Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

90s Solo Cup posted:

"...that happened" totally sums up my thoughts here.

Although the horse people concept was cool. I would have enjoyed an episode that made the sperm bit a throwaway gag and focused solely on burrowing horse folk.

Hahaha well, when I was a teenager, I quickly learned not to use socks, shirts, or anything of the sort. Paper towels, toilet paper, KleenexTM brand facial tissue--I used whatever was close at hand and disposable to ensure that, as you say, the sperm bit was just a throw-away gag.

And y'all got some strong opinions on how people should groom their pubes. Be sure to bring it up in public as often as you can. If it doesn't get you laid quickly and often, you're just not bringing it up often and randomly enough, especially in situations where the conversation doesn't really need to include your preferences on the subject of pubic hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

mutata posted:

Jesus christ this thread lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I kept thinking “thank god a new episode is coming so people will stop over analyzing the morality of a drat Captain Planet gag.” Some monkey paw must’ve curled up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The episode was ok. I don’t know why people are like mad mad about it lol. There’s gonna be more

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Well goons, glad to see this discourse is alive and well in these threads.

I worked on this episode more than a year ago and I don't remember much of it to be honest. it changed so much since I last saw it. but there was a stand out thing that I got to contribute too which was very important and personal to me which I will share with you all.

Spoiler obviously but

The post credit scene has an astronaut doing some repairs on a space craft. In script it actually called for it to be the space shuttle and that's what the storyboard artist drew as well (cant show you that drawing until next week per our art sharing terms) I'm sort of the Nasa enthusiast on the crew, and this was an issue for me since by the time the episode aired, there will have not been a space shuttle in space in over a decade. I was very sad when the shuttle program ended so I wanted to change this space craft to something more accurate to how NASA currently gets into space. I showed the writers and directors images of the SpaceX dragon and Nasa's Orion capsule and pitched that since its a sci-fi show, it would be better to have our space stuff be a bit more accurate. They liked the idea so they let me draw sort of an amalgamation of the two space crafts.

I drew a bunch of other stuff for this episode too but this was my one little creative contribution to assure some level of science space'y type credibility.

Typical fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 13, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

It was better than gazorpazorp, which isn't a huge accomplishment but hey.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Takes No Damage posted:

just start screaming it over and over in different character's voices until it becomes funny.

I would argue the weakest episodes of the show hinge on the repetition of one crude joke with writers expecting that the crudeness to carry the episode even after the novelty wares off: Slut Dragons, and Giant Incest Baby being good examples. Where as the better episodes explore the implication of a high sci-fi concept: the council of Ricks, Rick's Ex partner that's a hive mind, the parasites that can only create positive memories or the Asimov cascade.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 13, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually wait, this reminds of something that absolutely blew my mind. I listen to this podcast hosted by two zoomer women from Canada and one of them was telling a story about being in a cabin in the woods and it was the first time in her life she’d ever tried to jack off without Wi-Fi and she was like “what am I supposed to do, just use my imagination? No way!” and I felt like 1,000 years old.

Hey man just because you can do it doesn't mean everyone is capable of doing a 100% completely hands-free mind bust.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

side_burned posted:

I would argue the weakest episodes of the show hinge on the repetition of one crude joke with writers expecting that the crudeness to carry the episode even after the novelty wares off:

Come on man, Get SchwiftyTM :coal:

Coxswain Balls posted:

100% completely hands-free

:thunk:

:shlick:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

race of underground dwelling cannibal horse people we're always fighting
yeah the chuds

Oh crap... Cannibal Horse Underground Dwellers.

CHUDs.

Jesus, I only now get that.

Well, at least there was one honestly good bit in there.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

mutata posted:

Jesus christ this thread lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

....:kstare: what the hell was that?

Typical posted:

I worked on this episode more than a year ago and I don't remember much of it to be honest. it changed so much since I last saw it. but there was a stand out thing that I got to contribute too which was very important and personal to me which I will share with you all.

Spoiler obviously but

The post credit scene has an astronaut doing some repairs on a space craft. In script it actually called for it to be the space shuttle and that's what the storyboard artist drew as well (cant show you that drawing until next week per our art sharing terms) I'm sort of the Nasa enthusiast on the crew, and this was an issue for me since by the time the episode aired, there will have not been a space shuttle in space in over a decade. I was very sad when the shuttle program ended so I wanted to change this space craft to something more accurate to how NASA currently gets into space. I showed the writers and directors images of the SpaceX dragon and Nasa's Orion capsule and pitched that since its a sci-fi show, it would be better to have our space stuff be a bit more accurate. They liked the idea so they let me draw sort of an amalgamation of the two space crafts.

I drew a bunch of other stuff for this episode too but this was my one little creative contribution to assure some level of science space'y type credibility.

This is cool though, top quality art as usual. Full marks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Oh crap... Cannibal Horse Underground Dwellers.

CHUDs.

Jesus, I only now get that.

