Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Mona mostly sucks and deserves to get poo poo on by Ryuji. At least he doesn't suck as much as Teddy does later in p4.

Why, you're talking like Teddie drives his bit about the young stud so far into the ground it comes out the other side of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It really is a shame since despite his shrill voice I liked Teddy in the beginning. He's (obviously) the mascot character so I expected to find him annoying after a while. Unfortunately I was correct but not in the way I expected.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

Regarding the p5r antagonist they could have made him a lot more morally ambiguous than they actually did, but it is made pretty clear that he has no qualms with killing overwriting the brain of anybody who refuses to submit to his grand design, and he even says straight out to Rumi that "my beloved is dead" when he does it to her.

Also it's depressing that the authors found it easier to imagine a world with planetary scale reality bending god powers than to imagine a world without wage labor or homelessness but that's a topic that has been beaten to death already. But yeah paradise is characterized by the stock market endlessly going up and the more the stock market goes up the more paradiser it is.

I mean that is the point though. The P5R villain is not really dealing with the issues and is just creating a nicer version of the world that the big bad in P5 was trying to create.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It feels like they had to work really really hard to make a character as bad as Teddie. Like the writers room was full of people, sweating in the blistering summer heat, some sleeping on their desks from exhaustion, trying to find the exact worst thing for a character to say in every single line, until the whole room goes silent when they collectively realized they have created one of the worst characters ever

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It feels like they had to work really really hard to make a character as bad as Teddie. Like the writers room was full of people, sweating in the blistering summer heat, some sleeping on their desks from exhaustion, trying to find the exact worst thing for a character to say in every single line, until the whole room goes silent when they collectively realized they have created one of the worst characters ever

I do wonder if he's as annoying in the Japanese.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched a streamer go through all the spinoff games and was surprised that they could make him even worse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Teddie's voice in Japanese is terrible

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I dunno, I liked his interactions with Aigis and Labrys in Arena. Despite the obvious conflict of "Shadow and anti-Shadow robot," he does a good job with the "I'm not human, and that's ok" bit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Teddie suffers horribly from Flanderization in spin-offs, where he just hones in on wanting to score with girls and jealousy over other cute things like Koromaru.

He's probably the worse in that regard because at least Akihiko and Chie don't flip to just actively demeaning.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

TeddieEveryone suffers horribly from Flanderization in spin-offs

He's probably the worse in that regard because at least Akihiko and Chie don't flip to just actively demeaning.

Even in the base game though Teddie is just completely annoying constantly.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Funky Valentine posted:

Let's be honest, fusing Yoshitsune to begin with was going to trivialize the game, trait or not.

Surprisingly not the case entirely since they countered this strategy by making a lot of late game hard enemies immune to physical in some way. This was countered by just using a concentrated morning star a few times though lol

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arist posted:

Teddie's voice in Japanese is terrible

Never forget Rise's JPN voice too :v:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm of the opinion that I tolerate Morgana as much as I do because Cassandra Lee Morris uses a voice of a lower pitch for him than I would expect out of a mascot character. If he was squeakier I think I'd loathe him

Of course, I also tend to like most of Morris' roles because she's very good at her job

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I do wonder if he's as annoying in the Japanese.

he's immeasurably worse

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teddie is so much worse in Japanese. There's no winning with Teddie but his English voice at least doesn't actively hurt to listen to.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Teddie and Rise are the reasons I refuse to use Japanese Voices, yes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Doesn't his Japanese version just say "Kuma" like a Pokémon instead of making cheesy bear puns too?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Doesn't his Japanese version just say "Kuma" like a Pokémon instead of making cheesy bear puns too?

Yes, kuma.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also: three palaces down

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

is it necessary to grind in Persona 4? It's definitely a touch jankier than P5R but very charming (this prologue is long as hell)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I played on Normal my first playthrough (and my second on Hard was NG+ so difficulty goes out the window), but I didn't have to grind much just taking the fights that came my way, and someone more willing to plan out long-tail fusion chains (or maybe just better at the game in general) probably wouldn't have to grind at all. I know the biggest recommended grinding point is before the boss of the Void Quest dungeon, to get a Black Frost with Agidyne and Mind Charge.

