entire world for my horny dead husband.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I think my favorite FFXII moment is when Ashe realizes her dead ghost husband wanted her to go on a revenge murder spree the entire time, and she was like, wait what the gently caress I almost destroyed the entire world for my horny dead husband.

Edited in spoilers for Khanstant's sake, just in case

Also yes this part rules

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rinkles posted:

i never played myst, but i did get this myst-clone with puzzles that required some knowledge of physics. it was actually pretty tough.

i was gonna ask if anyone knew what i was talking about because i couldn't remember the name, but last second it came back to me

i played this and i remember spending a lot of time in the demonstration of light passing through color filters

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

More games should roll credits after a climactic moment/act break, especially if there’s a major shift in tone or status quo that can be underlined by the break. Eg Nier Automata, MGS V.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FFXII is probably the FF I pine the most over, just because you can see glimpses of a far, far greater game poking through the cracks. I really love Ivalice as a setting, and the game has some of the most inventively unique place-designs I think I've ever seen in a fantasy game, especially once you start getting to places like Archaedes. It's got a more grounded political drama than the original FFT and a great cast of characters who all play pretty well off of eachother. The gameplay's solidly enjoyable for what it is (RTwP without the isometric view). It just all doesn't quite live up to expectations and fails to really cohere, and you really start seeing the scissor marks once you get to the Stillshrine. The whole experience for me is haunted by the specter of what could have been had the development cycle not been such a nightmare disaster.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That would be cool.

Also more games should do a "previously on" if it detects that it's been more than a week since you last played lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

More games should roll credits after a climactic moment/act break, especially if there’s a major shift in tone or status quo that can be underlined by the break. Eg Nier Automata, MGS V.
yeah and thats why im in favor of FF14's 8 different credit rolls

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

Something I like about FFXII is that it has a fairly... non-fantastical take on imperialism and politics. Vayne (the black-haired "nice imperialist" guy) is a fascinating character.

The game is definitely on the "imperialism is bad" side of things so yeah, the Dalmascans are the good guys, but it tries to be less black-and-white when it comes to individuals and their motivations.

FFXII's plot is cool in that it's a lot like FF9, both games I love. It's a game that features multinational politics as the setting, but is also significantly about getting someone who is jaded and disengaged to put themselves on the line for a political project greater than themselves. In both places you've got the princess who is functionally the protagonist who is already dedicated to the cause, and they stand opposite from someone who is actively running away from the central conflict that is stirring in both games because they don't want to be involved. Obviously I think Zidane is a better framework character than Vaan but they serve the same purpose, and poo poo, have basically the same job

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I still wish there was more from the FFXII cutting room floor for public viewing. There was apparently a ton of poo poo for Penelo that just got straight-up cut out of the final product. It's a shame, because "two orphans thrust into a shadow war that's far and above anything they've ever experienced" is fantastic character arc stuff that only briefly gets touched on with Vaan.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i think her boots are cool, at least

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

who

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The mod to make Vans into a cactite conflicts with the SFF mod, shows as redundant if I load it first, scared it'll overwrite the SFF changes. Oh well on that one. The SFF documentation recommends some other mods, even some that don't work with theirs.

The weirdest one just gives Vaan a shirt, "nuff said" it says, but no, not enough said, what's up?

Another mod is actually just a zip file with a cheat table in it. It's not NOT modding, just not something I've ever grabbed from nexus before.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Dragon's Dogma has the best act break of all.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The weirdest one just gives Vaan a shirt, "nuff said" it says, but no, not enough said, what's up?

Vaan's abs are a decidedly unique texture, and I can't really blame anyone for wanting to not have to stare at them for too long.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a citrus fruit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do like Vaan's design with a shirt from FFTA2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i like when game physics fuckups are so notorious, inevitable, or whatever else, as to be given a name; like the Kraken in KSP, or Clang in Space Engineers

i wonder what others there are

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ciaphas posted:

i like when game physics fuckups are so notorious, inevitable, or whatever else, as to be given a name; like the Kraken in KSP, or Clang in Space Engineers

i wonder what others there are

The Swingset.

You know the one.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

Obduction is the opposite kind of puzzle game from Talos and Witness, instead of working on dozens of bite-sized puzzles one at a time you have several large puzzles overlapping that may involve several separate parts of the world or offer hints to each other once you make a little progress. It’s a big playground and you don’t know how any of the rides work but they slowly come to life around you as you piece it together.

That's part of why I was so excited about it, I feel like those 2 games really perfected the idea of self-contained puzzles spread through nice environments (with more hidden challenging ones like all the star puzzles in Talos). So a game that takes the opposite approach sounds great, I really like the idea of solving bits and pieces as I go and having a big cohesive environment to explore as well.

The Witness sort of had that too, with the full connected island layout, but everything there is so much more abstracted and gives a very different feeling. I also realised I never finished the Talos DLC, but it's been so long that I've forgotten a lot of the basic tricks that all the harder puzzles will expect you to remember.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AI, Psyncin' in the Curtain

Uh, Boss? Whatcha doin' here?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqPbBLhe7w

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

AI, Psyncin' in the Curtain

Uh, Boss? Whatcha doin' here?

:dogwhistle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

I do like Vaan's design with a shirt from FFTA2

every time i see this image i'm reminded of what a remarkable transformation putting on a shirt can be