Well, at least there was one honestly good bit in there.
Seriously? What did you think it meant?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I gotta admit I'm lukewarm on this entire season so far other than the first episode. The last three episodes would be decent other show episodes, but Rick and Morty has always kept me wondering where it's going even if the entire episode doesn't work. These episodes have just been way too predictable and boring. I don't even think it's lack of Harmon, but moreso lack of Roiland. Like Solar Opposites season 2 beings it in spades. The city in the woods episode especially.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Voltron episode is a lot better than sperm wars episode.

It's got a weird turn into Goodfellas though. It's like the chicken fingers episode of Community but it doesn't logically connect as well.

Typical posted:

Spoiler obviously but

That's cool as all hell man

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chris Knight posted:

Well, it's also a movie reference.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Yep. This is what I immediately thought of.

People Of A Certain Age saw this movie's VHS box art on the shelf of every corner video rental back in the day.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What was the last episode they used the portal gun? It feels like the show has totally dropped portal guns and now is 100% using the UFO car. Which seems weird because the UFO car seems like a thing from earlier in the show when he was scraping together trash to make inventions. Now all rick technology is hyper manufactured military grade stuff.

This season has had no portal gun and only one episode with Rick's drinking spittle.

It's especially noticeable in episode two, what with 1) the emphasis on decoys being limited to "self-contained terrestrial adventures" and 2) in multi Rick scenes/body swaps the spittle is used to identify "our" Rick. So coming back at the end to the "real" family it stands out that it's only denoted by them being on an extra-terrestrial adventure, not by the use of the portal gun or spittle.

Typical posted:

Spoiler obviously but

You and your work are beautiful

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

side_burned posted:

Some one the writers room loves the phrase giant incest baby.

I have my suspicions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_pbV8M73A0

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
In Mortyplicity (decoy episode) anyone know what that thing hanging in the trees when they're running through the forest is?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I'm kinda annoyed that this episode has ruined chud as an insult for Trump supporters because now people are going to assume its a loving reference to this trash episode. I was tempted to turn it off and watch something else about halfway through but I held out hoping there'd be a good payoff in the end, but nope. Pretty mediocre season so far.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Fighting Sperm might be the worst episode of the show but everything about this E7 nonsense is absolutely top tier. More of the kind of completely insane genre mashup I thought slutdragons did well, but also with actual funny jokes. By far my favorite gag is Rick's gun that looks like a Rick and as it rapid fires lasers it says "bangbangbangbang..." in his voice the voiceovarians

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A lot of the episode 7 jokes were early 2000s anime parody stuff seemingly straight from Kappa Mikey but the rest was good. Better than the sperm episode for sure

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vernii posted:

I'm kinda annoyed that this episode has ruined chud as an insult for Trump supporters because now people are going to assume its a loving reference to this trash episode. I was tempted to turn it off and watch something else about halfway through but I held out hoping there'd be a good payoff in the end, but nope. Pretty mediocre season so far.

lol....

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Yea congrats you pointed out the original source we all knew about. The point it that it was a perfectly good and popular insult that now people are going to assume is just a lame R&M reference.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yea I'm sure R&M has the power to completely rewrite that lexicon :rolleyes:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh no! Now everyone at this hipster coffee shop will think I like Rick & Morty!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Saying Chud irl already means you’re internet poisoned, the term being on the Back to the Future parody show will probably have no effect on its use

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vernii posted:

Yea congrats you pointed out the original source we all knew about. The point it that it was a perfectly good and popular insult that now people are going to assume is just a lame R&M reference.

Lol come on

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
They might as well have just ended the episode with Rick saying “Check please!” If they were gonna end it on a wet fart of a gag. Which I guess is the point when the writers realized they had no way to close the episode.

Maybe this was all just a Decoy Family episode.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

I am really glad that I have never watched community.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Community rules

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

side_burned posted:

I am really glad that I have never watched community.

you missed out

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Community at its peak was one of the greatest network comedies but Harmon entered his own rear end around season 3 and the show never quite reached that high again. Had a great final episode though

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CelticPredator posted:

Where the poo poo can I watch this lmao. I paid money and I can’t watch it.

lol imagine paying money for something you can stream an hour later

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanted to be lazy and watch it in my bed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, you know what was funny in the sperm ep? Blazen turning out to be a big loser.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want another Roiland gets drunk and says nonsense episode. Those are my favorite

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, you know what was funny in the sperm ep? Blazen turning out to be a big loser.

You know what? That's right. The last few moments of his life were one great moment after another. I was actually laughing.

It was like reaching into a bucket full of hobo diarrhea and finding a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup that was hermetically sealed in the latest diarrhea-proof container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

HelleSpud posted:

This season has had no portal gun and only one episode with Rick's drinking spittle.

E7 has both :smuggo:

Also in that episode, the gag of killing a kaiju centipede by putting each of its legs into 100 little cement blocks and throwing it into the ocean is :discourse: