Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Slavvy posted:

Lmao you didn't gain a horsepower don't kid yourself bud. In all likelihood you lost some. A worthwhile sacrifice for a cool noise, maybe.
i was being humorous with the stats like how stickers add horsepower but i kinda had a sixth or even seventh sense that you were going to post this

next up is handlebar swap

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

i was being humorous with the stats like how stickers add horsepower but i kinda had a sixth or even seventh sense that you were going to post this

I once had a guy with a terribly cut up cb400 super four try to convince me that horrible pod filters + bits of drink bottle and glove fingers + hilariously overdone ebay jet kit + stubby eardrum killer can added up to turning his 60hp bike into an 80hp bike. He was extremely disappointed when it lost a drag race to an r3.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Just heard from my sibling that my lil nephew blabbed to my parents that I have a motorcycle. Now I have to have the fourth most-awkward conversation with my parents in the near future. The MSF course did not prepare me for this.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

T Zero posted:

Just heard from my sibling that my lil nephew blabbed to my parents that I have a motorcycle. Now I have to have the fourth most-awkward conversation with my parents in the near future. The MSF course did not prepare me for this.
Hey you never know; I showed my dad my bike (fully expecting a lecture/disapproval) and he thought it was awesome and had a bunch of questions about it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

My quote from when my parents came to visit recently:

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want the lecture"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

Tell them voices from the internet have assured you it's safe.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

In the theme of Newbie-Confidence . I've moved. With that has come new everything. new roads, new drivers, new weather, new bike.

And as such, It feels like I'm riding like absolute garbage. I don't think it helped that I've had a series of minor "incidents".

• lost traction on a manhole (and the roads are littered with them *everywhere*)
  • met my first unexpected gust of real wind mid-turn.
  • Spent 10mins sitting at lights, because my bike wasn't getting picked up by the sensor. It wasn't until a pedestrian waved me onto the bicycle segment I moved on. (Which turns out, is totally unenforceable so I'm just sitting there from now on)
  • Nearly ran head-on to a hiace who took a corner a little wide on a hairpin turn.

I guess it's just a time/practice thing. But it's certainly taken the wind out of my sails.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've got a dumb question- I bought my bike used from a dealership and they have it an oil change with the bike at 300 miles. Should I be good to get everything but the oil change done at the 600 mile tune-up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Check your local laws on the “sitting undetected at a light” thing. Wisconsin has an allowance for motorcycles to run red lights if they have sat through two cycles of lights.

Since some lights won’t cycle if they don’t detect cross traffic, the law basically chalks up to “don’t be dumb about it and no one will bother you as long as you aren’t just blowing red lights all day”.

We don’t have lane splitting but we do have that dammit

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The one light on my commute that is on a sensor instead of a timer is directly in front of the police station. I run through it on red fairly regularly, and while I have no idea what the local law says I’m sure I’ll find out eventually…

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Got my license on Saturday and I'll (hopefully) have a bike by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to contributing to this thread and the rant thread in the near future

Anyone here live in Brooklyn/NYC?

edit: I'm looking at a 2002 Harley Sportster 1200 with a handful of upgrades for $4000. Good or bad?

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 13, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

I've got a dumb question- I bought my bike used from a dealership and they have it an oil change with the bike at 300 miles. Should I be good to get everything but the oil change done at the 600 mile tune-up?

What kind of bike? You may not need to do anything at all.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Got my license on Saturday and I'll (hopefully) have a bike by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to contributing to this thread and the rant thread in the near future

edit: I'm looking at a 2002 Harley Sportster 1200 with a handful of upgrades for $4000. Good or bad?

That is a terrible, terrible bike to learn on. Far too big, far too heavy, far too powerful AND it has Harley's unique weird stuff they do. If you're set on a cruiser you really want something <750cc at the very most, but you should really get a small normal bike in the ~300cc range because you first bike is largely about learning not to die, looking cool can come later. From what I understand about American pricing you should really be looking to spend about half that much on a learner bike and a good chunk of the rest on decent riding gear so you don't die.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Slavvy posted:

What kind of bike? You may not need to do anything at all.

A 2020 MT-03. The 600 mile checklist in the owners manual pretty much like some minor checks and an oil change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

A 2020 MT-03. The 600 mile checklist in the owners manual pretty much like some minor checks and an oil change.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Nothing on that bike is doing to fall off if it hasn't already, it isn't an Aprilia. The only things they'll do is check the chain tension and throttle freeplay and those are both things you should be capable of doing yourself if you give any kind of a poo poo at all, it's easy and fun and you'll understand how the bike works, plus dealer monkeys are terrible at their job and it's best to use them as little as possible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

1200cc is too much to start on. Even though it's a cruiser with lopey geometry and pretty neutral power delivery, it's still a tremendous amount of torque and it's heavy.

If you like cruisers, the current Honda Rebel 300/500 (essentially the same bike aside from power) is a great choice. I know a few people with them and they love them. It's new enough that you can get one with ABS, which is an important safety feature.