I should mention that I played the Vita version of Golden, the Steam version IIRC has more granular difficulty options enabled from the start (they were NG+ only in the Vita version) so you can set exp and money up while you're grinding to speed things up and leave damage and defense and stuff the same.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm late to the bosses theme talk but I love p5r's throw away your mask.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbw6hF7tHns

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I did incredibly little grinding in my playthrough of the base game. Grinding is mostly an easy way of overcoming the first two bosses or so, which are admittedly tough, but have specific tricks that make them much easier that a casual player probably wouldnt encounter (like knowing to level up Slime so he gets Red Wall)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Persona 4 usually has a little early grinding just because you have only three party members and very limited Persona choices.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://personacentral.com/persona-25th-anniversary/

https://p-ch.jp/p25th/

Countdown for new Persona stuff 2021-2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As long as at least one of them recognizes that P1/2 exists I will be happy.

I'd prefer a bunch of new games but that's unlikely to happen with this franchise.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I finished P4G.

This is an interesting approach to preventing Post Persona Depression: overstay your welcome so hard that the player is glad to be done with it by the time The End comes up. Like I was only a little bit sad to see the squad run along the platform and then stop at the end as the train left the station and I expected that it would hit much much harder. Maybe I'm just old and miserable and my dopamine receptors have long since turned into scarred husks, I dunno.

And I didn't even hang out with Marie or get the Hollow Forest event or the true golden ending or the post-ending time skip epilogue and thank gently caress for that frankly. The ski trip was hilarious and had me grinning like an idiot but even then I feel like the extra Golden stuff actually harms the game on balance on account of the once-tight pacing just going completely to poo poo. If it just ended with Ame no Sagiri and I'd skipped the Izanami dungeon (why did this need to be a whole extra dungeon) then I'd have finished with a much higher opinion of it. I guess I'll come back and do a playthrough that includes Marie, later. Much later.

Still a good game, don't get me wrong, but other than Persona 3 (so I hear) this series really seems to have trouble sticking the landing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

Still a good game, don't get me wrong, but other than Persona 3 (so I hear) this series really seems to have trouble sticking the landing.

Yeah I said this recently but 4/5 both have Final Bosses, and then the game doesn't stop and goes on for another six hours before you fight the Final Boss But Worse. But, I also think that's partially because 4/5 both kind of fancy themselves to be mystery games. 4 is pretty explicit and 5 has the same brand of Sherlock Holmes-style twists. P3 has a twist but it's much more incidental and the game doesn't hinge its storytelling on it nearly as much as 4/5, where the twists are like the highest action point of the plot and the moments the game has been building up toward. The "true final boss" things feel more like extensions of that desire to keep the mystery going, one last surprise! With P3, you know exactly what's coming and so it's much more thematically coherent because the whole game has been building up to that moment instead

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that P5 manages to have a better and more coherent twist than 4 will never not be funny to me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Persona 6 with Nanako as the protagonist

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's no way the Social stuff is going away now, but I hope the break from 5 to 6 is at least half as large as the one from 2 to 3. I really don't want the same story framework as the last three games. That said I don't get peoples obsession with making the cast adults, Megaten has like 4 games starring adults. And it really doesn't change as much as people think

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno guys I think they're getting ready to announce persona 6

just a hunch

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'll go with female protag, actually.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly kind of looking forward to any info about the mobile game because I'm a sucker

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Female protagonist only in persona 6.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, even if it's just a bunch of current-gen ports for older Persona games, I'll be fine with it. Give me a definitive edition P3 with manual inheritance and both the femc and The Answer, and I'll be happy. If they're actually announcing P6... Let's just say I'll expect that one to be the tail end of this anniversary thing, the one in Fall 2022, if it comes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'd be way more excited for a shorter dev cycle on Persona games. 3 -> 4 was almost exactly two years, and then you've got eight years to 5. Seems like if we've learned anything in the last decade about JRPGs, at some point longer dev cycles strictly make the game worse (FF15, Type-0, Kingdom Hearts 3). P5 wasn't bad per se but it wasn't eight years in the oven better than 4. Plus, with how much we know was left on the cutting room floor with regards to the whole road trip idea, I think it's really easy to see the cracks and seams of P5. Would way rather have something like Three Houses where the game was obviously barely over the finish line but just totally went for it, and that was a four year dev cycle from Fates?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tired Moritz posted:

I'll go with female protag, actually.

About time for the Girl with Earring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Next year will be six years from when the original P5 dropped, so it does also make sense that a new one would be coming. Royal will only be two years old by then