Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

drat the mouse showed up at the office huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m glad he types his apology letter exactly as he talks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I respect the asian community, BUT

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m glad he types his apology letter exactly as he talks

Seriously. I can hear his cadence and emphasis so clearly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
ESPN+'s price is rising by a dollar again.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dexo posted:

drat the mouse showed up at the office huh

Is it wrong to ask why he isn’t fired or put on suspension for this? Not trying to play straw man here, but this seems like the kind of thing that would be ending the career of a lot of other personalities at the network, or at least jeopardizing it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stephen draws eyes with his hot takes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

Is it wrong to ask why he isn’t fired or put on suspension for this? Not trying to play straw man here, but this seems like the kind of thing that would be ending the career of a lot of other personalities at the network, or at least jeopardizing it

Immediately firing the highest paid talent on their network, whose job is to be incendiary, isn't really a thing you're likely to see.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stephen draws eyes with his hot takes

I’m sorry, but that’s a lovely double standard. It’s a “hot take” that other people wouldn’t be able (and SHOULDN’T be able) to express. That’s not a hot take, it’s a racist one, and it’s not the first time he’s expressed anti-Asian sentiments like that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair being incendiary doesn’t mean be incredibly racist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

GPTribefan posted:

I’m sorry, but that’s a lovely double standard. It’s a “hot take” that other people wouldn’t be able (and SHOULDN’T be able) to express. That’s not a hot take, it’s a racist one, and it’s not the first time he’s expressed anti-Asian sentiments like that.

Yes it’s a double standard, welcome to America

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
People aren’t tuning in for anything they’re doing but live sports and First Take. Stephen A is gonna have a job there until either he gets bored of raking in money hand over fist or strokes out with his final word being “blueberries” as a single crab Rangoon slips from his hand.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I never used an English name instead of my very obviously Asian birth name even though I moved here in elementary school. I'll never forget going a pretty senior interview and being told at the end by the guy interviewing me that "my English was a lot better than he expected".

Stephen A said some stupid poo poo but I didn't really read it as anti-Asian. He probably would've said the same poo poo if it was a Spanish-speaking player that used a translator. Calling for the guy to be suspended/fired is just stupid. Let him show contrition and learn from his mistakes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’d actually love for him to be fired and then join the alt right and tour with Whitlock and Shapiro.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
On the bright side I’m sure the thousands of shrugging dipshits saying “well he’s the best at what he does!!!” as a defense of SAS and his ilk are totally gonna stop defending him now

And also on a somewhat related note I am glad Dan Lebatard can’t cut to first take sound any more. Has made the show slightly more listenable

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Adun posted:

I never used an English name instead of my very obviously Asian birth name even though I moved here in elementary school. I'll never forget going a pretty senior interview and being told at the end by the guy interviewing me that "my English was a lot better than he expected".

Stephen A said some stupid poo poo but I didn't really read it as anti-Asian. He probably would've said the same poo poo if it was a Spanish-speaking player that used a translator. Calling for the guy to be suspended/fired is just stupid. Let him show contrition and learn from his mistakes.

I don’t read it as specifically anti Asian, so much as anti English speaker and anti introvert. Like somehow someone isn’t a complete sports star, or a draw worthy of marketing, if they can’t verbally spar over a press conference.

Shades of Naomi Osaka here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MilesGarrettTV/status/1414960429655281676

I'm not about to defend Steven A because he deserves that poo poo, but it's very funny to ya boy how SAS is forced to eat crow and take it on his own show. Meanwhile the entire Jump crew was outchea defending Nichols just as if not more racist statements.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1415020470731255813

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn :stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That is insane for a non-US soccer match

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
England being in the final was enough to draw me as a first-time watcher.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stephen draws slanty eyes on his hot takes

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Was curious how this compared to the World Cup and was kinda shocked at how high the WC final numbers are. 18m for 2018, 27m for 2014 and 25m for 2010. Interesting to note that before 2018, the broadcast was on Univision + ABC/ESPN and in 2018 it was Fox/Telemundo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't know what it was about the timing or marketing or what but I'm super casual about soccer and found myself watching from the group stage and made a point to catch nearly every game of the knockout rounds and really enjoyed it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Akileese posted:

Was curious how this compared to the World Cup and was kinda shocked at how high the WC final numbers are. 18m for 2018, 27m for 2014 and 25m for 2010. Interesting to note that before 2018, the broadcast was on Univision + ABC/ESPN and in 2018 it was Fox/Telemundo.

2018 also had the United States miss the tournament, which probably made an impact as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/1415007436898021378

lol at this jamoke

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Opting out of having to wear those lovely uniforms this year isn't a bad decision at all.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

BTW this is why the Nigerians were upset.
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1414650399760523272?s=19

edit: this isn't the full clip. It gets progressively worse as he goes through a few more names.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 14, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
basically the entire Nigerian team has played in the nba and people are talking about them like the team from The Air Up There

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Redgrendel2001 posted:

BTW this is why the Nigerians were upset.
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1414650399760523272?s=19

edit: this isn't the full clip. It gets progressively worse as he goes through a few more names.

SAS is gonna be the Black Don Cherry.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

basically the entire Nigerian team has played in the nba and people are talking about them like the team from The Air Up There

Yup. Same thing with the Aussies to a slightly lesser degree.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I remember during the 2000 (or maybe 2004) Olympics when one of the female Australian swimmers just casually referred to her Chinese opponents as "The Chinks" during a post-race interview without even batting an eye and just wondered what the hell was going on

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a group of da baby enthusiasts, doubtless

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

that reaction has also been dumb but for different less racist reasons. Australia is probably one of the 3-4 best teams in the tournament. But with Nigeria people are acting like they all grew up in huts and used old milk crates for hoops when the whole team went to high school and college in the US.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Akileese posted:

For a lot of Americans, soccer seemingly only exists during the World Cup - I'm the office "soccer guy" and a lot of people would come into my office asking if I'd been watching "the FIFA" so I guess it makes sense that that uber-casual audience is starting to bleed into the Euros.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Three members of the Nigerian team play for the Miami Heat for God’s sake

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so this is floating around

https://twitter.com/mmccarthyrev/status/1415455220931481601?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

She'd be dumb to go back to ESPN unless they were offering her gently caress off money.

gently caress them.