Other small cruiser options:

Suzuki Boulevard S40
Kawasaki Vulcan or Honda Shadow in the sub-750 range
Yamaha V-Star 250 (small) or Honda Rebel 250 (microscopic)
Sportster 883 if you have to have a Harley

But honestly the first thing you should do is the MSF. Did you do that as part of getting your license? If so, what kind of bike did you ride there? If not, go sign up for it right now.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 13, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

1200cc is too much to start on. Even though it's a cruiser with lopey geometry and pretty neutral power delivery, it's still a tremendous amount of torque and it's heavy.

If you like cruisers, the current Honda Rebel 300/500 (essentially the same bike aside from power) is a great choice. I know a few people with them and they love them. It's new enough that you can get one with ABS, which is an important safety feature.

Suzuki Boulevard S40

But honestly the first thing you should do is the MSF. Did you do that as part of getting your license? If so, what kind of bike did you ride there? If not, go sign up for it right now.

Moto Guzzi V7's are pretty tame too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I ride a Harley. I love it.

Don’t buy a Harley as a first bike. It’s a very bad bike as a first bike. The weight and power will make the experience not at all fun and you’ll gently caress up and hurt yourself and hate it.

Buy a 250CC Japanese bike to learn on for at least six months before thinking of going up to something else.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Took the course at Pacific Riding School - overall super happy with the experience - one day theory in the class, three days in the parking lot with a KLX250, two out on the road with a Ninja 400 (With more theory interspersed throughout) I have no idea how people can take up motorcycle riding without baseline training and continuous professional development, there's just way too much going on (Especially when the stakes are so high!)

Sanity check on a cb500x as a first bike? Looks like it outputs the same-ish max HP as the Ninja I rode, and by all firsthand accounts has a smooth and boring power delivery ideal for a newbie. Can flatfoot without issue stock and the riding position is nice and upright - going to test-ride tomorrow unless I'm an idiot.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Currently having the extended "don't buy a harley" conversation with a friend who's never expressed interest in riding before but is convinced he knows about bikes because his dad and also his friend from high school used to ride.

He hasn't managed to do any reading about how to get your license or LAMS rules or anything at all, and is basing his knowledge of how everything works on what he remembers being said by people who did their learner periods 20+ years ago.

The only harley he could legally ride here is the street 500.

I think I've convinced him to just go do his L course and listen to the instructor about this stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nofeed posted:

Took the course at Pacific Riding School - overall super happy with the experience - one day theory in the class, three days in the parking lot with a KLX250, two out on the road with a Ninja 400 (With more theory interspersed throughout) I have no idea how people can take up motorcycle riding without baseline training and continuous professional development, there's just way too much going on (Especially when the stakes are so high!)

Sanity check on a cb500x as a first bike? Looks like it outputs the same-ish max HP as the Ninja I rode, and by all firsthand accounts has a smooth and boring power delivery ideal for a newbie. Can flatfoot without issue stock and the riding position is nice and upright - going to test-ride tomorrow unless I'm an idiot.

Yeah that's a perfect bike. Flat footing the bike is something you stop caring about very quickly, it's not a thing worth thinking about when considering a bike unless it's really ridiculously tall but it's a nice bonus to know in advance that you can.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that's a perfect bike. Flat footing the bike is something you stop caring about very quickly, it's not a thing worth thinking about when considering a bike unless it's really ridiculously tall but it's a nice bonus to know in advance that you can.

Awesome, can't wait to not care. Will report back with bike.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Check your local laws on the “sitting undetected at a light” thing. Wisconsin has an allowance for motorcycles to run red lights if they have sat through two cycles of lights.

Since some lights won’t cycle if they don’t detect cross traffic, the law basically chalks up to “don’t be dumb about it and no one will bother you as long as you aren’t just blowing red lights all day”.

We don’t have lane splitting but we do have that dammit

quote:

North Carolina - (2007) Motorcyclists are permitted to move cautiously through a steady red light after coming to a complete stop and waiting a minimum of three minutes and if no other vehicle or pedestrians are approaching the intersection. (NCGS 20-158)

I meant to go look this up. :toot:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Phone posted:

I meant to go look this up. :toot:

In 2015, the Georgia legislature passed the “Motorcycle Mobility Safety Act” bill, but Georgia’s then Governor Nathan Deal vetoed the Bill. This Bill, which is commonly referred to in other states as the “Dead Red Law,” permits bicyclists and motorcycle riders to carefully ride through a red traffic signal.

motherfucker.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nofeed posted:

It's my first bike and I absolutely adore it. Pretty forgiving, and a ton of fun to ride. Footpegs are a bit easy to scrape, which I guess is a plus because it means you'll have a hard time ever losing traction.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Wow, I've learned more in 6 posts than a month with my lovely co-worker.

I'm not a big fan of Harleys, my co-worker is and showed me the listing saying it was good price for the bike, easy to work on and a good bike to go on (slightly) longer trips with. One of the main reasons I wanted a bike was to visit my family about 2 hours away so that was a big selling point for me.

Slavvy posted:

your first bike is largely about learning not to die, looking cool can come later. From what I understand about American pricing you should really be looking to spend about half that much on a learner bike and a good chunk of the rest on decent riding gear so you don't die.

:hmmyes:

You raise a good point

Sagebrush posted:

Suzuki Boulevard S40

I really do love cruisers and this is a great jumping off point, thank you. I did the MSF course when I got my license, I was on a V star 250 and it was fine but seemed to struggle even on the practice course. The Rebel looks like it's my guy so long as I can find one.

Steakandchips posted:

I ride a Harley. I love it.

Don’t buy a Harley as a first bike. It’s a very bad bike as a first bike. The weight and power will make the experience not at all fun and you’ll gently caress up and hurt yourself and hate it.

Also a convincing argument

Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it! I'm going to try for a Rebel because that seems to be more what I'm looking for

edit:
Craigslist always delivers when it comes to crazy

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 14, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Carteret posted:

In 2015, the Georgia legislature passed the “Motorcycle Mobility Safety Act” bill, but Georgia’s then Governor Nathan Deal vetoed the Bill. This Bill, which is commonly referred to in other states as the “Dead Red Law,” permits bicyclists and motorcycle riders to carefully ride through a red traffic signal.

motherfucker.

kate brown is a oval office too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Washington State might not have lane splitting or filtering, but we do have one of the best red light laws around.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.184

quote:

If the traffic control signal, including the left turn signal, as appropriate, fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic signal, the operator may, after exercising due care, proceed directly through the intersection or proceed to turn left, as appropriate.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HARD CASH

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a full-on crash cage for my 650, fully not caring how goofy it looks. I really need to get out into a parking lot to work on slow speed stuff and I'm under no pretence that the bike won't be on its side a handful of times. I'm also incredibly vain but weird in that I think rashed plastic looks worse than a goofy crash cage.

I'm totally prepared for "lol just drop the bike and get it over with and forget your plastics" but that's just not me. Ultimately I think anything that gets me more comfortable being a little more adventurous practicing will be a good thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just get a cheap dirt bike if you want to practice falling over. I'm sure you can find a beat up 110cc something-or-other for like 1k.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

do whatever you want dude it’s your bike / your money :D

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I think whatever makes you enjoy your machine more and feel more comfortable with it is a good idea.

Sagebrush posted:

Just get a cheap dirt bike if you want to practice falling over. I'm sure you can find a beat up 110cc something-or-other for like 1k.

That was true in the before times, but I don't think that's still accurate. I had a hell of a time finding my KLX230 a few months ago, and I was only able to purchase it because the sales dude made a mistake. There was almost no second hand market, and anything up for sale was just under new MSRP.

That being said, dirt bikes are the best way to practice falling down. Within the first 50 miles I think I wiped out like 4 times, but you don't really notice because dirt is softer than pavement and knee armor helps.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It is still possible to find decent deals on dual sports and dirts but you have to have HARD CASH ready to go. Yesterday a $2k XT250 came up so I sent it out to friends who might be looking with the message "if you're looking don't wait contact this guy and hand him your money" yeah it's gone, sold yesterday about 2 hours after posting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I'm thinking about getting a full-on crash cage for my 650, fully not caring how goofy it looks. I really need to get out into a parking lot to work on slow speed stuff and I'm under no pretence that the bike won't be on its side a handful of times. I'm also incredibly vain but weird in that I think rashed plastic looks worse than a goofy crash cage.

I'm totally prepared for "lol just drop the bike and get it over with and forget your plastics" but that's just not me. Ultimately I think anything that gets me more comfortable being a little more adventurous practicing will be a good thing.

You could get crash bars and it's not really bad in any way, but it would just be putting a plaster over your underlying problem, which is that your bike is too big and heavy. It would reduce you loving up your bike while trying to learn, but it won't do anything to help you learn better, because you're still trying to do ballet in construction boots ie eminently possible for a trained ballet dancer, kind of hard if you're new to pirrouettes. It is just really hard to understand what the bike is doing and what you need to do when the bike is heavy, the tyres are fat and the whole machine is designed for high speed stability. A small skinny bike, preferably something upright or dirty, is the right way to do this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah no doubt, all fair points, but in a manner of speaking I'm stuck with the poor decisions I've made so I am trying to make the best of them. I've definitely got my eye out on smaller shittier bikes to throw around. If I can find a Z125 or Grom for a fair price I've been toying with the idea, but dropping $300 vs $4000 feels like a decent way to at least getting out there. Definitely not making claims that I'll master riding with this One Weird Trick, just that it'll make me less gun-shy about at least working with what I have, to a degree.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I wanted to buy a bike for dropping but there is just nothing available here atm...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's a few here, but everyone wants near MSRP for a six year old Grom. There are a few old off-road bikes but I need something I can insure and get plated unless I plan to magically teleport it to parking lots :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you guys got xr100/150's available? What about ct110/cub?

A gn125 or something would be perfect, a Grom/-alike is probably a crap idea because they come with their own bullshit like overly tiny wheels and wheelbase etc so you're basically paying a big premium for a worse bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CBR125s are approaching reasonable prices, I just remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You'll need to put at least $200 into the grom (and probably z125) because they do not crash well at all. So just put that into your own bike that you already love and already would not want to get messed up. Go for hot pink for your crash bars pls

Otherwise yeah the things slavvy said and getasmalldualsport